BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, JacknOry said:

It is quite funny the impatience - I was reading the Shrewsbury board a few days ago and they were moaning that they their new manager had not made a single signing within his first week of being there. Three days later he signed two in a day and they all loved him.

Well know things move slowly in Venkyland - Ill start to worry in a week or two.

Think things will happen a little later with TM out at the World Cup for at least  ten days scouting ...

And if you believe that you ll believe anything ..☺️

• Like 1

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Think things will happen a little later with TM out at the World Cup for at least  ten days scouting ...

And if you believe that youll believe anything ..☺️

He can bring back that man mountain of a Russian striker they brought on in the second half if he likes. 

10 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

Forrest just smashed there transfer record .. we have to get this window right otherwise we are going straight back down.. this season the champs at its strongest .. you look at all the teams in it and wonder who we will finish above this season.  Im feeling confident we can finish above Rotherham that's about it at the minute

You can add Wigan to that list- Paul ‘Gobshite’ Cook and his team won’t be able to get away with their bullying again this season. Swansea dont exactly look in a great state either currently.

That’s 2, and I bet there’s more. 

Just now, scotchrover said:

You can add Wigan to that list- Paul ‘Gobshite’ Cook and his team won’t be able to get away with their bullying again this season. Swansea dont exactly look in a great state either currently.

Ah yeah Wigan ..that irrelevant I forgot about them haha ..I think Swansea will be up there .. I'm hoping Bolton Rotherham and Wigan go down ..we just need to get this transfer window right

Just now, scotchrover said:

Better than Bolton too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

Forrest just smashed there transfer record .. we have to get this window right otherwise we are going straight back down.. this season the champs at its strongest .. you look at all the teams in it and wonder who we will finish above this season.  Im feeling confident we can finish above Rotherham that's about it at the minute

Funny how differently people can see things. Obviously the transfer window has yet to pan out and will be key, but at the moment I'm expecting us to end the season somewhere around mid-table. If we assume we get at least Armstrong back, and make just a couple of decent signings, that is. The squad we finished the season with was far better than the one which got relegated, in my view. That, combined with the positive momentum at the club right now to hopefully get us off to a good start, and the fact that in our relegation season we had a thoroughly disenchanted fanbase, a horrendous manager for most of it and were still very unfortunate to go down, and I'm feeling fairly confident for the season. I've had a pretty good record predicting our seasons before they start lately...I predicted we would get relegated the season we got relegated, and my summer prediction for last season was 2nd place!

Hopefully I get it right again...I also have a feeling we might surprise many and push in or around the playoffs, at least in patches, but that will largely depend on how stellar our business this summer is.

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Funny how differently people can see things. Obviously the transfer window has yet to pan out and will be key, but at the moment I'm expecting us to end the season somewhere around mid-table. If we assume we get at least Armstrong back, and make just a couple of decent signings, that is. The squad we finished the season with was far better than the one which got relegated, in my view. That, combined with the positive momentum at the club right now to hopefully get us off to a good start, and the fact that in our relegation season we had a thoroughly disenchanted fanbase, a horrendous manager for most of it and were still very unfortunate to go down, and I'm feeling fairly confident for the season. I've had a pretty good record predicting our seasons before they start lately...I predicted we would get relegated the season we got relegated, and my summer prediction for last season was 2nd place!

Hopefully I get it right again...I also have a feeling we might surprise many and push in or around the playoffs, at least in patches, but that will largely depend on how stellar our business this summer is.

Personally think that's some rovers tinted glasses mate but I hope your right.  I feel we will just scrape survival ..depending on how we do in this window IL say 18th-20th

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Personally think that's some rovers tinted glasses mate but I hope your right.  I feel we will just scrape survival ..depending on how we do in this window IL say 18th-20th

No disrespect but you guaranteed us all that we wouldn't be in top two last season.We have no idea who we will sign so making league placing predictions at this stage is pointless.If you looked at Millwalls squad before the season started last year would you have expected them to finish as high as they did?

