BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

15 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Alan Mixon @Reluctantnico  Just now

Unusual, 2 cans incoming, Jamacian, 56 easy payments, might only be one, unbelievable

Bit in paper #rovers #venkys

Is there a joke going right over my head there or has Nixon started talking in a language intelligible only to aliens?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't understand this "the squad is so much better than when we went down" argument.

The rump of this squad took us Down. The argument seems to me to be based solely on the assumption that the likes of Raya Smallwood and Dack will be so much better than Steele Lowe and what we had before etc we'll be ok. 

That may well turn out to be true but  it's placing a massive burden on Dack in particular. Up front Conway and Graham are both 2 years older than the last time they took us down and I'd say Samuel and Nuttall are even weaker options than Gallagher and Emnes who both looked decent at various points.

I personally feel that the squad is much better. No journeyman at all. Only people who have proved that they play for the shirt. Above all, Coyle was the defining factor of our relegation. Thank God he'll be someone else's problem.

• Like 2

Don't understand this "the squad is so much better than when we went down" argument.

The rump of this squad took us Down. The argument seems to me to be based solely on the assumption that the likes of Raya Smallwood and Dack will be so much better than Steele Lowe and what we had before etc we'll be ok. 

That may well turn out to be true but  it's placing a massive burden on Dack in particular. Up front Conway and Graham are both 2 years older than the last time they took us down and I'd say Samuel and Nuttall are even weaker options than Gallagher and Emnes who both looked decent at various points.

Coyle took us down. Mowbray did well in the Championship with squad he inherited. Context dear boy. 

• Like 5

Solely based on on the assumption that Raya et al will be better than Steele etc??? You're hilarious. Coyle sent us to League One. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

"Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked" - Yep no problem, players like Harrison (a rumour that has been rubbished) dosent have the calibres to suggest that he would improve us, compared to Armstrong, Chapman and Payne who we have lost from last year. 31 year old relegated centre backs dont scream improvement either. Of course id back them and they may do well, but on the face of it, id hope that Mowbray signs players of a higher standard than the likes of those and I have faith that he will.

As you say, Rothwell and Davenport are in the first team squad. We need a few ready made starters, especially wide to improve the 11. Not back ups.

we need a back up centre back not a first team choice one. People have asked for experience centre back and we been linked with one and people moaned. who are we expecting? 

we are after 4 more players in. expecting these to be 1 centre back, 1/2 wingers, 1 striker 

2 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

Downing is over 5 years younger ...

and?

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That cant be the barometer for everything. He turned into a good squad player. Just as Whittingham was seen as too good for us and look how that turned out. Judge everything on its own merits.

A promoted squad tends to need to improve just to survive and then consolidate and prosper in the division above. First we need to at least match the quality of the squad we had last year. Davenport gives us more depth in central midfield so thats good. Youd probably say Rothwell is a replacement for Payne, on paper thats Oxfords star man for half of last season for someone who was in and out but at least hes ours to develop. So we still need to replace Armstrong, Chapman and Antonsson with at least equal quality. We lack excitement, flair and pace and its up to Mowbray to get that.

why not trust the manager and stop pre judging players we haven't see play much like Downing was. He was written off by some when he signed here. 

Antonsson barley played since January and Chapman barely played more than a third of the season. and Armstrong replace Antonsson in January in the team. So its barely more 1 player tbh. 

I agree we need a winger or 2 but these have to be the right players. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'm all for taking your time when recruiting players but we need to get a move on only 27 days until the window shuts and we still need 5-6 players. At the moment we have a weaker squad than last season.

Mowbray has said he wants 4 more. 2 permanent and 2 loans signings. 

How many championship clubs have signed more than 2 players then?

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

I'l be honest I don't blame the club for not spending 2 million on a league 1 centre back with only 12 months left on his contract.

I don't expect millions to be spent but I do think we will bring in a couple over the million mark.

500k for Davenport isn't cheap to be fair he looks a good un and hopefully will be a bargain. But as it stands he has played a max of 20 senior games so spending 500k on him isn't penny's.

Ive been saying this that the fee Charlton want is unacceptable and a joke tbh

I think we will sign a couple of players permanently for a million each

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Wheres this from? And who are the signing? Or just a feeling?

I've heard it almost agree between Dack and the club

50 minutes ago, Biz said:

Later in transfer window 500k + add ons.

After seeing the posh chairman’s tweets, perhaps my glass half full attitude is telling me that we’ve almost signed Marcus Maddison. Either that or the 4 cans of Red Stripe...! 

I don't think we are after Maddison at all. just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The problem is that all the noise coming from Rovers and those at the Telegraph suggests 5-6 players is actually more like 4 of which 2 will be Premier League youngsters on loan. We all know that such loans only usually become available at the 11th hour once the Premier League boys have their business wrapped up. It means we have to wait and see what happens and we aren't in control. Even then I can't remember many doing that well in the Championship other than those from the top clubs.

