BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Safe Standing/Rail Seating

I have seen this has gathered a lot of attention just recently, with WBA recently having the idea rejected.

However, a petition out there has got over 100,000 signatures so this has to be bought up and discussed in parliament now.

Looking at current dynamics of the stadium I would have thought the Darwen End lower would be ideal for such a project, make it cheap and get it packed with Rovers fans and start shoving the away teams support upstairs.

If, and I still think this is a huge if, this gets the go ahead would you like to see it installed at Ewood?

I used to love standing in the old Blackburn End concrete bunker. It works in Germany, but the short sighted Minister for Sport, Tracey Crouch, is out of touch with reality, and the fans. You can stand in our current division, but not in the Championship. If WBA get relegated again next season they can install them! Any incentive to create a cheaper area for fans to go, and in particular create a better atmosphere can only be a good thing.

101% 

Fairly agnostic about where it goes, you don't want to be turfing too many out of their seats if you can avoid it. 

As it happens, I think it's a case of when, not if with this, although Tracy Crouch opposing it with West Brom makes me think it may be a few years longer than necessary. 

I would like to see safe standing  introduced. As it is at the moment most clubs with large away followings will stand up during a match anyway so the choice is between unsafe standing and safe standing. When we scored on Tuesday quite a few people close to us ended in a heap as they fell over the seat in front or just tumbling down the access steps.

If it was to be installed at Ewood I would think the Blackburn and Darwen ends lower tiers would be the natural places. Keep the away supporters where they are because most of the time they stand anyway .

Would love a return to standing terraces but in all honesty can you see it happening with today's over zealous health and safety red tape?

Watched in amusement as a orderly line of School kids were marched down Livesey Branch the other day....each one decked out with high vis jackets!

:rolleyes:

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would love a return to standing terraces but in all honesty can you see it happening with today's over zealous health and safety red tape?

Watched in amusement as a orderly line of School kids were marched down Livesey Branch the other day....each one decked out with high vis jackets!

:rolleyes:

Think the Football Supporters Federation have been quite canny with their argument here.

Saying (rightly) that fans are standing anyway, albeit in an environment not designed for it, presents safe standing as solving a safety issue, rather than causing one.

Obviously forthe likes of us we're concerned about atmosphere on match day, but it makes it much harder to present us as hooligans who want a return to the 70s & 80s this way.

It could be done quite easily at Ewood by replacing the Darwen End home area with rail seating or even the back 5-10 rows of the Blackburn End lower. No brainer really but the UK government prefers to have legislation that discriminates on nationality by allowing Scottish football fans to stand and have rail seating but not English.

Darwen End home section would be perfect to trial this at Ewood

Less seats to replace so lower cost
Already open seating so no upsetting fans who have had the same seat for twenty years
Games where they give entire stand to away fans they could charge extra for the safe standing section.

• 1 month later...

Fast forward to about 28 minutes. I'm sorry for sounding horrible, but it seems that some may be trying to squash an argument because of Hillsborough.

Ticketing is a lot easier to regulate as it would be 'one person, one seat/space' rather than 'oh around 1000 can fit in that space, maybe 1200'. And fans can get in by scanning bar codes, so it is harder to flog dodgy tickets or get away with issuing too many to be safe.

21 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Fast forward to about 28 minutes. I'm sorry for sounding horrible, but it seems that some may be trying to squash an argument because of Hillsborough.

Ticketing is a lot easier to regulate as it would be 'one person, one seat/space' rather than 'oh around 1000 can fit in that space, maybe 1200'. And fans can get in by scanning bar codes, so it is harder to flog dodgy tickets or get away with issuing too many to be safe.

I agree to an extent but you you would need to make it reserved because there are likely to have some fans who decide to stand three people in a spot for two because “it’s not doing any harm”.

Fans need to start behaving to show they can be trusted. Even now they frequently don’t sit in their allocated seat - especially at away games: “it doesn’t matter”. And of course they stand when they are required to sit: “we’ll do what we want”.

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree to an extent but you you would need to make it reserved because there are likely to have some fans who decide to stand three people in a spot for two because “it’s not doing any harm”.

Fans need to start behaving to show they can be trusted. Even now they frequently don’t sit in their allocated seat - especially at away games: “it doesn’t matter”. And of course they stand when they are required to sit: “we’ll do what we want”.

pompous and!!! condescending ?

Archived