BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hate to say it but Dyche has a terrific record when it comes to signings. Not many flops and quite a few players that have turned out to be outstanding signings.

We should loan off them.

?

Just now, JacknOry said:

We all know that whether or not players can legally speak to clubs that they will be told of interest of varying degrees anyway. Hurst was practically signed by Ipswich long before the season ended for him at Shrewsbury. Managers/players will know where they are wanted. The worry with Darragh is that he is a young player than can play a couple of positions that was already hunted by Championship clubs a season ago with fees of a million + touted, he got injured and that set it all back. His stock has now risen with an international cap and promotion under his belt and he is now 1 year cheaper.

He will know he will be able to secure a move with better wages possibly.  He could have his pick of clubs in 1 year time with the one offering the best wages (as the fee will be lower)  being where he goes.

Graham was a priority too but in terms of actual value to the club in a monetarily sense, Lenihan should have been sorted long ago. The longer it drags on the more concerned I get.

Lenihan was clearly looking to move prior to him picking up his long term foot injury. If There's any hint of interest from another Club he perceives to be a better long term bet, he simply may not want to sign another deal here. It might not be due to any lack of effort on the Club's part.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Lenihan was clearly looking to move prior to him picking up his long term foot injury. If There's any hint of interest from another Club he perceives to be a better long term bet, he simply may not want to sign another deal here. It might not be due to any lack of effort on the Club's part.

Yep - it was reported that 4 or 5 (?) senior players looked to leave at the end of last season? He was one of them in my opinion. Cant blame a kid for wanted to progress his career and this has hardly been the best run club in close to a decade. 

I feel the Sheff Utd move was pretty much rubber stamped and the injury put paid to it. He could quite easily have been told that once he recovers they are there for him. Right now it would be a bit of a sidewards move as we are back but I would imagine there will now be other suitors due to his age, performance and lower asking price due to contract.

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We all know that whether or not players can legally speak to clubs that they will be told of interest of varying degrees anyway. Hurst was practically signed by Ipswich long before the season ended for him at Shrewsbury. Managers/players will know where they are wanted. The worry with Darragh is that he is a young player than can play a couple of positions that was already hunted by Championship clubs a season ago with fees of a million + touted, he got injured and that set it all back. His stock has now risen with an international cap and promotion under his belt and he is now 1 year cheaper.

He will know he will be able to secure a move with better wages possibly.  He could have his pick of clubs in 1 year time with the one offering the best wages (as the fee will be lower)  being where he goes.

Graham was a priority too but in terms of actual value to the club in a monetarily sense, Lenihan should have been sorted long ago. The longer it drags on the more concerned I get.

Depends what the club's ambition is doesn't it?

Serious about progressing and building something - then offer him a new deal on good money. He's been here for years and if he gets made an attractive offer at a club he sees is going places then he'll stay.

Not serious about it then allow him to be poached by a rival club as we have with countless others of our best players in recent years whilst coming up with cock and bull sob stories about FFP etc.

Comparisons to Hurst at Shrewsbury are different - Hurst has taken a major step up both in leagues, finances, club size in moving to Ipswich - a genuine step up in every respect - whereas we know deep down that when/if Darragh leaves here it won't be to a bigger or better club than Rovers, just one prepared to spend more money in pursuit of success. Think Sheffield United or Birmingham and that's the sort of club who will be interested.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Depends what the club's ambition is doesn't it?

Serious about progressing and building something - then offer him a new deal on good money. He's been here for years and if he gets made an attractive offer at a club he sees is going places then he'll stay.

Not serious about it then allow him to be poached by a rival club as we have with countless others of our best players in recent years whilst coming up with cock and bull sob stories about FFP etc.

Comparisons to Hurst at Shrewsbury are different - Hurst has taken a major step up both in leagues, finances, club size in moving to Ipswich - a genuine step up in every respect - whereas we know deep down that when/if Darragh leaves here it won't be to a bigger or better club than Rovers, just one prepared to spend more money in pursuit of success. Think Sheffield United or Birmingham and that's the sort of club who will be interested.

Cant agree with the last sentence but can with pretty much everything else.

