BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

The levels of impatience and panic on here are bordering on insane.  Yes we need to improve and add depth but it's mid-June.  The players who want to join Rovers will, do.  They'll sulk back to their current clubs at the start of pre-season and be ushered out sharpish.  We'll also add quality loan players late in August when they realise they won't be featuring regularly at their current team.  It's not rocket science is it?

Personally, I think some people just can't wait to pick each signing to bits in the same way we were promoted on a Tuesday and come the weekend, dummies were being spat out of certain prams.  

Best advice is, chill out and recharge the batteries, leave Chaddy alone, enjoy the World Cup, we will improve the squad and I'm sure we'll be competitive next season. For a start, we don't have Owen Coyle - so that's a major positive.

Agree to a point to but we can't pick signings apart if there haven't been any. Also it was Mowbray who raised expectations by saying he wanted all his perm signings to be in place by next Sunday. You can't blame people for having concerns. 

Edited by Ladyboys of Bank Top
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tormund said:

How do you know we are waiting for the last day of the window?

"as opposed to" ie that's what we usually do. I have no idea whether that will be the case this time round or not.

But, if it is, it represents a step backwards given that 2 lists were drawn up weeks ago and TM has said he wants the transfer business done early.

Can't quite follow why I'm being criticised for supporting the management's aims and intentions. I agree with him---don't you?

Links with Baeur are probably shite considering their source.

Wouldn't be unhappy with the player himself, but slightly confused at spending a decent sum on a centre back. Hope to god its not with a view to playing 3 at the back, and that hed just be here to push Mulgrew and Lenihan, who for the time being deserve their shirts.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Dear oh dear! Getting off to a flyer IN THE NEW SEASON! (on account of having all our ducks in a row as opposed to waiting for closing time on the last day of the transfer window.)

When did we last do that? 

Pretty certain Shrews had a flyer - winning their first 7 games.  Set them up well for the season.  Hit the ground running is where we want to be - not scrabbling round like previous seasons.  

1 hour ago, 47er said:

"as opposed to" ie that's what we usually do. I have no idea whether that will be the case this time round or not.

But, if it is, it represents a step backwards given that 2 lists were drawn up weeks ago and TM has said he wants the transfer business done early.

Can't quite follow why I'm being criticised for supporting the management's aims and intentions. I agree with him---don't you?

"If you can't bring good news, then don't bring any.."?

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Straw Man Alert.

That is such an overused cliche these days. 

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Agree to a point to but we can't pick signings apart if there haven't been any. Also it was Mowbray who raised expectations by saying he wanted all his perm signings to be in place by next Sunday. You can't blame people for having concerns. 

I've been on here long enough to see how things work and will unfold.  There's  way too much demand for titbits of information and generally not enough patience in the world - I suppose that kind of supporter has always existed (I remember the premium rate numbers on Clubcall/Teletext).  

Of course in an ideal world Mowbray would tie up everyone he wants asap but that so rarely happens.  I've no doubt Mowbray has identified who he wants. Some he'll get, some he won't and unfortunately, those who we won't will become a stick to beat the club with as the season progresses but that's the way it goes. There just seems this ridiculous demand for quickfire signings which goes back weeks now and I also read people fretting about Dack' s new contract - why?? 

I just hoped that the positivity of promotion would last a while longer as I personally think we are heading in the right direction at long last but I accept that it may be a long journey back to the top table.  As long as there is an honourable man in charge, I'll be relaxed.  There are more than three worse teams than Rovers and I don't expect too much drama.

27 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I've been on here long enough to see how things work and will unfold.  There's  way too much demand for titbits of information and generally not enough patience in the world - I suppose that kind of supporter has always existed (I remember the premium rate numbers on Clubcall/Teletext).  

Of course in an ideal world Mowbray would tie up everyone he wants asap but that so rarely happens.  I've no doubt Mowbray has identified who he wants. Some he'll get, some he won't and unfortunately, those who we won't will become a stick to beat the club with as the season progresses but that's the way it goes. There just seems this ridiculous demand for quickfire signings which goes back weeks now and I also read people fretting about Dack' s new contract - why?? 

