BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Burnley pub renamed after Sean Dyche

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/30/jose-mourinho-saint-bob-lord-burnley-provocation

Always a classy club.?

One of the comments under the article:-

"He wasn't the only one - Harry Catterick hated the BBC and his young Everton team being subject to scrutiny. He more or less banned them from interviewing players and was reluctant to have MOTD cameras at Goodison. '

"He did not want rival managers to be given an armchair view of how Everton played".

Some argue that this antagonism towards the BBC in particular led to the paucity of footage that exists of the great Everton sides of the 1960s and the BBC was not quick to forgive.

In fact, you could argue Catterick hated all media intrusion (including print journalism) and did his best to rile the media at every opportunity. E.G. He'd name his team in alphabetical order instead of in numerical in order to puzzle rival managers into wondering who exactly would be playing where.

One final point, the World just wasn't as 'touchy feely' as it is now. An example from my own youth was the first dead body I ever saw of a bloke badly mangled by a stranding machine. The elderly ambulance driver asked me to help him find one of the victim' s feet (which had been trapped and ripped off). When I tearfully declined and then dry heaved myself into a collapsed heap, he said to me something like this:

'Son, get yourself together, you're not helping him, he's beyond it and you're not helping me - get some sawdust to soak up the blood - when you've shovelled what's left of the crew of a brewed up Sherman into a bucket - shit like this doesn't bother you any more" He explained

Different times indeed. I'm glad I missed them"

Edited by blueboy3333

1 hour ago, jodrell said:

i have a feeling they will struggle this season . As it looks like they will struggle to score many goals.

I think there's a fine line the way they play They'll rarely get destroyed by the opposition as they will always be solid and hard to break down, but they will also be limited in terms of putting the ball away and creating chances.

Last season it worked well for them because so many times they managed to pick points up from games they didn't offer much in, but all it takes is for those tight margins to shift slightly and rather than ending up on the right side of narrow scorelines they could easily end up on the wrong side. 

A few injuries or loss of form for a few important players and they could easily swing from winning a load by the odd goal to losing them, especially when they create so little.

• Like 1

They didn't win a game within 90 minutes and had 6 attempts at it against 3 clubs all participating in 'minor' leagues compared to the hysteria around the Premier League. 

0 shots on target in Istanbul. 1 shot on target in Athens (a penalty). 

• Like 1

Interesting reading some of the comments in LT for once, because no John Claret or Walks like a Duck in sight! Gone to ground! This was a few days ago mind.

By contrast, lots of Rovers fans on Burnley stories getting their own back!

Its all very childish I know but there is a general feeling that the "gap is closing" and that we are on our way back.

Serious question.

Would you pick Rovers' front 4 or Burnley's?

That is why they are going down.

Joe butter fingers in goal will make the odd goal conceding error which disheartens the previously tight unit in front of him and has already been explained, tight results from last season will get reversed.

Last season was more about belief than substance and a phenomenal achievement by the pub name. However, this summer lack of strengthening is looking like a disaster.

Just now, Neal said:

Like us with Mowbray, a lot seems to rest on Dyche, if he goes then it would be interesting to see how they cope. 

This may be controversial but I hope he stays - he’s had his time now for all the reasons put forward by other posters and the only way they can survive is to change!

19 minutes ago, Neal said:

Like us with Mowbray, a lot seems to rest on Dyche, if he goes then it would be interesting to see how they cope. 

He seems to be a one trick pony when it comes to ways of playing. It's been a very successful way for them until recently. Wether he can make the step up now and come up with a new way of playing remains to be seen. 

At top level recruiting from a pool of English players that are unlikely to improve a great deal will only take you so far.  Dawson and Rodriguez who were recent targets for them are steady players but not likely to massively improve the squad.

Previously he's been smart in buying a couple of players each season that are a definite improvement on the existing squad. He's now at the point were the top English players that would really improve the side are beyond their financial reach and he appears not to like/trust foreign players.

• Like 1

Do they particularly care about relegation? If they come down, they’ll pocket the dough, ensure they have a top side for the Championship, rinse and repeat.

