BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, a price rise was to be expected. I don't think many people thought there wouldn't be any increase at all. But £50 is a lot if the price of everything else is going up too and you have to pay that for yourself, your partner and then a couple of kids tickets with their respective increases too. It's not only single people who go to matches and pay for themselves. It's families too. 

44 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Still charging the same for my services as in 2008 sadly!  Unfortunately if you go for a meal in a restaurant/takeaway/ or a few beers in a Pub they most certainly are not so I'm not sure why Rovers should be the exception.

We aren't going to agree but this debate has to be resurrected after the early bird offer has expired to see if Rovers have done the right thing. People will vote with their feet (or backsides).

12 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought at the time that initiative was not quite the magnanimous gesture it was put forward as. We weren’t getting our fair share of televised home games, partially because of acres of empty seats. Filling those seats at whatever the discount would more than pay for itself in increased tv revenue, bigger crowds would spur the team on, generating more tv games.

Now we don’t have the tv factor to anything like the same degree, the cheap as chips rationale falls apart, and we are back to a more usual price elasticity equation: putting the prices up 15% most likely won’t reduce attendances from current levels by 15%, especially given playing a level up. Plus of course the chance to scalp the much bigger away followings we can expect next season.

I seem to remember that one of the reasons for cheaper tickets under JW was that the whole of the DE would be offered to several clubs who could guarantee to fill it paying premium prices. This was offset against the shortfall in our season ticket income to the club.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

An extra £6 is make or break for many people when you're on low wages, zero hours contracts or your family finances are stretched.

We're all affected by government actions - fact of life.  

not IMO Jim. it comes back to sensible financial management. 50 pounds isn't a lot over a year. 

They are plenty of jobs out there paying 17 to 18k per year. 

I have a job that paid a bit more than that but do I like my job or is it the job I wanted after College and doing so well? no it isn't but I just get on with it. 

The government affected me? I couldn't tell you what the current big debate in the commons is and I didn't even know it was the local elections till the night before. I have massive problem with Lancashire County council have propose building a bus lane on the main road in Clayton Le Moors to you reach the hare and hounds pub. I have written to Graham Jones, 2 Councillors expressing my great concerns about this. They agree with me that it is not needed and would solve nothing. But the MP or local councillors never asked for it. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Fliers are a very effective form of advertising. 

are they? maybe for you but not for a lot of people, just a waste of paper and just fills people recycling bags/bins

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Perhaps in certain circumstances, Jim,  but there were certainly plenty of opportunities for people to hear about season tickets and prices yesterday if they wanted to

exactly

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

I'm with you here, Chaddy. Fliers would simply have littered the area around the ground. There were posters up, it was on the screen and announced countless times 9ver the PA system. But then some folks will still claim they don't know, because some can't be bothered to listen 

Exactly Gumboots, if people cant be bothered then its their fault not the fault of Blackburn Rovers. just feel that Jim is having an unnecessary dig again the club like last time

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

not IMO Jim. it comes back to sensible financial management. 50 pounds isn't a lot over a year. 

....but it is alot of money for people who are the bread line, as stated previously. Every penny counts. 

There's a report out today saying the number of parents struggling to feed and clothe their children has gone up 50% since 2010.  

The price increase by Rovers is too big, unjustifable and will prevent many people from going to Ewood. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

are they? maybe for you but not for a lot of people, just a waste of paper and just fills people recycling bags/bins

Maybe you do but many companies find them a very effective form of advertising that bring in alot of business. . Perhaps you're an outlier. 

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

....but it is alot of money for people who are the bread line, as stated previously. Every penny counts. 

There's a report out today saying the number of parents struggling to feed and clothe their children has gone up 50% since 2010.  

The price increase by Rovers is too big, unjustifable and will prevent many people from going to Ewood. 

a pound a week isn't a lot of money. sensible financial management 

The price of school clothes are expensive and something need to help parents buy them. 

Sorry Jim, if you want to be at Ewood Park you will be there regarding of it. always a way around it. but sorry 50 pounds isn't a big increase at all. My Car Insurance went up this year by 12% for no reason but does that mean I should stop driving meaning I would lose my job? no you find a way around it. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Maybe you do but many companies find them a very effective form of advertising that bring in alot of business. . Perhaps you're an outlier. 

