BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darwen End Closure / New Singing Section

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/darwen-end-statement/

So Waggott says the decision was purely to avoid inconveniencing home fans. He's expecting Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds, Preston, Bolton, Wigan, Stoke and West Brom to all bring sufficient numbers to require more seats than the 4,000 that can be allocated in half of the Darwen End without needing to move home fans from the Darwen End.

I think he might be disappointed on that front. Leeds will fill it and PNE might fancy a big day out again but other than that unless one of those are going well for promotion I don't see them bringing that many.

Agreeing to noon kick offs for those games will also guarantee smaller travelling support.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

“We hope supporters can understand the rationale behind this decision" 

Steve, the rationale you are publically going with is nonsense . As only Leeds (though not certain) and perhaps Preston will bring over the 5,500 that can be housed in the usual away half of the lower and the whole upper tier, there wouldn't be 'constant disruption'.

As I said yesterday, why not just tell the truth? You wanted to cut costs and move home fans closer together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

As I said yesterday, why not just tell the truth? You wanted to cut costs and move home fans closer together. 

I'm sure if they'd have been clear from the outset that the rationale behind it was to save a few quid whilst condensing the home support then even those being moved would have understood the decision. I'm also sure that if they ran a scheme of relocation to a suitable designated block elsewhere it could work quite smoothly without upsetting existing season ticket holders.

To now try and make out as though it is being done to help supporters because we're going into the big boys league and will get massive away followings is quite insulting. Last time we were here only PNE, Leeds and Villa filled the Darwen End (or got close to doing so). For those games the Darwen End people were moved into side stands, no problems.

I also find it quite insulting that the club suddenly claim to be concerned about supporters convenience and yet you can bet when Leeds or Preston come to town with a full Darwen End the club will agree to move kick off times to 12noon to significant inconvenience to a lot of supporters.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

Comes back to my theory from last week. I suspect that the plan moving forward is to close both upper tiers unless essential and to allocate all away clubs the entire Darwen End lower e.g. 5000 seats with more on demand if needed. Therefore if WBA and Bolton etc. only bring 3000 or so that area will still look reasonably full without needing to go upstairs.

Someone in India wants to see full stands on camera so this is another step on that path.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Comes back to my theory from last week. I suspect that the plan moving forward is to close both upper tiers unless essential and to allocate all away clubs the entire Darwen End lower e.g. 5000 seats with more on demand if needed. Therefore if WBA and Bolton etc. only bring 3000 or so that area will still look reasonably full without needing to go upstairs.

Someone in India wants to see full stands on camera so this is another step on that path.

I think that's exactly what it is. If the away team fill one half of the lower tier and then sell another 500 tickets the club can just shove them in the other half of the lower tier. If they still had home fans in the lower tier they'd need to shove them upstairs which means more bar staff, also cleaning staff and stewards between the two lower tiers...and potentially some police. However, no employee of the club is going to admit it is a cost cutting exercise when it also being done for (entirely logical) logistical reasons.

Oh dear.  Some things never change.  I think a slap in the face for our supporters just when there was a feel good factor stating to return.  Has no one at Ewood got the balls to stand up to the police?

IMV, crass management and bull s h I t from Maggott.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Moving to noon kick offs without the need of a TV commitment is inconveniencing fans more than anything but hey ho Leeds bringing 3k instead of 6 and loads of season ticket holders who've already paid not turning up is right up the street of the OB.

WBA, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan all sub 3.5k unless going well or an attractive date on the calender.

Same applies to the Sheff clubs and this is before TV or midweek is factored in which it will be for a lot of those.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom

Not a good statement IMO; if you don’t want to inconvenience Home fans then don’t move them!

There’s no obligation to roll out the red carpet and give a full Darwen end to anyone we don’t have to do that.

Let’s not pretend this is the only way to avoid inconveniencing folk. 

• Like 2

It might be an idea if they came up with pricing to fleece these alleged big followings like they fleece visiting fans instead of moving home fans etc and banking on numbers coming at our often lower than them ticket prices.

But of course that would be inconveniencing away fans on their big day out at Ewood, can't have that, pack em in says Mike.

• Like 1

Goodness knows how Ewood staff and police would have coped with what went on pre ground segregation back in the 1960's.

