BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

Most people like to see the players kids on the pitch with them after the game. It helps us remember they are real people not some kind of different beings. The thing that most annoys me about pitch invasions, apart from obvious safety issues, is the sense of entitlement. You are not allowed on football pitches unless you are invited on. There are signs everywhere telling you about fines for going on the pitch. Yet most fans seem to think they are entitled to run on pitches provided there are enough of them to make it hard for stewards to stop them. I didn't feel it spoilt the day, but it did make it less enjoyable as we didn't even get the final whistle before they ran on. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

It would be if the FA docked us points because of it. As someone stated earlier it is 2nd time this season we have had the game interupted becaus eof idiots on the pitch. 

Yes 10 points docked and Shrewsbury would be up instead.

2 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

The blame lies once again with Sky and the nation's clubs collective greed in chasing coin before the welfare of supporters. 5.30pm kick offs on a Saturday are an abbhoration. 

However if the worse thing we have to suffer is a pitch invasion under the banner of celebration rather than protestation it's a good day. After all it was only delaying the namby Pamby wet blanket soft lad modern era 'lap of honour' (for once it's not dishounor) where the players drag out all there irrelevant brats onto the pitch, like it's anything to do with them.

One of my fondest memories is kicking a can in the Blackburn end nets with my Grandad in 86 as we awaited the (ultimately disappointing) results to filter through.  Nobody was waving their pink handbags in horror that day.

Though I will add the caveat that back then there were no "entitled millennial snow flakes" just good honest grounded folks ? and one should not invade a pitch until after the final whistle.

Nail on the head for me. Shame about the first pitch invasion as Rovers were on attack! It was always going to happen just a shame some people couldn’t wait until the final whistle. Had a great day anyway, my daughter saw her first game with me and her brother, was great to see so many families at Ewood.

nothing wrong with a pitch invasion to celebrate winning promotion. Problem was this was nothing to do with celebrating and little to do with Blackburn Rovers.

I say this because every part of it demonstrated this:

Going on the pitch before the game is over. Heck we were attacking, we could have scored, and what fan doesn't want to see that happen? Shows they weren't interested in the game.

Plus the club announcements and the potential fines for invading during a match- no reason at all to go on early.

When they got on they seemed more keen to wind up the opposition team, their own fans and mess about on the goal posts then celebrate.

When there were calls to get off the pitch as the game had finished they were slow to do so. Very slow. Best interests of the club and celebrating - nah attention seeking. Put it this way if you realise you've made a genuine mistake - say giving a standing ovation before a play finishes, you'd stop swiftly and let them finish. Appreciate it takes more time to get off a pitch but they weren't hurrying.

Why do another at the end, especially when they've had their moment and warned it could prevent the lap of honour. The 2nd put everyone's celebration at risk. Again doesn't seem to be putting the club first.

The Darwin end was the least full during the lap of honour - many didn't stay.

Not sure how the whole sorry mess can be seen as anything bar self serving attention seeking.

I am sure sensible people see the team as being normal people without needing to see them parading Tarquin in his Rovers kit (2 months before his dad ignores his contract, leaves, and buys him another kit)

Invasions have always happened. It always will happen. To enter a ground where there is a chance of a promotion or relegation and not to expect a pitch invasion either on celebration, relief, or anger is naive. 

There are also speed limits on the roads, people speed. Laws against assault, people fight. Laws against murder, people kill. Just because there's a sign saying do not enter the field of play it doesn't mean it will be followed. People rebel. To err is to be human.

Spontaneity will always be part of the passion of football.

Time to put your handbags away, use your daily mail for the rabbit hutch and enjoy the summer. ☀️

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

What about the potential fine Gav? Or an Oxford player being threatened. Did you not see them trying to damage the Darwen End nets?

Why do you think the club repeated ad nauseam for people to stay off the pitch. To coin a phrase the day was meant to be for the many but was almost about just a few.

An embarrassment to our club.

Sorry arbritro but it was dealt with, and the game finished, and the celebrations started, no harm done and I couldn't careless about any fines that may come out way to be honest.

I also think this label of everyone being pissed, part timers, we don't want them at our club reeks of snobbery. 

It was a great occasion, as was Doncaster, and a few moaning sods on a messageboard wont change that. 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Your kid is in floods of tears because some idiots went on the pitch, really?

Yes he was, he’s 6 and was really excited and said they ruined it, the atmosphere turned at that moment 

Just seemed a totally different pitch invasion to Doncaster - that was relief, with largely committed Rovers fans enjoying a fantastic moment that they thoroughly deserved.

Yesterday, seemed largely pissed up folk, with a loose connection to Rovers, largely from the Darwen End who just saw the invasion as just a bit of banter after a day on the ale.

It’s over, we’ll move on, but it just shows that to muster 26,000 out of our relatively small catchment area is only possible with  plenty of them being quasi-fans. Here’s hoping a few of them enjoyed our hallowed turf that much they buy ST’s!

