BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Be nice if they could use Conway a bit like Nobbers use Gallagher coming on late and busting a gut for 15 mins trying to set things up.  Granted he's not as talented as PG but if he can get a good 15 mins out of his legs he might be handy like that.

What I don't want to see is him starting every home game as a defensive winger !

• Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

What I don't want to see is him starting every home game as a defensive winger !

This. He may have a role to play for the odd away match (sparingly) but he should not be starting at home, full stop. We need to be taking the game to the opposition at Ewood and he doesn't allow us to do that.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This. He may have a role to play for the odd away match (sparingly) but he should not be starting at home, full stop. We need to be taking the game to the opposition at Ewood and he doesn't allow us to do that.

Yep, the home form is likely what will keep us up next season so got to make the very best of it every game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt have any of PNE signings but I dont know much about them

Nothing negative at all about this. 

How can you make a judgment on the PNE players if "you don't know much about them" ?   Nonsensical.

Nothing  negative except we've re-signed 2 old codgers who are likely to struggle next year. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Barnsley have turned down bids from  2 Championship clubs for striker Moore.

Could be Rovers be one of these clubs? Anyone heard owt linking us to him

Would be seriously dissapointed if we are the club.He really isn't good enough 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

How can you make a judgment on the PNE players if "you don't know much about them" ?   Nonsensical.

Nothing  negative except we've re-signed 2 old codgers who are likely to struggle next year. 

I think calling DG an old codger is a bit harsh!

Granted Conway didn't add much last season but its been made clear he is a big part of the strong relationships between players in the dressing room so I can see the logic. 

4 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

Oztumer gone to Bolton.

Sorry if duplicate

Really good signing for them I think. Probably guaranteed first team football there, which we could not have offered him. 

Wonder if Zach Clough might be available from Forest. Always thought he had talent when he was at Bolton. Could be the type of player TM could get the best out of. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I think you are doing a disservice to DG there. His and Dack's understanding can still produce in the Championship. 

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Time to get Dack and Lenihan tied down, then get on with some real business.

Bit worrying that we’ve been sorting out Graham and Conway first.

Let’s hope they aren’t “in no rush”. Not convinced about the loyalty of either player.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Bit worrying that we’ve been sorting out Graham and Conway first.

Let’s hope they aren’t “in no rush”. Not convinced about the loyalty of either player.

Lenihan is a worry as he only has 12 months left on his contract ,hopefully he will sign a new deal as the club has been good to him.He has spent a lot of time injured and even as a youngster pre his first team debut he suffered a serious injury but the club stuck with him.

Dack still has 2 years left and an option of a third in the clubs favour so no matter what Dack wants the club could refuse to sell him.He does deserve a better deal though considering he is our star man.He has always maintained he is happy here and spoke excitedly about the coming season so not too worried about him moving on this summer.Am a bit worried about Lenihan though as if he refuses to sign a new contract and with him only having a year left then we might have to sell

On 09/06/2018 at 11:24, chaddyrovers said:

don't think we should be looking at players at 29 years old tbh. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray on striking the right balance on transfers

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/june/striking-the-right-balance/

“Where you spend the money in your team is important. Who’s the really talented free transfer who might be touching 30"

Looks like theres potential for disagreement between yourself and Mowbray...

Anyway regarding Conway, really disappointing to see him given a new deal. His legs have gone and hes too old to contribute anymore.

Only 3 things I can possibly put anyone putting a positive spin on the move down to; an ignorance to his performances last year (perhaps not seeing him that often live), a reluctance to be negative about someone whose been a very good servant, or a reluctance to be negative about any decisions made by the manager.

His first 2 and a half seasons, he was excellent, he did have Gestede to aim for during alot of that, and he was never fast, but he had enough in his legs to get that yard, often cutting back, and his assist tally was competitive with the best in the division.

He did have spells of decline during his last 2 Championship seasons, he had times in both seasons where he wasnt in the team, and last season, importantly against far inferior players, his attacking output was almost zero. And him being a good character/influence is not a reason to give him a new deal alone, we needed to be ruthless, Mowbray needed to be ruthless and I dont feel he has been.

Sadly, not only is he taking a space up in the squad and a wage (however big or small )up that could have gone to someone external capable of having an impact, but we now also risk having a good servant to the club becoming that player who people dont want to see on the team sheet for another 1 or even 2 years.

• Like 6

I'd have spent the approx. 4k a week extra on wages for Lenihan to make sure he signs a new deal. That at least guarantees you a fee in the future also. I am not a manager though.

Conway resigning is a bit of a meh for me. I'm not bothered by it because I don't think he'll start a lot of games, if any. However, I'd rather have got Dack and Lenihan sorted before him and then maybe sign Conway if we exhausted all over opportunities. There is better out there no doubt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Not too fussed either way about Conway. I do like him as a player but I’m not sure he’s got another championship season in him, we’ll see but hopefully he does!

Mowbray mentioned a few times last season how Conway was a leader and voice in the changing room and rightly or wrongly that’s probably one the main reasons Mogga wanted to keep him.

