BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

Obviously with Rovers having been in the top 2 divisions for the vast majority of the clubs existence there's a "generational crowd" so to speak. Many other towns don't have that because they never attracted much of a crowd to begin with. It's a shame some people are simplistic and connect club stature to town size. As I've said before the 1970's (more televised football, overall industry decline and simply more disposable income and things to do) If the club had continued it's Lancashire marketing philosophy (conveniently changed to everything being about the town after Jack died and you wonder why I resent his trustees/family so much) that would have been stronger as well at least until Venkys took a sledgehammer to everything. That said it's also a positive that people are still there and if the club did return to the top flight those fans are not all "lost". The way some people talk you would think Rovers would be attracting crowds of 15,000 in the Premier League. There's still generations to build on as well and then there's the fanbase around the country. Of course some are those are people who may have moved out of Blackburn but others are fans who would go back to the 90's, etc. Some of those people are still around. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Obviously with Rovers having been in the top 2 divisions for the vast majority of the clubs existence there's a "generational crowd" so to speak. Many other towns don't have that because they never attracted much of a crowd to begin with. It's a shame some people are simplistic and connect club stature to town size. As I've said before the 1970's (more televised football, overall industry decline and simply more disposable income and things to do) If the club had continued it's Lancashire marketing philosophy (conveniently changed to everything being about the town after Jack died and you wonder why I resent his trustees/family so much) that would have been stronger as well at least until Venkys took a sledgehammer to everything. That said it's also a positive that people are still there and if the club did return to the top flight those fans are not all "lost". The way some people talk you would think Rovers would be attracting crowds of 15,000 in the Premier League. There's still generations to build on as well and then there's the fanbase around the country. Of course some are those are people who may have moved out of Blackburn but others are fans who would go back to the 90's, etc. Some of those people are still around. 

Er, yeah. So it’ll be a good gate then?

1 hour ago, bob fleming said:

Who cares?

Tomorrow really is going to be something. What a good gate!

It will be a great atmosphere and i'm looking forward to the game. 

Been at Roverstore today and the place is buzzing and I cant wait to be at Ewood Park tomorrow 

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

2,800/900 something like that, they filled the DEnd upper minus the first couple of rows.

In Tony Mowbray masks 

Lets hope tomorrow is a better spectacle on the pitch 

Phenomenal effort but also rather bizarre to be able to more than double your usual home support for an end of season league game. I know there's a number of circumstances that have aligned to help create that, promotion in the bag, possible shot at the title, been on sky tv and winning games recently, lots of activity on social media, cheap ticket prices, bank holiday weekend, nice weather and people wanting to celebrate/appreciate what the players and manager have achieved this season.

Would be interesting to see a break-down of these extra attendees and what categories you could possibly put them in. I know there's quite a few overseas Rovers fan and others scattered across the country who wouldn't feasibly be able to buy a season ticket who will be attending this game. But let's say at an estimate we put people in that category at around 4,000, it still leaves a hell of a lot of fans who probably live locally and who could potentially buy season tickets for next season. Hopefully we put in a good performance and entice some former ST holders back as well as encouraging fans who've never had one before to consider it. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’d have flyers attached to every seat tomorrow with a 10% season ticket discount on it 

If they do Tom, can you grab one for me? I’m in Mallorca about to start a week’s cycling!

11 hours ago, AlanK said:

Just did the weekly shop with my 7yr old daughter down here in Gloucestershire.

She sang " we're Blackburn rovers, we're on our way back " the entire time

When we got to the till the fella asks her what she's doing this weekend

"we're going to Ewood " she says proudly 

That's my day set up nicely ??

Kids heh?  They just touch your heart sometimes.

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, only2garners said:

If they do Tom, can you grab one for me? I’m in Mallorca about to start a week’s cycling!

Course I would mate - not likely but if there’s anything worth having I’ll try and grab for you 

Enjoy mate - you’re fitter than I for sure! 

Just noticed that with our first near sell out crowd in ages anticipated the vultures have already moved in and signs have gone up on McDonalds/Aldi Car Park saying there'll be a £70 fine etc etc.

We must now be the only football ground inn the Country with no nearby on street parking, it's all taken up with residents only zones, travellers camps, cones off by the Police etc.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've always said over the years it's like the Council Don't want a local football team.

Well I've been back in South West France for a day and so fed up that I won't be at Ewood tomorrow, I had a trip down to the village tabac this evening to see if we could set something up:

We've managed to sort iRovers out to play in the bar and the Carsac Blues are going to be able to watch the match. The last time we had a similar gathering was against Liverpool in The Cup. Along with quaffing several Leffs, bottles of Chablis or Pechermont, a French version of a well known tune in home parts these days, will be bouncing round our village:

'Mowbray a eu un rêve,

Construire une equipe de football,

Nous n'avions pas d'argent alors nous avons signe des jouers en prêt,

Avec Mulgrew a l'arrière et Dack en attaque,

Nous sommes des Blackburn Rovers et nous sommes sur le chemin du retour!!!!'

Doesn't quite rhyme but who gives a flying one!

I hope all have a brilliant day tomorrow at Ewood, it brings tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat thinking about it. It's great to feel proud of being a Rover once again. Thanks for that Tony Mowbray.

COYB!!! WE ARE The Rovers!!

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just noticed that with our first near sell out crowd in ages anticipated the vultures have already moved in and signs have gone up on McDonalds/Aldi Car Park saying there'll be a £70 fine etc etc.

We must now be the only football ground inn the Country with no nearby on street parking, it's all taken up with residents only zones, travellers camps, cones off by the Police etc.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've always said over the years it's like the Council Don't want a local football team.

There was a good supply of parking on the spare land opposite the Empire theatre and on the triangle. Since leaving the Premier League they've decided to build a road through it, hand over the land to travelers and allowed fly tipping, making those areas unsuitable for people to park on and probably a health and safety risk.

The Council will have parking wardens galore out in force to try and rake in some cash from the extra visitors. Shame they don't put the same effort into tackling illegal and dangerous parking on Audley Range. Shame that the one decent thing this town has going for it and the authorities will try and milk it for everything they can get.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Ewood looks run down these days just like shitty Everton are these shyte foreign owners going to invest in improving the look of Ewood park ?

When we won the full members cup at Wembley in 1987, our home crowd was around 8 to 9000.

There were 30,000 at Wembley. I remember Chris Sulley being impressed and asked, "Why don't they come every week?"

2 hours ago, Tom said:

In Tony Mowbray masks 

Lets hope tomorrow is a better spectacle on the pitch 

I'll be very surprised if they, the team can perform for more than thirty minutes tomorrow.

Holiday time !

4 minutes ago, JAL said:

I'll be very surprised if they, the team can perform for more than thirty minutes tomorrow.

Holiday time !

0-0 written all over it, hey?  I'm hoping for 4-1

7 minutes ago, bazza said:

When we won the full members cup at Wembley in 1987, our home crowd was around 8 to 9000.

There were 30,000 at Wembley. I remember Chris Sulley being impressed and asked, "Why don't they come every week?"

Something everyone asked through that era I think.

9 minutes ago, bazza said:

The general feeling back in the day was we might never ever see Rovers play at Wembley ever again.... thus so many went.

8 minutes ago, JAL said:

Ewood looks run down these days just like shitty Everton are these shyte foreign owners going to invest in improving the look of Ewood park ?

Would be nice if they put some of the gate receipts from tomorrows surprise almost full house towards a good stadium clean on the outside this summer !

Archived