Rovers' fans congregated in the BE, away fans in the DE and they would then transfer either just pre kick-off or at half time, via the Riverside, dependent upon which way the teams were kicking in the first half.

Yep, there were a few good punch ups but I can't remember anyone getting either killed or seriously injured.  Think the coppers loved it more than the battling fans!  Caley would have s--t himself.

I'm not advocating a return to those days but I think crowd management at Ewood these days is way OTT and it's about time that the club put its fans first. 

Edited by Mercer

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It's the way Ewood SHOULD be imo. Blackburn End (Home) vs Darwen End (Away).

In theory yes but when you've got 200 Brentford fans in the bottom of a near 8000 seat stand on a Tuesday night it's a bit eerie. Looking out on it it's better when there are 300 home fans in there as well at least it looks and sometimes sounds like there is a bit of life in there and i'm sure it's better for the team which is an important factor.

Course if the BBE is three quarters full it can cover for that when the teams attacking that way they usually get up for it but will it be or will it be half full like last season ?

Bit patronising really. Waggott needs to have the courage of their convictions.

If they feel that it’s the best thing for the club, financially, to minimise the DE capacity then just be honest about it. Yes, it would be great to have the DE fans move to the BBE but you can’t force them to do so. The will instead move the the JWL or Riverside. It may help to get the crowd more compact and generate a better atmosphere.

Don’t tell people that it is to avoid inconveniencing them for a handful of games. It’s insulting and breeds distrust.

Personally (and it doesn’t impact me so it’s easy to say) I think that opening the DE thinned out the BBE and divided fans, and quietened the atmosphere. It will take a while to reverse that.

Where they could have made a real difference to the atmosphere (and appease one group of fans whilst potentially inconveniencing another) would have been to make the back 8 rows of the  BBE unreserved seating. This could have even been a precursor to a future safe standing zone.

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If they feel that it’s the best thing for the club, financially, to minimise the DE capacity then just be honest about it. Yes, it would be great to have the DE fans move to the BBE but you can’t force them to do so. The will instead move the the JWL or Riverside. It may help to get the crowd more compact and generate a better atmosphere.

Don’t tell people that it is to avoid inconveniencing them for a handful of games. It’s insulting and breeds distrust.

Personally (and it doesn’t impact me so it’s easy to say) I think that opening the DE thinned out the BBE and divided fans, and quietened the atmosphere. It will take a while to reverse that.

Where they could have made a real difference to the atmosphere (and appease one group of fans whilst potentially inconveniencing another) would have been to make the back 8 rows of the  BBE unreserved seating. This could have even been a precursor to a future safe standing zone.

That bottom suggestion is good in that it does allow more away fans or whatever they want to suggest closing the Darwen End does, whilst allowing that unreserved seating that appeals to many and also leaves more fans in the one stand.

Then again, it is again moving even more fans against their will.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

That bottom suggestion is good in that it does allow more away fans or whatever they want to suggest closing the Darwen End does, whilst allowing that unreserved seating that appeals to many and also leaves more fans in the one stand.

Then again, it is again moving even more fans against their will.

If you think about it, they don’t have to move.

Just get there early enough to claim a seat.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

If you think about it, they don’t have to move.

Just get there early enough to claim a seat.

Good point.

Id still prefer them to have just left the Darwen End open to be honest, but your alternative shows some proactivity the club seemingly lacks.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Someone could shut a door down Ewood and there would be 3 pages of people saying it’s a bad decision.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

In theory yes but when you've got 200 Brentford fans in the bottom of a near 8000 seat stand on a Tuesday night it's a bit eerie. Looking out on it it's better when there are 300 home fans in there as well at least it looks and sometimes sounds like there is a bit of life in there and i'm sure it's better for the team which is an important factor.

Course if the BBE is three quarters full it can cover for that when the teams attacking that way they usually get up for it but will it be or will it be half full like last season ?

Making noise in the away end only benefits the away team.

Let them look eerie and tiny in a big stand for me, and get our own vocal fans infecting the home support rather than the opposition’s.

Edited by S8 & Blue

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

No it’s not. The Darwen End is traditionally Home support. 

8 hours ago, Gladwingone said:

Completely agree !

See above. 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

You can’t make the back eight rows of the Blackburn End unreserved as people have bought the same seats there for years and you would have to potentially move them against their will........

Oh hang on....