BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

I would agree with TM that we don't need major surgery this summer. When looking at our squad there are a number of players who I think could do a job for us in the Championship such as Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Bell, Bennett, Smallwood (if he can make the step up), Dack and Graham. Along with that we have some decent squad players in Leuwitter, Downing, Evans, Bell (who could become first choice this season), Samuel, and Travis.  So no major overhaul in the squad is really required, I think defensively we are alright, we've got enough cover in the full back areas with Nymabe, Bennett, Travis, Bell and Williams all able to play there and then at CB we've got Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing and Williams who can play there. In centre Mid we've got Evans, Smallwood, Travis Bennett who can all play there, although I do think we need abit more quality in there so I would like to see a Centre Mid come in. The priority of the window for me has got to be wide players, we've only got Conway ATM who is probably (hopefully) only going to be a squad player next season, so we need at least 2 wide players with pace to come in, preferably Chapman and one other. We need someone as back up to Dack in that number 10 role such as a Payne ora Holmes and then I'd say we just need another striker to add to Samuel and Graham, I'd personally try and get Arma back, he's quick and seems a natural finisher, at a good age and already knows the manager and the squad. So that's about 5 perm signings with only 3 new players from last season (if we get Chapman and Arma) and aslong as those 3 new players are good quality then I think most of us most on here would be happy with that. We could also use the loan market to bring in one or two signings along with the promotion of a couple youth team players to buff up the squad abit  and then I think we would be looking in decent shape. So while we don't need major surgery we do need some quality to be brought in, only time will tell if TM has been backed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That didn’t take long.

People have been lulled into a false sense of ability. This is a very good league one squad. We need better.

Amazing isn't it. Just like Pavlov's dogs. I wonder if they'll be back on when we're struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I know the majority of this squad was relegated last time but lets not get too doom and gloom yet.

Granted League One was poor but the Championship isn't great either. Two things we need to remember is that the points collected with Mowbray in the relegation season pro rota for the full season we'd have finished seventh. The 2nd is that momentum is positive this time around rather than the negative ones from recent times.

I'm not Mowbray's greatest fan but I accept that major surgery is not required to be a decent Championship side. The key is to keep the momentum going like Sheff Utd did last season and Bolton didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I know the majority of this squad was relegated last time but lets not get too doom and gloom yet.

Granted League One was poor but the Championship isn't great either. Two things we need to remember is that the points collected with Mowbray in the relegation season pro rota for the full season we'd have finished seventh. The 2nd is that momentum is positive this time around rather than the negative ones from recent times.

I'm not Mowbray's greatest fan but I accept that major surgery is not required to be a decent Championship side. The key is to keep the momentum going like Sheff Utd did last season and Bolton didn't.

Top half of the championship is a very tough league one of the toughest around it's becoming Premier league 2 as time goes on.  Agree the bottom end isn't that great and that's what we have  to better to finish far enough up however a lot of beatings from the top half teams depending how the fixtures pan out can have you in bother from the off and it's hard to recover and that's something that needs guarding against.

We've a decent little squad it just needs help in terms of a couple of quality additions and some raw pace. No squad fillers, use our own youth and put all the eggs into getting a few who can contribute to the first 11 basket.

• Like 5

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

See my response to Stuart a few posts up.

Edit - and see the post above this

Nobody was more pleased than me to see us get out that Division but let's not kid ourselves . The standard was very poor, we came second and you could count the games were we played really well for more than half of the game on the fingers of one hand. Those are the facts that matter to me. Play like that again next season and we'll struggle. It's essential we strengthen the team with a few players that will actually improve us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

This is a better squad than the one that Mowbray got a decent points return in the Championship  with when he took over from Coyle. 

In your opinion of course, there’s no proof of that.

Also, I assume you’ve taken Antonsson, Chapman, Payne and Armstrong out of the equation when making your comparison? On that basis our current squad is already worse than last season. The only strengthening we’ve done so far is not signing Jason Lowe.

• Like 2

• Backroom

He wants a 30 year old, Chaddy wouldn’t sign anyone over 29 so that will be an interesting reaction when it happens.

Big week ahead, Mowbray said he wanted the majority in before the pre season trip so it will be a sign things aren’t working as planned if we don’t sign 3-4 this week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

He wants a 30 year old, Chaddy wouldn’t sign anyone over 29 so that will be an interesting reaction when it happens.

Big week ahead, Mowbray said he wanted the majority in before the pre season trip so it will be a sign things aren’t working as planned if we don’t sign 3-4 this week.

His reaction will be that of someone who really wanted an older player.

I think those who believe the squad to be good enough are in for a shock if we don't suitably strengthen. Big difference between League 1 and the Championship.

