BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

You can’t have it both ways. In one hand you want rid of the owners, the other you want them to spend millions. You don’t rate or think we should use the loan market, but you think we are worse than when did have loans.

The Cherry on the tip of that steaming pile of convuloted nonsense, you start suggesting we will miss Feeney, or that he desperately needs replacing for his “championship” experience. That’s the very definition of clutching at straws to make at point.

You know very well, that the youth players I listed aren’t specific to position, but it highlights how you and other ignore that natural development part of the post - all of those players will be somewhat better than last time. 

Ofcourse we need a couple more additions to give competition in key areas, but the windows open for another 3 weeks and your favourite, the loan market is open for another 7. That said, this is still a better TEAM than the one that started the 16/17 season imo, so the hysteria and panic seems a bit OTT if I’m honest, for example, suggesting the “we kept some money for January” line is lie to placate fans, even after the fact we bought a new left back for 500k and spent some on loan fees.

I repeat, what have you done with the real JHR? :) 

Things like saying we need to replace Feeney, or that we lied about budgets etc, I do think thats OTT.

However I dont understand why so many fans are insistent on shooting down those who are saying that we are currently weaker than we were last season, people cannot underestimate the importance going forward that the loans had on our season last year.

Im not disregarding that some of our younger players have improved in the last year.

Also being constantly told that we are being negative or unrealistic, its not ire necessarily aimed at the manager, and is it really unrealistic to suggest that not every signing (for example Gallagher) are not in some peoples eyes good enough, or that we need to spend a bit (which we have on Dack in the League below for example) to improve us.

We are basing this all on rumour really too, Mowbray has said before I think that there is money to spend. No ones expecting 5 million buys or whatever so its unfair to keep shooting down people with the unrealistic or negative tag.

• Like 1

Given that we'll be looking for 3-4 attacking players by the end of the window, don' think there's any problem at all with 1-2 of them being loans. So long as they're all of the right calibre, think that's an entirely healthy ratio for a team looking to do well in the Championship.

If we get Gallagher & Armstrong on loan, Chapman on a permanent & ideally another attack minded player in (Middison if the budget stretches), then I'd be happy with that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

More confirmation from Mowbray that we are looking at loans...........

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/july/tony-were-playing-the-waiting-game-right-now/

What have players and teams being out at the World Cup got to do with our summer transfer exploits?

We won't be signing players who were out at the World Cup. Clubs continue to operate parallel to the World Cup buying, selling and loaning out players.

As has been said before. Mowbray said he wanted to sign players on long term contracts and not have to rely on loans. That seems exactly what we are doing now? Ie: Relying on the loan market.

Could it be that Mowbray is working out exactly what he can get on loan before devoting transfer funds to longer term signings? If so this might make sense.

Are we aiming for a higher quality of player or has our working budget been cut?

Looking at the players we had on loan, the players we have released and what we have brought into the club coupled with our struggles to bring in additional numbers. Something really doesn't make sense?

Edited by RovingRover
Typo+add a bit
  • Like 1

I understand the World Cup thing in terms of teams not loaning their players out as they need them whilst their World Cup players are yet to return or be signed.

However, it is difficult not to infer from that latest interview that we are ONLY looking at loans which would be a big worry.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I think the theory is that teams are short on numbers as they have players st the World Cup so use the time to cast an eye over some fringe players and youth players.

Liverpool for example have played a few friendlies and some of the players featured may not have done with a full complement.

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I understand the World Cup thing in terms of teams not loaning their players out as they need them whilst their World Cup players are yet to return or be signed.

However, it is difficult not to infer from that latest interview that we are ONLY looking at loans which would be a big worry.

Agree with this, but I’m also hoping there is a Maddison or similar close which is likely to use up the cash budget rather than there just not being one 

• Like 2

The bit about PL clubs being just back in pre-season is complete BS too. Most have been back 2 weeks already. I know that they will be testing all their squad in pre-season so understand the loan market delays.

Much talk about our budget which is always confusing not having a clue what it is although previously told by TM that it was competitive or something like that.

Underwhelmed so far and getting twitchier by the day.

We need settling as far as possible by kick off and our more 'favourable' August fixtures.

At the end of the day it is Mowbray's neck on the line. He went to India and came back singing the owners praises and talking about being given a good budget, it's his responsibility to make it work. He's earned as much patience and freedom as can be afforded to a manager after last season. He'll get judged on results and if the results don't come he'll be under severe pressure. If he thinks he can get by with a couple of loans that's up to him but he carries the can if it goes wrong.