I just hoped that the positivity of promotion would last a while longer as I personally think we are heading in the right direction at long last but I accept that it may be a long journey back to the top table.  As long as there is an honourable man in charge, I'll be relaxed.  There are more than three worse teams than Rovers and I don't expect too much drama.

I feel like that the implied hysteria and panic is massively exaggerated. I've not seen it, but I do feel that there are Rovers fans who are desperate to make others seem hysterical and unreasonable, and im not sure its entirely fair and accurate. This isnt specifically aimed at you by the way.

Ive only quoted you regarding the bolded point. I dont get such a statement. I judge managers solely on their results, not on what they say and not on their personality. The reason I am happy with Mowbray is results based, but if that was the case and the manager was a bell end, I wouldnt mind either way. 

I can say from a personal view, im not remotely panicked by the lack of transfers as of yet, all I can judge is what has been done ie Graham which im very happy with, and Conway which im not. Obviously il look in here to see if anything has been done but im not one to get hung up on rumours and im just happy to enjoy the World Cup.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel like that the implied hysteria and panic is massively exaggerated. I've not seen it, but I do feel that there are Rovers fans who are desperate to make others seem hysterical and unreasonable, and im not sure its entirely fair and accurate. This isnt specifically aimed at you by the way.

Ive only quoted you regarding the bolded point. I dont get such a statement. I judge managers solely on their results, not on what they say and not on their personality. The reason I am happy with Mowbray is results based, but if that was the case and the manager was a bell end, I wouldnt mind either way. 

I can say from a personal view, im not remotely panicked by the lack of transfers as of yet, all I can judge is what has been done ie Graham which im very happy with, and Conway which im not. Obviously il look in here to see if anything has been done but im not one to get hung up on rumours and im just happy to enjoy the World Cup.

I was just meaning that I too have been hysterical when Kean and Coyle have been in charge and I personally feel they are both self-serving aholes who never had our best interests at heart. Mowbray - although not perfect,  I respect greatly.

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nixon running with that Bauer from Charlton to us story in today's paper.Mentions a fee of 500k

Wouldn't be a terrible signing.
He would be a brilliant backup to Charlie Mulgrew and would also give us the option to push Mulgrew forward to centre midfield if score requires it. Let's remember Mulgrew does come with an injury record, and without a tall player to come in for him, it could leave us struggling should he pick up an injury next season (touch wood it doesn't happen!)

Bauer is just under 6ft 4 inches and has a pretty good goal-scoring record for a centre back.

His signing would allow us to use Travis more freely in CM and would also allow us to get Wharton out on loan hopefully to a top half League One team to develop him as a player.

Bauer is playing below his standard as a player. Granted this story could be nonsense.

Edited by RovingRover

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I was just meaning that I too have been hysterical when Kean and Coyle have been in charge and I personally feel they are both self-serving aholes who never had our best interests at heart. Mowbray - although not perfect,  I respect greatly.

I do understand to an extent, but if either of those managers had been successful, their character defects wouldnt have been pointed out.

I can't se them signing him as back up with that kind of fee involved. He may well be to replace Lenihen IF big bid comes in and if so he sounds decent enough. Starting the season with someone like him in the ranks alongside what we already have would be a nice bonus though.

17 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Wouldn't be a terrible signing.
He would be a brilliant backup to Charlie Mulgrew and would also give us the option to push Mulgrew forward to centre midfield if score requires it. Let's remember Mulgrew does come with an injury record, and without a tall player to come in for him, it could leave us struggling should he pick up an injury next season (touch wood it doesn't happen!)

Bauer is just under 6ft 4 inches and has a pretty good goal-scoring record for a centre back.

His signing would allow us to use Travis more freely in CM and would also allow us to get Wharton out on loan hopefully to a top half League One team to develop him as a player.

Bauer is playing below his standard as a player. Granted this story could be nonsense.

Agree.

Plus, everytime Bauer makes a mistake or misses a sitter we can all shout "Dammit!" in the style of 24.

Devils advocate - Problem with Lenihans contract - meaning we need to offload him for £1-2m this summer and Bauer is his like for like starting replacement?

