BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Well 2 weeks from now the players and management will be in their hotel in Austria after their first day of training. Given that Mowbray has publicly said that he wants/expects the majority of summer business to be done before they depart (just over 12 days from now) we're either going to have an extremely busy week or so or he's going to be disappointed. That's assuming we're after at least 5-6 new players to replace departures and strengthen the squad and also need to factor in new contracts for Dack, Lenihan.

Just now, JHRover said:

Well 2 weeks from now the players and management will be in their hotel in Austria after their first day of training. Given that Mowbray has publicly said that he wants/expects the majority of summer business to be done before they depart (just over 12 days from now) we're either going to have an extremely busy week or so or he's going to be disappointed. That's assuming we're after at least 5-6 new players to replace departures and strengthen the squad and also need to factor in new contracts for Dack, Lenihan.

Mowbray has had a bit of a shocker here for me, thought this when he first came out with it; signings rarely happen as quickly as expected, all he does here is get out hopes up. 

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Mowbray has had a bit of a shocker here for me, thought this when he first came out with it; signings rarely happen as quickly as expected, all he does here is get out hopes up. 

Or more than likely he’s downgrading his shortlist to option C having been told he’s buttons to spend. Nicko suggested they’ve seen PNE ran on a budget of 12m a year (wage bill), we were 8.5 pre promotion and those promotion wage rises will now kick in. Can’t imagine we’ve wiggle room to bring 5 first team players in who will improve the starting 11. 

Hope I’m wrong.

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

How has he had a shocker? He said he hopes to have most signings done by the time the team leaves for Austria. Now correct me if I am wrong, but have you a time machine? Cos I'm pretty sure they haven't left yet in this reality 

You are actually saying he had a shocker for something that hasn't happened yet. Did you think before you wrote that? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

How has he had a shocker? He said he hopes to have most signings done by the time the team leaves for Austria. Now correct me if I am wrong, but have you a time machine? Cos I'm pretty sure they haven't left yet in this reality 

You are actually saying he had a shocker for something that hasn't happened yet. Did you think before you wrote that? 

Yes, I have a time machine. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

BDS to the rescue once more!! Tony must sleep well at night knowing any slight criticism is leapt on like a fly on shit by his trusty companion big dog 

• Like 1

One thing that is already getting on my nerves is the frequent references to 'promotion pay increases' that will now kick in and seemingly the theory is that a large chunk of our budget is going to be eaten up before we start by contracted players getting more money. 

To begin with - all these rises will be budgeted for as an expected expense written into the various contracts, just as wage decreases were written in the other way. Secondly, how many of the squad will have such clauses? Probably Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Evans - people who signed decent deals when in the Championship - but are many others really suddenly going to be getting massive wage increases? In any event, the cost of these will be expected and ought to be on Championship revenue levels and will be well outstripped by the increases in revenue from promotion.

Can't help but think these 'wage rises' are being pushed into public consciousness more and more as a means of trying to convince people that money is being spent when really it isn't and is an excuse for limited spending moving forward.

Anyway, the story goes that Venkys never refuse to sign a cheque when asked so I'm sure we'll see it happening soon.

Edited by JHRover

59 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Lad on Nickos twitter post for Konsa (Charlton Fan) suggests we are looking at Patrick Bauer.

Could be a very good signing. Would be fairly low cost, good age, tall, good goals to games ratio for a CB and looks to be ready for the step up.

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

A shocker? He’s been on holiday and the transfer market hasn’t even go going.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

A shocker? He’s been on holiday and the transfer market hasn’t even go going.

Most the players are still on holiday too.I expect Armstrong to be one of his top targets, he has been away with England at the Toulon tournament and will probably be off on his holidays now.

With the world cup being on,the premier league teams will be reluctant to let players leave at the moment as they will be needed in pre season whilst the international player's are away.

Very early to panicking over the lack of incomings. Id rather Mowbray waited and got the players he truly wants rather than rush out and make signings just to please the fans 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

I give up. For the last time...

IF ALL YOU ARE POSTING IS A LINK, PUT IT IN THE THREAD TITLED "LINKS".

It may be me, if it is I admit it's being done wrong. But it seems so, so simple to me.

Fair enough JB. No problem

I post the links on the link thread. Then a quick summary on here. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh tally ho ladyboy. I do sincerely apologise for offending your senses 

Grow a pair. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are an absolute wart. Contribute nothing but guff. 

At least the person who I was responding to had a sense of humour about it 

Are these rumours, stories or discussions ? 

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Most the players are still on holiday too.I expect Armstrong to be one of his top targets, he has been away with England at the Toulon tournament and will probably be off on his holidays now.

With the world cup being on,the premier league teams will be reluctant to let players leave at the moment as they will be needed in pre season whilst the international player's are away.

Very early to panicking over the lack of incomings. Id rather Mowbray waited and got the players he truly wants rather than rush out and make signings just to please the fans 

Exactly right. We don't want to end up in a situation where we are signing Stokes, Wes Brown, Feeney, Greer etc just to please the end bells that demand a transfer a day. Trust Tony or spend the summer watching your 94-95 season VHS

• Backroom

Back from an event at church (real righteous I am) and 6 pages of discussion...YES the signings have started!

Oh!

Anyway let’s hope tomorrow brings some concrete news!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I think that's slightly dramatic and I would imagine there are many ongoing transfer negotiations. Who is to say that 2 of the 5/6 won't come in tomorrow. Give Tony some credit. 

I don't think anyone is panicking at this stage. I was merely pointing out that the manager himself made it clear recently that he hoped or expected to have most of his business done by the time they went away to Austria a week on Sunday/Monday.

For that to come to fruition a lot needs to happen over this week and next. A couple of additions will not represent all/most business when realistically we need 5 or 6 just to make up for those who have departed.

I accept that most clubs haven't got going with transfers yet and many players and managers are still off on holiday but Mowbray must have had reason for saying he wanted it done early. Seems a strange desire to go public with if it is unlikely to be achievable. 

And we're never going to sign 5 or 6 in one day. We might see 2 announced in one day but never more than that.