Small fee or even no fee next season, up and coming player with the obvious ability to play at Championship level. He wont be on much here either as still on his first senior contract having coming up from the youth in the Championship. Resale value, potential to become a top championship and possibly PL player someday - midtabe champs clubs at the very least will have him their radar. Birmingham or Sheff Utd are not really a step up for him in terms of ambition i feel.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Small fee or even no fee next season, up and coming player with the obvious ability to play at Championship level. He wont be on much here either as still on his first senior contract having coming up from the youth in the Championship. Resale value, potential to become a top championship and possibly PL player someday - midtabe champs clubs at the very least will have him their radar. Birmingham or Sheff Utd are not really a step up for him in terms of ambition i feel.

Speculated that Rowett had an interest in him at Derby, might follow up that interest now he is at Stoke

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe the club might want to sell Dack or Lenihan and earn some more coin from our club.

Edited by JAL

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hate to say it but Dyche has a terrific record when it comes to signings. Not many flops and quite a few players that have turned out to be outstanding signings.

Wonder if he uses the dummy agents that weve used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

There aren't many, if any, clubs in the Championship that are a 'step up' in size or stature. There are some like Leeds, Wednesday and Forest that get more fans than we do but have regularly been also-rans in the Championship. Mid-table/top half sides these days are PNE, Brentford, Sheff Utd, Millwall, Bristol City - frankly I'd be horrified but not surprised to see those clubs sniffing around. 

The only ones really are the likes of Stoke, Middlesbrough and Villa by virtue of parachute cash and somehow being able to spend tens of millions on players, but that's about it. 

I'm confident he won't get a Premier League club.

You'd like to think we'd be in a position to resist those clubs as we are or at least should be expecting to be in a similar or better position than those sort of clubs but we've all got memories of the last few seasons and players moving on to rivals. 

Rovers should be moving heaven and earth to get him nailed down to a healthy, long term deal, but I'm not confident such things will be done. 

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely spot on re: Conway. Unless the funding for this season is virtually unlimited by Championship standards I find it a very strange move.

I do worry that TM is going to be too loyal and put too much faith in this squad judging by his recent comments in the LT. We have to remember that the rump of the squad got us relegated from the Championship and if TM thinks the squad as it currently stands will have us competitive at the right end of the table I fear he'll be sadly disappointed.

We need at least half a dozen quality additions who can make a difference at Championship level imo, not just squad fillers who will be back up to the existing staff.

I'd be looking for a big nasty centre half experienced at Championship level, ditto for midfield, a ball playing midfielder two wingers with pace, and two strikers who can find the net at this level.

That, or something close to that will be plenty expensive enough without throwing money away on Conway because he's been a decent servant in the past.

If you extrapolate out the points we got with Mowbray as manager in the Championship over a whole season we would have finished 9th. It was Coyle that really f8cked us I think that needs remembering. Not saying we don't need additions to the squad we absolutely do, I just don't think we should underestimate the contribution Coyle made to us going down not just the players. 

• Like 2

Coyle did a real job on us, but Mowbury has got rid of the deadwood and kept the better players. Personally i think as we stand we would survive in the championship, we just need to feather in a bit more quality. I'd also like to see some of the accadamy players given a chance when/where possible

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

Re Conway, as long as we sign some better, quicker and younger players in the same position, it's not the worst signing in the world, but as others have observed, at home, he shouldn't be starting. 

He did alright enough in a few appearances towards the end of the season, but we can't let sentiment cloud our judgement. He's been a good servant to the club, but his legs looked like they had gone last season for the most part IMO. 

37 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Re Conway, as long as we sign some better, quicker and younger players in the same position, it's not the worst signing in the world, but as others have observed, at home, he shouldn't be starting. 

He did alright enough in a few appearances towards the end of the season, but we can't let sentiment cloud our judgement. He's been a good servant to the club, but his legs looked like they had gone last season for the most part IMO. 

Maybe there was nobody else we could afford or would want to play for us.

Reading anther ex scouser S. Warnock talk about how Rovers shouldnt change too much .......desperate desperate support for a skint club.

Edited by JAL

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, JAL said:

Maybe there was nobody else we could afford or would want to play for us.

I don't know, JAL. We'll see by the end of the window if that's the case or not. There's a while yet before the season starts.....