BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

45 minutes ago, Biz said:

Late goals? I doubt he’d be on the park after 60/70 minutes.

Besides, if you read the initial post in full you’d see that I reckon he’d be on the fringes for most games anyway.

Why. If the main winger gets injured i.e Chapman last year then Conway will be starting every week as we invested in him as back up instead of someone who can run

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Heard from who?

I doubt it, he was being linked with Celtic & Wolves earlier this week.

My friends son is over and back to Gillingham on trials.  His father saw it in some WhatsApp group to do with this. 

Where was he linked with them? I hadn't heard of him before yesterday to be honest 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Why. If the main winger gets injured i.e Chapman last year then Conway will be starting every week as we invested in him as back up instead of someone who can run

Flippancy does you know favours in this debate OG, and if you think releasing Craig without a single wideman on the books is a good idea, I dread to think how you’d manage a football team.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

My friends son is over and back to Gillingham on trials.  His father saw it in some WhatsApp group to do with this. 

Where was he linked with them? I hadn't heard of him before yesterday to be honest 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/14/report-glasgow-rangers-and-celtic-both-hold-talks-with-sean-clar/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/14/do-wolves-winning-sean-clare-race-would-pour-salt-in-aston-villa/

Granted, not the most reputable source for transfers, when I saw the links it prompted me to have a little look at him as I'd never heard of him either, then you post about him, strange coincidence!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sounds like a great lad to have in the locker room. Keep the young lads in check. All signings aren't as black and white as some on here think they are 

But whilst I appreciate that professionalism, experience, all these buzzwords, are important traits. They are not enough to earn a contract alone. You need to be offering something on the pitch and me and many others seem to think that hes not offering enough any more. The argument of "he must be good for morale therefore no one can question the decision" is a faulty one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

Flippancy does you know favours in this debate OG, and if you think releasing Craig without a single wideman on the books is a good idea, I dread to think how you’d manage a football team.

Well presumably he'd sign someone else! 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I think Dack has been as clear as he could ever possibly be that he's happy here and looking forward to the Championship challenge. I've seen no indication from him that he has any intention of moving to another Championship club.

Given that he has spent his career to date in League One/Two, most of it at Gillingham, I doubt he's going to be demanding mega money or silly figures to stay. We would have given him an increase on Gillingham and another increase on that to reflect his importance to the club would be appropriate. He can hardly turn around and demand £30k a week given he's never kicked a ball in the Championship.

Of course there is an alternative theory - that either Rovers haven't got round to offering him a new deal yet or that whatever offer has been made is nowhere near what it should be for a player of his importance. Of course negotiations ought to have commenced the day after the Doncaster win to get him tied down to a long term Championship standard contract, same for Lenihan, but with Venkys at the helm I can't see it.

To some extent I can understand a reluctance on Rovers' part given Dack is completely untested at Championship level but that won't help if other clubs come knocking. Sooner or later you have to be bold and brave and give him the contract rather than allow risk or uncertainty to develop. Losing him would be a crushing blow in a number of ways.

He hasn't played in the championship yet but I don't see him as a risk. He'll obviously find it harder but his I believe his skills are translatable to this division.

Plenty of clubs will give him the chance if we don't ,I'm certain of that. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

But whilst I appreciate that professionalism, experience, all these buzzwords, are important traits. They are not enough to earn a contract alone. You need to be offering something on the pitch and me and many others seem to think that hes not offering enough any more. The argument of "he must be good for morale therefore no one can question the decision" is a faulty one.

Most managers would disagree with you. Plus, Mowbray and Conway himself both think he can do a job. I thought he look good pre and early season last year, before getting injured. I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

Anyway, far too much focus and negativity on this. Particularly as people have no idea how much the deal cost and due to the fact we haven't signed anyone else yet. Conway could be 3rd or 4th choice come the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I think Dack has been as clear as he could ever possibly be that he's happy here and looking forward to the Championship challenge. I've seen no indication from him that he has any intention of moving to another Championship club.

Given that he has spent his career to date in League One/Two, most of it at Gillingham, I doubt he's going to be demanding mega money or silly figures to stay. We would have given him an increase on Gillingham and another increase on that to reflect his importance to the club would be appropriate. He can hardly turn around and demand £30k a week given he's never kicked a ball in the Championship.