#1 priority for me remains Lenihans contract resolution.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Agree.

Plus, everytime Bauer makes a mistake or misses a sitter we can all shout "Dammit!" in the style of 24.

Devils advocate - Problem with Lenihans contract - meaning we need to offload him for £1-2m this summer and Bauer is his like for like starting replacement?

#1 priority for me remains Lenihans contract resolution.

Yup, Graham nice, Conway a bit meh but Lenihan in terms of value has to be tied down.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do understand to an extent, but if either of those managers had been successful, their character defects wouldnt have been pointed out.

I've just been sick in my mouth ?

On 16/06/2018 at 22:52, RoversClitheroe said:

That Daniel Arzani would be a fantastic signing for us young international pace etc

I mentioned him in my previous post on this thread as one of the three Aussie players i think we should be having a go at signing. This guy is raw but it is clear he has huge potential and now (perhaps post world cup) would be the time to try and sign him. 

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

The world of football reporting/discussion is strewn with cliche as I'm sure you've noticed.

Gross exaggeration has kicked off many a furore on here so I'll keep pointing it out.

1 hour ago, BrisRover said:

I mentioned him in my previous post on this thread as one of the three Aussie players i think we should be having a go at signing. This guy is raw but it is clear he has huge potential and now (perhaps post world cup) would be the time to try and sign him. 

He plays For Melbourne City who are owned by Man City.

If anything, he'll go to Citeh, and either become a regular with them (he has the potential) or he'll end up like Mooy, being transferred to a lesser club in the prem.

I did say in an earlier post that Arzani was 17. As someone pointed out, he is in fact 19. It must have been my beer goggles kicking in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stuart said:

Funny that people who hold the club to their word are the ones mocked.

If we can’t (or don’t know if we can) “do our business early” then we shouldn’t say it. Maybe it was for Venkys’ benefit or to pique interest ahead of the early bird deadline but having only ended up re-signing two old stalwarts we are going to have to make some very imaginative signings to tempt fans to pay the now higher price.

It’s another example though of saying one thing and doing... nothing.

Of course, there is plenty of time to get recruits in and the only one we “appear” to have missed out in is Oztumer - if he was ever a target - but a fresh face or two would help to reduce concerns about our squad depth. As it stands we look as though we are “on our way back” down rather than the implied up.

Team spirit, ‘avin’ a larf, is one thing but if I was a 24yo Dack, after two L1 player of the season awards in three years, I’d want to know that Rovers shared my ambition as much as the other clubs my agent keeps telling me do.

I think this is some exaggeration here Stuart. By Mowbray saying he wants business done early then by my reckoning he has another approx. 3 weeks to do this. I'd say any signings before the 2nd week of July would constitute as "early". The first pre season game is 7th July I believe whilst the Championship season starts around this time in August. It would be incredibly early to have wrapped up a couple of big signings already.

Last summer I thought we were proactive (for us).

Whittingham signed 13th June

Dack signed 27th June

Gladwin 28th June

Samuel 19th July

Harry Chapman loan 4th August

Antonsson loan 11th August

All about what folk think 'early' means, and Mowbray putting needless pressure on himself and the club by putting up the Austria camp as a date for having players in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Last summer I thought we were proactive (for us).

Whittingham signed 13th June

Dack signed 27th June

Gladwin 28th June

Samuel 19th July

Harry Chapman loan 4th August

Antonsson loan 11th August

All about what folk think 'early' means, and Mowbray putting needless pressure on himself and the club by putting up the Austria camp as a date for having players in.

This. Absolutely no need for him to come out and state a date he wants business done by, especially in a World Cup year. 

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This. Absolutely no need for him to come out and state a date he wants business done by, especially in a World Cup year. 

Ya, imagine. Saying you want to get something done by a specific date. What a bizzare thing to do. Nobody has ever said they would do something by a certain date before. This is undoubtedly a first. 

• Backroom

I don't see where this so called pressure comes from. The context of the 'I would like signings in ready for pre-season' is just common sense. The tone in which it was delivered was along the lines of 'if not, then as soon as possible'.

Only people inviting pressure are on this mb. 

• Like 4