Not an exact science, obviously, but I can’t imagine them coming down in the disarray some clubs do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Do they particularly care about relegation? If they come down, they’ll pocket the dough, ensure they have a top side for the Championship, rinse and repeat.

Not an exact science, obviously, but I can’t imagine them coming down in the disarray some clubs do.

We can live in hope though. Nothing is forever in football,  as it is in life. There are several other teams currently below us in this league that thought they could follow that course of action.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 29/08/2018 at 19:51, OnePhilT said:

Think this match against United is going to be huge for Burnlah. Big teams seem to hate going t'Toff, so the result could be a good indication of the sort of season they'll have; win or draw, and Dyche might just have his team set right for the season; lose, and I think it's a full-on battle against relegation.

Would be interested to get views from @sympatheticclaret and @longsiders1882 - I may be well wide of the mark!

So far we've looked poor defensively which is the biggest worry. Played very well last night but whether we can take that into the league, we shall see. Sundays game is a tricky one because United are a wounded bear right now. If the players want Jose out (as some are suggesting) then we might just sneak something but if they give a reaction could be a pasting - I think a better indicator will be the 4 games after Sunday which are all games where you would target points when the fixture list comes out (Wolves A, Bournemouth H, Cardiff A and Huddersfield H) you'd want 6 minimum and ideally 7 from that. But most seasons are likely to be relegation battles for us until we actually go down so it's no surprise to me we are where we are.

On the posts above about some of the "Dyche" out type idiots. I can only assume they've jumped on the PL bandwagon because no one who enjoyed the 4th division days etc would come out with such nonesense. As for he's lost it, has he hell and for me if we are rock bottom all season I wouldn't dream of getting rid - if we went down and did a Sunderland, only then for me should we look to change.

Oh and we did strengthen, spent about 30 million, thats still a lot of money for us, and we still have Brady and Defour to come back. 

• Like 1

£30 million doesn’t get you much these days - two players from the Championship and I presume a reserve goalkeeper when the other keepers are fit.

I’d say you stood still this summer - as we well know that ensures you fall down the table fairly rapidly in the Premier League.

12 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

On the posts above about some of the "Dyche" out type idiots. I can only assume they've jumped on the PL bandwagon because no one who enjoyed the 4th division days etc would come out with such nonesense. As for he's lost it, has he hell and for me if we are rock bottom all season I wouldn't dream of getting rid - if we went down and did a Sunderland, only then for me should we look to change.

Most managers have a limited period of effectiveness at a club. I can only think of a handful in the near 50 years I've been watching the game who bucked that trend, and Sean Dyche is not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those 'greats'. So it isn't really a matter of him having 'lost it' its more a case of he has taken it as far as he can.

I look forward to us competing against each other again next season Longers. 

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Serious question.

Joe butter fingers in goal will make the odd goal conceding error which disheartens the previously tight unit in front of him and has already been explained, tight results from last season will get reversed.

Last season was more about belief than substance and a phenomenal achievement by the pub name. However, this summer lack of strengthening is looking like a disaster.

Nutshell 

15 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Longsiders...who is pocketing all the Sky money down Turf Moor way?

Btw,sincere commiserations on your short lived European jaunt.:D

The players and agents at a guess.

I enjoyed our European jaunt - would have been nice to get to the group but cest la vie. Back to the day jobs now.

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Serious question.

Burnleys.

Dack might get into their team but Ashley Barnes is a very clever player, Vokes started over Wood which for me was the wrong decision but the latter would walk into our team.

Brady when fit and Gudmundsson are wide men with excellent deliveries that again would get into our team with comfort.

That said, as touched on, their issue this season has being defensive fragilities not seen last season.

Dyche does ultimately get more out of them than the sum of their parts. I did criticise him for not taking the Europa League seriously and I stand by that, as Chris Sutton said last night, when will they get that chance again. Saying all that they do have some decent attacking players, albeit nothing special, they are certainly a step up from our squad sadly at the moment.

• Like 2