Edited by booth
  • Like 3

I'd be more than happy with half a dozen decent quality signings. I'd definitely like Chapman back on loan. Armstrong was ok but there might be a better option out there. A big midfield battler, young creative midfielder and a quick and direct unit up front and an experienced defender.

I think people are potentially jumping the gun a little with Mowbray's comments today.

Who walks into a car show-room wanting to get a good deal and shouts "right chaps, I need a car, I shall be buying it from here and I have money to spend."

We already know that Mowbray has been rebuffed in a couple of attempts to sign players with unrealistic price-tags. So what he is doing is making the football market know (agents) that he isn't willing to spend over his means, and if we have to wait a little to bring in the right players at a more doable price then so be it.

I have absolutely no problem with his approach and as long as we bring in 4 long-term signings and a couple or maybe more loans, then that is pretty much what we were expecting anyway wasn't it?

At a push (would be a struggle), we only need to add to our flanks and frontline, although of course we would hope for more.

Let's not try to douse the confidence going into the new season, because we all know that kind of attitude spreads like wildfire and bleeds into the players.

In Mowbray I trust and I really doubt he'd have hung around if the owners had taken the p*ss when he flew out to India.

• Like 3

6 good quality signings then great.  Not convinced Mowbray has worked out who he actually wants to sign though.

I imagine, as we are no longer the big fish in a little pond, he is finding it a lot harder to attract better players -without paying more than he wants to.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

4 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

I think people are potentially jumping the gun a little with Mowbray's comments today.

Who walks into a car show-room wanting to get a good deal and shouts "right chaps, I need a car, I shall be buying it from here and I have money to spend."

We already know that Mowbray has been rebuffed in a couple of attempts to sign players with unrealistic price-tags. So what he is doing is making the football market know (agents) that he isn't willing to spend over his means, and if we have to wait a little to bring in the right players at a more doable price then so be it.

I have absolutely no problem with his approach and as long as we bring in 4 long-term signings and a couple or maybe more loans, then that is pretty much what we were expecting anyway wasn't it?

At a push (would be a struggle), we only need to add to our flanks and frontline, although of course we would hope for more.

Let's not try to douse the confidence going into the new season, because we all know that kind of attitude spreads like wildfire and bleeds into the players.

In Mowbray I trust and I really doubt he'd have hung around if the owners had taken the p*ss when he flew out to India.

Maybe the penny hasn't dropped yet that they're taking the p*ss.

Something about the whole summer to date just doesn't feel right at the moment. Although nothing was confirmed about how much money was available the impression I got (from Mowbrays and Waggotts comments) was that there was money to spend but recent interviews have cast some doubt on this. Any out of contract players will be free to sign for another club from July 1st and Mowbray talking about young PL players on loan gives me the impression those two markets are where we will be. My opinion is also based on the owners previous history of back tracking on promises. And I believe if we don't bring in several players of quality we will be on the cusp of relegation from day one.

I have no doubt the new BRFCS buzzword (negative) will be used to describe my comments but the lack of movement is quite alarming.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Something about the whole summer to date just doesn't feel right at the moment. Although nothing was confirmed about how much money was available the impression I got (from Mowbrays and Waggotts comments) was that there was money to spend but recent interviews have cast some doubt on this. Any out of contract players will be free to sign for another club from July 1st and Mowbray talking about young PL players on loan gives me the impression those two markets are where we will be. My opinion is also based on the owners previous history of back tracking on promises. And I believe if we don't bring in several players of quality we will be on the cusp of relegation from day one.

I have no doubt the new BRFCS buzzword (negative) will be used to describe my comments but the lack of movement is quite alarming.

Have many clubs got their signings in yet? 

• Like 1

• Backroom

By the end of June last year (in a year of rebuilding a squad) we signed a total of 4 players: Whitt, Smallwood, Dack, Gladwin.

Whitt and Smallwood were easy as unwanted/out-of-contract. Gladwin was (I suspect) intended as Dack's back-up.

So as we are now spending money (allegedly) I'd rather we took our time. I'd personally like to see at least 2 guys in by pre-season.

Let's also not forget that the lack noise before transfers tends to correlate with better transfers for us.

Though it is not the market we're shopping in perhaps the world cup has delayed things, as lower status premier league teams are scouting it, and therefore are holding off buying and selling until players show their abilities and are back in their clubs. So players who are being replaced won't be shipped out or loaned out until they know their squad.

Just now, gumboots said:

Have many clubs got their signings in yet? 

My point was around the recent interviews which seem to be aimed at lowering the expectation levels. The upbeat noises coming out of Ewood seem to have been tempered. I think there will be some signings, my doubt is whether these will be cash signings or freebies and loans.