BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Where have these defensive capabilities of Conway's come from? In his better years I never had him down as a winger who particularly relished in the defensive side of his game. He has a high work rate but he's hardly a player renowned for his tenacity in the tackle. It's almost as if a benefit of him being here has snowballed into this idea that Conway is suddenly a player we can rely on against the big teams to defend from the front. I don't think that's the case at all.

Bennett alluded to his influence in the dressing room. I'd argue that's a bigger trait than any of his supposed defensive qualities.

I imagine this idea comes more from his workrate and positional understanding than from any crunching tackles. His workrate isn't quite as beneficial as it used to be since his legs are going though. Personally I'm fine with having him as a squad fringe player as long as his new deal is hugely reduced. He isn't the fantastic player he was though, and I didn't expect us to offer him another contract. But if it's a far cheaper one year deal, and he isn't seen as anything more than backup, I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sean Clare at Sheffield Wednesday, anyone know about this guy? Heard we are in talks 

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-everton-leeds-wolves-move-in-as-villa-pull-back-on-midfield-signing

we offer him 1st team football where teams like Celtic, Villa, Boro and Wolves wouldn't. 

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Late goals? I doubt he’d be on the park after 60/70 minutes.

Besides, if you read the initial post in full you’d see that I reckon he’d be on the fringes for most games anyway.

That's what I see has his role in some games starting to keep it solid defensively and positional 

mostly will be used as a sub in most games

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I hate when people say too much negativity. People can give views contrary to what has happened, and ones that go against what Mowbray has done.

Just like I was delighted about Graham, and said why, I feel that I am entitled to say why I dont feel Conway offers anything ON the pitch.

there is far too negativity on here at times about lack of signings or FFP laws. 

on Conway offers anything on the pitch? didn't he scored 2 goals and 3 assists last season, so you comment isn't true. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-everton-leeds-wolves-move-in-as-villa-pull-back-on-midfield-signing

we offer him 1st team football where teams like Celtic, Villa, Boro and Wolves wouldn't. 

That's what I see has his role in some games starting to keep it solid defensively and positional 

there is far too negativity on here at times about lack of signings or FFP laws. 

on Conway offers anything on the pitch? didn't he scored 2 goals and 3 assists last season, so you comment isn't true. 

Chaddy, not everything is positive. Never mentioned either of those things. Im on about solely Conways contract and "stop being negative" doesnt in anyway support the decision made by Mowbray. Just as I was delighted that Graham is staying, as he offers plenty on the pitch as well seemingly as off it.

Thats nowhere near enough to be considered an attacking threat. 2 goals when already winning games so his goals got us 0 points. His assist v Southend was good but overall. Nowhere near enough. His legs have gone.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's a lot of interest in Clare. We would be doing well to win that battle 

6 hours ago, Biz said:

Another one who watches a lot of football but never learns anything.

Example; 41 minutes into WBA vs Rovers at the Hawthorns, after a succession of corners, an unmarked player taps in after a scramble. 

Is it because;

A. The less experienced/organised younger winger left his man

B. Craig Conway was on the pitch to help keep it tight and defend the flanks for 60/70 minutes...

C. Jason Lowe.

:lol: We can’t all be as well schooled in the game as you, Joe.

Lucky for us that Conway has the gift of eternal youth and his legs go forever. How long a deal should we have given him? In your expert opinion of course. 2 years? 5?

A. You think only experienced players can defend/mark at corners?

B. Conway isn’t catching his man. Certainly not an ex-PL winger.

C. Don’t try to be clever. You can’t carry it off.

Nice that you use an example of one set play as a reason to have Conway instead of someone like Chapman. No, not nice, desperate.

70 minutes from Conway in the Championship will be a big ask. I actually hope you are right and he can be a big player for us this season. But he didn’t really manage to be such an influence. last season, a year younger and a division lower.

Be honest, he is here for his experience in the dressing room not 70 minute matches and (:rolleyes:) helping to avoid younger players not defend corners.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

There's a lot of excuses emanating from Ewood. 

Wouldn't say excuses as such, more an attempt to put positive spin on the fact nothing has yet happened either in terms of incomings or tying down the people on new deals we want to tie down.

