BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

• Backroom

I see the sense in everything he said last night, he said if we went out and did what Forest are doing splashing huge wages on big players then what about the players that are here; suddenly you have Bradley Dack on half the amount of the new guys.

He would prefer to do things gradually and more naturally.

He clearly has ambitions of getting promoted but I think realistically he thinks if you add 6 players this year and 4-5 end up mainstays of the first team and then next season add 3/4 more you could have a strong promotion challenge the season after.

He spoke about winning this league before with Kevin Phillips and how you need a striker like him that you know will score when the ball gets to him, wonder if he’s heard of Jordan Rhodes ?

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very worrying comment from TM about preferring character over quality. It's become apparent already that he has his favourites and that's probably the reason why Conway landed a new contract. I'd have thought most top managers would take the opposite viewpoint, they'd want the quality player and have faith in their ability to Man manage them.

Pretty clear also he's not over keen on Chapman. If fit he's walk into our side for me but it seems TM doesn't regard him as a solid enough option defensively. 

Don't see there's any need to give TM a new contract either at this stage until we see how we fare next Season. I like the guy a lot but with the greatest of respect it's not like he's Kenny Dalglish or anything.

I would argue differently. Quality and Character must go hand in hand. Too many times we have signed perceived quality signings whose character ruined squad atmosphere. Fundamentally this is a team sport not just an individual one. I would much rather see a typical fighting spirited Blackburn Rovers with everyone working for each other.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray deserve a new contract, I would give him a new 3 years contract 

Easy Tiger. Baby steps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

What I take from the Chapman comments is, that whilst Mowbray would like him here as an option to change games etc, he won't be starting games because he wont be playing with wingers at the start of next season.

Mowbray will persevere with his favourite 3 at the back through pre season and the first few games I think and see what happens, of course if it doesn't work he will probably go back to what worked this season, but that way he can get both Williams and Bell in the side which at times last season you could tell he was desperate to do, and he doesn't have to worry about signing any wingers.

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe Bennett Smallwood Evans Bell

Dack

Graham

Obviously he will sign one or two that will slot into that side, but I'm convinced we'll be starting the season with that system.

That's not a team that has me jumping out of my seat I'm afraid Mark.   Centre midfield is too plodding and predictable. We need at least one of those three that can regularly get up and beyond the strikers. I can't see that in those three. Also I'm not sure Nyambe and Bell are creative enough to contribute enough from out wide for that system to work well. 

I agree with Mowbray we need to build slowly, a couple of good players every year. That's what Dyche has done down the road. He signs a couple of good players each year that go more or less straight into the first team. They'll do it again this close season. Piece by piece you end up with a good team.

You could say Mowbray did that last year with Smallwood and Dack.

The thing is these players we sign have to be good enough to hit the ground running and go into the first team right away. Signing back up players isn't the answer for us now we're playing at a higher level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I would argue differently. Quality and Character must go hand in hand. Too many times we have signed perceived quality signings whose character ruined squad atmosphere. Fundamentally this is a team sport not just an individual one. I would much rather see a typical fighting spirited Blackburn Rovers with everyone working for each other.

A team of grafters will only take you so far. You need the skill factor as well.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not a team that has me jumping out of my seat I'm afraid Mark.   Centre midfield is too plodding and predictable. We need at least one of those three that can regularly get up and beyond the strikers. I can't see that in those three. Also I'm not sure Nyambe and Bell are creative enough to contribute enough from out wide for that system to work well. 

I agree with Mowbray we need to build slowly, a couple of good players every year. That's what Dyche has done down the road. He signs a couple of good players each year that go more or less straight into the first team. They'll do it again this close season. Piece by piece you end up with a good team.

The thing is these players we sign have to be good enough to hit the ground running and go into the first team right away. Signing back up players isn't the answer for us now we're playing at a higher level.

Completely agree, for me that side would be in a relegation battle all season, the point was I think that is the system that Mowbray will start with next season because it's obvious that it's his first choice.

Looking at that side, I'd say we need at least 4 players to go into it and be better than what we already have to make us a competitive mid table side, I just don't see it happening though.

Talk of the play offs is pie in the sky at the moment I'm afraid.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

In fairness Coyle relegated us 100% TM record after the dick left us was admirable considering!

I went for 90% as the Barnsley home game where we lost 0-2 still sticks in the craw, that and a couple of other games I felt Big T was too negative in his approach. Overall though I don't blame him, I blame chimp head and the chicken botherers. 

