BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You’ve clearly watched barley any U23 football. Travis is a full back.

Well the last home under 23's game he in centre midfield in 3-5-2 fotmation. 

Ive seen a few other games aswell this season for under 23's and he has played centre midfield every time..

Also where has in played in first team this season? 

Centre midfield every time. Where did he play yesterday?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ive seen a few other games aswell this season for under 23's and he has played centre midfield every time..

Sorry Chaddy but you are now making things up.

Mowbray played him out of position. First time he got sent off and we drew IIRC. Second time we lost.

Stop saying every time when you mean twice.

Just now, Stuart said:

Sorry Chaddy but you are now making things up.

Mowbray played him out of position. First time he got sent off and we drew IIRC. Second time we lost.

Stop saying every time when you mean twice.

5 apps in the league Stuart. Came off the bench against Shrewsbury, Walsall and Oldham at home. 2 away games against Portsmouth and Charlton

Ive around 4 or 5 under 23's games. Where did Travis play in the Villa game at Ewood?

Travis best position is a centre midfield not right back. More qualities suited to centre midfielder. He seems to have loads of time on the ball, good energy levels, can tackle and pass. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think it would be wrong to describe Travis as being used in central midfield all the time.  In many ways he is a genuine utility player and has played right-back, left-back, right midfield, left midfield and central midfield this season.  He has played more on the right of midfield than in the centre - that's usually the position of Hardcastle and Tomlinson.  In the past few weeks he has played more centrally on occasions depending on formations.  The Under-23's have played 4-2-3-1 just as much as the 3-4-2-1 formation - it tends to change depending on the players available.  There is no doubt that Travis is an outstanding prospect whichever position he plays in.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

5 apps in the league Stuart. Came off the bench against Shrewsbury, Walsall and Oldham at home. 2 away games against Portsmouth and Charlton

Ive around 4 or 5 under 23's games. Where did Travis play in the Villa game at Ewood?

Travis best position is a centre midfield not right back. More qualities suited to centre midfielder. He seems to have loads of time on the ball, good energy levels, can tackle and pass. 

You are only saying that because that’s where Mowbray has put him. Simply because he can’t play Nyambe anywhere else. If Mowbray played him at rb you’d be arguing that he is a rb.

Why do you keep mentioning the tiny minority of games at Ewood? If you had seen him down at Leyland you’d know that he is our regular right back in a side that just won the league.

Nothing against Nyambe but he was a real weak link last time in the Champ, yes a year older and more experienced now but still i'd prefer a good right back if we could get one from somewhere and Ryan continue learning his trade as back up.

Got so tired of teams targeting that area game in game out last time in the Champ along with walking through, bullying our midfield.

Just now, tomphil said:

Nothing against Nyambe but he was a real weak link last time in the Champ, yes a year older and more experienced now but still i'd prefer a good right back if we could get one from somewhere and Ryan continue learning his trade as back up.

Got so tired of teams targeting that area game in game out last time in the Champ along with walking through, bullying our midfield.

I don't think this current injury will have made him a better player. He relies on his pace, if he loses that he'll struggle to get his place back.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think this current injury will have made him a better player. He relies on his pace, if he loses that he'll struggle to get his place back.

Yep he has the pace and physique for the Championship but his timing and positional sense are usually all over the shop, obviously pace can pull you out of that as well sometimes.

Can only learn that stuff by playing but the in injury has cost him valuable experience in a league were he would've been learning without getting punished too often. I'd go as far as to say i'd loan him out when he's fit but it's likely to be all hands to the pump this season if there isn't much cash.

I've craved them signing a decent right back for years though.

Just now, rigger said:

Man city FA cup 1968/69 ? My first game.

I'm not sure that was a sell out. It was all ticket. I bitterly remember queuing up all night outside the ground with a pal to get tickets when the ticket office opened up a 12.00. Sunday. We nearly froze to death. We were convinced demand would be massive. Come 12.00 the queue wasn't all that long and another pal got the first bus over, walked up about 12-15 and got his tickets !

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure that was a sell out. It was all ticket. I bitterly remember queuing up all night outside the ground with a pal to get tickets when the ticket office opened up a 12.00. We nearly froze to death. We were convinced demand would be massive. Come 12.00 the queue wasn't all that long and another pal got the first bus over, walked up about 12-15 and got his tickets !

I remember Ewood was packed.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

You are only saying that because that’s where Mowbray has put him. Simply because he can’t play Nyambe anywhere else. If Mowbray played him at rb you’d be arguing that he is a rb.

Why do you keep mentioning the tiny minority of games at Ewood? If you had seen him down at Leyland you’d know that he is our regular right back in a side that just won the league.

The first teams games where he has played in you mean or the under 23's games? 

The last part suggest you read @Parsonblue post that tell you where he has played. Also if games are on Monday night I mainly cant attend due to work as I work a 12 hour night shift

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The first teams games where he has played in you mean or the under 23's games? 

The last part suggest you read @Parsonblue post that tell you where he has played. Also if games are on Monday night I mainly cant attend due to work as I work a 12 hour night shift

I’ll use my eyes thanks very much, I don’t need to get my opinion from Parson. I’ve watched Travis et al regularly this season so I know where they play. I also know where he contributes best. As soon as Nyambe was injured Lewis should have been promoted. It’s that simple.

Fortunately, Mowbray “got away” with overlooking him, and instead sacrificing Bennett and playing him out of position while we limped over the line. If Nyambe had been injured sooner we could have had to make “enforcer changes” before the job was done. Imagine if we had needed three points yesterday. Would he have pushed his players further or would these missing players still have been dropped for their own safety.

Does anyone yet know what was wrong with Bennett, Raya, or even Graham who had to be rested?

Just now, Stuart said:

I’ll use my eyes thanks very much, I don’t need to get my opinion from Parson. I’ve watched Travis et al regularly this season so I know where they play. I also know where he contributes best. As soon as Nyambe was injured Lewis should have been promoted. It’s that simple.

Fortunately, Mowbray “got away” with overlooking him, and instead sacrificing Bennett and playing him out of position while we limped over the line. If Nyambe had been injured sooner we could have had to make “enforcer changes” before the job was done. Imagine if we had needed three points yesterday. Would he have pushed his players further or would these missing players still have been dropped for their own safety.

Does anyone yet know what was wrong with Bennett, Raya, or even Graham who had to be rested?

I don't need to be told where his best position either Stuart as Travis will be hard working midfielder who can get box to box, tackle, pass and good positional. Could be Smallwood and Travis next season in centre midfield

• Moderation Lead
16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Though I suspect this may well be a rhetorical question: 

Re what was wrong with those players, Mowbray explained this in the LT. I. Can’t remember what the reasons were on a case by case basis, but there has been an explanation of sorts.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Though I suspect this may well be a rhetorical question: 

Re what was wrong with those players, Mowbray explained this in the LT. I. Can’t remember what the reasons were on a case by case basis, but there has been an explanation of sorts.

He didn’t explain. That’s why I’m asking. He just said they weren’t available.

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Travis get that 3 match ban around the time Nyambe was injured ?

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Bennett has a knee injury, Raya a groin injury and I suspect Graham was rested after a hectic schedule.

Archived