And the council wonders why people are filling their recycling bags/bins too fast cos of this needless advertising.. 

Best way to advertising to me is by email or txt but then mostly I just ignore them. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

a pound a week isn't a lot of money. .. 

Best way to advertising to me is by email or txt but then mostly I just ignore them. 

You don't seem to understand how some people struggle to make ends meet, and that they cannot bear any extra costs, especially non-essential spending such as going to football.

Thanks for that - you've just proved social media advertising is a waste of time. Extra proof that old-fashioned paper advertising such as fliers is still worth the effort. 

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Blackburn is a very poor working class town in the North of England, its inhabitants make the most of what they've got. Give them cheap tickets to watch the local football team celebrate promotion, a sunny day and a few beers they'll bloody well enjoy enjoy themselves.

The snobbery on here from some is a bloody disgrace, you support Blackburn Rovers and everything that comes with it, if you don't like it sod off elsewhere.

The vast majority of working class supporters, myself included know what isn't acceptable at a football match.  Indeed suggesting poverty is an excuse for such behaviour is deeply patronising.  I was walking with my wife behind a family group, with the two male adults pissed out of their heads.  They were in charge of two under fives.  They are a disgrace, not me.

If you managed to avoid the season ticket adverts yesterday then you must have been trying to. 

I don't get why people would prefer pay for some away games. If you can't afford a season ticket then why not some home games ?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

You don't seem to understand how some people struggle to make ends meet, and that they cannot bear any extra costs, especially non-essential spending such as going to football.

Thanks for that - you've just proved social media advertising is a waste of time. Extra proof that old-fashioned paper advertising such as fliers is still worth the effort. 

no I didn't prove anything about Social media advertising is a waste of time, any Rovers tweet I received through on my phone via twitter so I knew the minute the ticket prices was announce. 

How did my post prove that fliers are worth the effort when I bin them. waste of paper. I like Email or txt so I can just delete it if I wish. 

Like I said before, plenty of jobs out there if you want a job or not. I always keep my eye out for new job if it was more money for the same hours and work pattern. I wonder how many of these supposedly people struggling to make ends meet smoking and drink a lot which isn't a essential and a lot of money can be saved from that.  

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

@chaddyrovers is unable to empathise with anyone not in his own personal situation.

HE doesnt read fliers so no one will. HIS Grandad can use social media therefore everyone must do. HE plans his financial situation in advance around Rovers so everyone else must do aswell. HE doesnt see a 17% increase as a big impact to him, therefore everyone else can cope too. HE can easily get a well paid job so everyone else can. HE believes that the clubs ticketing policies are beyond reproach therefore anyone who doesnt is out of order. HIS friends can live comfortably and attend Rovers on less than 20k with their own personal financial and lifestyle situations, therefore everyone else must be able to.

Personally of the opinion that people can obtain the information without fliers easily enough even without social media, that said it may have been wise to strike while the iron is hot, although im sure most of the fliers would have ended on the pitch so maybe it was wise.

I think the price increase and the closure of the Darwen end might offset the additional fans brought on by the momentum of results this season, hopefully crowds will increase but it is a gamble.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

@chaddyrovers is unable to empathise with anyone not in his own personal situation.

HE doesnt read fliers so no one will. HIS Grandad can use social media therefore everyone must do. HE plans his financial situation in advance around Rovers so everyone else must do aswell. HE doesnt see a 17% increase as a big impact to him, therefore everyone else can cope too. HE can easily get a well paid job so everyone else can. HE believes that the clubs ticketing policies are beyond reproach therefore anyone who doesnt is out of order. HIS friends can live comfortably and attend Rovers on less than 20k with their own personal financial and lifestyle situations, therefore everyone else must be able to.

Personally of the opinion that people can obtain the information without fliers easily enough even without social media, that said it may have been wise to strike while the iron is hot, although im sure most of the fliers would have ended on the pitch so maybe it was wise.