Anyway...... any danger of a transfer?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

Phil foden might be heading to leeds .  That's what we have to compete with 

Going to be in and around the City 1st team squad according to the MEN. That might change once they've done their transfers, but it looks like people taking Guardiola and Bielsa as mates, putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-transfers-phil-foden-14812603

In regards to Chapman I really hope if he is going to be recovered from his hamstring totally which is a big ask they get him on another loan. I really see TM going with a defensive winger ( Conway) or midfield type and a striker ( Samuel) on the other side again as his preferred starting line up.  I think he has shades of GB in him like that in as much as he doesn't like chasing games from the off unless he really feels he has to and we've seen it enough times, not much chance of flying wingers on both flanks even if he gets them in the ranks.

Therefore the more Chapman types we have to come on and have a go the better because we'll need them.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A team of grafters will only take you so far. You need the skill factor as well.

Absolutely agreed, but currently we have a team of grafters with some talented football players. The most important for me this year is to stay in the Championship and stabilise and slowly acquire a team that can push. I am aware we need quality but I would much rather avoid a Ravel Morrison, Leon Best, Dickson Etuhu, Danny Murphy situation where they were all technically fantastic players but attitude was rotten to the core. I agree with Mowbray we need the right character in who has the right talent. Successful clubs have always spoken about the unity of the team, we have that now and we need to continue on in that direction and make the right signing at the right time. 

• Like 1

If he was taking over as U23's manager I could see that making sense, would he want to come here as a U23 assistant though?

After the job he has done at Chorley he could easily be in with a shout of getting a managers gig at the next level up.

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Don't know if this should be in here, but Matt Jansen has stepped down as Chorley manager with immediate effect, New Assistant manager of the U23's ?

Mowbray said last night that Dunny wouldn't be replaced and that Johnson would run the Under-23s on his own.

• Like 2

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

If he was taking over as U23's manager I could see that making sense, would he want to come here as a U23 assistant though?

After the job he has done at Chorley he could easily be in with a shout of getting a managers gig at the next level up.

Agree,  might be just a coincidence with Dunn officially leaving. 

Perhaps @Lancashire lad might have some insight

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Mowbray said last night that Dunny wouldn't be replaced and that Johnson would run the Under-23s on his own.

Oh ok, thanks Parsonblue, not seen that. 

EDIT: Apparently problems between himself and the CEO and owners of the club

https://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/sport/football/chorley-fc/breaking-shock-exit-for-chorley-manager-matt-jansen-1-9217832

Edited by perthblue02

A few saying they think he is Blackpool bound as Bowyers no 2 ?

Shame he's left Chorley but he's probably taken them as far as he can without some investment.

Edited by tomphil

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Shame about Armstrong whom I thought looked very useful.

Glad Nixon is not getting any tantric tips right.

how has Nixon been be right. told me this week, Armstrong coming here permanently would be out of budget unless wages and fee wanted changed. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I see the sense in everything he said last night, he said if we went out and did what Forest are doing splashing huge wages on big players then what about the players that are here; suddenly you have Bradley Dack on half the amount of the new guys.

He would prefer to do things gradually and more naturally.

He clearly has ambitions of getting promoted but I think realistically he thinks if you add 6 players this year and 4-5 end up mainstays of the first team and then next season add 3/4 more you could have a strong promotion challenge the season after.

He spoke about winning this league before with Kevin Phillips and how you need a striker like him that you know will score when the ball gets to him, wonder if he’s heard of Jordan Rhodes ?

Tom, its time we moved on from Jordan Rhodes pal. the guy left and done nothing with his career apart from not played games and not scored goals. plus his wages would be massive issue and Mowbray has said he doesn't want players on daft amount of money

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Its a workmanlike team which has a great team spirit and togetherness. I wouldn't play Nyambe as a wing back but put Bennett there. But we still have 6 weeks until the season starts so our line up will change. 

I agree on building this team slowly and we need to the spirit and togetherness within the team. 

2 hours ago, roverstdt said:

Absolutely agreed, but currently we have a team of grafters with some talented football players. The most important for me this year is to stay in the Championship and stabilise and slowly acquire a team that can push. I am aware we need quality but I would much rather avoid a Ravel Morrison, Leon Best, Dickson Etuhu, Danny Murphy situation where they were all technically fantastic players but attitude was rotten to the core. I agree with Mowbray we need the right character in who has the right talent. Successful clubs have always spoken about the unity of the team, we have that now and we need to continue on in that direction and make the right signing at the right time. 

agreed we have a team of grafters with some talented football players. I agreed we have to build slowly and not bring in a bad egg and upset the camp. any signing must have the right character and wages must not be silly and more than other players. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Parsonblue, do you think that's the right decision not to replace Dunn or do you expect Billy Barr or Mike Sheron to help out there when require?

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

A few saying they think he is Blackpool bound as Bowyers no 2 ?

Shame he's left Chorley but he's probably taken them as far as he can without some investment.

isn't Terry McPhillips not Bowyer number 2 there?

