BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 minute ago, DE. said:

So far this summer we've only signed Rothwell and Davenport. No players sold as of yet, but realistically we're going to need a stronger squad if we want to compete at the higher end of the table. Imo it's more likely we'll be fighting it out with the likes of Burton, Bolton, Ipswich, Rotherham, etc at the bottom end of the league.

Who would we realistically want to see go out on loan or permanently depart with replacements:

Loan:
- Jack Doyle
- Matthew Platt
- Scott Wharton
- Stefan Mols
- Joe Rankin-Costello
- Willem Tomlinson
- Joe Nuttall

Long-term departure (would need replacements):

- Paul Caddis
- Sam Hart
- Corry Evans (maybe?)
- Ben Gladwin
- Peter Whittingham
- Dominic Samuel (Mowbray seems to have plans for him)

About right?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DE. said:

Our first fixture is 04/08 - 19 days away. Any signing we bring in now will realistically only have about two weeks to bed in and a limited pre-season. By this time last season we'd already signed Whittingham, Dack, Smallwood &, Gladwin. The rest of July saw Samuel & Caddis come in. 

In August we signed Leutwiler, Chapman, Antonsson, Harper, Hart and Downing. 

So far this summer we've only signed Rothwell and Davenport. No players sold as of yet, but realistically we're going to need a stronger squad if we want to compete at the higher end of the table. Imo it's more likely we'll be fighting it out with the likes of Burton, Bolton, Ipswich, Rotherham, etc at the bottom end of the league.

I Hope we aren't fighting it out with Burton, they are in league one, pal.

I think Mowbray knows and accepts that Hart, Gladwin and Caddis can depart and that explains their supposed 'fitness' issues which have kept them out of contention vs Hibs and Port Vale.

I reckon the club are working hard trying to get rid of those people and this may be part of the reason incomings are slow as getting shut might free up spaces and wages for re-allocation elsewhere. Even if they are 'only' on £10,000 a week combined that cash could go towards a new striker.

I find it very difficult to believe that by pure coincidence they've all suddenly picked up injury issues. Hart is a young lad. Gladwin has supposedly been injured or close to a comeback since Christmas yet never appears.

Caddis looks in appalling shape for a professional athlete. When I saw photos of him in Austria I thought he was a coach running with the players, he looked like he was pushing 50.

Evans will stay but is entering the final 12 months of his contract and I suspect he'll be high on the list of people the club are happy to get rid of as he'll be a top earner. As others have suggested I don't think he's irreplaceable but with our financial model I'd bet my money on an inferior replacement were he to leave.

I really hope Mowbrays honesty and integrity as a person hasn't been used against him by our Scumbag owners. I hope the truth is that he's being patient and there is money left to spend. If not then it's same old. Let's see what happens...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Caddis looks in appalling shape for a professional athlete. When I saw photos of him in Austria I thought he was a coach running with the players, he looked like he was pushing 50.

Yeah the LT wrote that Caddis was not deemed fit enough to feature. And he is supposed to be a professional fotballer?

Just now, Swanson said:

Yeah the LT wrote that Caddis was not deemed fit enough to feature. And he is supposed to be a professional fotballer?

He wouldn't look out of place in a pub league the shape he's in. Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a pub. Get rid asap. Waste of a wage as there's no chance he'll be playing championship football ever again in his career.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Caddis hasn't been fit for purpose since day one. An awful signing, and even more baffling that he was given a two year deal. If he wasn't willing to accept a one year deal I'm sure we could have found a traffic cone willing to accept cheaper terms and which would have done the same job, if not better. 

• Like 2

If they end up paying off the likes of Caddis, Gladwin etc it just goes to prove yet again taking these kind of gambles is totally pointless.

Spend some pissing money and get decent players who can contribute and if not can be moved on. Unfit/injury prone/ageing chuck and chances - pack it in once and for all and stop doing agents a favour.

So contract wise, going off comments here, we have the following players entering the last year of their deals:

Mulgrew, Whittingham, Caddis, Evans, Conway and Graham. Were Galdwin, Hart and Leutwiler only 2 years when signed? That's 9, anyone else?

• Backroom

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Jack Payne has joined Bradford on loan. Think we could have done worse, and may well do.

