BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whats your highlight of the season 2017/18

So as we look forward to what will hopefully be a promotion party this week, what has been your favourite game of this gruelling League 1 campaign? We didn't start well but how big was that first win at Bradford who hadn't lost at home for over a year? Peterborough and Blackpool away was plenty of goals but for me it has to be Shrewsbury at home. It was a massive game in the context of the season but both the fans and the players were superb as we ran out fairly comfortable winners. Bennett was in central midfield for the first time and controlled the centre of midfield alongside Smallwood. 

Peterborough at home got to be up there for me although never a classic.

At 2 1 up with less than 2 minutes of the added time left Danny Graham's experience could have told him to take the ball to the left corner flag. That's when the real Danny Graham's striker's instinct took over, ball to Dack, 3 1.

Rovers at home to Shrewsbury! Ripped them apart in such a big game, if the result had been reversed then just think about that. Thought Bennett & Smallwood were superb in the middle that day.

• Backroom

Shrewsbury & Peterborough at Ewood. The highlights from the latter are the only ones I've felt the need to save from this season.

Rotherham at home was a good one too. We played really well in the first half, less so in the second but were still comfortable until the final whistle. From what I remember we'd been on a bad run of form but that match gave everybody a real shot in the arm.

Of course a couple of matches later we managed to lose to Oldham (who seemed to have our number this season?!) but that blip aside we were then on our way up the table. 

• Backroom

Unusual choice, but Rochdale at home. Not for the performance as such but it was the first time I really thought Dack was some player. It was that game when I started thinking we may actually get promoted.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few games of bar football and enough IPA to sink a battle ship, we found ourselves in The Yorkshire House in Lancaster last night talkin about our highlights of the season just gone.

The range of discussion went from Southend away being one highlight :wacko: I'd still be here tomorrow explaining that one, to the players families walking round the pitch after the Oxford game, Walsall away, we couldn't agree on one to be honest.

But for me one game stands out above all the season, it was a close run thing with Doncaster away, carrying the players off the pitch at the final whistle was unbelievable, scenes that will live with me forever, but the final home game against Oxford sends goose bumps down my spine everytime I think about it.

Everyone seemed to have a Rovers shirt on, the number of families and general feel around the place was magical, I'm getting a lump in my throat just writing this. I've long been of the opinion that the support isn't dead, despite the best efforts of those ****s in Pune, and once again the Blackburn public showed we support our football club and we support our town, long may that continue. 

We've been up and down the land this season, Rovers fans have taken over most places we visited, the League 1 experience has been great, but the best moment for me, Oxford at home, just goes to show this club will never die.

Onwards and upwards.

Good shout Gav.

The Oxford match was of course great.

Plymouth away was great as well believe it or not, not least because of the unexpected “audience with” Mark Atkins at the hotel on the Friday night. He was there with Andy Bayes ahead of the game and had 20-30 of us enthralled for a good two hours with  some fantastic stories. Just had to keep plying them with drinks! Top fellas the pair of them.

Some great away days and like you a season that will live long in the memory. Still gutted I didn’t make Donny, but, job done.

I’m going to go with Walsall though as the highlight. Best atmosphere in decades - what was the quote? “An unrelenting Northern din” or such like! ? That was the game when I really thought we were going to do it as well.

Next seasons got a hell of a lot to live up to. We’ll not win as many that’s obviously guaranteed - but in Mowbray we have a good honest bloke who has the clubs best interests at heart. For God sakes back him. They said on the radio earlier today during the commentary of the Boro match that they now estimate that promotion to The PL and remaining there for just one season nets a club, wait for it, £290m. 

As for League One, I read this on Twitter, I can’t remember which club it was, but it wasn’t us, but it fits. “It was a great place to go for a holiday, but I wouldn’t want to live there”.

I agree with Bob, Walsall away. Fantastic noise from Rovers fans, a devastating first half performance and resilient second to hold on for the win. It wasn’t a must win game but it also convinced me that we had what it takes to get promoted, arte et labore in abundance and a set of fans who could push the team to keep going. Great day out!

3 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Good shout Gav.

The Oxford match was of course great.

Plymouth away was great as well believe it or not, not least because of the unexpected “audience with” Mark Atkins at the hotel on the Friday night. He was there with Andy Bayes ahead of the game and had 20-30 of us enthralled for a good two hours with  some fantastic stories. Just had to keep plying them with drinks! Top fellas the pair of them.

Some great away days and like you a season that will live long in the memory. Still gutted I didn’t make Donny, but, job done.

I’m going to go with Walsall though as the highlight. Best atmosphere in decades - what was the quote? “An unrelenting Northern din” or such like! ? That was the game when I really thought we were going to do it as well.

Next seasons got a hell of a lot to live up to. We’ll not win as many that’s obviously guaranteed - but in Mowbray we have a good honest bloke who has the clubs best interests at heart. For God sakes back him. They said on the radio earlier today during the commentary of the Boro match that they now estimate that promotion to The PL and remaining there for just one season nets a club, wait for it, £290m. 

As for League One, I read this on Twitter, I can’t remember which club it was, but it wasn’t us, but it fits. “It was a great place to go for a holiday, but I wouldn’t want to live there”.

Amen to that.

Personally I enjoyed Bury away as it broke a very long run of no-wins for me on the road. 

I wasn't there but the win at Wimbledon was a big moment. In the middle of a terrible weather spell, when other teams were having games called off, to go down there midweek and win was a great result. Credit to those who travelled down that day as well.

16 hours ago, bob fleming said:

They said on the radio earlier today during the commentary of the Boro match that they now estimate that promotion to The PL and remaining there for just one season nets a club, wait for it, £290m. 

If the Raos have any,ANY Business sense whatsoever they will back Mowbray with some serious coin this Summer...they could be in the black and laughing all the way to the Bank so quickly it's untrue.Good for ALL involved with the club.

The Oxford game for me..felt like the club's heart was beating once again after so long.

Lowpoint-Getting beat 3-1 at home off Doncaster. Sat with my feet over the seat in front on The Riverside, thinking we would probably looking at another relegation season

Highpoints-Rochdale away, great day out in total and singing on the train back with Bob and Scotty, Bob passing the cans round the train

Oxford away-getting in late (due to err, buses etc) and the lad letting us in telling us we had missed three Rovers goals

Half time V Wigan at home

Oldham home, getting two goals back and nearly winning it.

Shrewsbury home, amazing atmosphere

Peterborough Home, and Oxford home,. 

What a season.

Archived