That leaves 2 permanent signings. I believe more is needed considering the influence and goals of those who have departed.

Holding back for the loans will save a few bob though.

who says these will be Premier League youngsters? 

it could be Adam Armstrong and Ryan Kent who have experience at this level. or possible Cardiff City Striker Omar Bogle who I would suggest is within our budget so could be permanent signing and someone I wouldn't be against it. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we need a back up centre back not a first team choice one. People have asked for experience centre back and we been linked with one and people moaned. who are we expecting? 

we are after 4 more players in. expecting these to be 1 centre back, 1/2 wingers, 1 striker 

and?

why not trust the manager and stop pre judging players we haven't see play much like Downing was. He was written off by some when he signed here. 

Antonsson barley played since January and Chapman barely played more than a third of the season. and Armstrong replace Antonsson in January in the team. So its barely more 1 player tbh. 

Mowbray wants a goalkeeper doesn't he?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

and?

Experience is not an only requirement. The player needs to be good enough too! Would we have Gordon Greer back? Wes Brown has experience? 

I personally dont think centre back is a priority. We are devoid of excitement and pace and have Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing and worst case scenario Williams and Wharton there.

Can you please stop telling me to trust Mowbray, I never said I dont. And to expect people not to judge new signings. I like the sound of Davenport, I presume you dont like that as its pre judging a player? Being linked with a 31 year old relegated journeyman will cause questions. And stop going on about Downing! I gave you the Whittingham example, some people will exceed expectations, some will fail to meet them, but people naturally judge our potential new signings and can do so without you bleating on that they shouldnt.

Why is Charlton wanting a high fee for a key player unacceptable? If someone wanted Dack and we didnt sell him you wouldnt say what a joke that is or how unacceptable it is.

You had a few weeks of sensible posting leaving interesting debate and now I feel youre just trying to wind people up again.

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Is the poster who said he didn't want to sign 31 year olds now saying 'and?' to a poster pointing out that Downing is 5 years younger than the 31 year old we are currently linked with?

Radio Rental. 

It's why I didn't bother replying ..like I just can't ... I'm flabbergasted

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

it could be Adam Armstrong and Ryan Kent who have experience at this level. or possible Cardiff City Striker Omar Bogle who I would suggest is within our budget so could be permanent signing and someone I wouldn't be against it. 

Bogle is crap. Constantly offside and not Championship quality. Need better.

Need people who can make a difference on loan. Kent would be less ideal than the more ambitious targets of Woodburn and Wilson on loan. Yes they will be harder deals to do but lets have some ambition. Reiss Nelson and Josh Sims are 2 other fast wide men that are highly rated if theyd be available.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just had a quick scan through and I found 15 Championship clubs that have brought in more than 2 players so far this window. Also we are a newly promoted team so we are going to need to add a few more as we will be playing a much higher standard of opposition this season. I still think that we need 2 wingers, centre forward, a centre half and a right back & we only have 26 days now to achieve this in.

• Like 6

Just now, roversfan99 said:

100% agree. Proven to create goals regularly.

I'd definitely take Maddison before Kent. But I have seen Kent a few times and there is a player in there and we may have a better chance of signing him on a perm,Woodburn and Wilson we wouldn't have a chance of signing permanently and Wilson has an awful lot of clubs after him on loan I'd say it would be hard for us to get him

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pretty sure that it has been said elsewhere that we are targeting 4 additions, 2 permanent and 2 loans from Premier League clubs. Armstrong and Kent fall into that category as their parent clubs are in the Premier League. 

If that happens then we've added 6 players of which 2 will be loans, 1 of which hasn't played in the Championship before and 1 had a short spell at Burton last season. Not much there by way of successful Championship experience. Risky. 

Having got rid of 5 from last season if we only add 4 permanent players and a couple of loans most of which are limited experience whilst keeping the likes of Hart, Gladwin and Caddis then I'd have hoped for more from the summer.

Bogle done nothing at Wigan and Cardiff in the Championship.

Just now, islander200 said:

I'd definitely take Maddison before Kent. But I have seen Kent a few times and there is a player in there and we may have a better chance of signing him on a perm,Woodburn and Wilson we wouldn't have a chance of signing permanently and Wilson has an awful lot of clubs after him on loan I'd say it would be hard for us to get him

Agreed on Wilson and Woodburn being more difficult to sign as they are highly thought of but id like us to show a bit of ambition and make a push for both. Some of the clubs linked include the likes of Sheffield United so i dont think they are necessarily unobtainable. Youre right though, no chance of a permanent deal.