BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I don't see too much of a difference between top and bottom of the championship. I also don't too much of a gap between the bottom of the premiership and the championship either.

There is too much emphasis put onto not losing games rather than winning by teams for too long. 

I agree the one weakness the team lacks is pace but also think we need a signing in midfield and an attacker as well. The midfielder should be someone who has experience of this league but still has legs. Whittingham looked a good signing last season but his legs had gone. We have to be careful not to repeat this. Evans should have the experience by now but struggles to control games although I will say he has had poor players around him at times.

Forwards will be diffifcult to find in Rovers price range and this was Bolton's problem last year and looks like it will this year as well. This is why they were looking at Graham. Preston though have shown it is possible and the fact that Rovers were competing with North End for Boden last season suggests we are looking in similar places. We have the experienced striker in Graham so again should avoid signing another over 30 player to play there.

The problem with players with pace is that they rarely have an end product and are expensive. We saw several examples of players last season in League One who maybe able to step up and have been discussed here already but it will be a gamble.

The key to Rovers being a success next season, is keeping the momentum going but I can decide if its the worrying thing is that we never dominated sides last season or that it's a good thing we won because of the collective team spirit that usually won the day.

It’s funny how people see things so differently. Imo we dominated most teams last season. The possession stats, goals scored, goals conceded etc all confirm this home and away.

My worry is that having dominated so many matches and been used to being on top, can we be solid and play on the break?

Great points about the difficulty in finding good forwards. They will be the difference undoubtedly. 

Enjoyed reading your post pal. Thanks ??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Oh my.....at what point did 17th June become late in the transfer Market? Any transfers done before July are early, surely?

I agree. 47er that’s a poor post. Not one team has had a flyer. It’s very early days.

The world cup will be a reason why this transfer window is moving slowly.

Other clubs are not doing much business which then does not make any other players in the teams surplus to requirements. Its a domino affect with the PL clubs in particular looking for gems from the tournament etc - plus players are playing for their countries.

I would imagine its only out of contract players in the main that are being snapped up. One thing is for sure is that it will be a very frantic end to the window this year.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

The world cup will be a reason why this transfer window is moving slowly.

Other clubs are not doing much business which then does not make any other players in the teams surplus to requirements. Its a domino affect with the PL clubs in particular looking for gems from the tournament etc - plus players are playing for their countries.

I would imagine its only out of contract players in the main that are being snapped up. One thing is for sure is that it will be a very frantic end to the window this year.

Agreed.And also teams will have pre season fixtures to fullfill while the international's will still be away and on holiday.So they will even be reluctant to let out young players for loans etc at this stage. Be nice to get one in at least before they go away next Sunday though 

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Of all the positions at the club I would have thought Central Defence was the least of our worries? 

We need another centre half, Downing did well last season but there has to be question marks wether he can step up,Lenihan is good but he does get injured a lot.Don't know much about this guy to be fair buy he is 6'3 and hopefully good in the air, maybe a bargain 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

And so what? I didn't make up the 2 lists nor TM wanting to get his transfer business done early.

For once, wouldn't it be good to get off to a flyer?

Funny that people who hold the club to their word are the ones mocked.

If we can’t (or don’t know if we can) “do our business early” then we shouldn’t say it. Maybe it was for Venkys’ benefit or to pique interest ahead of the early bird deadline but having only ended up re-signing two old stalwarts we are going to have to make some very imaginative signings to tempt fans to pay the now higher price.

It’s another example though of saying one thing and doing... nothing.

Of course, there is plenty of time to get recruits in and the only one we “appear” to have missed out in is Oztumer - if he was ever a target - but a fresh face or two would help to reduce concerns about our squad depth. As it stands we look as though we are “on our way back” down rather than the implied up.

Team spirit, ‘avin’ a larf, is one thing but if I was a 24yo Dack, after two L1 player of the season awards in three years, I’d want to know that Rovers shared my ambition as much as the other clubs my agent keeps telling me do.

• Like 1

Of all the positions at the club I would have thought Central Defence was the least of our worries? 

If we play the system that Mowbray is alleged to favour, 3 centre halves, we'll need another one I think. Downing is a decent stand in and Williams can play there at a pinch, Wharton is coming through but another first choice centre half would be handy. Having a centre half who's dominant in the air would be a plus too.

Having said that not all tall guys are good headers of the ball.

Just now, islander200 said:

We need another centre half, Downing did well last season but there has to be question marks wether he can step up,Lenihan is good but he does get injured a lot.Don't know much about this guy to be fair buy he is 6'3 and hopefully good in the air, maybe a bargain 

Agreed, we said all last season we would love a big bruiser back there. Lenihan and Mulgrew have had injury concerns thought the latter got fortunate last season. Downing and another will be needed as back up.