I think the price increase and the closure of the Darwen end might offset the additional fans brought on by the momentum of results this season, hopefully crowds will increase but it is a gamble.

Fair enough,. I think it needed a multi-pronged approach to try to win back as many of the returnees as possible. There were 25,000 plus Rovers fans in Ewood on Saturday; the club won't get an opportunity like that for a long time. Unfortunately the proposed huge price increase will have taken the shine off the day for many who might have been contemplating coming back on a more regular basis. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Fair enough,. I think it needed a multi-pronged approach to try to win back as many of the returnees as possible. There were 25,000 plus Rovers fans in Ewood on Saturday; the club won't get an opportunity like that for a long time. Unfortunately the proposed huge price increase will have taken the shine off the day for many who might have been contemplating coming back on a more regular basis. 

The thing is, I presume its the same with you as a regular, id naturally seek out the prices and renew automatically, therefore even if they made finding out prices and doing so a bit more difficult in terms of how they advertise it, id still find a way, a point chaddy touched on.

But the supporters who we are talking about are those who dont fall in to that category, and he club needs to ensure that everything is in place for them to want to renew when they obviously didnt last season. So using fliers, or sending out packages to those on the database who have stopped going in the post may be worthwhile exercises to tempt those who are on the fence.

Price is obviously a key aspect as well, I will find a way to pay that extra £50, for some thats what might deter them against an idea they were otherwise warming to after Saturday and the successful season that preceded it.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

firstly I said my dad not my Grandad who I never met as he past away well before I was born due to ill health so I find that comment an insult and very insensitive. I only ever got to see him through pictures

You have already answered your point about fliers so I wont bother. 

No I planned my finances around everything and be sensible and living within my means. not over spending on things don't need as I family. I don't drink anymore or go out for meals as I enjoy cooking at home and having BBQ during the summer. 

There is plenty of jobs out there for people to have. I see plenty out there for people if they want a job. 

I don't find the ticket prices expensive or 50 pounds increase. its less than a pound a week so lets be realistic 

firstly I said my dad not my Grandad who I never met as he past away well before I was born due to ill health so I find that comment an insult and very insensitive. I only ever got to see him through pictures

You have already answered your point about fliers so I wont bother. 

No I planned my finances around everything and be sensible and living within my means. not over spending on things don't need as I family. I don't drink anymore or go out for meals as I enjoy cooking at home and having BBQ during the summer. 

There is plenty of jobs out there for people to have. I see plenty out there for people if they want a job. 

I don't find the ticket prices expensive or 50 pounds increase. its less than a pound a week so lets be realistic 

Please accept my apologies, "Even got my dad who is 70 years old using facebook." was the quote I was referring back to a couple of pages ago, I should have double checked the comment prior, I hold my hands up, my mistake, certainly didnt mean to cause offence.

In regards to the rest of your post, I stand by my comment in regards to a failure to understand that others have different situations, finances, priorities that you have to appreciate and empathise with. You and I will always see our season ticket as a top priority, the fans we are trying to prize back clearly dont but they are just as valuable to the club. Just because you dont go for a drink, or go out for meals, or dont find it expensive, you cant be so flippant about others being the same.

There speaks a person who's never had to use a food bank. 

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

Ticket prices are out stripping inflation.

Chaddy and Rev seem happy with that.

I object.

Sales will tell the tale.

Prepare to object the rest of your life then; the increase in football admission prices historically has been massively ahead of inflation. The first price I can remember paying was 2/6d - 12.5p - child rate admittedly. Since 1970, inflation has increased average prices 15x, football is more like 150x.

48 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

The vast majority of working class supporters, myself included know what isn't acceptable at a football match.  Indeed suggesting poverty is an excuse for such behaviour is deeply patronising.  I was walking with my wife behind a family group, with the two male adults pissed out of their heads.  They were in charge of two under fives.  They are a disgrace, not me.

So it was 2 males, not exactly a pub beer garden then....

We're a working class town with a working class population, yet you seem outraged at 2 drunk males at a football match?

Doesnt add up Paul, you're original post stinks of snobbery to me, but hey ho.

Archived