BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Can’t beleive the amount of people writing Samuel off. The lad is 23 years old, 6ft 1in and pace like an express train. His personal trainer decision shows he’s hungry to do well. He’s a confidence player for me. Needs to score early and get a run. But he has all attributes to do well in the Championship imo. Good luck to the lad.

If it helps him with the mental as well as the physical side of the game I'm all for it. He is a confidence player but must take whatever chances come his way in playing time and goal scoring opportunities.

I also hope his red mist moments are under control, last seasons red card finished his season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Can’t beleive the amount of people writing Samuel off. The lad is 23 years old, 6ft 1in and pace like an express train. His personal trainer decision shows he’s hungry to do well. He’s a confidence player for me. Needs to score early and get a run. But he has all attributes to do well in the Championship imo. Good luck to the lad.

I hope he has turned a corner. He seemed to get easily discouraged when things weren't going his way. I'd be working on the mental side of his game as much as the physical. He could become a decent " hold up " type of centre forward but he'll never become a prolific goal scorer as he lacks that essential composure in front of goal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Either of those line ups is relegation fodder. 

We need something. Preferably pace out wide and up top to hit teams on the counter.  Just too many pedestrian players in there.    Sounds like we are keeping our powder dry until clubs are prepared to accept less than market value for their players...

Another missing the point- the whole post is to show that we aren’t in a bad starting place, a few others seem to think we need serious investment or we will be relegated.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can't believe we paid £500k for him. I hope Mowbray has a better success rate with his transfers this summer than last. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Maybe it's because he wasn't good enough at League 1 level so most people can't see how he'll be an asset one division higher?

I wonder if the fact We're pouring time and effort into Samuel trying to get a tune of sorts out of him is another little indication there's a lot less money available than we all hoped.

I didn't really expect us to spend £15m in transfer fees this summer but I had hoped around half that would be invested in the squad to try and make us competitive

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

I can't believe we paid £500k for him. I hope Mowbray has a better success rate with his transfers this summer than last. 

I think Mowbray would argue that the aim was promotion and we achieved that so overall his success rate on transfers did the job!

Samuel won’t be a world beater but has some decent assets, worth having in the squad for me.

• Like 7

Samuel was doing reasonably well until his sending off against Portsmouth. He displaced Graham early on in the season due to Grahams poor form and the stupid sending off gave Graham another opportunity and he never looked back. Playing him wide didn't seem to help him as he was seen as more of a central striker. Hopefully Mowbray will give him opportunities as a centre forward in the upcoming friendlies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Its perfectly understandable. He looked out of his depth in League 1, didnt score after November nor threatened too often. He is quite quick yes (youve exaggerated somewhat) but he doesnt best utilise that. 

People are going overboard about him getting a personal trainer too. Someone posted a video of Lenihan with one but because theres no doubting his quality it hasnt been mentioned since. A lot of players will have personal trainers. Hes going to stay but he will have to improve a hell of a lot just to be competent at Championship level and hes done nothing to suggest he will be sadly.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Pace like a what ?

Turn  in the hyperbole  ?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Its perfectly understandable. He looked out of his depth in League 1, didnt score after November nor threatened too often. He is quite quick yes (youve exaggerated somewhat) but he doesnt best utilise that. 

People are going overboard about him getting a personal trainer too. Someone posted a video of Lenihan with one but because theres no doubting his quality it hasnt been mentioned since. A lot of players will have personal trainers. Hes going to stay but he will have to improve a hell of a lot just to be competent at Championship level and hes done nothing to suggest he will be sadly.

Out of his depth in league 1? Then you accuse someone else of exaggerating their language... 

He was kept out of the team in his preferred position by arguably the best striker in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I think Mowbray would argue that the aim was promotion and we achieved that so overall his success rate on transfers did the job!

Samuel won’t be a world beater but has some decent assets, worth having in the squad for me.

He could argue that but he knows it would be the kind of straw man that wouldn't last long in this weather! 

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Another missing the point- the whole post is to show that we aren’t in a bad starting place, a few others seem to think we need serious investment or we will be relegated.

Not missing the point.  That 'starting place', without serious investment in 5 or 6 champ quality players, is relegation fodder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Out of his depth in league 1? Then you accuse someone else of exaggerating their language... 

He was kept out of the team in his preferred position by arguably the best striker in the league. 

He didnt score in 6 months! Maybe a slight exaggeration but his lack of ability/work rate was evident on a consistent basis.

