BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Don't get me wrong Williams is ok, although I would hope he is not a first team regular next season, but surely there are more pressing contracts to sort out than his?

Dack, Lenihan, Mulgrew should all be offered in front of him in the que.

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

First signing in today I reckon

Based on what? We could say that every day until 7th August, bound to be correct at some point!

13 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Don't get me wrong Williams is ok, although I would hope he is not a first team regular next season, but surely there are more pressing contracts to sort out than his?

Dack, Lenihan, Mulgrew should all be offered in front of him in the que.

Based on what? We could say that every day until 7th August, bound to be correct at some point!

just got a feeling mate, today's the day

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

It must be me then because I don't see a player at all in Williams.  Technically awful and his passing is poor. The championship will find him out straight away.  Can't play him in a three, he doesn't have the pace or technique on the ball.

• Like 2

Considering he has got this far in the game, and is now a international I agree it must be you!

I have always thought he was pretty average to be honest, good enough for a third division team looking for promotion last year, not good enough to be a regular starter in the second tier this year.

I imagine Mowbray will see him as a useful squad member as in his mind he can cover centre half, left back and left wing back next season.

I've never really understood the criticism of Williams. He was a standout player for us in the run of games under Mowbray in the Championship, so I don't see any reason why he would struggle all of a sudden next season. 

He did have a few games at the start of last season where he did look poor (at home to AFC Wimbledon springs straight to mind), but even he's admitted that he grew into the season. Across the season he was one of our more consistent performers, which has culminated in an international call up. I'm looking forward to seeing him kick on next season. 

• Like 4

Williams is an average steady left back and if we had someone similar at right back I think the side would be more solid. Bell has the potential to maybe be better though because of his pace so it'll be interesting to see how that develops but on our budget can we do better than either of those at the min ?

No it's very doubtful so other areas of the team need looking at first and foremost, back to Derek I think if he could sort out his often woeful distribution he actually might rank in the 'good' category for left backs at mid champ level.

22 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t think he’s disagreeing with you mate, I just think he’s pointing out how much of an exaggeration it is to be up in arms because we haven’t managed to sort more business out early.

Id have to find the original article with the exact quote - doesn’t he say he’s “like to get everything done” which is not a statement of intent, it’s just wishful thinking in reality - Id like to take Olivia Atwood out for a Sunday lunch but I doubt I’d be criticised much if it never happened.

BDS and Dof95 are right, there is no need for such exaggeration. To suggest we are on our way back down because we have signed anyone yet is absolute garbage. 

"up in arms"  :lol:

Just now, arbitro said:

Are Sunderland paying Brighton to take him?

Football is a crazy business where quite often being poor at your job is rewarded.

Brighton looking for a 2nd/3rd choice keeper with Aussie Ryan being their main man inbetween the sticks.

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rovers and Sunderland fans know what he is like. Why is a premier league signing him? A team with a good manager at that. Is there something he does that I don't see? 

No, he's terrible. Can only assume he's being brought in as second/third choice, but I don't even think he's good enough for that. If there's literally any chance of him ending up between the sticks in a PL match then the club is taking a huge risk signing him. 

Just now, RovingRover said:

Brighton looking for a 2nd/3rd choice keeper with Aussie Ryan being their main man inbetween the sticks.

I understand that but if their first or second choice are injured he would play..........in the Premier League.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Remember when Jake Kean got a move to Norwich; even worse than Steele.

Backup keepers can make a career of never being good enough to have to play.

• Like 3