Just now, Tom said:

Yes he was, he’s 6 and was really excited and said they ruined it, the atmosphere turned at that moment 

Sorry to hear that, we had a 6yr old with us and she wants a season ticket next season, absolutely loved it, thinks it's like that every week!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Just seemed a totally different pitch invasion to Doncaster - that was relief, with largely committed Rovers fans enjoying a fantastic moment that they thoroughly deserved.

Yesterday, seemed largely pissed up folk, with a loose connection to Rovers, largely from the Darwen End who just saw the invasion as just a bit of banter after a day on the ale.

It’s over, we’ll move on, but it just shows that to muster 26,000 out of our relatively small catchment area is only possible with  plenty of them being quasi-fans. Here’s hoping a few of them enjoyed our hallowed turf that much they buy ST’s!

Exactly. But let me save you the wait... they won’t.

It’s no wonder there are so many disagreements on here. The number of folk overnight and this morning defending the indefensible is nearly as ridiculous as the invasion.

• Backroom
Just now, Gav said:

Sorry to hear that, we had a 6yr old with us and she wants a season ticket next season, absolutely loved it, thinks it's like that every week!

He absolutely loved the game, said it was the best he’d been to but said it had been ruined, he’ll forget the end by next season though most likely.

Im still pissed off about the wankpheasants goading fans but we won’t be seeing most of them again anyway.

Up until that point the day was phenomenal - didn’t even seem to be a thought about finishing first of second 

As I said I wouldn’t have minded a spontaneous celebration but we could have been losing 10-0 and the outcome would have been the same, it was just people exercising their right to be dicks   

Just now, Gav said:

I take it you and they were on the pitch, Gav?

Every club that has a promotion has a pitch invasion, cameras out, Facebook live, Instagram, selfies etc. Just how it is.

What I find so disrespectful to the club and to the game is to do it when the match was still going on... and we were on the attack, with 95% of the vast crowd willing us to round off the season with a goal, that’s nowt to do with being spontaneous, or folk being pious, but just selfish.

Just now, Tom said:

Up until that point the day was phenomenal - didn’t even seem to be a thought about finishing first of second 

Don’t know about you but everyone around us knew the moment Wigan had scored.

What makes me chuckle is the mantra peddled is that gates are down because people weren't really Rovers fans let alone protestors.

Then on a grim, soulless night match vs Chesterfield in front of 12,000 the mantra changes to "I wish we could fill ewood again, get more atmosphere"

Then when that happens the same ones bleat and sqweem and sqweem with self indigation about the extras only bring peripheral plastics.

Cake and eat it?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Every club that has a promotion has a pitch invasion, cameras out, Facebook live, Instagram, selfies etc. Just how it is.

What I find so disrespectful to the club and to the game is to do it when the match was still going on... and we were on the attack, with 95% of the vast crowd willing us to round off the season with a goal, that’s nowt to do with being spontaneous, or folk being pious, but just selfish.

Again. exactly. But we had our moment at Doncaster. This was not that.

Just now, Tom said:

He absolutely loved the game, said it was the best he’d been to but said it had been ruined, he’ll forget the end by next season though most likely.

Im still pissed off about the wankpheasants goading fans but we won’t be seeing most of them again anyway.

It would be a lot easier to wankpheasants if they couldn't fly. Evolution, my arse.

• Backroom

As an aside a lad I know by association shared a Facebook photo of his daughter on the pitch saying first time they’d been to Ewood and on the pitch.

Bet the vast majority were similar, we wouldn’t miss a single one of them if they didn’t come back.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

What makes me chuckle is the mantra peddled is that gates are down because people weren't really Rovers fans let alone protestors.

Then on a grim, soulless night match vs Chesterfield in front of 12,000 the mantra changes to "I wish we could fill ewood again, get more atmosphere"

Then when that happens the same ones bleat and sqweem and sqweem with self indigation about the extras only bring peripheral plastics.

Cake and eat it?

There’s a difference between our gates rising a few thousand, which is what we all want and is all we can realistically expect outside the PL, to a one off cheap, promotion party when about 17,000 extra folk come from nowhere to buy a ticket. 

Ewood is a wonderful sight like that, and I’d welcome everyone of them back, but it just isn’t something that will happen again any time soon, plastics or otherwise.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Then when that happens the same ones bleat and sqweem and sqweem about the extra only bring peripheral plastics.

Cake and eat it?

Loads of people in the stands - brilliant.

Loads of people on the pitch? Come on.

Cake and eat it indeed!

My 2 cent.

Live in Ireland and yesterday was only my second live game of the season.

Very entertaining game good atmosphere. Ruined by the pitch invasions which just killed the whole mood in the stadium.

How can Grown adults with more then 2 brain cells think it's a good idea. If it was any of you on this board you really need to grow up and God help you in life. You will need it.

Rant Over

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

I take it you and they were on the pitch, Gav?

I'd have struggled, I was in the Bburn End upper.

But don't let that stop you having another right good moan with the rest of them. 

Just now, Gav said:

I'd have struggled, I was in the Bburn End upper.

But don't let that stop you having another right good moan with the rest of them. 

Just in spirit then.

If you all thought that hundreds of people pouring on to the pitch while the game was still playing and with Rovers in attack was great fun then you need to give your heads a wobble.

Archived