BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Homophobia in football

According to today's sun two openly gay(within the dressing room) premiership footballers are suffering abuse because of their sexuality. Things such as pieces of paper with faggot written on left under there bags and sex toys left in the players cars with such stunts continuing ever since. One player born in Africa has spoke out to say he objects to men having a sexual relationship on religious grounds. It's created a toxic atmosphere and several players are looking for transfers.

With religion and the game being multi national as well as people genuinely being homophobic for what ever ridiculous reason they spout, can gay players ever come out. I'd like to believe they could. I think gay players would be surprised by the support they would get, however I think the problem is more of what goes on in a dressing room. Club management have been accused of doing nothing and just like racism something needs to be done. However the media hunt to find an openly gay "top name" just fuels this pressure. I don't see why anyone has to openly come out. I never said everybody, I'm straight . People.should just be able to get on with there lives as they choose. Sadly this is the world.we live in

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

According to today's sun two openly gay(within the dressing room) premiership footballers are suffering abuse because of their sexuality. Things such as pieces of paper with faggot written on left under there bags and sex toys left in the players cars with such stunts continuing ever since. One player born in Africa has spoke out to say he objects to men having a sexual relationship on religious grounds. It's created a toxic atmosphere and several players are looking for transfers.

With religion and the game being multi national as well as people genuinely being homophobic for what ever ridiculous reason they spout, can gay players ever come out. I'd like to believe they could. I think gay players would be surprised by the support they would get, however I think the problem is more of what goes on in a dressing room. Club management have been accused of doing nothing and just like racism something needs to be done. However the media hunt to find an openly gay "top name" just fuels this pressure. I don't see why anyone has to openly come out. I never said everybody, I'm straight . People.should just be able to get on with there lives as they choose. Sadly this is the world.we live in

It will take a player to come out to set a trend. There is absolutely no reason why it should impact on anything. It's strange that even rugby players are more likely to come out that footballers. That African player should be the one shown the door. Here (Ireland and England) most reasonable people don't dscriminate like that, if he has a problem he should go play football somewhere else. 

Any idea what team this is happening at? 

In many respects football is still living in the past and if any player was to come out whilst still playing he would run the risk of being subjected to homophobic insults from terraces. If the Sun story is true then his teammates who are responsible should be hauled over the coals, disciplined and expelled from the PFA. I honestly don't think any gay player will ever come out whilst Neanderthals are still in and around the game.

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Internet support would be overwhelming. Real support probably less so.

I'd be more offended by the religious guys stance rather than having a gay team mate to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It will take a player to come out to set a trend. There is absolutely no reason why it should impact on anything. It's strange that even rugby players are more likely to come out that footballers. That African player should be the one shown the door. Here (Ireland and England) most reasonable people don't dscriminate like that, if he has a problem he should go play football somewhere else. 

Any idea what team this is happening at? 

No. It doesn't say. Just two prem players are in a relationship on the same team. I agree regarding the African lad. Sadly imagine if it was the Madrid back up keeper and Ronaldo had the problem. Can you see the club making a stance. 

Just now, arbitro said:

In many respects football is still living in the past and if any player was to come out whilst still playing he would run the risk of being subjected to homophobic insults from terraces. If the Sun story is true then his teammates who are responsible should be hauled over the coals, disciplined and expelled from the PFA. I honestly don't think any gay player will ever come out whilst Neanderthals are still in and around the game.

It is f****** bizarre. Rugby players have come out, hurlers and gaelic footballers over here have. All sports I would consider far more "manly" than football (well, these days anyway). No fans dare say anything to them, A-cos the player would kick their head in and B-other fans would turn on them. What is it with football fans and players? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is f****** bizarre. Rugby players have come out, hurlers and gaelic footballers over here have. All sports I would consider far more "manly" than football (well, these days anyway). No fans dare say anything to them, A-cos the player would kick their head in and B-other fans would turn on them. What is it with football fans and players? 

It really is strange that in pretty much all walks of life it isn't an issue yet football for some reason can't progress with the times 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

It really is strange that in pretty much all walks of life it isn't an issue yet football for some reason can't progress with the times 

If people where I work were doing that to 2 gay lads in a relationship, those doing it would be fired. 

To be honest I was surprised to read the OP that there were homophobes in the changing room but there has always been an undercurrent of homophobia and racism on the terraces. I was reminded of this after the Charlton game when a friend who had been at the game sent me a text to say he was appalled at the racist and homophobic chanting by some Rovers fans on the train back to London Bridge.

Just now, arbitro said:

To be honest I was surprised to read the OP that there were homophobes in the changing room but there has always been an undercurrent of homophobia and racism on the terraces. I was reminded of this after the Charlton game when a friend who had been at the game sent me a text to say he was appalled at the racist and homophobic chanting by some Rovers fans on the train back to London Bridge.

I occasionally read tweets by Rovers fans on twitter along the lines of "F*** the fenians, F*** the pope, F*** the IRA" , so I would imagine some of the even more illiterates sing similar at games. Whatever about the pope and IRA parts, we can all have opinions on that. They are saying all 3 as a blanket insult to Irish Catholics. Stupidly, but that's why they say it. I couldn't care less, I just think it sounds ridiculous. As if they even know where the term fenian comes from. 