The off seasons a strange time, players previously written off are given another chance. Players like Gladwin and Sam Hart are in Austria with the first team, both far from even League 1 standard, yet more than 1 person has suggested that Gladwin could play a part last season, as if theyve forgotten how inept he is. People championing quite a few untested youngsters, ones who didnt break through even in a lower league.

Samuel was a poor utilisation of half a million, yet him showing some video on social media of him doing a bit of fitness work and loads of people are saying he can have a good season this year, regardless of him coming off the back of 1 where he scored 5 in 36 in a really poor league. All players will work on their fitness even when they go away, its not the 90s where the team comes back a couple of stones overweight. I hope he does suddenly improve, he does offer some occasional threat, but the standard needs to go up in general so he has to improve a lot.

Samuel is "a confidence player" but he couldn't find his confidence in the team that finished second?!!

However he will find his confidence playing  in a higher division!

I hope he does but it feels like clutching at straws to me.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt score in 6 months! Maybe a slight exaggeration but his lack of ability/work rate was evident on a consistent basis.

The off seasons a strange time, players previously written off are given another chance. Players like Gladwin and Sam Hart are in Austria with the first team, both far from even League 1 standard, yet more than 1 person has suggested that Gladwin could play a part last season, as if theyve forgotten how inept he is. People championing quite a few untested youngsters, ones who didnt break through even in a lower league.

Samuel was a poor utilisation of half a million, yet him showing some video on social media of him doing a bit of fitness work and loads of people are saying he can have a good season this year, regardless of him coming off the back of 1 where he scored 5 in 36 in a really poor league. All players will work on their fitness even when they go away, its not the 90s where the team comes back a couple of stones overweight. I hope he does suddenly improve, he does offer some occasional threat, but the standard needs to go up in general so he has to improve a lot.

Yes, he has to improve. At least he is taking steps to try and improve himself. Bizzare that some of you on seeing that he is working with a personal trainer, use it is an opportunity to have a pop and criticise him. He is a young lad, who is working hard to better himself. I just wonder how much work some of the Peles on the couch on here put into improving themsleves. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

As I have personally stated I think Samuel could be a decent player for us this season. However last years record throws a lot of doubt on that possibility and at the end of the day We can only wait and see how he performs. He might not have any impact, he may surprise a couple of people, but either way let's not write him off before the season has started.

Now, anyone itk know who we may of bidded on recently? 

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not missing the point.  That 'starting place', without serious investment in 5 or 6 champ quality players, is relegation fodder. 

To take those teams and suggest “relegation fodder” is pure missing the point WWWM. As I said they are the teams we have “without investment”. Nobody said that would be our starting side, nobody said we won’t add more, it was merely an effort to point out what’s in the club at the minute.

I think it’s difficult to argue that they are worse than the team that came down last time, especially considering the mentality had to be built from the ground up. Would I take Dack, Smallwood, and Raya before Emnes, Lowe and Steele? 

Still stand by the idea that those setups would scrap survival under TM, but the point you missed; we will likely be adding quality to what is already a decent squad with plenty of options.

A better starting place. Is it perfect? No, if we started the season with just those teams and picked up 1/2 key injuries - we’d be relying on some pretty young backups or Whittingham, Caddis and Gladwin.

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

To take those teams and suggest “relegation fodder” is pure missing the point WWWM. As I said they are the teams we have “without investment”. Nobody said that would be our starting side, nobody said we won’t add more, it was merely an effort to point out what’s in the club at the minute.

I think it’s difficult to argue that they are worse than the team that came down last time, especially considering the mentality had to be built from the ground up. Would I take Dack, Smallwood, and Raya before Emnes, Lowe and Steele? 

Still stand by the idea that those setups would scrap survival under TM, but the point you missed; we will likely be adding quality to what is already a decent squad with plenty of options.

A better starting place. Is it perfect? No, if we started the season with just those teams and picked up 1/2 key injuries - we’d be relying on some pretty young backups or Whittingham, Caddis and Gladwin.

Better team spirit, definitely.  Better calibre of player than those relegated? ...not convinced yet.  

We have a spine of Raya, Mulgrew, Dack and Graham.  Two of those are in the twighlight of their careers.  

We will make additional signings; whether they will be good enough is the debate.  To bring in at least 5 players of sufficient quality will cost.  The noises suggest we don't have sufficient funds to compete.  Mediocre signings will see us struggle.  

For me, loan signings that you can't make permanent area waste of time.  If we had signed Chapman, Armstrong and Payne last year.  Two or three signings this year would ensure a good season.  

As it is, our squad is weaker than the league one squad of last year.  

It needs 3 players of equal quality to those above plus another two or three to improve on that league one squad.

• Like 2