If 500k is the fee being mooted and he is prepared to pay that for a backup CB, it might suggest we have mney for the more important areas too.

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

We did however blitz teams in twenty minute spells which put the games out of their reach. I would agree we never totally dominated for ninety minutes.

I agree but for every team we dominated for 20 minutes, we also had spells where we were dominated for 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we play the system that Mowbray is alleged to favour, 3 centre halves, we'll need another one I think. Downing is a decent stand in and Williams can play there at a pinch, Wharton is coming through but another first choice centre half would be handy. Having a centre half who's dominant in the air would be a plus too.

Having said that not all tall guys are good headers of the ball.

I'd forgot about the tinkering in which case we would need another. Williams though is a natural in a back 3 and was where he played for Bristol City. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s funny how people see things so differently. Imo we dominated most teams last season. The possession stats, goals scored, goals conceded etc all confirm this home and away.

My worry is that having dominated so many matches and been used to being on top, can we be solid and play on the break?

Great points about the difficulty in finding good forwards. They will be the difference undoubtedly. 

Enjoyed reading your post pal. Thanks ??

Possession is a funny stat in the fact we could keep the ball for 89mins and 50 secs, not hurt the opposotion then make a mistake in the remaining 10 secs and lose 1-0. Passing the ball around is fine but you need to stretch the opposition and this is where pace can come in handy.

As Rogerb said we dominated in spells in games. It is just that in the same game for short periods the opposition had spells where we looked all over the place and this is where we need an experienced person in the middle to pull the strings.

I think so far we are in a good place. I understand Conway contract and I don't think people should be up in arms about it. We talk regularly in football that you need characters, locker room leaders, etc...I see Conway professionliasm and behind the scenes contribution even more important than his influence on the pitch. So I am glad he gets to stay.

with regard to signing if we look at the championship so far, very few clubs have been super active. So this god right of deserving to sign a player by now is nonsense. Wait for the right opportunity and take it from there. I would actually consider Tommie Hoban back as Mowbray has shown he can manage injury prone players like Mulgrew. He would be a good signing and not super pricey. I do like Chapman so I would be delighted To get Chapman back on loan. Overall I do think we need 

1CB, 1 Creative Midfielder, 1Winger, 1 Defensive Mid, and a Striker 

I'd forgot about the tinkering in which case we would need another. Williams though is a natural in a back 3 and was where he played for Bristol City. 

Problem is Williams isn't a natural footballer. Granted he looked better as a central defender.

The levels of impatience and panic on here are bordering on insane.  Yes we need to improve and add depth but it's mid-June.  The players who want to join Rovers will, do.  They'll sulk back to their current clubs at the start of pre-season and be ushered out sharpish.  We'll also add quality loan players late in August when they realise they won't be featuring regularly at their current team.  It's not rocket science is it?

Personally, I think some people just can't wait to pick each signing to bits in the same way we were promoted on a Tuesday and come the weekend, dummies were being spat out of certain prams.  

Best advice is, chill out and recharge the batteries, leave Chaddy alone, enjoy the World Cup, we will improve the squad and I'm sure we'll be competitive next season. For a start, we don't have Owen Coyle - so that's a major positive.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The levels of impatience and panic on here are bordering on insane.  Yes we need to improve and add depth but it's mid-June.  The players who want to join Rovers will, do.  They'll sulk back to their current clubs at the start of pre-season and be ushered out sharpish.  We'll also add quality loan players late in August when they realise they won't be featuring regularly at their current team.  It's not rocket science is it?

Personally, I think some people just can't wait to pick each signing to bits in the same way we were promoted on a Tuesday and come the weekend, dummies were being spat out of certain prams.  

Best advice is, chill out and recharge the batteries, leave Chaddy alone, enjoy the World Cup, we will improve the squad and I'm sure we'll be competitive next season. For a start, we don't have Owen Coyle - so that's a major positive.

At last, some sense. Great post sir.

2 hours ago, Tormund said:

I agree. 47er that’s a poor post. Not one team has had a flyer. It’s very early days.

Dear oh dear! Getting off to a flyer IN THE NEW SEASON! (on account of having all our ducks in a row as opposed to waiting for closing time on the last day of the transfer window.)

When did we last do that? 

Just now, 47er said:

Dear oh dear! Getting off to a flyer IN THE NEW SEASON! (on account of having all our ducks in a row as opposed to waiting for closing time on the last day of the transfer window.)

When did we last do that? 

How do you know we are waiting for the last day of the window?