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Cost cutting ?

why? Dunn left for his own reasons. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how has Nixon been be right. told me this week, Armstrong coming here permanently would be out of budget unless wages and fee wanted changed. 

Tom, its time we moved on from Jordan Rhodes pal. the guy left and done nothing with his career apart from not played games and not scored goals. plus his wages would be massive issue and Mowbray has said he doesn't want players on daft amount of money

Its a workmanlike team which has a great team spirit and togetherness. I wouldn't play Nyambe as a wing back but put Bennett there. But we still have 6 weeks until the season starts so our line up will change. 

I agree on building this team slowly and we need to the spirit and togetherness within the team. 

agreed we have a team of grafters with some talented football players. I agreed we have to build slowly and not bring in a bad egg and upset the camp. any signing must have the right character and wages must not be silly and more than other players. 

Parsonblue, do you think that's the right decision not to replace Dunn or do you expect Billy Barr or Mike Sheron to help out there when require?

why? Dunn left for his own reasons. 

Mowbray said he's asked Johnson to do it all himself now, if he needed an assistant before why doesn't he need one now ?

It's odd that Mr Blackburn walks away from a well paid job on his doorstep at the club he loves so for all we know they might have asked him to take a pay cut or go part time or something.

Maybe Johnson will get a new assistant once it all settles down again and the season begins but it's a shame the club didn't want to keep that successful partnership in place, bigger things could have been on the horizon for them in the future.

Edited by tomphil

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Actually he has, since leaving us he's been promoted to the Premier League, had a shot at the Premier League, moved clubs and been mid-table in the Championship again. He always said when at Rovers that he wanted a shot at the Premier League, even if just a few games, and he's had it. Meanwhile we've dismantled the club and been down to League One.

He's out of favour at Sheffield and needs a move to get him going again but there's no question he'll score goals if played.

It never ceases to amaze me that people have such a problem with a good lad who scored close to 100 goals in 4 seasons at Rovers, 2 of which essentially kept us in the division.

McPhillips is assistant manager but Andy Todd left earlier this week and he was 1st team coach.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray said he's asked Johnson to do it all himself now, if he needed an assistant before why doesn't he need one now ?

It's odd that Mr Blackburn walks away from a well paid job on his doorstep at the club he loves so for all we know they might have asked him to take a pay cut or go part time or something.

Maybe Johnson will get a new assistant once it all settles down again and the season begins but it's a shame the club didn't want to keep that successful partnership in place, bigger things could have been on the horizon for them in the future.

Maybe Billy Barr will just step up on match days?

Dunn walk away not the club or Mowbray decision to get rid of him. Mowbray talk about other business interests outside of football. Are you calling Mowbray a liar? Look at comments from Dunn on official website and his comments about Mowbray. Plus Dunn has a family so might want to spend more time with them. 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Actually he has, since leaving us he's been promoted to the Premier League, had a shot at the Premier League, moved clubs and been mid-table in the Championship again. He always said when at Rovers that he wanted a shot at the Premier League, even if just a few games, and he's had it. Meanwhile we've dismantled the club and been down to League One.

He's out of favour at Sheffield and needs a move to get him going again but there's no question he'll score goals if played.

It never ceases to amaze me that people have such a problem with a good lad who scored close to 100 goals in 4 seasons at Rovers, 2 of which essentially kept us in the division.

McPhillips is assistant manager but Andy Todd left earlier this week and he was 1st team coach.

Actually he hasnt. Barely played at PL level. Not good enough. 

But we wont signing Rhodes. Hes on 40k at Sheff Wed. Can we afford it? Nope. 

Would I sign him? Deffo not. We moved on since then. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Actually he hasnt. Barely played at PL level. Not good enough. 

But we wont signing Rhodes. Hes on 40k at Sheff Wed. Can we afford it? Nope. 

Would I sign him? Deffo not. We moved on since then. 

You're probably right he isn't good enough for the PL. Still he got there and had a shot at it which he wasn't going to get with us. He is definitely good enough for the Championship though, which is our area of concern.

You're right we've moved on but not necessarily in a good way.

We need players of Championship ability and there is one potentially available who scored close to 100 goals for this club not long ago. I don't know who there is with a better record than that who you're expecting us to sign.

Whether we can afford it or not depends on what he wants and on what his current club wants. I'm intrigued by this acceptance that a bottom half side like Sheffield Wednesday can chuck around £40k a week for him to be sat on their bench is absolutely fine and yet the prospect of us potentially paying half of that to bring him back here is one that can immediately be ruled out as financially impossible or if not impossible then foolish or wrong.

I accept its unlikely to happen for us but someone in the Championship will likely sign him and I suspect he will score a lot of goals for them.

• Like 2