BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

Many with short memories, as well as scoring 10+ goals for us, gally won us plenty of penalties I can recall! U won't see that in the stats when u look it up

For me SG started quite well but faded badly as the season went on. Overall he wasn't good enough.

If he'd improved that much since he was here last I'd have thought Birmingham would have been moving heaven and earth to keep him on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel like "completely rebuilding the team" is a bit of an exaggeration; I actually feel that his work in the transfer market has been very hit and miss, in particular his permanent signings. I think that the crux of Mowbrays good work was how he used the squad that was already here, many of whom were under performing for various reasons in the year before, Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Conway, Bennett and Graham, with the only significant improvements to our first team being Dack and Smallwood. Aside from this, hes brought in Samuel, Downing and Bell as squad players and Gladwin and Hart who arent even good enough to do that. Of course he wisely sprinkled in some loans to give us some punch in attack who have since departed.

I just want to take issue really to the sentence "Some fans need to be realistic about the job that Mowbray has to do here." 

We all want to see a squad improved from the one that was a League 1 squad last year, and failed in the Championship the year before. We have lost Armstrong, Chapman, Payne and Antonsson from last season, and we need to at least be going into the season with a squad thats equal to what we had last year. Its a point ive made with chaddy numerous times, its no good settling for players that wont improve us, just to cater for potential budget restraints. If potential signings wouldnt improve us, in peoples opinions, then to be realistic is not a viable argument to come back with. If the signings we do we make are clearly as a result of a restricted budget, then people are likely to be more unhappy towards the owners than the manager anyway, so theres no need to be apologetic on his behalf.

Exactly so. No-one underestimates the job TM has to do except probably Venkys.

• Like 1

I know everyone has opinions, some will look for the biggest negatives possible, and some will believe every word said about having a healthy competitive budget.

I personally dont think theres any money available for significent cash signings, talk of people like Armstrong & Maddison are far fetched to me.

I could see Gallagher on loan, Chapman on a incentive deal and maybe another defender on loan.

I have no doubts that we will start the season weaker than we ended last season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I know everyone has opinions, some will look for the biggest negatives possible, and some will believe every word said about having a healthy competitive budget.

I personally dont think theres any money available for significent cash signings, talk of people like Armstrong & Maddison are far fetched to me.

I could see Gallagher on loan, Chapman on a incentive deal and maybe another defender on loan.

I have no doubts that we will start the season weaker than we ended last season.

Yea, I know what you mean....... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I have no doubt you will be wrong about that 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I certainly sway that way at the moment because we have been here before. 

Would love to be proved wrong in three weeks but we'll see.

Since the only players to leave are either unwanted; Feeney/Ward, or came to us on loan, I find it insane to hear we will “start the season weaker than last”...

That also belies the idea that our younger players are always improving. I’d say Nyambe, Lenihan, Raya, Travis and Nuttall are all better than 12 months ago.

The reality is we might not have the type of investment to be spending a few million or 20k a week on someone, whilst some see that as a lack of intent, I prefer the sensible option.

• Like 2

The lack of firepower is a little alarming but TM knows that and has said as much this weekend. Getting the likes of Armstrong, Chapman and Antonsson in League 1 shows our ambition under this regime. They were happy with the agreed budget...so I’m happy to wait. Still think there’s a few who will be pleasantly surprised and others a bit red faced when all the business is done!! 

In Tony we trust!

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Since the only players to leave are either unwanted; Feeney/Ward, or came to us on loan, I find it insane to hear we will “start the season weaker than last”...

That also belies the idea that our younger players are always improving. I’d say Nyambe, Lenihan, Raya, Travis and Nuttall are all better than 12 months ago.

The reality is we might not have the type of investment to be spending a few million or 20k a week on someone, whilst some see that as a lack of intent, I prefer the sensible option.

Sorry but I struggle to believe anyone would argue that we are anything but weaker than we were in our final game vs Oxford.

We have lost Armstrong, Payne and Antonsson. 20 goals between them, who were integral parts of the squad - settled in and knew the other players well.

The fact they came to us on loan is one of my gripes - I recall raising this as a concern when we were signing them all - an over-reliance on loans which is unsustainable in the long term because when they go they need replacing. That's why I don't want more loans because it is filling a gap until this time next year when the process starts again.

The only two additions are midfielders neither of which have any real track record of scoring or creating goals.

Like him or loathe him Feeney was an experienced attacking option that featured for Cardiff on their way to promotion last season, so he can 'do a job' better than the current alternative of nobody. That will probably change but right here right now he was another option that has gone and not been replaced. If/when he is replaced then we'll see if his replacement is better. I would hope he is. But currently there is nobody to measure him against.

We're playing a dangerous game, more so than rivals who already have squads in place that competed in the Championship last season. We are no better than we were last season, likely worse. Nyambe and Travis aren't going to bang in 10 goals a piece next season. I doubt Travis and Nuttall will be trusted by the manager to start many games.

• Like 4

Mowbray says PL teams are just a day or two back in pre-season.

Nonsense.

For example, Liverpool play their 4th pre-season friendly this week against us.

He most certainly is looking at loans to close a know weakness in our striker section. Good luck on that one.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sorry but I struggle to believe anyone would argue that we are anything but weaker than we were in our final game vs Oxford.

We have lost Armstrong, Payne and Antonsson. 20 goals between them, who were integral parts of the squad - settled in and knew the other players well.

The fact they came to us on loan is one of my gripes - I recall raising this as a concern when we were signing them all - an over-reliance on loans which is unsustainable in the long term because when they go they need replacing. That's why I don't want more loans because it is filling a gap until this time next year when the process starts again.