• Like 5

As it stands, we are well short of the quality required to compete in this league. But TM knows this and there will be signings so no need to panic just yet.

A severe lack of firepower as it stands; Graham is injury prone and Samuel/Nuttal are nowhere near the level required. Two strikers badly needed, ideally Armstrong and a target man. We are also short in the wide areas IMO, we need two pacy wingers. I think we will sign Chapman but we also need one other. Central defence is also a concern, I think Mulgrew may get exposed on the counter at this level with his lack of mobility. Plus, we need an 'in the hole' player to replace Dack if he's off-form/injured. Six players required imo. 

Overall, we need some more pace and mobility in the squad and most certainly some more match winners. I'm confident TM will address those issues before the window, he knows what he's doing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

Liverpool for example have played a few friendlies and some of the players featured may not have done with a full complement.

Correct me if I am wrong. But didn't Liverpool only have four players out at the World Cup. 5 if you include the newly signed Xherdan Shaqiri?

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Since the only players to leave are either unwanted; Feeney/Ward, or came to us on loan, I find it insane to hear we will “start the season weaker than last”...

That also belies the idea that our younger players are always improving. I’d say Nyambe, Lenihan, Raya, Travis and Nuttall are all better than 12 months ago.

The reality is we might not have the type of investment to be spending a few million or 20k a week on someone, whilst some see that as a lack of intent, I prefer the sensible option.

I think you are forgetting that for the most part the quality of opposition will be a lot better than the likes of Rochdale, Fleetwood, Oxford etc.  At the moment our squad is weaker than the one that finished last season, its fact, 20 goals have left the team.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have no doubt you will be wrong about that 

Of course you would say that. Considering on other threads i have seen you call some of the most passionate fans we have "idiots" from however many miles away you are, i'm not really sure your opinion counts.

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Guys don't be surprised if we sign this guy on a loan/permanent. Mowbray has interest in him.

Bassala Sambou.

Good feet and loads of potential so would be really pleased if we could pull that off pernanently, although a loan more likely.

Mowbray gave him his debut at Coventry before he was sold to Everton where his development may have halted a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

That reads to me that we want a young PL player on loan again - no mention of perm signings really. Hope he is just keeping things close to his chest.

Too right. It is getting really worrying now when TM is reduced to talking about maybe getting one Premier League loanee in to bolster our attacking options.

I've just noticed also by chance this morning an online article from the LT dated 28th of June which claimed  we were "edging closer" to further signings, (only Rothwell in at that point) that we had bids in but some Clubs were coming back for ridiculous prices for players, and where TM said we could "probably" do something similar to last summers business when we spent 1.3m in fees.

Surely no-one, neither TM nor the bean counters, were naive enough to think last season's budget for League 1 would be anything like adequate for the Championship?

That said the signs were there right from the start with the retention of Conway (taking the cheap option as opposed to getting someone decent in) and the further acquisition of two young lads for a combined 750k or so between them rather than proven Championship performers coming in.

The article of 28/06 also referred to us being after bringing in six players. Long way short of that at present and I don't know how we thought it would be feasible to do that or at least get the right quality in for something approximating to last season's League 1 budget even allowing for a couple of loans.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Too right. It is getting really worrying now when TM is reduced to talking about maybe getting one Premier League loanee in to bolster our attacking options.

I've just noticed also by chance this morning an online article from the LT dated 28th of June which claimed  we were "edging closer" to further signings, (only Rothwell in at that point) that we had bids in but some Clubs were coming back for ridiculous prices for players, and where TM said we could "probably" do something similar to last summers business when we spent 1.3m in fees.

Surely no-one, neither TM nor the bean counters, were naive enough to think last season's budget for League 1 would be anything like adequate for the Championship?

That said the signs were there right from the start with the retention of Conway (taking the cheap option as opposed to getting someone decent in) and the further acquisition of two young lads for a combined 750k or so between them rather than proven Championship performers coming in.

The article of 28/06 also referred to us being after bringing in six players. Long way short of that at present and I don't know how we thought it would be feasible to do that for something approximating to last season's League 1 budget even allowing for a couple of loans.

Striker is massively important as DG is not getting any younger. He can usually only last 70 minutes as it is and we should really be looking at getting somebody in that would hopefully be able to fight him for the shirt this year and replace him after next season. I can understand a loan alongside a permanent transfer up front but not as the only striker we bring in.

