BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

It's always a balance between keeping your core support happy - ST holders and trying to entice new people to the ground.

My ST is £299 - £13 a game. If you bought a match day ticket for 20 matches out of 23 at an average price of say £23, that is £460 already, so 3 cheap ticket games on top of that is a no brainer as it is still a big saving being a ST holder.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, roversfan2001 said:

Liverpool in April 2015, but thanks to excessive segregation the attendance was only 28,415. 

Imagine the police turning up at Anfield, Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge and informing the host club that they had to reduce their capacity by 10% for segregation. Old Trafford would never get above 70,000 on.

Just now, JHRover said:

Imagine the police turning up at Anfield, Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge and informing the host club that they had to reduce their capacity by 10% for segregation. Old Trafford would never get above 70,000 on.

It's made even worse by the fact that Ewood has been designed in such a way that segregation isn't needed at all at the edges of the stands, nevermind the quarter of the Riverside/JW that were closed off that game. 

1 hour ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

It just shows what cheap ticket prices can do. Be interesting with add ons, beer and pies etc, how a cost vs benefit analysis would stack up.... just a thought! 

Let's see....

Roughly 6k season tickets sold so they are out of the equation for match day ticket sales, but within the matchday revenue for food etc..

Usual attendance approx 12k 

• So 6k x ~£20 ticket = £120,000
  • 12k @ approx £10 per person match day rev (2x pints + pie = ~£11) = £120,000

Total income = £240,000

Bumper crowd at £10 per ticket, assuming 19k attendance  many will bring kids @ £2 per ticket

6k x £10 ticket = £130,000 (usual match day attendees who benefit from cheaper tickets this game)

Additional 7k supporters, 40% of these could be kids....parents bring them for the party!

• 4.2k x £10 ticket = £42000 
  • 2.8k x £10 per ticket = £5600
  • 19k @ approx £8 per person match day rev (2x pints + pie = £11 btw) = £152,000
    • The extra kids may impact on the usual guess of £10 per head match day spend, so gone with £8 per head

Total income = £329,600

So worst worst worst case....break even on the revenue generated by half of the stadium being empty each week!!

An average £20 take on match day ticket sales is way over the top - the average is much less given all the concession prices. Matty's right about ST holder numbers

Also the idea that everyone who comes into the ground buys a pie and 2 pints is laughable - the real figure will be way less than that. I don't think I have bought anything inside the ground all this season. No protest - I just get there just before kick-off and leave straight away and I don't want to buy anything the kiosks are selling.

46 minutes ago, levi said:

It'll be nice to see the groung something like full again but It would've been nice if some of these 'supporters' buying oxford tickets could have got themselves to a few more games this year

Some of us 'supporters' live a fair way away and when you add the cost of accommodation, to tickets, petrol, food for a family of 7 then a few visits a season is all we can afford. 

Doesn't mean I don't support Rovers, and haven't for the last 35 years it just means I have to take lots of things into account. 

Anyway, look forward to seeing you all again for the title party. 

3 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Some of us 'supporters' live a fair way away and when you add the cost of accommodation, to tickets, petrol, food for a family of 7 then a few visits a season is all we can afford. 

Doesn't mean I don't support Rovers, and haven't for the last 35 years it just means I have to take lots of things into account. 

Anyway, look forward to seeing you all again for the title party. 

I now live 100 miles away and have a family so i know how you feel,costs me a fortune coming over 6 or 7 times a season with hotel,food,drink etc so i wasn't aiming it at people in our position to be honest

Most people who will have bought tickets will be local and won't have been near ewood since the liverpool/utd cup games ....i just think more people shoud have been down a few times this year because the gates have been nothing short of pathetic to be honest

1 hour ago, levi said:

It'll be nice to see the groung something like full again but It would've been nice if some of these 'supporters' buying oxford tickets could have got themselves to a few more games this year

Good if they become regulars at Ewood going forward too. Some will I am sure.

WE ARE ON OUR WAY BACK

COYB :rover:

1 hour ago, levi said:

Most people who will have bought tickets will be local and won't have been near ewood since the liverpool/utd cup games ....i just think more people shoud have been down a few times this year because the gates have been nothing short of pathetic to be honest

The club has been charging £25 a game for League One football. I think they maybe could/should have been a couple of thousand higher given our form and league position, maybe 14-15,000 at a push, but I don't think pathetic is the right word. Far better than Wigan, better than Preston and similar to Bolton managed at this level.

