BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its perfectly understandable. He looked out of his depth in League 1, didnt score after November nor threatened too often. He is quite quick yes (youve exaggerated somewhat) but he doesnt best utilise that. 

People are going overboard about him getting a personal trainer too. Someone posted a video of Lenihan with one but because theres no doubting his quality it hasnt been mentioned since. A lot of players will have personal trainers. Hes going to stay but he will have to improve a hell of a lot just to be competent at Championship level and hes done nothing to suggest he will be sadly.

Samuel wasn't out of his depth in league 1. 

The sending off cost him big time and give Graham and Nuttall to get ahead of him

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt score in 6 months! Maybe a slight exaggeration but his lack of ability/work rate was evident on a consistent basis.

The off seasons a strange time, players previously written off are given another chance. Players like Gladwin and Sam Hart are in Austria with the first team, both far from even League 1 standard, yet more than 1 person has suggested that Gladwin could play a part last season, as if theyve forgotten how inept he is. People championing quite a few untested youngsters, ones who didnt break through even in a lower league.

Samuel was a poor utilisation of half a million, yet him showing some video on social media of him doing a bit of fitness work and loads of people are saying he can have a good season this year, regardless of him coming off the back of 1 where he scored 5 in 36 in a really poor league. All players will work on their fitness even when they go away, its not the 90s where the team comes back a couple of stones overweight. I hope he does suddenly improve, he does offer some occasional threat, but the standard needs to go up in general so he has to improve a lot.

Samuel should be part of this squad. 

Gladwin has talent but hasn't never metallised into the player you could be. 

How many of those goals won us parts on games and  how many of the games did he start?

10 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not missing the point.  That 'starting place', without serious investment in 5 or 6 champ quality players, is relegation fodder. 

no relegation fodder at all

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Spoke with a mate who works in the media there, Bauer and Chapman are Mowbrays two main targets at the moment that he knows of. Apparently bids are in for both. 

seems that way 

7 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Better team spirit, definitely.  Better calibre of player than those relegated? ...not convinced yet.  

We have a spine of Raya, Mulgrew, Dack and Graham.  Two of those are in the twighlight of their careers.  

We will make additional signings; whether they will be good enough is the debate.  To bring in at least 5 players of sufficient quality will cost.  The noises suggest we don't have sufficient funds to compete.  Mediocre signings will see us struggle.  

For me, loan signings that you can't make permanent area waste of time.  If we had signed Chapman, Armstrong and Payne last year.  Two or three signings this year would ensure a good season.  

As it is, our squad is weaker than the league one squad of last year.  

It needs 3 players of equal quality to those above plus another two or three to improve on that league one squad.

we have a better manager than last time. better tactical and fitness wise. 

Raya is better than Steele but Coyle never give Raya a chance. 

What noises suggest we done have sufficient funds? Everything coming out at Ewood  is very secretive and not leaking transfer targets. Rothwell signing was unexpected and no daily link for weeks. I was at Pizza Hut at Blackburn when we signed him. Phone was buzzing and tweeting mad

53 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

He joined this website shortly before they bought the club, when I say shortly I’m talking maybe 6 months before.

Funny that. I thought, “that’s funny”.

Nixon joined the site 6 months before they bought the club?Maybe that's when he rejoined the message board as he used to have his own thread on here when Santa Cruz first joined us and that was a lot more than 6 months before Venkys bought us

A quick look and I can see he was posting on here in 2007.

Edited by islander200

45 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Hey big dog I am no expert but if you believe what is written in the sun AND you know a bit about our local rivals YOU could easily work it out for yourself. Let me repeat bwfc have no money and can only sign freebies!

you don’t need sources for that info it’s on every pair of lips of their own fans

He is available on a free. Who is going to sign him on the wages he was on? Has he even played football in the last 3 years? All I have read is Sunderland  fans and managers saying he has a bad attitude. I'll be interested to see where he ends up. Maybe Bolton is his best option 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What noises suggest we done have sufficient funds? Everything coming out at Ewood  is very secretive and not leaking transfer targets. Rothwell signing was unexpected and no daily link for weeks. I was at Pizza Hut at Blackburn when we signed him. Phone was buzzing and tweeting mad

Mowbray has said we are waiting for prices to 'lower'.  The Waggot interview mentioned out of contract players.  Put the 2 together and we clearly don't have a competitive Championship budget.  Yes we will sign players but Mowbray will have to unearth some gems if we are to do anything but battle relegation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The sending off cost him big time and give Graham and Nuttall to get ahead of him

Gladwin has talent but hasn't never metallised into the player you could be. 

How many of those goals won us parts on games and  how many of the games did he start?

seems that way 

The Samuel red card was down to his own idiocy and petulance anyway but he didnt even start that game so thats a misconception that the red card was what cost him. You can dress it up as much as you like, not scoring from December onwards is unacceptable for a striker. He showed nothing to suggest he could be a competent striker at a much higher level. Got a bit of pace but doesnt hold the ball up and cant finish his dinner.

If Gladwin has any talent he hides it bloody well! The guys horrendous. Hope he never kicks a ball in a Rovers shirt again and I dont think he will.

The squad now would really struggle as it is now because it has absolutely no width, pace or excitement now Armstrong, Payne and Chapman bave gone back. We have no wingers. But its a silly argument because obviously we will make signings. Hopefully one of which is buying Armstrong.