I am sure fans off all clubs sing worse. It's a football problem. You don't have it in rugby, gaelic, hurling or I would imagine cricket. To name but a few other sports. 

The homophobic stuff is bizzare though, as being gay and living a life of equality is the absolute norm now in every other facet of life. Except football, apparently.  

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Too much lad culture and ‘bantz’ around football though, times are moving on and I do think the majority would be supportive of anyone that came out but there’d still be an undercurrent of people that wouldn’t accept it.

Just now, Tom said:

Too much lad culture and ‘bantz’ around football though, times are moving on and I do think the majority would be supportive of anyone that came out but there’d still be an undercurrent of people that wouldn’t accept it.

Ya, its usually the same nobs. I don't know what they are afraid of, I put it down to some deep routed insecurities about their own sexuality. 

Just now, Tom said:

A lot of footballers fear something or somebody who is different and doesn't espouse a lot of the normal macho traits. I remember well when Fowler was hitching his shorts up showing his backside in front of Le Saux in a PL match. It was a deliberate attempt by Fowler to humiliate Le Saux because of a rumour in football that Let Saux was gay. In fact Le Saux's only ' crime' was not fitting into the stereotypical world created by footballers because he was different. He read The Guardian rather than the boys magazines and didn't go on the night's out.

It's such an insular world a lot of them live in.

43 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Additionally, it could severly harm their careers. What clubs are going to purchase an openly gay player through fear of what it cause in the dressing room? 

Its seriously Neanderthal and things should be done but I just cannot see anyone coming out in the near future. As for these two who are known in their own dressing room, it must surely only be a matter of time before someone leaks their names. If their own team know about it, you can bet that players at many other premier clubs will do too. 

Of course, the Sun will probably not rest until they can get these players names on the front pages and ruin their careers.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Additionally, it could severly harm their careers. What clubs are going to purchase an openly gay player through fear of what it cause in the dressing room? 

Its seriously Neanderthal and things should be done but I just cannot see anyone coming out in the near future. As for these two who are known in their own dressing room, it must surely only be a matter of time before someone leaks their names. If their own team know about it, you can bet that players at many other premier clubs will do too. 

Of course, the Sun will probably not rest until they can get these players names on the front pages and ruin their careers.

True. Didn't that happen with an American footballer? He came out and then he didn't get another contract 

It would impact their career, unless it was someone like Messi. In which case it wouldn't matter. 

True. Didn't that happen with an American footballer? He came out and then he didn't get another contract 

It would impact their career, unless it was someone like Messi. In which case it wouldn't matter. 

Clubs and football have to do more but you just know they wont. Any player that comes out may as well basically kiss goodbye to their career. Fear for these two now they have that rag on their case.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Clubs and football have to do more but you just know they wont. Any player that comes out may as well basically kiss goodbye to their career. Fear for these two now they have that rag on their case.

Remember a few months back they had those rainbow laces and a lot of players refused to wear them? I could have imagined that happening on my school team when we were 15. I think footballers are in some ways still stuck in adolescence 

Remember a few months back they had those rainbow laces and a lot of players refused to wear them? I could have imagined that happening on my school team when we were 15. I think footballers are in some ways still stuck in adolescence 

Yup, kids are kids and we have probably all jokingly called others names similar to that of the players abusing the two players in the dressing room when we were younger. Difference is that most of us grow up and learn that it is wrong. For some reason footballers never quite grow up it seems (in general anyway).

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yup, kids are kids and we have probably all jokingly called others names similar to that of the players abusing the two players in the dressing room when we were younger. Difference is that most of us grow up and learn that it is wrong. For some reason footballers never quite grow up it seems (in general anyway).

100%

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are you saying all players should have worn rainbow laces?

Surely not if there us still freedom if choice for all.

Why not wear them and support those who are being discriminated against? 

What concerns me is that those who, in this example, chose not to wear rainbow laces are themselves being discriminated against and subjected to innuendo as to their beliefs.

I strongly believe in the individuals freedom of choice, whatever it is and if it is the complete opposite of my opinion I can live with that.

I would not wear rainbow laces, I always wore black laces.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

What concerns me is that those who, in this example, chose not to wear rainbow laces are themselves being discriminated against and being descriminated against and subected to innuendo as to their beliefs.

Come now. No they aren't.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What concerns me is that those who, in this example, chose not to wear rainbow laces are themselves being discriminated against and subjected to innuendo as to their beliefs.

I strongly believe in the individuals freedom of choice, whatever it is and if it is the complete opposite of my opinion I can live with that.

I would not wear rainbow laces, I always wore black laces.

Nobody discriminated against those who didn't wear them. It was just visible that some didn't wear them  

Would you wear yellow ones to raise awareness of cancer? 

Nobody discriminated against those who didn't wear them. It was just visible that some didn't wear them  

Would you wear yellow ones to raise awareness of cancer? 

I prefer to make financial donations to cancer foundations, my Mum having been a victim.

Archived