BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I'm happy Mowbray so far. Rovers have been careful and not over pay for players like Bauer who Charlton wanted 2 million for a player with 12 months left on contract is outrageous and pleased we didn't pay it. sure they been others but nothing is leaking and im pleased about that. 

Look at Mowbray comments and he said he would be sub at the start of season and work his way into the 1st team or that's the way I read it. 

We don't know how Mowbray will set up or play. He could play Bennett and Rothwell wide with Dack in hole in 4-2-3-1 formation or play 3-4-1-2 formation we don't know. 

I have suggested players that will improve us and before you carry on this assumption why not wait to see who we signed 1st please. 

On Samuel I did answered your points but you didn't answer my questions which were how many starts did he have after his last goal and in any games did he start or play up front and how many chances did he have to score? 

Whiitingham fitness and his ability to get up and down this season would be my question

I think your problem is you believe what people like Alan Nixon say, even though its total shite you believe it and judge based on that. Just judge on what hes done, hes signed Rothwell so far and not sold anyone so little to judge. 

If thats the case, its more understandable, but we would still need 2 new wingers.

The whole debate is hypothetical and getting stupid really. Im sure Mowbray isnt stupid enough to sign a player to play him out of position, and Bennett didnt contribute nearly enough from that position, again at a higher level, and was more effective in central midfield and at right back. If both of them would be above Chapman, an actual winger with pace who did contribute with goal contributions in his rare minutes on the pitch, then there would be something wrong.

He's never played 3-4-1-2 before (he played 3-4-2-1 to be pedantic) so no reason to think that, dont want a debate on it but hope he doesnt play 3 at the back full stop. And Chapman wouldnt feature then anyway.

Starts etc, I dont know, if hes not getting chances then there is a problem of his own making as our other attackers had chances. My point is he hasnt done anything to suggest he will step up and be good enough. He didnt pre-Rovers and his meagre contributions at Rovers, nothing is saying hes definitely capable if he gets a chance. 

I agree on Whittingham, im not saying he will be a success, there are big question marks, but he at least HAS proven that he is more than capable at Championship level in the past. Samuel has no track record.

5 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Obviously Nixon has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but when I asked him about chapman he said he might not come due to the fact that Mowbray wouldn’t see him as first choice. Which implies that either Mowbray thinks Conway is better or that he is after a higher calibre winger than Chapman, and Maddison may fit the bill from that?

Be wary Maddison like Adelukan has questions over his attitude and billy big balls persona.

1 minute ago, RovingRover said:

Have player departures been taken into consideration. End of contracts, end of player loans and cut in wages some players took to Remain at the club in League One, not to mention new contracts?

Nobody knows the budget mate, everyone is just guessing. But if our wage bill was £8.5m last year then it stands to reason it may have gone back up if contractual wage increases on promotion have kicked in. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Sheff Utd have just sold a young winger called Brooks to Bournemouth for £12m. A Blades fan asked on twitter if Maddison was coming to replace him. Posh chairman replied no but that 2 clubs were close to agreeing terms with Maddison. Apparently he has a £2.5m release clause. 

The Peterborough chairman promised him if he re-signed in 2017 (?) then he would allow him to leave if they didn’t get promoted thereby protecting their investment, hence the high fee quoted. Maybe £1M plus addons may swing it later in the window if we could afford it AND we one of the 2 interested. 

2 hours ago, 47er said:

We haven't got months have we? That's why I was cheered when TM said he'd get the his transfer business done early. 

Hasn't worked out and, like others, I worry that its because Venkys won't fund him.

That has to be a possibility. Certainly, a realistic worry. 

It doesn't help a message board, but I would much prefer it, if all this was merely a sign of Rovers working quietly to get their business done before it was leaked in the press.

On the other hand, I would have hoped signings would be made in time for the trip to Austria that I thought was supposed to be about bonding , as well as fitness.

Anyway, we will know soon enough!

11 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Be wary Maddison like Adelukan has questions over his attitude and billy big balls persona.