Hope we get 20,000+ on and send the club a message that good prices for tickets (Stanley have been at £10 for weeks) and winning can bring people back.

15 hours ago, BenRTID said:

(2x pints + pie = ~£11) = £120,000

I don’t want to spoil your enthusiasm but this figure is very, very wide of the mark. I can’t recall the figures but I remember discussing this with John Williams and at the time it was £2-3 per head at best. 

I’m an ST holder and the only time I spend at a match is if the game is terrible and I need cheering up. The most I spend is £2.90 on the “coffee and chocolate bar” deal. Sometimes we buy a bag of wine gums instead. Our matchday spend is probably £15 per season. 

Why?

Two pints is a driving issue

Pies? I don’t like them

I eat lunch or tea at home. Basically the kiosks sell nothing I’d buy outside of Ewood. Why would I buy it inside?

Taking four kids, which I used to, is unaffordable and a junk food issue.

If everyone in the ground was spending at the rate you suggest the queues would be endless. It’s very unusual to see the majority of ST holders in my area eating or drinking.

We do spend £200 per season on a car park space but I think we are in a minority who do that. Some pay per game.

On a side note the DE car park is getting busier every game. I fully expect to find no spaces left when we arrive for Oxford.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I don’t want to spoil your enthusiasm but this figure is very, very wide of the mark. I can’t recall the figures but I remember discussing this with John Williams and at the time it was £2-3 per head at best. 

I’m an ST holder and the only time I spend at a match is if the game is terrible and I need cheering up. The most I spend is £2.90 on the “coffee and chocolate bar” deal. Sometimes we buy a bag of wine gums instead. Our matchday spend is probably £15 per season. 

Why?

Two pints is a driving issue

Pies? I don’t like them

I eat lunch or tea at home. Basically the kiosks sell nothing I’d buy outside of Ewood. Why would I buy it inside?

Taking four kids, which I used to, is unaffordable and a junk food issue.

If everyone in the ground was spending at the rate you suggest the queues would be endless. It’s very unusual to see the majority of ST holders in my area eating or drinking.

We do spend £200 per season on a car park space but I think we are in a minority who do that. Some pay per game.

On a side note the DE car park is getting busier every game. I fully expect to find no spaces left when we arrive for Oxford.

Absolutely correct. average of £11 per person is far too high an estimate. While I’d guess there are people who do spend £20 plus  a large number spend nothing. In the family stand for example, there are a lot of children, they may want hot dogs , chips etc but if a parent has 2 children with them, there is absolutely no way they are spending £33 on average for the family.

from my own experience - if I’m having a drink in the ground, I may have a pint before the match starts (quickly, as don’t spend a lot of time in ground before kick off) and 1 at half time - if I can be served quick enough that is. I do frequently by food but not often if I have a beer because we have no where to place drinks.

Any how it is rather a mute point as I’m certain this is not a money making excersise and gate receipts alone will already be higher than normal due to volume of traffic as too higher sales on the concourse, good luck! as I have given up queuing many a time.

19 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

Absolutely correct. average of £11 per person is far too high an estimate. While I’d guess there are people who do spend £20 plus  a large number spend nothing. In the family stand for example, there are a lot of children, they may want hot dogs , chips etc but if a parent has 2 children with them, there is absolutely no way they are spending £33 on average for the family.

from my own experience - if I’m having a drink in the ground, I may have a pint before the match starts (quickly, as don’t spend a lot of time in ground before kick off) and 1 at half time - if I can be served quick enough that is. I do frequently by food but not often if I have a beer because we have no where to place drinks.

Any how it is rather a mute point as I’m certain this is not a money making excersise and gate receipts alone will already be higher than normal due to volume of traffic as too higher sales on the concourse, good luck! as I have given up queuing many a time.

I was under the impression that all the catering is put out to tender and as such Rovers would get a set payment and possibly incremental payments based on sales. I was involved in negotiating catering contracts and a pretty standard clause is a penalty for wastage.

Archived