BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

That Daniel Arzani would be a fantastic signing for us young international pace etc

Daniel is only 17. He's the youngest player at the world cup.

Fantastic skills, but still very raw.

I hope, where ever he goes, they don't coach him to play any different. He has a degree of unpredictability about him that could really make him a superstar.

• Like 1

This is why the freebie market at Championship level is getting more and more serious and driving wages up.  Lucrative to be in if your not fortunate enough to have Prem clients on your books.

Also a very tricky market for managers and clubs as just because they are free doesn't mean you always get value for money.

47 minutes ago, dave birch said:

Daniel is only 17. He's the youngest player at the world cup.

Isn't he 19?

58 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

That Daniel Arzani would be a fantastic signing for us young international pace etc

Indeed. Steven Bergwijn would also be a brilliant signing.

It is early days yet and players are still on holiday. I think the constant re-writing from the same interview with Mowbray is being interpreted differently. He speaks of 4-5 young quality players and a little experience of an older player.  This sounds exciting to me. I’d rather have quality than quantity any day of the week. The players being linked, if true, fit the type he is after. There will be many players linked as he has to have options because it is hard to get your first choice as other clubs will also be after them. I am frustrated but by the time the season starts I am sure that we will be happy. My gut feel is we do have money to spend on the right players. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being a pot as much as £5M. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s how I’m reading it.

Thing is, now that Mowbray has said it, you’ll get many fans now agreeing with him and trying to convince you that our L1 side (minus loanees remember) will be good enough.

We need a far better option than Downing. A better option than Evans. A better option than Samuel. And two wingers. Minimum.

I would agree with that summary with the addition of Armstrong returning and a replacement right back.

Edited by Al
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Though it is not the market we're shopping in perhaps the world cup has delayed things, as lower status premier league teams are scouting it, and therefore are holding off buying and selling until players show their abilities and are back in their clubs. So players who are being replaced won't be shipped out or loaned out until they know their squad.

Come on, be positive, the delay is because that is the market we are shopping in, Mrs D and the boys studying the WC games intently and making their shopping list to pass on to ToMo , Waggers and the man of many names to sort out

Edited by perthblue02

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

In your opinion of course, there’s no proof of that.

Also, I assume you’ve taken Antonsson, Chapman, Payne and Armstrong out of the equation when making your comparison? On that basis our current squad is already worse than last season. The only strengthening we’ve done so far is not signing Jason Lowe.

Our current squad is not any worse than the one that Mowbray got 22 points from 15 games from in the Championship, that was the point. Look at the team that won at Brentford last game of that season.

Raya - a full season behind him for the first time and probably better than a year ago.

Nyambe - a far better player than he was 12 months ago

Ward - a liability. Downing is far better.

Mulgrew - off the back of a great season he is fitter by his own admission than he was.

Lenihan - no worse than he was. 

Williams - another good season and now has genuine competition in the shape of Bell. 

Guthrie - we have better in Evans or Travis.

Lowe - we have better in Smallwood.

Gallagher - one that I'd like us to re-sign but is he any better than Dack?

Bennett - has come on leaps and bounds under Mowbray. 

Graham - on the back of a great season and fitter than he has been he is no worse than he was. 

We won that game 3-1.

Of course we need reinforcements and I expect Mowbray will get them but the nucleus of a decent Championship side is already there. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, scotchrover said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/every-championship-transfer-confirmed-done-1674585.amp

This is every transfer so far in the Championship -up to and including Thursday. It’s not just us that’s moving slow chaps! 

Umm, we don't seem to be on that list. Or Rotherham. I guess only Wigan got promoted, ah well! (Might be the list is only showing clubs who have at least had an outgoing, and that just being released doesn't count?)

I think we are going to regret letting Ohztuner sign for Bolton for free. Good deal for them. Would have been the best backup for Dack we could expect, and given the option of moving Dack back a little if we were short in centre mid at any point.