If true, then I am not keen as team spirit is going to be the key again this season and we don’t want any bad apples. Did I hear rumours that Galdwin was a bit up himself thinking he was better than Dack?

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Which is why I asked because last years WAGE  budget (Mowbray specifically referred to a WAGE budget) was £8m so it follows that the overall budget last season was more than £8m. Something doesn't add up. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/01/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-india-puzzle-venkys

There you go. The WAGE bill last season was £8.5m. Your £8m figure for everything (transfers, wages, renewals etc) is obviously wrong. Maybe you misunderstood what you were told. 

It's the same thing. Wage budget, renewal budget, transfer budget, all out the same pot. When has anyone ever come out and said we have a Xm renewals budget?

11 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

The Peterborough chairman promised him if he re-signed in 2017 (?) then he would allow him to leave if they didn’t get promoted thereby protecting their investment, hence the high fee quoted. Maybe £1M plus addons may swing it later in the window if we could afford it AND we one of the 2 interested. 

Peterborough have new owners and new ambitions so I suspect the only way to get any of their players will be if the player himself is either rubbish or militating or a move. 

Generally speaking, whilst there are the occasional League 1 gem, the reason why there is such a gap from Championship to L1 is because there is such a gap in quality of players.

It is in the ability to get a step up in the quality of loan player from the Premier League where I think our improved status should be made to tell.

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think your problem is you believe what people like Alan Nixon say, even though its total shite you believe it and judge based on that. Just judge on what hes done, hes signed Rothwell so far and not sold anyone so little to judge. 

If thats the case, its more understandable, but we would still need 2 new wingers.

The whole debate is hypothetical and getting stupid really. Im sure Mowbray isnt stupid enough to sign a player to play him out of position, and Bennett didnt contribute nearly enough from that position, again at a higher level, and was more effective in central midfield and at right back. If both of them would be above Chapman, an actual winger with pace who did contribute with goal contributions in his rare minutes on the pitch, then there would be something wrong.

He's never played 3-4-1-2 before (he played 3-4-2-1 to be pedantic) so no reason to think that, dont want a debate on it but hope he doesnt play 3 at the back full stop. And Chapman wouldnt feature then anyway.

Starts etc, I dont know, if hes not getting chances then there is a problem of his own making as our other attackers had chances. My point is he hasnt done anything to suggest he will step up and be good enough. He didnt pre-Rovers and his meagre contributions at Rovers, nothing is saying hes definitely capable if he gets a chance. 

I agree on Whittingham, im not saying he will be a success, there are big question marks, but he at least HAS proven that he is more than capable at Championship level in the past. Samuel has no track record.

the story was back up by both local reporters in the area. 

I felt Bennett contribute enough wide for me and scored against Wigan from wide left. 

We played that formation at Portsmouth and we won the game aswell. Mowbray switch from 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-1-2 formation. 

I was happy with Samuel in the main last season. 

I felt Bennett contribute enough wide for me and scored against Wigan from wide left. 

We played that formation at Portsmouth and we won the game aswell. Mowbray switch from 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-1-2 formation. 

We played that formation for less than half of the Portsmouth game and it was 1-1 at the time we changed. Every time we started three at the back last season we lost.

I do however think Mowbray wants to play that system as his first preference.

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

It's the same thing. Wage budget, renewal budget, transfer budget, all out the same pot. When has anyone ever come out and said we have a Xm renewals budget?

No its not. Its a wage budget. Clubs have a figure they spend on wages. It's listed in the accounts as such. That's why Mowbray was specific about a wage budget last season being £8.5m. It's there in black and white on the article. That's why he also got a separate transfer budget of £1.5m as stated in the article. You clearly didn't understand what you got told. 

So the question remains does the £18m you claim is our budget relate to just wages or everything else as well...because the £8m budget you claim was  last year's budget for everything was actually just for WAGES ONLY (unless of course you know more than Mowbray). Your figures are wrong somewhere so clarification would be good. 

