BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

16 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Mowbray will stick to whatever formation gets results. It's a bit football manager to think he'll be swapping formations often enough to justify having 4 strikers when the vast majority of last season we played 1 up front. Furthermore who is going to sign on the basis of being 4th choice if they are a y good? 

That's not what I said is it?
What I said is that if the formation Mowbray wants doesn't work. Namely one up front. He might choose to revert to two upfront, which makes having more strikers available important.
Say for instance we start next season, and we don't kick on. We have to revert to two upfront. Danny Graham (God forbid) gets injured. That leaves us with Samuel and Nuttall with Butterfield on the bench.

We can't go into the Championship next season with less and worse quality frontline options than we did last season in League One. Would be utter insanity. Spin it whatever way works for you, bring in players who can play on the wings as well as upfront. But we cannot go into the coming season with Graham, Samuel and Nuttall as our only striking options.

Edited by RovingRover

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read that Norwich paid 3 million to get Rhodes on loan for the season. What crazy times. 

Would they not have been better off signing their own players? I don't know if they have to pay wages on top of the 3 million fee, I would assume that they do 

You sign him for 10 million on a four year contract that amortinises at 2.5 million a year on his transfer fee alone. Wages signing on fee and a small loan fee for a 3million package is blinding business

Just now, Scotland1 said:

You sign him for 10 million on a four year contract that amortinises at 2.5 million a year on his transfer fee alone. Wages signing on fee and a small loan fee for a 3million package is blinding business

He hasn't scored goals or hardly played in the last 2 years wouldn't be calling 3 million for a year blinding buisness just yet 

10 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Blinding business or are Norwich going in blind :) Time will tell. 

Just now, tomphil said:

Norwich obviously taking a calculated gamble, fair play to them although the price of Delia's grub in kiosks will no doubt be going up !

£30 + away tickets all around should cover a chunk of it. We're nice so we don't do that.

• Like 2

Just now, JayDee said:

Absolutely nothing but a quick check on his career stats doesn't shout out quality. 

Played 42 games at Championship level. Experience centre back. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not a thing. Is he any better than Downing or Williams ?  All that says to me is our " War Chest " looks like being a handful of magic beans.

Who has ever mention us having a war chest? 

Mowbray outline his plans and how he would recruit this season. Maybe we saving our money for striker or pacey winger..

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some on here writing players off without seeing them play, as usual. Did they not learn their lesson after Downing and others? 

It's an underwhelming link. He has played the vast majority of his career at League One level.
Hope it is untrue.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Some on here writing players off without seeing them play, as usual. Did they not learn their lesson after Downing and others? 

Seems like we all have a different definition of writing off.

Nothing wrong with making observations about people's careers, it's only the same as getting excited about a striker that's scored loads of goals, to be fair.....

• Like 4

Just now, RovingRover said:

It's an underwhelming link. He has played the vast majority of his career at League One level.
Hope it is untrue.

I'd rather give Scott Wharton a chance. On the surface seems like a signing someone for the sake of filling a squad place.

• Like 3

Not writing him off BDS. Just saying it doesn't shout out quality. Don't really think you can argue that. He's 31 and the Highest level he's played at is championship and each year been a relegation battle. Truth is he is not going to be first choice anyway with Mulgrew Lenihan Downing and possibly Williams as an option with Bell at left back

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray outline his plans and how he would recruit this season. Maybe we saving our money for striker or pacey winger..

Doesn't fit your remit anyway Chaddy. He's 31 so too old according to you

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As previously mentioned, what you are implying is people cannot make any judgements on potential signings unless they are positive, regardless of age, injury records, underwhelming career to date or whatever constructive points people are making. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience isnt automatically a good thing. You can be experienced but too old and past your best (see Conway) or you can be experienced enough to have proven yourself as not good enough (for example, Lowe and Akpan have proven themselves to be not good enough for the Championship)

I dont know if McFadzean falls into either of them categories, he might have been Burtons best player, and even if he did join it would be as back up youd think.

Key word in all of that is maybe. Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked. Im sure they will be. Probably agents putting their players names out to get them a club.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, R1verS1deBlue said:

3 weeks until the start of the season.

Presently we still have the same 3rd division squad as last season minus the loan players. i.e. a worse squad.

The 220 pages have been an absolute pleasure but...   Dear Tony,  where is our new Championship quality squad ?

Did you miss 2 signings?

Just now, R1verS1deBlue said:

I noticed the 2 we signed for the U23s but how about improving the first team ?

The ones who are going directly into the first team because they are better players.

Not forgetting we got relegated the last time we were in this division Mike.

I think in Davenport we may have a gem of a player. True I've never seen him play(are you listening BDS cos you went quiet after my response to your criticism) but city clearly rate him considering the apparent clauses put in to his contract. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You did when you claimed the signing of Rothwell proved we had money.

This transfer window is going from bad to worse. No sign whatsoever of the players we actually need in priority positions and now for some God unknown reason We're apparently chasing a 4th choice centre back when Wharton should be getting his chance and Williams can fill in in that position anyway.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, R1verS1deBlue said:

I noticed the 2 we signed for the U23s but how about improving the first team ?

The ones who are going directly into the first team because they are better players.

Not forgetting we got relegated the last time we were in this division Mike.

Signed for the u23s? Davenport sure as hell isn't, he's a first teamer. Rothwell looks to be a like-for-like for Payne.

Our squad last season was an improvement on the relegated squad, one which Mowbray got more out of anyway and would likely have kept up with one more game.

I don't think we're going down with the current squad, but we need signings to push us into or past midtable.