Of course there is an alternative theory - that either Rovers haven't got round to offering him a new deal yet or that whatever offer has been made is nowhere near what it should be for a player of his importance. Of course negotiations ought to have commenced the day after the Doncaster win to get him tied down to a long term Championship standard contract, same for Lenihan, but with Venkys at the helm I can't see it.

To some extent I can understand a reluctance on Rovers' part given Dack is completely untested at Championship level but that won't help if other clubs come knocking. Sooner or later you have to be bold and brave and give him the contract rather than allow risk or uncertainty to develop. Losing him would be a crushing blow in a number of ways.

I would have thought that in his 4 year contract wages would rise with promotions etc still has 3 years left, lets see how he performs in this league then offer him a longer deal in January .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sean Clare at Sheffield Wednesday, anyone know about this guy? Heard we are in talks 

Would be very happy with this from what I've seen of him, he's a great prospect and highly rated at Wednesday, but out of contract I believe - can't be true!

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Would be very happy with this from what I've seen of him, he's a great prospect and highly rated at Wednesday, but out of contract I believe - can't be true!

Indeed, seems to be very highly rated with a few prem clubs seemingly interested, would be a great signing and one to be excited about but doubt we could pull it off if there is concrete premier league interest. We do need to get a move on with signings, hoping for a couple next week.

• Like 1

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

To be fair Mowbray will know more than you what constitutes reasons for giving a player a contract. He's already explained why he's given the contract and it had nothing to do with buzzwords. It was to do with an experienced player who will play an important role away from home,  in a much tougher league than last season, when our backs are against the wall. Conway was never really fit last season either so hopefully he will be in better shape with a good pre-srason behind him. 

Mowbray's  not infallible otherwise he wouldn't have signed Caddis, Gladwin, Hart, Harper Etc.

Where have these defensive capabilities of Conway's come from? In his better years I never had him down as a winger who particularly relished in the defensive side of his game. He has a high work rate but he's hardly a player renowned for his tenacity in the tackle. It's almost as if a benefit of him being here has snowballed into this idea that Conway is suddenly a player we can rely on against the big teams to defend from the front. I don't think that's the case at all.

Bennett alluded to his influence in the dressing room. I'd argue that's a bigger trait than any of his supposed defensive qualities.

In regards to Gladwin - he doesn't have a position davulsukur. He's just a poor player with a bad attitude. Definitely a "wrong one".

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

It's a bit naive to think he won't be demanding silly money, as you put it. He'll demand what he thinks his agent  can get him. If his agent can get him double at WBA than he can get here his agent will perhaps advise him to agitate for a move. We all know there's no loyalty, no matter how much fist pumping, badge kissing etc goes on. 

I agree though he seems happy here and as he is obviously flourishing under Mowbray he'd be a fool to leave.

Or again alternatively lets take the focus away from the player and turn it towards our owners - if they think they can get a few million for a player that cost them £700k this time last year will that tempt them? It has done in the past...

25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I know he's not very good but what is this guys supposed playing position?

The only time I've seen him play in the flesh was in the egg cup game at Rochdale. To be honest he looked to be one of our better players that night but that's not saying a great deal. Nobody really looked the part, especially after we went down to 10 men. I thought he had a good touch for a big guy and a good change of pace that enabled him to get past people. He was two footed and could go either way. He played out wide at first but when we went down to 10 he came more inside. I'd say his best position is similar to the role Dack plays.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Most managers would disagree with you. Plus, Mowbray and Conway himself both think he can do a job. I thought he look good pre and early season last year, before getting injured. I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

Anyway, far too much focus and negativity on this. Particularly as people have no idea how much the deal cost and due to the fact we haven't signed anyone else yet. Conway could be 3rd or 4th choice come the start of the season. 

I hate when people say too much negativity. People can give views contrary to what has happened, and ones that go against what Mowbray has done.

Just like I was delighted about Graham, and said why, I feel that I am entitled to say why I dont feel Conway offers anything ON the pitch.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

I think people need to accept that it's okay to disagree with decisions Mowbray has made without:

1) Being negative

2) Calling for his head

Literally every manager of any football club on the planet will have his decisions questioned from time to time. 

• Like 3