BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darwen End Closure / New Singing Section

I'm sure if the police had their way they'd have them all kick off at twelve and yes it's probably an easier day for everyone - except the fans - just typical football really run by suits FOR suits and paid for by fans & media mostly.

Didn't someone say the stadium manager is ex five 0 ?  If he's comfy with his old colleagues and the club leave it to them to decide it's a cosy number all around. Hopefully Waggot as a proper CEO puts his foot down and says sorry but every penny counts we needs as many through the turnstiles as possible so unless the cameras are here or there is significant grounds I,e like a Burnley game then no we won't move the kick off voluntarily.

Why does no else do it but we do ? It's wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I'm sure if the police had their way they'd have them all kick off at twelve and yes it's probably an easier day for everyone - except the fans - just typical football really run by suits FOR suits and paid for by fans & media mostly.

Didn't someone say the stadium manager is ex five 0 ?  If he's comfy with his old colleagues and the club leave it to them to decide it's a cosy number all around. Hopefully Waggot as a proper CEO puts his foot down and says sorry but every penny counts we needs as many through the turnstiles as possible so unless the cameras are here or there is significant grounds I,e like a Burnley game then no we won't move the kick off voluntarily.

Why does no else do it but we do ? It's wrong.

As far as I'm aware there's no precedent for doing it. Unless I've missed it no riots or unrest which have occurred at 3pm. I think some Leeds fans made a mess in Wetherspoons the other year but I'm not sure why a couple of hundred idiots in town should impact upon 20,000 others.

I'm firmly of the belief that Rovers have become a soft touch over the last few years as the downgrade has been in full swing.

Especially ludicrous when only a few weeks ago both Rovers and Burnley played home league games on a Thursday night with a combined 35,000 crowd watching.

Hopefully Waggott 'gets it' and intervenes in such things.

• Like 2

When it kicks off early Leeds bring about 3k or so but at 3pm they'll bring 5 or 6k so it's being altered just to accommodate that lot when simply restricting them to 3.5 thousand and leaving it at 3pm so you get as many home fans in as possible is the way to do it.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Personally don’t think it’s a bad idea.

There are still 20,000 home seats available - which is plenty. Just means the crowd will be less scattered.

We’ve talked about it for years, looks like Waggot is JFDI-ing things.

I wonder how many seats are 'available'

Very few people want to go in the JW Upper (but has the largest proportion of vacant seats).

Only the Riverside, BBE lower and the W01 W02 of the JW lower have availability.

No one really wants to go into W01 as it's got poor viewing angles

Hadn't been in the Darwen end for donkeys years before Saturdays game (Legia Warsaw match I think). What was very noticeable was the poor state of the yellow paint on the edge of the steps. Just an observation.

5 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Hadn't been in the Darwen end for donkeys years before Saturdays game (Legia Warsaw match I think). What was very noticeable was the poor state of the yellow paint on the edge of the steps. Just an observation.

That' good to know...

The lack of maintenance on the ground has been a feature for many years not just during Venky's period of ownership. John Williams used to freely admit at the Fans Forum that there were jobs needed doing on the ground but that these were being overlooked because there were more pressing priorities, I.e. putting a competitive Premier League side out on the pitch.

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Would the Darwen End side of the Riverside not be the best area?

No JW has proved popular in the past when Darwen End has been relocated.

Closer to the pitch than Riverside
Much Better Stand and facilities than the Riverside
Smaller blocks of seats so easier to compact and generate atmosphere
Better View than the Riverside (no pillars)
Less seats already taken than the Riverside
Facing the TV cameras for banners etc
Most away fans will probably be placed in the part they have been previously. Not that many will merit the full lower tier being opened up I'd guess.

Do you know the club will put the away fans in the 'traditional' away half of the Darwen End?

Knowing that those that like a bit of banter will be close to them in the DE side of the Jack Walker, they may put them in the other half...

I think it will just be a case of waiting to see where people are going.

At the moment, i'm undecided as I go with my 2 grown-up sons... one likes the atmosphere)/singing/standing whereas the other wants to go back to the BBE

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Do you know the club will put the away fans in the 'traditional' away half of the Darwen End?

Knowing that those that like a bit of banter will be close to them in the DE side of the Jack Walker, they may put them in the other half...

The club obviously think all the Darwen End will be needed most weeks or why even bother closing another home section of the stadium?

In reality who's going to bring more than one half of the lower tier (2,500), nevermind even needing the upper tier.

I'd say Preston, Leeds, Villa/Boro (if still there), Bolton, Sheffield clubs (though not a definite with those two), Stoke, West brom, that's about it. 

And I'd say only Leeds would deifintely bring 5,500 (half of lower and upper). Novelty could have worn off for Preston. So the excuse that the move has been done so not to inconvienence Darwen End ST holders is a load of nonsense really. Should have just been truthful and say it is a cost cutting exercise and to place home support into fewer stands, so less scattered.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, pk1875 said:

The club obviously think all the Darwen End will be needed most weeks or why even bother closing another home section of the stadium?

Agree with Matty, it's about not having to cater for 300 people in a part of a stand that holds 2500, it's not about the support other clubs will bring. I think it's the right idea but the club should have had the decency to email ST holders in the DE and explain the decision. The JWL sounds like a good idea though, and you'll be closer to the away fans than you all were when you stood in the top corner of the DE, about as far away from the away fans as you could get without ending up in the river ;)

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In reality who's going to bring more than one half of the lower tier (2,500), nevermind even needing the upper tier.

I'd say Preston, Leeds, Villa/Boro (if still there), Bolton, Sheffield clubs (though not a definite with those two), Stoke, West brom, that's about it. 

And I'd say only Leeds would deifintely bring 5,500 (half of lower and upper). Novelty could have worn off for Preston. So the excuse that the move has been done so not to inconvienence Darwen End ST holders is a load of nonsense really. Should have just been truthful and say it is a cost cutting exercise and to place home support into fewer stands, so less scattered.

Stoke and WBA would only need remotely near 5,000 if they were going well for promotion or if it was a special occasion - e.g. bank holiday or cheap tickets. If they were mid-table or bottom half they wouldn't bring anywhere near. Likewise as you say the big North End day out whereby they bring almost as many to Ewood as they get on at Deepdale is unlikely to be a regular event. Leeds will always bring 5000+ unless obstacles are put in place to prevent them. Villa and Boro - again - capable of filling it when the going is good but I'd be interested to see how many turned up if they were 15th in the League. Easy when you're sat top 6 and going for promotion.

My concern is that Rovers are mistakenly thinking that 5,000 away followings are going to be frequent and are hoping to milk that by charging £30 a ticket like Bolton and Leeds do, which will ensure next to no walk on fans at home.

Nothing stopping Rovers from charging away fans £30 for tickets but then offering Rovers fans a 30%+ discount on those prices for 1875 members. We've been done in the past with the old membership trick at Old Trafford with away fans charged more than home fans who are 'members'.

4 hours ago, pk1875 said:

Just a thought ,With the success of the home fanzone I wonder if they are contemplating something similar (but more enclosed)  for away supporters outside the Darwen end for the medium to large following, games? Certainly be easier to steward with no home supporters present at that end of the ground?

Edited by perthblue02