BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

42 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I am astonished that we sold him for 500k and now Sunderland are selling him for 1.5 million despite two terrible seasons - being relegated from the Championship twice in a row?

They have made more out of him than we did.

Its outrageous! We made him into the failure he is and we should have the credit!! :)

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Few posts a few pages back that are completely missing the point over Duffy:

"Sunderland fans pissing themselves on Twitter at the prospect of making profit on him. Seems they don't rate him much...

Mind you, Blackburn fans were going on about how shite Duffy was."

"Blackburn fans were having a whip round to pay for Duffys transport to sign for us. That didn’t turn out bad. Some players just don’t fit into certain clubs."

We wanted rid because of the way he forced the move, not because he wasnt a good player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

We wanted rid because of the way he forced the move, not because he wasnt a good player.

Actually my interpretation is that we wanted rid because we knew we could get a few million quid for him and we weren't willing/able to offer him a new contract to stay with us.

If he did push for a move it was likely a consequence of the club's behaviour in selling numerous other quality players and making our ambitions quite clear by appointing Owen Coyle and spending no money.

Whilst I wasn't a fan of Duffy's by any stretch he's just another one that a lot at Rovers were happy to see the back of but who has gone on to better things whilst we have gone backwards.

The narrative is that Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Gestede, Rhodes all got too big for their boots and wanted to leave Rovers. I think its the other way around - Rovers wanted shut of them to cash in and as a result of that those players realised they weren't wanted and looked elsewhere.

• Like 1

Duffy showed shades of potential mostly when the ball was landing directly on his nut but on the deck he was like bambi on ice at times.  Think it was always a case of get him in a settled partnership in the right formation and he'd be ok, I've watched him for Brighton he's committed that's his type of player but he's far from great but he's enough about him to cope at higher level.

Just like the other one we had briefly his head never ever seemed in it at Ewood and he was likely just plonked in here for a wage and games whilst waiting for a better move and knew this from the start.

That's how things seemed to be run at the time and it's not hard to fathom why, shop window vehicle.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The narrative is that Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Gestede, Rhodes all got too big for their boots and wanted to leave Rovers. I think its the other way around - Rovers wanted shut of them to cash in and as a result of that those players realised they weren't wanted and looked elsewhere.

Add Cairney to the list but the 'cash in' on him happened so quickly there was no talk of him being unsettled. In fact he said himself he has happy at Rovers.

I'm sure it will happen again in the future. Has Lenihan signed a new contract yet?

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Add Cairney to the list but the 'cash in' on him happened so quickly there was no talk of him being unsettled. In fact he said himself he has happy at Rovers.

I'm sure it will happen again in the future. Has Lenihan signed a new contract yet?

Indeed. Unfortunately for those orchestrating the fire-sale the Cairney one was the giveaway. With Duffy, Hanley, Marshall there was sufficient time before they were sold to develop the impression that those players were angling for transfers and that Rovers were trying to keep them. Drop in a few 'contract offers' into the Telegraph which never came to fruition and it wasn't difficult to convince people that those players were bad eggs who had their heads turned at that the club was acting entirely reasonably in selling them.

The Cairney one was so quick, out of the blue and clearly done without any pushing from the player or manager that it gave the game away. Not even Rovers and the Telegraph could concoct a plausible cover story for that one - no rumours of the player wanting out and no time for contract 'discussions' to stall - pure and simply the cash was offered and Rovers were desperate to take it with scant regard for the implications - as time has shown another dreadful decision.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

Effectively occupying our PL spot. Playing top flight football against all expectations. Success is 17th. Can afford to throw away £1.5m on a reserve keeper.

Yeah, my sympathy is a little low if I’m honest.

It hasn't been 'our' spot for many years now, skipper. 

Claudio Yacob released from West Brom. Only 30, not technically gifted but loves a tackle. Presume his wages may be a touch on the high side, but thought I'd throw him out there seen as we've been linked with absolutely nobody and this thread is collapsing quicker than Panama's defence will be on Sunday ;) 

• Like 2

It's obvious Tony is holding fire with his tens of millions transfer kitty to watch the talent on view in the World Cup and make his move after the end of the tournament. From what I have seen so far, the Portuguese No 7 shows promise and the Uruguay No 9 could be useful in the Championship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's obvious Tony is holding fire with his tens of millions transfer kitty to watch the talent on view in the World Cup and make his move after the end of the tournament. From what I have seen so far, the Portuguese No 7 shows promise and the Uruguay No 9 could be useful in the Championship. 

Don't think that number 9 has enough toughness or bite about him for the Championship. 

As for the number 7 I think he is too old for Tony

2 hours ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He wasn't that bothered when he signed Whittingham Caddis & Gladwin

True although to be fair looking back he still had to get a few players in sharpish at times to bolster the wreck he inherited and probably not using much of a scouting or recruitment dept.

Hopefully there'll be an improvement on those types now he has a proper recruitment structure in place and they've had time to look around and asses. Main problem I see this time is him getting the go ahead from above to get the ones he's recommended as I fear a lot of the spare dosh in the budget will be swallowed re-signing those he already has.

As long as they stay away from certain peoples client lists it might still be ok although if I was a betting man i'd say 4 players in made up of two freebies or back up players for a couple of hundred grand each and 2 young loans who's clubs are paying nearly all the wages.

Oh crap we are back into Caddis & Gladwin territory ?

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

True although to be fair looking back he still had to get a few players in sharpish at times to bolster the wreck he inherited and probably not using much of a scouting or recruitment dept.

Hopefully there'll be an improvement on those types now he has a proper recruitment structure in place and they've had time to look around and asses. Main problem I see this time is him getting the go ahead from above to get the ones he's recommended as I fear a lot of the spare dosh in the budget will be swallowed re-signing those he already has.

As long as they stay away from certain peoples client lists it might still be ok although if I was a betting man i'd say 4 players in made up of two freebies or back up players for a couple of hundred grand each and 2 young loans who's clubs are paying nearly all the wages.

Oh crap we are back into Caddis & Gladwin territory ?

If true that we bid 500k for the Charlton defender it certainly suggests we have money to spend on a couple. 

That Rich Sharpe telegraph reporter reckoned we would see a few cash buys ,a couple for more than we paid for Dack and Samuel

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

You would expect that if we were serious about buying Armstrong permanently, then that deal could have been done.  More time passes, less likely that becomes.

He has been at the Toulon tournament with England and most likely Newcastle haven't made a decision on what to do with him next season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If true that we bid 500k for the Charlton defender it certainly suggests we have money to spend on a couple. 

That Rich Sharpe telegraph reporter reckoned we would see a few cash buys ,a couple for more than we paid for Dack and Samuel

That would be a nice bonus and it's not before time, spend a couple of mill per season on a couple of players whilst retaining the good ones you've got within reason is the way to build it up properly again.

Throw in one or two of your own youth who are ready as well as squad fillers instead of others youth loaned in and sitting on the bench doing nowt.