Thats before we even think about wingers or the inverted ones we have been playing with behind DG which we desperately need as well. A new CB would be the next priority after those.

I really hope it is just a slow window and not the Venksters pulling off their usual crap. 

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Guys don't be surprised if we sign this guy on a loan/permanent. Mowbray has interest in him.

Bassala Sambou.

Striker, age 20, no first team experience for anyone in any senior league. Backup at best.

The 'players I've coached' scouting system prevails

• Like 1

No need to panic the transfer war chest is on a very very very very slow boat from Mumbai, only one sail (is cheaper is better) , Last seen 2013 off the coast of Oman ETA 2022

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At the end of the day it is Mowbray's neck on the line. He went to India and came back singing the owners praises and talking about being given a good budget, it's his responsibility to make it work. He's earned as much patience and freedom as can be afforded to a manager after last season. He'll get judged on results and if the results don't come he'll be under severe pressure. If he thinks he can get by with a couple of loans that's up to him but he carries the can if it goes wrong.

All par for the course with these owners  whom Biz wants to stay. They shut the purse, the manager shuts the door on his way out.

Just now, JacknOry said:

I really hope it is just a slow window and not the Venksters pulling off their usual crap. 

Me too. I fear though "The market has gone silly" is the latter day excuse equivalent to John Williams' hairy old chestnut  of "We're keeping our powder dry". Otherwise translated as "We've no money to spend".

If that does turn out to be the case though it's really odd that we'd practically be prepared to spend more for a League 1 campaign than one in the Championship. Mind you we have always said about the owners in the past they usually do the exact opposite to what you would expect.

I would be happy with Gallagher on loan. He played in a poor Birmingham side that scored very few goals due to a lack of service. He still finished the season as their top goalscorer with only 6 goals. 

He knows the club, he knows the manager, I think as a loan signing he would be ideal. Armstrong, Chapman, Maddison and Bauer as well and I think it would be a happy summer. 

• Like 6

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I would be happy with Gallagher on loan. He played in a poor Birmingham side that scored very few goals due to a lack of service. He still finished the season as their top goalscorer with only 6 goals. 

He knows the club, he knows the manager, I think as a loan signing he would be ideal. Armstrong, Chapman, Maddison and Bauer as well and I think it would be a happy summer. 

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

There's no getting away from that in certain areas, we're badly short. Fortunately though, we look fairly well off in others.

Defensively, we're fine. We were fine last time as soon as Coyle was potted. Numbers wise we're okay in the middle of the park too, albeit with an element of players stepping up to a new level. Already better than last time we were in this division, if Davenport can be as good as he seems, potentially miles better.

Issue as everyone has recognised is up top and out wide. No idea if Gallagher has improved since we had him, but he would be useful even if he simply hasn't got worse. Got goals in a team with no service and basically no manager. No reason why he can't get more now that we've got a proper set up.

Don't see anything in Mowbray's comments which look like panic stations just yet, but clearly the next few weeks are massive in terms of what we can hope for this season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R1verS1deBlue said:

Mowbray's priority has been securing new contracts for the third division players who got him out the mire last term, despite his tinkering.

This is his working class background which he goes on about, coming to the fore.

He has mentioned it several times about his desire to reward footballers who are good human beings and work hard, with new contracts for them & their families.

This has so far clearly been his priority. 

OK... but in a couple of weeks we kick off the Championship season with half a 3rd division side who have never played in the division, apart from 3 senior pros who were in the side relegated. The other half being made up of kids ?

Tony spent all last season saying he needed men to do a man's job on the grass, so not sure he is on board with this using the kids idea that some fans have.

If he doesn't sort it out quick then the "2018 stick or twist poll" will be starting even earlier than last season.

Who are these kids that make up the Rovers starting 11??

• Backroom

Our first fixture is 04/08 - 19 days away. Any signing we bring in now will realistically only have about two weeks to bed in and a limited pre-season. By this time last season we'd already signed Whittingham, Dack, Smallwood &, Gladwin. The rest of July saw Samuel & Caddis come in. 

In August we signed Leutwiler, Chapman, Antonsson, Harper, Hart and Downing. 

So far this summer we've only signed Rothwell and Davenport. No players sold as of yet, but realistically we're going to need a stronger squad if we want to compete at the higher end of the table. Imo it's more likely we'll be fighting it out with the likes of Burton, Bolton, Ipswich, Rotherham, etc at the bottom end of the league.