Dack and Lenihan are the priorities for new contracts.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Dack and Lenihan are the priorities for new contracts.

I can understand why you are saying this but neither of those can speak to clubs at the minute - Dack has 3 years left and Darragh - 12 months.

The two we’ve renewed had opportunity to talk to others and would’ve been free to walk on the 30th of June. Hence why I feel it’s obvious they needed sorting first.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Biz said:

I can understand why you are saying this but neither of those can speak to clubs at the minute - Dack has 3 years left and Darragh - 12 months.

The two we’ve renewed had opportunity to talk to others and would’ve been free to walk on the 30th of June. Hence why I feel it’s obvious they needed sorting first.

They're not supposed to. But I have no doubt that agents go back and forth with potential/concrete offers. Managers even meet desired players at other people's houses...e.g. Kenny speaking to Roy Keane at David O'Leary's house with clear message not to sign that new contract at Forest..( according to RK anyway)

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Lenihan is the concerning one if he only has 12 months left. You have thought that would have been done before he went on holiday. 

Being realistic, I am sure Lenihan's agent will be telling him not to sign anything. at this point.

If he has a good season and plays at international level then the offers will come from far and wide when his contract runs out.

Unless Venky's come up trumps with a big new contract very soon I think he will be gone in 12 months.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Being realistic, I am sure Lenihan's agent will be telling him not to sign anything. at this point.

If he has a good season and plays at international level then the offers will come from far and wide when his contract runs out.

Unless Venky's come up trumps with a big new contract very soon I think he will be gone in 12 months.

If he isn't going to sign a new contract then he should be sold this summer rather than letting him go for nothing in 12 months time.

He would be a loss but I'd rather we were playing people committed to the club and any fee brought in can be used on a replacement. 

Hopefully he will sign, he won't be back next week as will have extra time off due to playing internationals so we will probably be waiting another couple of weeks for news on that 1 

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Why is anyone worried about Bumley signing someone with a dodgy injury record surely it's to be celebrated it's about time they got some Murphy's and Etuhus foisted upon them !

Sad thing is though their manager will still rinse something resembling effort out of these types.

I hate to say it but Dyche has a terrific record when it comes to signings. Not many flops and quite a few players that have turned out to be outstanding signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz said:

We all know that whether or not players can legally speak to clubs that they will be told of interest of varying degrees anyway. Hurst was practically signed by Ipswich long before the season ended for him at Shrewsbury. Managers/players will know where they are wanted. The worry with Darragh is that he is a young player than can play a couple of positions that was already hunted by Championship clubs a season ago with fees of a million + touted, he got injured and that set it all back. His stock has now risen with an international cap and promotion under his belt and he is now 1 year cheaper.

He will know he will be able to secure a move with better wages possibly.  He could have his pick of clubs in 1 year time with the one offering the best wages (as the fee will be lower)  being where he goes.

Graham was a priority too but in terms of actual value to the club in a monetarily sense, Lenihan should have been sorted long ago. The longer it drags on the more concerned I get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

“Where you spend the money in your team is important. Who’s the really talented free transfer who might be touching 30"

Looks like theres potential for disagreement between yourself and Mowbray...

Anyway regarding Conway, really disappointing to see him given a new deal. His legs have gone and hes too old to contribute anymore.

Only 3 things I can possibly put anyone putting a positive spin on the move down to; an ignorance to his performances last year (perhaps not seeing him that often live), a reluctance to be negative about someone whose been a very good servant, or a reluctance to be negative about any decisions made by the manager.

His first 2 and a half seasons, he was excellent, he did have Gestede to aim for during alot of that, and he was never fast, but he had enough in his legs to get that yard, often cutting back, and his assist tally was competitive with the best in the division.

He did have spells of decline during his last 2 Championship seasons, he had times in both seasons where he wasnt in the team, and last season, importantly against far inferior players, his attacking output was almost zero. And him being a good character/influence is not a reason to give him a new deal alone, we needed to be ruthless, Mowbray needed to be ruthless and I dont feel he has been.

Sadly, not only is he taking a space up in the squad and a wage (however big or small )up that could have gone to someone external capable of having an impact, but we now also risk having a good servant to the club becoming that player who people dont want to see on the team sheet for another 1 or even 2 years.

Absolutely spot on re: Conway. Unless the funding for this season is virtually unlimited by Championship standards I find it a very strange move.

I do worry that TM is going to be too loyal and put too much faith in this squad judging by his recent comments in the LT. We have to remember that the rump of the squad got us relegated from the Championship and if TM thinks the squad as it currently stands will have us competitive at the right end of the table I fear he'll be sadly disappointed.

We need at least half a dozen quality additions who can make a difference at Championship level imo, not just squad fillers who will be back up to the existing staff.

I'd be looking for a big nasty centre half experienced at Championship level, ditto for midfield, a ball playing midfielder two wingers with pace, and two strikers who can find the net at this level.

That, or something close to that will be plenty expensive enough without throwing money away on Conway because he's been a decent servant in the past.

• Like 5