Good signing for them, would have taken him feel on a full time deal 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Jack Payne has joined Bradford on loan. Think we could have done worse, and may well do.

But it’s a loan? Surely you should be criticising Bradford for making such a short term decision?

If you had your finger on the pulse JHR, you’d know we only signed Payne after Oxford blocked Rothwell in January. On that basis, I think it’s easy to argue we have done better, and I’m sure your agree, since Rothwell is a permenant.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Biz said:

But it’s a loan? Surely you should be criticising Bradford for making such a short term decision?

If you had your finger on the pulse JHR, you’d know we only signed Payne after Oxford blocked Rothwell in January. On that basis, I think it’s easy to argue we have done better, and I’m sure your agree, since Rothwell is a permenant.

I for one am amazed that a Premier League club are willing and able to loan out a player so soon after the World Cup, unheard of

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

I for one am amazed that a Premier League club are willing and able to loan out a player so soon after the World Cup, unheard of

Something has gone amiss with our transfer plans.  All the talk of permanent signings has dissipated and we are back in the loan market.  Mowbray loses huge credibility If we start the season with what we have now.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Biz said:

No i didn't know that. Not sure what relevance that has to do with anything though. I know next to nothing about Rothwell so whether or not he is any good will only be shown over time. I've seen Payne play for us and also know that he played very well for Oxford and also featured in Huddersfield's promotion season so I think he could have been a decent signing for us this summer. Perhaps not top of the list but given the lack of activity thus far one that was worth exploring. It seems Mowbray wasn't interested because he couldn't promise him game time.

If we subsequently sign someone better then fair enough but at present he's another viable option that has passed us by when a deal was there to be done if we had wanted it.

You're well rehearsed on my opinions on loaning players but I don't judge a player's quality on the basis of whether it is a loan or permanent deal. A permanent is usually preferable particularly for a club with a small pool of playing assets. I've explained why countless times. It seems you're enjoying sparring with me these days, its clear we aren't on the same page on a lot of issues at the club.

Edited by JHRover

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Something has gone amiss with our transfer plans.  All the talk of permanent signings has dissipated and we are back in the loan market.  Mowbray loses huge credibility If we start the season with what we have now.

There does seem to have been a shift between his comments on returning from India and pre season getting underway. Optimism of a healthy budget, 6 signings in for Austria to a couple and waiting on loans. Let's hope it's under control and all part of a plan rather than anything sinister.

29 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

only if we start with a losing run.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

We haven't seen Rothwell play yet, plus there appear to be major question marks about his ability to stay fit so it's impossible to say at this stage whether or not he'd be a better siygning than Payne.

Prior to the transfer window I usually agreed with your posts but Your insistence that the squad is well equipped to tackle the Championship and that things are completely on track seems somewhat bizarre.

To date we haven't brought in anyone with Championship experience or higher and are minus Chapman, Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne from the squad that tackled League 1 last season so to me it defies logic to make out that the squad is anything other than weaker than the one we utilised to take on a lower League last season.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

When did Waggott come in? The recruitment seemed spot on last season for the League we were in. Maybe he's been trying to do things on the cheap and got it badly wrong?

However if it was known all along that the budget was something like £1.5m in transfer fees plus a couple of loans then maybe TM should have threatened to resign as it is blatantly obvious that life in the Championship has moved on massively over the last few years with the ripple effect of the parachute money filtering Down.

No one can seriously hope to be competitive in the Championship for £1.5m plus hanging on anxiously until the end of the loan window hoping there might be one or two Premier League Clubs who are willing to loan out a youngster or two. What if there aren't?

• Like 2

....... and STILlL no new contract for Dack despite us being told it's 'close" for weeks.

He would appear to be holding off on signing a new deal for whatever reason whether it's to squeeze a bit more money out of Rovers or to see what interest there is from elsewhere.

This guy on facebook (yes I know) seems to know a lot :

"Spoke to Armstrong at weekend. We do have a bid in, it's £2.5m with a season long loan. He only wants to come to us. His agent is holding out for a higher offer. We have an offer of £650k for Chapman, with lots of add on's.
Gallagher is on £24k a week. Slightly less than the new contract we have offered Dack. Gallagher is a loan with a fee of £2.5m at the end of the season. Both us and Sheff Utd have bid."

Probably bs but..this guy's name is Phillip Gregory, anybody know him?