I'd have thought Raya is another along with Lenihan and Dack  who needs an improved deal to ward off interest from elsewhere.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Yes, that's probably a fairer interpretation if the summer so far. Maybe I should have said mixed messages have been coming from Ewood. Mowbray has gone from saying he wanted all the permanent deals in by next Sunday to now saying he expects 1 or 2 in by then. Waggot and a Mowbray vame back from India all guns blazing about the budget, which within a week changed to we were looking at free transfers. Its all very confusing. 

Thought Mowbray was away on holiday for this to come out now.

Yes, that's probably a fairer interpretation if the summer so far. Maybe I should have said mixed messages have been coming from Ewood. Mowbray has gone from saying he wanted all the permanent deals in by next Sunday to now saying he expects 1 or 2 in by then. Waggot and a Mowbray vame back from India all guns blazing about the budget, which within a week changed to we were looking at free transfers. Its all very confusing. 

And yet you were very confident that our first signing would be this afternoon if I remember correctly.

Is this your excuse Ladyboys?

Sorry, you've lost me? 

The Mowbray quote on demands of new signings (2 hours ago) thought he, Tony Mowbray was away on holiday.

Is there someone else putting this communication out under Mowbray ?

Edited by JAL

Just now, JAL said:

The Mowbray quote on demands of new signings (2 hours ago) thought he, Tony Mowbray was away on holiday.

Is there someone else putting this communication out under Mowbray ?

Its probably an extract from an interview he gave weeks ago. Rovers and the Telegraph have been drip-feeding us dollops of the same interview for weeks.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's a lot of interest in Clare. We would be doing well to win that battle 

Yes we would. but we could give him a proper chance at 1st team football. were other clubs cant. 

13 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Yes that what Mowbray did want but things haven't happen. 

I suggest you watch that Video documentary on the last couple of days of Sheffield United and Wilder.  its chaos during a transfer window

8 minutes ago, JAL said:

Thought Mowbray was away on holiday for this to come out now.

Mowbray has been at Brockhall and Ewood Park this week. talking to players, agents and clubs about players

came back from holiday last Thursday

6 minutes ago, JAL said:

Is there any outside interest for Dominic Samuel. ?

why? 

• Backroom

Another point - Chaddy, try to remember that every single post in this thread isn’t aimed at you directly so you don’t need to personally reply to each.

No issue with discussion but it feels like you need to validate or dispute every opinion 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I suggest you watch that Video documentary on the last couple of days of Sheffield United and Wilder.  its chaos during a transfer window

I did watch it. He signed that guy from Scotland we were after. However, It isn't the last couple of days of the window so  its not really relevant. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

why? 

Why if Samuel can't score goals at League one level or even create them then what chance has he of scoring and creating goals at a higher level.

Samuel out and a decent striker in please, otherwise we'll be playing for nil nil every game. Though he showed against Oxford at League one level that he's not too arsed to track back as we saw with Oxford's goal at the end of last season.

Unless Samuel can be a very good goalkeeper I don't see the point of having him here.

Edited by JAL

4 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

I did watch it. He signed that guy from Scotland we were after. However, It isn't the last couple of days of the window so  its not really relevant. 

of course it relevant as it shows what a transfer window is like.

Mowbray told you what it was like a week after we got promotion. agents ringing up suggesting or offering him players to him 

Just now, JAL said:

Why if Samuel can't score goals at League one level or even create them then what chance has he of scoring and creating goals at a higher level.

Samuel out and a decent striker in please, otherwise we'll be playing for nil nil every game. Though he showed against Oxford at League one level that he's not too arsed to track back as we saw with Oxford's goal at the end of last season.

Unless Samuel can be a very good goalkeeper I don't see the point of having him here.

but Samuel did score goals at league 1 level tho Jal, stop talking rubbish pal. 

I see him as player with plenty of pace and ability to score goals but there is a player in there. also like the fact he been training and working hard during the summer

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Another point - Chaddy, try to remember that every single post in this thread isn’t aimed at you directly so you don’t need to personally reply to each.

No issue with discussion but it feels like you need to validate or dispute every opinion 

but I don't reply to every post Tom tho. I just ignored most of the FFP discussion as I didn't see as relevant.

also I haven't been on the site much today.

I thought this was a messageboard for discussion on Rovers and football issues.  

but I will take your points you have made on board for future posts

Edited by chaddyrovers