Just now, islander200 said:

No disrespect but you guaranteed us all that we wouldn't be in top two last season.We have no idea who we will sign so making league placing predictions at this stage is pointless.If you looked at Millwalls squad before the season started last year would you have expected them to finish as high as they did?

No not at all. Football always throws surprises. And I understand where you are coming from as I've always been a little pesamistic.  I hope everyone's right though I hope we finish around mid table but I just see us surviving that's all. I'm looking forward to see who we sign though 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He does have 3 years on his existing contract. He won't be going anywhere.

If he does its Armageddon and time to throw season tickets on the pitch!

More concerned that Lenihan isn't tied up yet.

55 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

Possibly, but I doubt it. I wouldn't have predicted us to go down if I was too far on the optimistic side I'd suggest! You did just admit to being pessimistic yourself, so maybe I look too optimistic as a result of that? I'm not generally known for my boundless optimism lol, I've been accused of being a negative person many, many times in my life. But I just call it how I see it. Not too worried about this season. I expect we might spend some little patches hovering around the relegation zone, but I do expect a roughly mid-table finish by the end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Here in lies the rub.  The squad that finished the season (including Payne, a fit Chapman and Armstrong) is stronger than the one that came down but those loanees are no longer here and there are no guarantees they will be back. Lets be honest, I've seen some optimistic fees banded about for Armstrong but realistically, if he was our player, would you let him go for less than £3 million plus add ons?  Chapman, World Cup honours for England under 20s.  Can't imagine a tribunal fee would be low.  We got £400k for Mahoney and he hasn't the pedigree of Chapman.  Jack Payne is another who would likely command a 7 figure fee.  On top of that, we definitely need another  3 first team players.  Everyone knows we need to add height and pace. As others have said, Graham is a decent proposition for 1 year.  Conway isn't unless it is very low wages.  

Our Talisman is Dack.  The first contract renewal announced should have been his.  Keep the positive momentum going.

Last year was a pivotal one, could we stop the rot?  We did and gained some momentum and belief back.  This season is massive.   We could end up with a competitive side that may bloody a few noses and have us sniffing around the playoffs - like the Rovers of old or, conversely, we could see Dack refuse to sign, Lennihan run his contract down and the players we were all enthused about signing, drift off to teams ready to spend the money.  Followed by a relegation battle.

Hoping for the former - as I've renewed!  I'd love to trust Mowbray to deliver on his pre season musings, but the cynic in me isn't convinced he will get the finances.

Final point.  From a marketing perspective,  you would want to announce the 'big' signings/news after the early bird offer has closed.  That way any exciting signings will negate the negativity of the price hike!

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

As long as as we stay up then happy days. That has to be the main aim. Anything more is a bonus, you never know in football but as a start survival has too be our main aim. 

5 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I can’t understand why some on here are not employed as football managers such is the knowledge shown by some of our members.

Stop winding yourselves and other people up. It’s silly season and now the sun has gone in I expected more of a common sense approach. Truth is we are reading constant drivel, bickering and slagging and inane comments.

TM will sign players that complement our current squad. He will if it when he is ready NOT because of a whim and prayer of some supporters.

my view is stop beating yourselves up, wait and see what happens.

we are in good hands, we witnessed that last season. Until someone on here comes up with stuff from inside the club it’s all pure speculation and that’s all. Wait for BRFc to make an announcement and chill the Kean out!???

You seem to be forgetting that it was TM himself who said he wanted to get the transfer issues settled as early as possible.

You can hardly blame fans who are uncomfortable that no new players have been signed  yet.

Plenty of time left yet obviously but this club has a history under Venkys of too little too late.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Butty said:

As long as as we stay up then happy days. That has to be the main aim. Anything more is a bonus, you never know in football but as a start survival has too be our main aim. 

Then what ?

On our way back has to mean the premiership where Venkys picked us up from.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Then what ?

On our way back has to mean the premiership where Venkys picked us up from.

We may be a league away from the premiership but as a team we are miles away. Staying up this season will hopefully give us a platform to kick on but to expect a lot more than that is pushing it. Like I said football is a funny old game and who knows it may just click for us again next season and we could find ourselves in the play off/top half mix like Millwall and Sheff Utd did this season just gone. However the real expectation for us should be survival. How can you be so negative constantly yet be crazy enough to expect us to be going up? If you offered me a 17th placed finish right now I'd snap your hand off. 