50 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Guthrie - we have better in Evans or Travis.

Gallagher - one that I'd like us to re-sign but is he any better than Dack?

Agree with pretty much your whole post although Guthrie had a pretty good final season with us 2016-17. What let him down was his injury record.
I think that Travis could evolve into a better player than Evans, but to be fair. I'm not entirely sold on Evans and wouldn't be devastated if we sold him if we brought in a replacement.

As for Gallagher, I can see the logic in having a tall forward. But his goals to games ratio has never been better than a goal every 4 games.

Hands up. I might be completely wrong. But that is just how I see it.

• Like 1

I dont personally think that the 22 points in 15 argument is a totally fair point in that I do feel that its impossible to extrapolate that over an entire season. Many of the teams we played in that last 15 games had nothing to play for, take the last 2 games v a Villa side on the beach with a Darwen End full of their fans cheering us on, and Brentford.

I dont actually think that weve actually added loads of new players capable of excelling at Championship level either. There's Dack whose obviously our star man. Smallwood I think can step up but some understandably have question marks. Bell and Downing have it all to prove but I think they can be squad players. Then theres Samuel, Gladwin and Hart who for me all are sub standard.

The biggest boost arguably, bar Mowbray and also the momentum of a promotion, is whose left since. Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie, Mahoney, Gallagher, Hoban, Hendrie, Emnes, Brown, Greer, Henley and since, Ward and Feeney, have all gone. None of them players are nearly good enough at Championship level. Players like that had a catastrophic impact on our relegation.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont personally think that the 22 points in 15 argument is a totally fair point in that I do feel that its impossible to extrapolate that over an entire season. Many of the teams we played in that last 15 games had nothing to play for, take the last 2 games v a Villa side on the beach with a Darwen End full of their fans cheering us on, and Brentford.

I dont actually think that weve actually added loads of new players capable of excelling at Championship level either. There's Dack whose obviously our star man. Smallwood I think can step up but some understandably have question marks. Bell and Downing have it all to prove but I think they can be squad players. Then theres Samuel, Gladwin and Hart who for me all are sub standard.

The biggest boost arguably, bar Mowbray and also the momentum of a promotion, is whose left since. Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie, Mahoney, Gallagher, Hoban, Hendrie, Emnes, Brown, Greer, Henley and since, Ward and Feeney, have all gone. None of them players are nearly good enough at Championship level. Players like that had a catastrophic impact on our relegation.

Of course it is hard to extrapolate over a full season but it is the only data we've got. It could be said that Mowbray would have done even better if he had a full pre-season and a much fitter squad than the fat unmotivated shambles that Coyle put on the pitch each week. The doom mongering about league 1 squads and relegation battles has far less basis in reality than acknowledging that a lot of our current squad already have and will again be competitive in the Championship. A few quality additions and we may surprise a few next season. Millwall went up with 20+ points less than us and hardly spent big money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You missed out calamity Steele

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Hoban looked a decent player until he got injured and Emnes was handy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good post. 

I think Samuel can do a job for us. Not a massive concern for me that one yet. I’ve seen zero from Hart though unfortunately in the 2 or 3 games I’ve seen him play.

Great point you make about the turnover / clearout of players by the way. Never easy. Couple that with promotion, record points haul, most away wins ever in a season. If it wasn’t for the fact that the transfer window slams shut at midnight tonight I’d be relatively optimistic.

Briefly, obviously. Until the next post.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tom said:

He wants a 30 year old, Chaddy wouldn’t sign anyone over 29 so that will be an interesting reaction when it happens.

Big week ahead, Mowbray said he wanted the majority in before the pre season trip so it will be a sign things aren’t working as planned if we don’t sign 3-4 this week.

When's was it that we were told the the club had compiled 2 lists of targets?   April?  One list was for if we were still in League 1 this coming season, the other for if we were promoted.

TM said at the time the he wanted to get the transfer business over early!

We all applauded----I assume!    I know I did!