The only two additions are midfielders neither of which have any real track record of scoring or creating goals.

Like him or loathe him Feeney was an experienced attacking option that featured for Cardiff on their way to promotion last season, so he can 'do a job' better than the current alternative of nobody. That will probably change but right here right now he was another option that has gone and not been replaced. If/when he is replaced then we'll see if his replacement is better. I would hope he is. But currently there is nobody to measure him against.

We're playing a dangerous game, more so than rivals who already have squads in place that competed in the Championship last season. We are no better than we were last season, likely worse. Nyambe and Travis aren't going to bang in 10 goals a piece next season. I doubt Travis and Nuttall will be trusted by the manager to start many games.

You can’t have it both ways. In one hand you want rid of the owners, the other you want them to spend millions. You don’t rate or think we should use the loan market, but you think we are worse than when did have loans.

The Cherry on the tip of that steaming pile of convuloted nonsense, you start suggesting we will miss Feeney, or that he desperately needs replacing for his “championship” experience. That’s the very definition of clutching at straws to make at point.

You know very well, that the youth players I listed aren’t specific to position, but it highlights how you and other ignore that natural development part of the post - all of those players will be somewhat better than last time. 

Ofcourse we need a couple more additions to give competition in key areas, but the windows open for another 3 weeks and your favourite, the loan market is open for another 7. That said, this is still a better TEAM than the one that started the 16/17 season imo, so the hysteria and panic seems a bit OTT if I’m honest, for example, suggesting the “we kept some money for January” line is lie to placate fans, even after the fact we bought a new left back for 500k and spent some on loan fees.

I repeat, what have you done with the real JHR? :) 

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray says PL teams are just a day or two back in pre-season.

Nonsense.

For example, Liverpool play their 4th pre-season friendly this week against us.

He most certainly is looking at loans to close a know weakness in our striker section. Good luck on that one.

As we all know strikers are the most expensive and highest risk signings. Goals cost money. There aren't many players out there who guarantee goals and those who do are highly sought after and can command big wages and fees. If you're short on cash or not prepared to put much cash on the table then you're going to either be picking up scraps or taking big risks.

Strikers are judged on how many goals they score over a season, if they don't score many or any they will be deemed a failure. Even a striker who scores 10 in 40 odd games will likely be judged as average. Tough business.

That's why we hear stories about Cheltenham Town wanting £1 million for a player who is 24 and has had one prolific season in the 4th tier.

That's also why I suspect we're going through the loan market as the club is unwilling or unable to get drawn into an expensive recruitment process to go and buy a high calibre striker who is likely to notch 15-20 goals a season. We either can't or won't pay for one.

So it will be either a loan or free agent. Trouble is both only get done at the back end of the window when clubs become more desperate and the Premier League boys have who they want and are prepared to let a few go out.

Its all very noble and that to refuse to shell out big money whilst other clubs like Norwich cough up £3 million to loan Jordan Rhodes. I'm sure the bean counters and friends will sleep easily at night convincing themselves that we're on the 'right' path whilst others are on the 'wrong' path.

Ultimately though all that matters are results on the pitch. If Norwich or whoever get into the play-offs through Rhodes' goals whilst we get relegated due to a lack of firepower then their approach is the right on and ours is the wrong one. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

You can’t have it both ways. In one hand you want rid of the owners, the other you want them to spend millions. You don’t rate or think we should use the loan market, but you think we are worse than when did have loans.

The Cherry on the tip of that steaming pile of convuloted nonsense, you start suggesting we will miss Feeney, or that he desperately needs replacing for his “championship” experience. That’s the very definition of clutching at straws to make at point.

You know very well, that the youth players I listed aren’t specific to position, but it highlights how you and other ignore that natural development part of the post - all of those players will be somewhat better than last time. 

Ofcourse we need a couple more additions to give competition in key areas, but the windows open for another 3 weeks and your favourite, the loan market is open for another 7. That said, this is still a better TEAM than the one that started the 16/17 season imo, so the hysteria and panic seems a bit OTT if I’m honest, for example, suggesting the “we kept some money for January” line is lie to placate fans, even after the fact we bought a new left back for 500k and spent some on loan fees.

I repeat, what have you done with the real JHR? :) 

Yes I want rid of the owners. That doesn't appear to be likely to happen any time soon. The next best thing to them remaining is that they invest their money into it to try and improve it. If they aren't prepared to do that then what's the point in them?

I said I'd sooner have Feeney than nobody. That's how short on numbers we are. I don't like him or rate him at all but I would sooner have him than nobody.

Like it or not we're approaching the 'clutching at straws' stage.

None of the players you mention have any Championship experience. Nyambe performed well in League One, now we're a division higher. Travis I rate very highly but he wasn't trusted in League One by the manager. Nuttall struggled in League One.

My point was about firepower as I believe that is where our shortfall is. I don't think any of the players you mention can address that. I may be wrong but even if they all play they won't score goals or even create many.

• Backroom

I think things haven’t gone quite to plan if we are looking at loans now; that’s taking the boss at his word.

Early on he said he wanted the business done before the Austria trip which didn’t happen.

Then at the fans evening he said he wanted our own players not loans but may look at loans to supplement us at the end.

hope there’s some smoke and mirrors here otherwise it seems the plans put in place aren’t coming to fruition. 

• Like 6

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yeah, my mistake, need to pay more attention to tattoos.

And skin colour seemingly ?

• Like 5