Why was your phone buzzing like mad when we signed Rothwell? Haha. Sentences like that will have JAL asking if youre his agent.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The fact we've signed Rothwell in itself is a sign that funds are very limited I'd say. If they weren't we'd be setting our sights considerably higher than an injury prone out of contract player who didn't really even set League 1 alight. It's certainly not a sign to the contrary that funds aren't an issue although I take your point that the Club kept the signing of Rothwell well under wraps so maybe there are one or two other deals imminently in the pipeline we Don't know about.

I have to agree with another poster ( tom phil?) though who speculated that we are probably concentrating on cheaper options who are out of contract and many of them will only become free agents on July 1st which may partially explain the lack of obvious activity to date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Mowbray has said we are waiting for prices to 'lower'.  The Waggot interview mentioned out of contract players.  Put the 2 together and we clearly don't have a competitive Championship budget.  Yes we will sign players but Mowbray will have to unearth some gems if we are to do anything but battle relegation.

Clubs always quote bigger prices early in but are often a bit more accommodating when they realise they might miss out on players they need if they don't get a sale sorted. We almost certainly have very little cash and won't want to pay a price now that might be lower when the real activity starts as the world Cup progresses and the start of the season draws nearer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gladwin has talent but hasn't never metallised into the player you could be

seems that way 

He has metallised - he runs like the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz.??

8 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nixon joined the site 6 months before they bought the club?Maybe that's when he rejoined the message board as he used to have his own thread on here when Santa Cruz first joined us and that was a lot more than 6 months before Venkys bought us

A quick look and I can see he was posting on here in 2007.

Ach, fair play there then fella. Apologies. 

You can see how I got that wrong though, I guess there was more for him to post about when the circus came to town and he turned into a cult.

13 hours ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Mowbray has already said Chapman won't be a starter if he comes.

Bauer before Lenihan? I doubt you've seen enough of Bauer to justify that nonsense. 

Mowbray was talking about Payne not being a starter not Chapman. 

52 minutes ago, Craigman said:

Mowbray was talking about Payne not being a starter not Chapman. 

At the meeting Mowbray said that Chapman would have to accept a role on the bench if he came here and that if Chapman was happy to do that he would love to sign him.  At the moment, Mowbray said that Chapman wouldn't be a starter if he signed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

At this moment in time everything points to Mowbray having been given next to nothing to spend. Unless we are waiting for England to get knocked out of the World Cup so we can make an offer for Harry Kane.

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but that many years before?Alan Nixon being part of some conspiracy with Anderson and SEM is something I'm not buying.

He was reporting on rovers for years and was one of the only reporters who actually covered Rovers in the transfer market.

He even made an appearance on that documentary "The house that Jack built".

I'm not a nickoteen or what ever they used be called on here,and I get that he talks shite and can be very ignorant on social media but Nixon through the walker years got plenty if transfer stories involving Rovers right

People meet people over time. They do deals, they fall out, they make up...

I can tell you with as much certainty as I can muster that in 2011, Nixon and Anderson were totally linked.

I think the relationship continued and I now think Anderson's vast network (not just SEM and Kentaro as were and in whatever guise they have currently morphed into) is no longer favoured at Ewood.

I suspect this could be a reason why Nixon is no longer a reliable sage but the guy is a reporter and has multiple sources. That said, if he suddenly gets a run of 100% accurate scoops on Rovers, it will time to be very very worried.

• Like 2

I noticed Rich Sharpe replied to someone on Twitter saying 'Premier league loans proving difficult at this stage'. I sincerely hope that we aren't putting our faith in the loan market at this stage. Decent loans are extremely thin on the ground at this stage and most don't come available until parent clubs are ready to let them. We need our own signings in for the start of the season, a couple of loans to fill out the squad as and when they come available.

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At this moment in time everything points to Mowbray having been given next to nothing to spend.

That may well be the case. I hope it's not, but the supporters and the club have been habitually jerked around by the infuriating chicken farmers.

Right now, for my own sanity and peace of mind, I'm choosing to trust in what Mowbray has been saying. Maybe that'll turn out to be naive in the long term, but I'm hoping that he'll make good on the positive things he's been saying in the press.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I noticed Rich Sharpe replied to someone on Twitter saying 'Premier league loans proving difficult at this stage'. I sincerely hope that we aren't putting our faith in the loan market at this stage. Decent loans are extremely thin on the ground at this stage and most don't come available until parent clubs are ready to let them. We need our own signings in for the start of the season, a couple of loans to fill out the squad as and when they come available.

Exactly that. Loans shouldn't be the core part of your business, they should be the cherry on top of the icing on the cake to put the finishing touches to a squad after your main business has been done.

Unfortunately, certainly  when Lambert and Coyle were here, short term ism and loan deals comprised the main part of our business and we saw how that ultimately ended.

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Loaning players from Premier League teams is a massive gamble, especially in the case of young players. They can have major attitude problems.  Didn't we loan Harper from West Brom ?  He did next to nothing. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

As far as the budget goes we can only guess based on what has been said by those at, or close to, the club. 

Waggott has said we will be mostly signing freebies. Mowbray is in a quandary as to whether to spend all his transfer budget on one quality striker. Sharpe has said we will have 'a bit more' than last season to spend on transfers. They've all said we need 5 or 6 players. 

Going off that i'd guess at a transfer budget of £2m - £5m with most being freebies/loans and one or two costing a couple of million. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At this moment in time everything points to Mowbray having been given next to nothing to spend. 

Agree. It looks that way. Players he'd had his eyes on would have been snapped up by now. Having said that, the Oxford signing was announced out of the blue so they might have something in the pipeline. It's not difficult to foresee last-minute loan deals for players on the fringes of "bigger" clubs.