13 hours ago, Biz said:

When I saw Conway, I saw in aging but experienced winger in a physical league. Quite a few performances that echoed the team early doors - poor, but generally decent. Made one or two key contributions though, so dreadful for me is way too far - and since we currently operate with two widemen, with only CC on the books, I think a realistic backup contract for a good influence is basic squad management.

If it turns out we’ve a tiny pot to piss in, and he is first 11 choice on the basis we sign nobody else for both positions he plays, (reminding a few he covers both left and right) I’ll be equally disappointed. 

I anticipate we will sign a few atrackers though, to support DG and Dack. I’d prefer two out and out wide forwards as opposed to strikers shunted out wide, but adding Armstrong and Chapman would instantly put Craig on the fringes again, and I’m hoping we add a few more than that.

The only people happy if we were playing Conway instead of (hopefully) Chapman... are playing for the opposition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

The only people happy if we were playing Conway instead of (hopefully) Chapman... are playing for the opposition.

Another one who watches a lot of football but never learns anything.

Example; 41 minutes into WBA vs Rovers at the Hawthorns, after a succession of corners, an unmarked player taps in after a scramble. 

Is it because;

A. The less experienced/organised younger winger left his man

B. Craig Conway was on the pitch to help keep it tight and defend the flanks for 60/70 minutes...

C. Jason Lowe.

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

Another one who watches a lot of football but never learns anything.

Example; 41 minutes into WBA vs Rovers at the Hawthorns, after a succession of corners, an unmarked player taps in after a scramble. 

Is it because;

A. The less experienced/organised younger winger left his man

B. Craig Conway was on the pitch to help keep it tight and defend the flanks for 60/70 minutes...

C. Jason Lowe.

Or is it d. After defending the corner he is blowing out of his arse and wba score three late goals because Conway is to slow keep up with his man. Rovers are pegged in their own half because he can't keep up with the pace of the game and rakeem Harper posts on Twitter easiest afternoon all season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Or is it d. After defending the corner he is blowing out of his arse and wba score three late goals because Conway is to slow keep up with his man. Rovers are pegged in their own half because he can't keep up with the pace of the game and rakeem Harper posts on Twitter easiest afternoon all season.

Late goals? I doubt he’d be on the park after 60/70 minutes.

Besides, if you read the initial post in full you’d see that I reckon he’d be on the fringes for most games anyway.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Ironically I’ve never thought Conway’s defensive play was up to much often he gives it away but is too slow to get back.

He is more disciplined than some more youthful options but I would hope he won’t even make the bench for most games, with a fully fit squad last season I potentially wouldn’t have had him there and you’d hope the Squad will be better this time around.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He'll be going somewhere if the reason for not signing a contract is because he wants to leave. Like I said, I'll be happier when he signs a new contract. He did tweet talks went well a week or so ago so fingers crossed. 

I think Dack has been as clear as he could ever possibly be that he's happy here and looking forward to the Championship challenge. I've seen no indication from him that he has any intention of moving to another Championship club.

Given that he has spent his career to date in League One/Two, most of it at Gillingham, I doubt he's going to be demanding mega money or silly figures to stay. We would have given him an increase on Gillingham and another increase on that to reflect his importance to the club would be appropriate. He can hardly turn around and demand £30k a week given he's never kicked a ball in the Championship.

Of course there is an alternative theory - that either Rovers haven't got round to offering him a new deal yet or that whatever offer has been made is nowhere near what it should be for a player of his importance. Of course negotiations ought to have commenced the day after the Doncaster win to get him tied down to a long term Championship standard contract, same for Lenihan, but with Venkys at the helm I can't see it.

To some extent I can understand a reluctance on Rovers' part given Dack is completely untested at Championship level but that won't help if other clubs come knocking. Sooner or later you have to be bold and brave and give him the contract rather than allow risk or uncertainty to develop. Losing him would be a crushing blow in a number of ways.

Edited by JHRover