BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Let's see how he goes next year. 3 years will be wasted money if he relegates us again. 

no lets not. 

lets backed a manager who has build a team which has passion, commitment, represent the club motto and build a fantastic rapport with the fans. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Let's see how he goes next year. 3 years will be wasted money if he relegates us again. 

Absolutely !

Mowbray's got it all to play for this season results wise and building the club up with quality transfers. Let's wait and see how he performs this season before he's rewarded.

Edited by JAL

Few thoughts from what I've read:

- Chapman, as I've said before, the nature and instant recurrence of his injury makes this almost certainly a non-starter (ironically) in my book. Only if its permanent and cheap would it remotely appeal, loan should be a no go. One of the main reasons is because we are so short of wide players, with only Bennett (more of a utility player) and Conway (wont be a starter) therefore we have to look to sign players who will start in these positions, not ones who Mowbray has already stated he only sees as a sub.

- Certainly wouldnt be offering Mowbray a long term (3 year) contract, its not like a player where you need to protect the asset, if we start next season well then maybe give him an extra year but it certainly shouldnt be an urgent priority, especially as there is no indication that he will leave.

- Armstrong is the one from last season that we have to look to sign if possible, fits into our team like a glove.

- @chaddyrovers quoted that Mowbray said "I'd sacrifice quality for personality and character" now as much as I totally understand the need for players to have the right character, a good character is not enough, as I repeatedly said with Conway as to why I didnt want him to be given a new deal, you need both, 1 is useless without the other. Bad attitude, player wont fulfill potential, offers nothing on the pitch but a good character, see Jason Lowe.

• Backroom

Mowbray did mention around 6 signings, his phone is ringing off the hook about Nuttall and Travis but he wants to see them in pre season before committing to loans.

Theres cash to spend, he obviously didn’t say what but I’d guess 3/4 million and the dilemma he has whether to blow most of it on a main striker or spend less on one and balance out on other signings.

He also said Whilst we may take a loanee if they are genuinely better than we could afford otherwise he isn’t keen on loans and would rather have contracted players.

As I said elsewhere what I took from it was Chapman will happen on the cheap if he accepts that he isn’t going to be starting at least at first, Armstrong much less likely to happen, expensive and record at Bolton nothing to write home about.

Mowbray was keen to reaffirm how much stock he puts into people and again referred to a bad egg that they needed to get rid of and he wouldn’t want to risk anyone coming in and disrupting the culture of the dressing room.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Few thoughts from what I've read:

- Chapman, as I've said before, the nature and instant recurrence of his injury makes this almost certainly a non-starter (ironically) in my book. Only if its permanent and cheap would it remotely appeal, loan should be a no go. One of the main reasons is because we are so short of wide players, with only Bennett (more of a utility player) and Conway (wont be a starter) therefore we have to look to sign players who will start in these positions, not ones who Mowbray has already stated he only sees as a sub.

- Certainly wouldnt be offering Mowbray a long term (3 year) contract, its not like a player where you need to protect the asset, if we start next season well then maybe give him an extra year but it certainly shouldnt be an urgent priority, especially as there is no indication that he will leave.

- Armstrong is the one from last season that we have to look to sign if possible, fits into our team like a glove.

- @chaddyrovers quoted that Mowbray said "I'd sacrifice quality for personality and character" now as much as I totally understand the need for players to have the right character, a good character is not enough, as I repeatedly said with Conway as to why I didnt want him to be given a new deal, you need both, 1 is useless without the other. Bad attitude, player wont fulfill potential, offers nothing on the pitch but a good character, see Jason Lowe.

Totally agree and I'm sure others could add a bit more to your sentiments.

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Doesn't seem that Chapman is a priority signing if Mowbray's quotes are anything to go by. 

not from what I have read

Just now, Tom said:

Mowbray did mention around 6 signings, his phone is ringing off the hook about Nuttall and Travis but he wants to see them in pre season before committing to loans.

Theres cash to spend, he obviously didn’t say what but I’d guess 3/4 million and the dilemma he has whether to blow most of it on a main striker or spend less on one and balance out on other signings.

He also said Whilst we may take a loanee if they are genuinely better than we could afford otherwise he isn’t keen on loans and would rather have contracted players.

As I said elsewhere what I took from it was Chapman will happen on the cheap if he accepts that he isn’t going to be starting at least at first, Armstrong much less likely to happen, expensive and record at Bolton nothing to write home about.