Al this is now forgotten apparently and complacency has returned. We'll be alright on the night.

Looks very much to me that Venkys have put their pen away. In which case we are in serious trouble.

And so what? I didn't make up the 2 lists nor TM wanting to get his transfer business done early.

For once, wouldn't it be good to get off to a flyer?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Hoban was  a very good player in his short time with us. Emnes and Gallagher had their moments too.  

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, tomphil said:

Top half of the championship is a very tough league one of the toughest around it's becoming Premier league 2 as time goes on.  Agree the bottom end isn't that great and that's what we have  to better to finish far enough up however a lot of beatings from the top half teams depending how the fixtures pan out can have you in bother from the off and it's hard to recover and that's something that needs guarding against.

We've a decent little squad it just needs help in terms of a couple of quality additions and some raw pace. No squad fillers, use our own youth and put all the eggs into getting a few who can contribute to the first 11 basket.

I don't see too much of a difference between top and bottom of the championship. I also don't too much of a gap between the bottom of the premiership and the championship either.

There is too much emphasis put onto not losing games rather than winning by teams for too long. 

I agree the one weakness the team lacks is pace but also think we need a signing in midfield and an attacker as well. The midfielder should be someone who has experience of this league but still has legs. Whittingham looked a good signing last season but his legs had gone. We have to be careful not to repeat this. Evans should have the experience by now but struggles to control games although I will say he has had poor players around him at times.

Forwards will be diffifcult to find in Rovers price range and this was Bolton's problem last year and looks like it will this year as well. This is why they were looking at Graham. Preston though have shown it is possible and the fact that Rovers were competing with North End for Boden last season suggests we are looking in similar places. We have the experienced striker in Graham so again should avoid signing another over 30 player to play there.

The problem with players with pace is that they rarely have an end product and are expensive. We saw several examples of players last season in League One who maybe able to step up and have been discussed here already but it will be a gamble.

The key to Rovers being a success next season, is keeping the momentum going but I can decide if its the worrying thing is that we never dominated sides last season or that it's a good thing we won because of the collective team spirit that usually won the day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

When's was it that we were told the the club had compiled 2 lists of targets?   April?  One list was for if we were still in League 1 this coming season, the other for if we were promoted.

TM said at the time the he wanted to get the transfer business over early!

We all applauded----I assume!    I know I did!

Al this is now forgotten apparently and complacency has returned. We'll be alright on the night.

Looks very much to me that Venkys have put their pen away. In which case we are in serious trouble.

Oh my.....at what point did 17th June become late in the transfer Market? Any transfers done before July are early, surely?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I don't see too much of a difference between top and bottom of the championship. I also don't too much of a gap between the bottom of the premiership and the championship either.

There is too much emphasis put onto not losing games rather than winning by teams for too long. 

I agree the one weakness the team lacks is pace but also think we need a signing in midfield and an attacker as well. The midfielder should be someone who has experience of this league but still has legs. Whittingham looked a good signing last season but his legs had gone. We have to be careful not to repeat this. Evans should have the experience by now but struggles to control games although I will say he has had poor players around him at times.

Forwards will be diffifcult to find in Rovers price range and this was Bolton's problem last year and looks like it will this year as well. This is why they were looking at Graham. Preston though have shown it is possible and the fact that Rovers were competing with North End for Boden last season suggests we are looking in similar places. We have the experienced striker in Graham so again should avoid signing another over 30 player to play there.

The problem with players with pace is that they rarely have an end product and are expensive. We saw several examples of players last season in League One who maybe able to step up and have been discussed here already but it will be a gamble.

The key to Rovers being a success next season, is keeping the momentum going but I can decide if its the worrying thing is that we never dominated sides last season or that it's a good thing we won because of the collective team spirit that usually won the day.

We did however blitz teams in twenty minute spells which put the games out of their reach. I would agree we never totally dominated for ninety minutes.

• Like 1