BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Just now, JacknOry said:

Agreed, some would think that we have been in L1 for 10 years and have just made the step up or something. We were ably competing with these clubs and beating alot of them for years before last season.

I can understand him perhaps wanting to put the breaks on expectations somewhat and slow things down a bit and make sure people realise that things will be much tougher in this league but I think he's going too far here. We all understand the situation with clubs with significant resources and that plenty of clubs have bigger fanbases but it is going too far.

Middlesbrough supporter or not he should be more respectful to Rovers. Perhaps he should spend some time reading up on history before classing Middlesbrough as 'huge'.

1 hour ago, EgyptianPete said:

Maybe but football is different, if we are doing well the crowds will come back if only slowly, look at the liverpool fans last week forking out more than our season ticket price to get to Kiev for one game,  i dont think the majority of liverpool people are on 50% more wages than the people of Blackburn.

You are forgetting the disparity in size.Blackburn and Darwen---about 100000?

Liverpool 880000! Comparing proportions doesn't really come into this. They could even have a larger % of people on low incomes but still have hundreds of thousands more with higher.

Besides, Liverpool has a vast fanbase outside Liverpool---including Blackburn! even having 2 clubs there doesn't change that.

The crowds will gradually come back if we do well, I agree with that. Burnley manage on less than 20000.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16254413.A__huge_challenge__awaits_Rovers_in_the_Championship__says_Mowbray/#comments-anchor

A bit too much bigging up other clubs here for my liking.

I accept it is a formidable looking league for all concerned given the amount of 'big names' in there and a lack of 'small clubs'.

I'm not really comfortable with Mowbray referring to the likes of Middlesbrough as a huge club or Sheffield United with huge expectations. Neither of those are huge clubs compared to Rovers, in any measure. Middlesbrough have been throwing the cash around and that's about it.

Pre season generic comments. Nothing to see here. He was saying the same stuff last summer. It's his way, he takes it game by game and expects hard work in each one. In Tony we trust 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Ipswich turned Lampard down, so I'd be very worried as a Derby fan if that one goes through. 

Was it not Lampard pulling out of talks with Ipswich as they wouldn't pay him enough?Sure I read that somewhere buy it could have just been paper rubbish 

He is bringing Jody Morris with him, who has done very well underage for Chelsea. They will surely be bringing a few of those youngsters to the club.

It is a gamble of an appointment though, no doubt. Then again,unless you are appointing Guardiola, aren't they all :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Was it not Lampard pulling out of talks with Ipswich as they wouldn't pay him enough?Sure I read that somewhere buy it could have just been paper rubbish 

Papers here have said that Evans didn't think Lampard's coaching ideas were up to scratch. Who knows what the truth is, although if Lampard was asking for silly amounts that would be a good reason to turn him down too. Yet to do anything to earn such demands.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

You should hold your hand up there and accept that you have made a wholly inappropriate response. to a real issue. Could you live on such a paltry amount and then buy a season ticket?

I've quoted factual information to show that Blackburn is one of the very poorest communities in Britain. New cars and season tickets come under the heading of discretionary expenditure---many don't have any.

Rovers are free to charge any amount they like but equally will have to take into consideration that a larger proportion of our potential fan base than almost all of our rivals simply CANNOT pay.

Cheaper football brings bigger crowds-----we know that because we have proved it in the past. 

I don’t know if I’d buy a season ticket or not if I was in min wage. One has to spend based on ones own personal priorities. Beer, fags and skittles wouldn’t make my list but I suspect they do for many on low incomes.

If tickets should be priced vs local income and catchment area then Burnley tickets should be cheaper than ours, regardless of being in the Premier League, and Accy should be paying people to come.

Obviously one doesn’t like the thought of proper fans being priced out - although that has been the story of football everywhere the last 20 years - but the gigantic flaw in the idea is giving a 35% price cut to the 12,000 who can already afford the current prices. Enough new people don’t come to bridge that gap.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Burnley have an equal if not better catchment area than us considering they draw support from Hyndburn in the west over to parts of Yorkshire.

In Cornwall and there was a kid with a shitty “Burnley in Europe” t-shirt on yesterday. Both he and his mum had southern accents!

Amazing what being in the PL does for a club’s attraction from the floating/glory/underdog/generic/“football” fan!

Venkys Out!

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

In Cornwall and there was a kid with a shitty “Burnley in Europe” t-shirt on yesterday. Both he and his mum had southern accents!

Amazing what being in the PL does for a club’s attraction from the floating/glory/underdog/generic/“football” fan!

Venkys Out!

It was probably a stag do. If they are from Burnley and having no experience of Europe they probably left the shitty little village they live in for the first time in their lives thinking Cornwall was a far away land in europe. As for the accent it was probably a bad reaction to the drink and drugs

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Mattyblue said:

"Everyone in my kids school support (enter non descript southern town here) a BIG SIX club but I told mine to support the plucky underdog!'

(Instead of our local League 2 team - ya know an actual underdog!)  

Precisely! And they’d probably find they enjoyed the local experience - if they actually went!

On 28/05/2018 at 17:57, Stuart said:

Ex players top have a history of doing well at Rovers. I think they capture the imagination.

Not sure Lampard has the acumen though. Managers don’t seem to need to prove themselves any more.

Expect Uncle 'Arry will be lurking in the background to set up a deal or two and do some back-seat-driving.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul Hurst is the new manager of Ipswich Town Football Club, signing a three-year deal at Portman Road

? https://t.co/DD2LYNUBjv https://t.co/57ri6WkSyw

I can't help feeling for Shrewsbury in all this. They had a great season and under normal circumstances would have gone straight up but now they have lost their manager (another probably backroom staff), they will lose their best players and will struggle next season (in my opinion) to stay in League One. The fine margins are in evidence there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul Hurst is the new manager of Ipswich Town Football Club, signing a three-year deal at Portman Road

? https://t.co/DD2LYNUBjv https://t.co/57ri6WkSyw

Not having a go a Hurst the job he did at Shrewsbury was fantastic but the Ipswich fans who hounded MM out for his style of football might not get the free flowing football they were after. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
15 hours ago, Stuart said:

Venkys Out!

Tour of the other inbred counties? Next stop the Home Counties, finishing in Norfolk.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I can't help feeling for Shrewsbury in all this. They had a great season and under normal circumstances would have gone straight up but now they have lost their manager (another probably backroom staff), they will lose their best players and will struggle next season (in my opinion) to stay in League One. The fine margins are in evidence there.

I dont feel for Shrewsbury one bit. 

Thats football. 

Yes Hurst did amazing job there and deserve all the credit. 

Hope he does well at Ipswich this season. 

Who next for Shrewsbury? Maybe Grayson or Keith Curle?