Mowbray was keen to reaffirm how much stock he puts into peoplebane again referred to a bad egg that they needed to get rid of and he wouldn’t want to risk anyone coming in and disrupting the culture of the dressing room.

mention 5 or 6 signings. 

I can understand his stance on loan players and not wanting his squad with 3 or 4 loan players in it. 

would it be right to say Tom that we can expect 2 or 3 cash buys and 2 or 3 free transfer signings? 

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

not from what I have read

mention 5 or 6 signings. 

I can understand his stance on loan players and not wanting his squad with 3 or 4 loan players in it. 

would it be right to say Tom that we can expect 2 or 3 cash buys and 2 or 3 free transfer signings? 

He didn’t speak too much about free transfers other than he’s fortunate to not have to be working just in that market.

5 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He needs to do something positive with Travis. Either play him here or send him on loan. He needs to play. Same with Nuttall. They both need to progress.

I think Travis will become a terrific midfielder. 

He sounded like he’s a huge fan of Travis, spoke about his passion for the game and joked that he makes him nervous cause he’s so determined even in training that he worries about him and Smallwood injuring each other!

Definitely plans for him.

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Apparently Mowbray said "we could go and sign Chapman now but he wouldn't get in my team" 

Anyone who was there confirm that? 

Maybe a slight misquote, he did say he wants to bring in 6 or so players and players of quality and maybe Harry at this point wouldn’t be starting when we get to that point. 

Again he’s clearly a fan and would like him at his disposal but I think he wants to know that Chapman won’t be a nuisance if he finds himself out of the team. He obviously wants to see the desire in him to keep improving.

All of this was just my interpretation as Mowbray was respectful and didn’t want to say too much about other teams players so spoke in broad terms 

33 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Smallwood had nothing to do with Whittingham being a poor signing. 

Didn't say he was. Certainly wasn't my intention anyway. Had we not signed Smallwood, I reckon Whittingham would have been found out and someone else (Travis?) would have had a far prominent role last season.

Very worrying comment from TM about preferring character over quality. It's become apparent already that he has his favourites and that's probably the reason why Conway landed a new contract. I'd have thought most top managers would take the opposite viewpoint, they'd want the quality player and have faith in their ability to Man manage them.

Pretty clear also he's not over keen on Chapman. If fit he's walk into our side for me but it seems TM doesn't regard him as a solid enough option defensively. 

Don't see there's any need to give TM a new contract either at this stage until we see how we fare next Season. I like the guy a lot but with the greatest of respect it's not like he's Kenny Dalglish or anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Mowbray last got a new contract when he took us down. It would be very Venkys not to give him another now he's took us back up. 

When does his current deal run to? I assume he's under contract until this time next year at least?

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Phil foden might be heading to leeds .  That's what we have to compete with 

Wow, that would be some signing for them.Maybe we'll have to try and be a bit cheeky and up our sights on who we bring in on loan as well.

Seems for whatever reason, as much as TM likes Chapman, that he does not seem convinced on bringing him back. Even when here he was on the bench for most games.

Perhaps the combination of the potential for injury and his own ideas as to formations and starters will mean we will not be seeing him back.

As for Armstrong though, I would be trying to get him back here. Yes he struggled in the Champs with Bolton but he always does well under TM and this would be why AA would be desperate to come back as he knows his best chance of proving himself in that division would be with us and TM. As another poster said, it only takes one good season in the division to see his value skyrocket.

Seems to really rate Travis which is good news - hope he eithers gets more minutes than last year or is sent on loan in L1 of something.

What I take from the Chapman comments is, that whilst Mowbray would like him here as an option to change games etc, he won't be starting games because he wont be playing with wingers at the start of next season.

Mowbray will persevere with his favourite 3 at the back through pre season and the first few games I think and see what happens, of course if it doesn't work he will probably go back to what worked this season, but that way he can get both Williams and Bell in the side which at times last season you could tell he was desperate to do, and he doesn't have to worry about signing any wingers.

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe Bennett Smallwood Evans Bell

Dack

Graham

Obviously he will sign one or two that will slot into that side, but I'm convinced we'll be starting the season with that system.

Edited by MarkBRFC

54 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

owbray will persevere with his favourite 3 at the back through pre season and the first few games I think and see what happens

The first lot of fixtures have been very kind to us and we need to be picking up points from them games. We can't afford to have a mountain to climb from the off. It failed miserably last season and cost us the title. If it doesn't work this time it could prove to cost us our championship status. I just hope he's learned from last season and he knows what he is doing. In Tony we trust yet I can't turn these alarm bells off that are ringing in my ears