Edited by Ladyboys of Bank Top

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

It is in the ability to get a step up in the quality of loan player from the Premier League where I think our improved status should be made to tell.

We need our own players who are going to be contracted to the club, be assets for the club and be here for 2-3 years try and get us promoted. Once we have enough of those of sufficient quality (which we don't currently have) then we can add in a couple of decent loans if they come up at the back end of the window. Signings first, loans a bonus at the back end. 

The Telegraph keep on referring to us currently 'already having' 25 contracted players as though that number in itself means we either don't need much more or shouldn't get more until we get rid of some. 

I've tried to calculate where this 25 contracted players comes from and the only way it works is if we include the kids. If we factor into the equation that it includes Wharton, Travis, Nuttall and Tomlinson (who between them have made very few 1st team appearances and struggled to feature in League One) who Mowbray has indicated may be allowed out on loan and also factor in that we've got Gladwin, Caddis, Whittingham and Hart in there we can quickly get down to 17 contracted 1st team players who contributed significantly last season.

In short we need more regardless of who goes out the door the other way, the loan market is not the answer to filling the void, but i think the owners like it because they can bring in players without the need to spend or commit to contracts. 

53 minutes ago, philipl said:

Peterborough have new owners and new ambitions so I suspect the only way to get any of their players will be if the player himself is either rubbish or militating or a move. 

Generally speaking, whilst there are the occasional League 1 gem, the reason why there is such a gap from Championship to L1 is because there is such a gap in quality of players.

Peterborough don't have new owners do they?I haven't seen anything on that

Apologies it seems he did sell half of the club.Regardless Marriot and Madison will both be on the move 

Edited by islander200

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

From this, i've taken that you believe everything you read, and that you have far lower standards if you feel that Bennett LAST SEASON, Samuel or Gladwin contributed enough and made you happy.

In Bennetts defence, he has performed better previously.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Peterborough don't have new owners do they?I haven't seen anything on that

Apologies it seems he did sell half of the club.Regardless Marriot and Madison will both be on the move 

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-peterborough-united-have-a-long-list-of-targets-seven-figure-sum-quoted-for-league-two-striker-and-the-latest-on-the-ownership-of-the-club-s-ground-1-8496094

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

We played that formation for less than half of the Portsmouth game and it was 1-1 at the time we changed. Every time we started three at the back last season we lost.

I do however think Mowbray wants to play that system as his first preference.

And won..

We played 3 at the back at home and won 2 nil. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

From this, i've taken that you believe everything you read, and that you have far lower standards if you feel that Bennett LAST SEASON, Samuel or Gladwin contributed enough and made you happy.

In Bennetts defence, he has performed better previously.

Bennett was excellent season whatever position he played. 

Samuel scored 5 goals by end of November and Graham only had 2 goals then but Graham good form started and he never looked back. Samuel never won his place back regular and struggled with form and Confidence. 

Gladwin contributed enough last season. Where did I say this?

And won..

We played 3 at the back at home and won 2 nil. 

Started with three at the back at Southend, home to Doncaster and at Charlton and lost all three. That's 60% of the games we lost. The vast majority of games we won last season were with a back four - fact.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Started with three at the back at Southend, home to Doncaster and at Charlton and lost all three. That's 60% of the games we lost. The vast majority of games we won last season were with a back four - fact.

That was the first 2 games of the season and last away game when nothing matter as we were promoted

That was the first 2 games of the season and last away game when nothing matter as we were promoted

Do they not count because they were the first two games?

Mowbray ditched it because we lost the first two games and the players clearly weren't comfortable playing it. We were shockingly bad in those two and not much better in a dead rubber at Charlton. Had he persisted with it I don't think we would have been promoted.

And if we start next season with the same obsession with trying the 5 at the back we will likely be punished again against much stronger opposition. Ive no doubts Mowbray will try it again and unless we have a different squad i doubt it will work. If we get relegated next season after losing our first 2 can we erase them from the results?

• Like 3