BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We bid for Bauer didn't we? reported by Nixon, Sharpe and the local Charlton reporter. 

We are interested in Chapman and Harrison. Local Bristol reporter said we are interested. Nixon confirm this also. It clear to me that we are after Chapman judging by Mowbray's comments

You do know you can't use 'Nixon reported it' as your justification that Nixon reporting it was accurate, right?

• Like 1

Just because a club says we put a bid in does not neccessarily means we have. I remember the Southend chairman saying we put a bid in for Stan Collymore which Rovers later denied. Which club is telling the truth?

At the time we were a buying club and it was widely believed that the Southend chairman had used this to up the price on his star player.

The reporters could have all recieved the same info from the selling club to try and create interest from other clubs in an attempt to up the price.

Until both clubs have officially confirmed the story then it is just a rumour.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

rumours? the Bauer bid was reported by 3 different sources. so it isn't rumour but Fact unless you are calling all 3 liars? 

When we were linked with Valeri Domovchiyski years ago, I edited his wikipedia page before the media reported the story, to suggest he had run the 100m in under 10 seconds. This was then reported by numerous news outlets as being true.

Was that a fact as it was more than 3 news sources reporting it?

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 3

Just because Lee Bowyer said we bid - does not mean we have.

We could have of course but you cannot just go on the word of a manager that has a CB running down the last 12-months of his contract who obviously wants to get as much money for him as possible.

As someone above posted, it is not uncommon for managers to make claims that certain bids have been made so that they can up the price of players.

So no, it is not a fact Chaddy, it is a rumour at this stage until TM comes out and confirms that he bid 300k for Bauer.

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

When we were linked with Valeri Domovchiyski years ago, I edited his wikipedia page before the media reported the story, to suggest he had run the 100m in under 10 seconds. This was then reported by numerous news outlets as being true.

Was that a fact as it was more than 3 news sources reporting it?

That was amazing! Forgot about that episode. 

Pretty sure it was even described on Sky Sports News as "Blackburn are interested in signing Bulgarian speedster Domovcheski". Top work. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Williams left sided CH, Bell left wing back.

That's what I was thinking and although having those two for the left back spot is good I still don't think they invested in him just to be back up long term.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Just because Lee Bowyer said we bid - does not mean we have.

We could have of course but you cannot just go on the word of a manager that has a CB running down the last 12-months of his contract who obviously wants to get as much money for him as possible.

As someone above posted, it is not uncommon for managers to make claims that certain bids have been made so that they can up the price of players.

So no, it is not a fact Chaddy, it is a rumour at this stage until TM comes out and confirms that he bid 300k for Bauer.

Oh come on now :) Rich Sharpe and Bowyer have both said we are interested in Bauer.  It isn't uncommon for managers to make claims, no, but it would be uncommon for them to specifically name a club if there is no truth in it. In fact usually they wouldn't name the club anyway, so bad form from Bowyer. 

“That is out of my hands, out of my control.

“It is very difficult for Pat, because they (Rovers) came in and put an offer on the table for him.

“He wants to play at a higher level, I get it.

“I said to Pat: ‘I understand, but if the offer is not good enough then the offer is not good enough. If they want you, they should come and offer what you’re worth’.

“He understands – £300k, I can’t replace him for that. The owner is like ‘why would I sell you for that? I think you’re worth a lot more. It’s not going to happen.  Unless they come in with any more Pat then you’re going to be here’.

“I’ve told him: ‘You need to get your head right and get your fitness right, in case you’re still here’.”

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

All clubs have this done to them, as it is just a fact of life after the Bosman ruling. Charlton have a problem, as they now have a player, whose head has been turned and now wants to leave. There is one thing for sure, he will be gone, before the transfer window closes. Hopefully it will be to us and I see a small adjustment in what we have offered, with add ons and he will be our player.

4 hours ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Sharpe once again pricking the bubble of idle speculation with the needle of truth. Titan. 

I think he does a good job for the LET. He's very active on Twitter and seems to find out a lot from the club.

Just now, RovingRover said:

Mo Elsa would be a decent 4th striker signing.
His brother Abo Eisa who plays for Shrewsbury Town looks a talent as well.

Trouble is we aren't at a 4th striker stage. We're in need of a 1st or at least 2nd striker. Samuel and Nuttall can be 3rd of 4th choice.

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Trouble is we aren't at a 4th striker stage. We're in need of a 1st or at least 2nd striker. Samuel and Nuttall can be 3rd of 4th choice.

For me it would be...
1- New striker

2- Danny Graham

3- Mo Eisa?

4- Samuel

Nuttall would go out on loan.

1 minute ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Why would we need 4 strikers when we only play 1 up front? 

Because it is often a good idea not to restrict yourself to one formation throughout the season, with no ability to change things up should the original formation not work?

Edited by RovingRover
Merge messages.
  • Like 3

If we're 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go chucking an extra striker on who offers something different could be a good idea. Lost count of the number of times we've been hanging on to a slender lead and the opposition have thrown a big lad on up front and he's immediately caused problems and grabbed an equaliser or winner.

Danny Graham does a good job but he's not getting any younger and is often dead on his feet after 70 minutes. Samuel and Nuttall not at all sure on. Perhaps we've room for one on the bench but not starting games and not as our only alternative to Graham.

Nothing worse for the opposition than to see multiple threats getting off the bench ready to come on and try and get us back into the game. Very difficult to predict and defend against when you've multiple threats all with different attributes.

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

For me it would be...
1- New striker

2- Danny Graham

3- Mo Eisa?

4- Samuel

Nuttall would go out on loan.

Because it is often a good idea not to restrict yourself to one formation throughout the season, with no ability to change things up should the original formation not work?

Mowbray will stick to whatever formation gets results. It's a bit football manager to think he'll be swapping formations often enough to justify having 4 strikers when the vast majority of last season we played 1 up front. Furthermore who is going to sign on the basis of being 4th choice if they are a y good? 

Just read that Norwich paid 3 million to get Rhodes on loan for the season. What crazy times. 

Would they not have been better off signing their own players? I don't know if they have to pay wages on top of the 3 million fee, I would assume that they do 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read that Norwich paid 3 million to get Rhodes on loan for the season. What crazy times. 

Would they not have been better off signing their own players? I don't know if they have to pay wages on top of the 3 million fee, I would assume that they do 

3 million is the cost of the whole package including his wages.The loan fee wasn't 3 million