BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Delighted with this. Not sure exactly what I'm basing this on, but I never saw Lenihan as the type to commit to such a long deal, especially after the Sheffield United rumours last year. Maybe having such a good second half of the season after a long term injury has helped him think differently about being here, not sure.

Whisper it, but this is starting to look like quite a promising summer. We're still desparately short of help for Graham and pace out wide/up front, but the rest of the side is looking very decent imo.

If I was a pessimist I'd say well if we do have to sell him at some point at least we'll get a good fee for him now. Mid table championship is where his game is at the moment but there's plenty of time for improvement.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why do some people pick up on the comments but others don't? If someone made a sweeping statement calling posters moaners, it wouldn't bother me, I wouldn't even acknowledge it. It is the same culprits time and time again, every single player we sign is wrong for one reason or another. I did quote them directly yesterday. 

It is indeed life , but as far as i can tell it's ok to call moaners out. Unless the mods are going changing that policy?  :);) 

You can call me what you like. I'm normally upset in direct relationship to the sense the poster usually comes out with. So no problem.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Anyone see on Twitter Markovic from Liverpool linked. Probably crap but we need wingers. 

He cost Liverpool £20 million 4 years ago. Only coming from one Twitter account by the looks of it.
Serbian international. Wages would be huge.
No chance.

5 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Anyone see on Twitter Markovic from Liverpool linked. Probably crap but we need wingers. 

He did go to Hull on loan a couple of years back, but I think they were in the Premiership then. I thought he looked like a very good player at times for Liverpool. Realistically  ,I doubt we could sign him, would be a massive coup. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He did go to Hull on loan a couple of years back, but I think they were in the Premiership then. I thought he looked like a very good player at times for Liverpool. Realistically  ,I doubt we could sign him, would be a massive coup. 

Surely with the line of business our glorious owners are in, a massive coop shouldn't be a problem

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

He cost Liverpool £20 million 4 years ago. Only coming from one Twitter account by the looks of it.
Serbian international. Wages would be huge.
No chance.

I mean I'm sure it would be a loan for a season. Poor lads been shipped out 4 years out of the last 4. On about 35k a week.

Done business with Liverpool twice in the past 12 months. 

Stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

That video was more inspirational than watching Braveheart, 300 and Gladiator combined ?

He was listed in the top 35 "rest of the world" players on Fifa 18 apparently with and 87/100 rating, perhaps (Ince??) should have played him besides at Blyth Spartans away??

Carlos V is up there with Luca Toni in Brfcs legendary status. 

? I will never forget the first time I saw his YouTube montage!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Wonder if Mowbray would look at Moses Odubajo?

Left Hull, quick, established right back. Only problem could be injuries but he would be a good addition, competing with Nyambe.

Been training with Celtic. Think he could be close to joining them

The guy from Liverpool could make sense to them if they want him in the shop window so taking a minimal contribution shouldn't bother them if he gets games.

However it's all down to his attitude we don't want another like the ex Wiganer who came with Graham.

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I was a pessimist I'd say well if we do have to sell him at some point at least we'll get a good fee for him now. Mid table championship is where his game is at the moment but there's plenty of time for improvement.

Think that's right, but to be fair almost all of the footballing world has to have that approach, so I wouldn't say you were being overly pessimistic!

Still really unsure about how to assess the competitiveness of the squad, but I think looking at the 'potential to get a good fee' isn't a bad indicator of how much better shape we're in than this time last year.

When we went down and started thinking about who might have to be sold, I remember thinking how few players we could realistically expect to get cash for. There was Lenihan (and bizarrely as it turned out, Steele) but that aside it seemed like the whole team were the equivilent of toxic investments.

Fast-forward 12 months and we have Raya, Lenihan, Dack, Nyambe, Bell, Davenport, Rothwell, Smallwood & Williams who are all to varying levels of the age/contract status to command a reasonable fee if they were available, with a couple of them with the potential to grow their value substantially. Still looks reasonably likely like we'll be able to add at least one of Chapman & possibly Armstrong to that category too by the end of the summer.

Obviously we hope they all stay at Rovers & excel, but looking at this way shows just how much healthier we are with Tony than the paper-over-the-cracks approach that Coyle took, which really left us in the lurch when we went down.  

So that really should be that for central midfield now?

Davenport will obviously be in direct competition with the likes of Smallwood, Bennett, Evans, Whittingham and Tomlinson. Travis and Lenihan can also play there if required. Really think Tomlinson needs a season on loan somewhere in league 1 where he will feature regularly. Rothwell I feel is being brought in to play as one of the three behind Graham but he can also play in the middle.

So whats the outlay so far? 500k + a couple hundred for Rothwell?

We were told a bit more than last year, so even with an estimate of 3 mill, we would still have a couple mil left plus change. Two wingers and a striker would be my wishlist with that lot.

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Huddersfield and Wolves in for Traore at Boro for around 20 million. I wonder would that impact on us signing Chapman?

I'd guess it wouldn't, maybe delay it slightly as they bring someone in first.

It's up for debate if Chapman is Tony's sort of winger, so he's definitely not going to be Pulis' cup of tea!

If anything, having 20 million burning a hole in their back pocket may make it easier for us when it comes to the finances, but I doubt it'll change anything.