BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

45 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I said Bryan Robson

Bobby Robson is about the only one. Terry Venables as well perhaps but he was only capped twice by England.

Edit - wrong quote - meant for Stuart.

Sorry pal. I’m blaming Matty!

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I'm saying he is the only ex England star to make it as a top manager

In the PL (playing) era, Paul Ince is probably the most successful manager of the former England players, with a L2 promotion.

That tells you everything!

Keegan is likely to be the next best, by honours.

As an aside, I just looked at Southgate’s wiki for his list of managerial achievements. He doesn’t even have a section! However, not too shabby as a player. Although never played for a ‘top side’, he has been captain at every club he has been at and won promotion to the PL (Palace), League Cup (Villa), League Cup (Boro) and a UEFA Cup finalist (Boro).

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In the PL (playing) era, Paul Ince is probably the most successful manager of the former England players, with a L2 promotion.

That tells you everything!

Keegan is likely to be the next best, by honours.

As an aside, I just looked at Southgate’s wiki for his list of managerial achievements. He doesn’t even have a section! However, not too shabby as a player. Although never played for a ‘top side’, he has been captain at every club he has been at and won promotion to the PL (Palace), League Cup (Villa), League Cup (Boro) and a UEFA Cup finalist (Boro).

I liked Southgate as a player, good honest pro. Seems like a nice bloke as well. Just not manager material in my opinion although it'd be great if he proves me wrong with England.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Leeds united is another club who hire and fire every season but achieve nothing at all in years

The problem is in the poor managers, not the system.

Look at Chelsea and Watford, both have achieved relative success with a short term hire and fire system.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The problem is in the poor managers, not the system.

Look at Chelsea and Watford, both have achieved relative success with a short term hire and fire system.

But Leeds have had zero success.

Heckingbottom wasnt given a chance there. 

Leeds go for another foriegn manager. Rumour it Biesla. 62 years old.

Will it be another crash and burn for them?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But Leeds have had zero success.

Heckingbottom wasnt given a chance there. 

Leeds go for another foriegn manager. Rumour it Biesla. 62 years old.

Will it be another crash and burn for them?

I know but im saying that its not that managers there arent being given enough time, its the quality of manager thats the issue.

Bielsa is a hot head I think but is well thought of and experienced. Suppose Leeds could argue they went with an English manager and look how that went.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know but im saying that its not that managers there arent being given enough time, its the quality of manager thats the issue.

Bielsa is a hot head I think but is well thought of and experienced. Suppose Leeds could argue they went with an English manager and look how that went.

3 months with Heckingbottom in charge with a squad that wasnt good enough and lots of different nationalities there is enough time? No transfer window to bring players he wanted. 

Heckingbottom shouldnt have gone to Leeds in hindsigt. Reckon he might get the Bradford job

Leeds will go nowhere under Bielsa IMO. 

Usually 1 team runs away with the Championship. Newcastle last year, Wolves this. I know little about Derby but they have created a lot of buzz hiring Lampard. I've no idea if he is any good. Time and results will see to that.

On the face of it Derby are on the up and Villa are sinking; both who made it to the play offs.

Not to derail the thread (I'll move it if need be) but there were some interesting points regarding Prem era capped England players lack of managerial success.

Shearer's 8 games at Newcastle didn't work. Gary Neville's stint at Valencia was a disaster - he was also a part of Hodgson's back room team. His brother is England women's coach.

Peter Shilton flamed out at Plymouth. Tony Adams was last seen in some ex-Soviet republic after going nowhere at Wycombe. Sol Campbell can't get a look in anywhere. Rio Ferdinand wants to be a boxer. Beckham is a celebrity. David Platt lasted a week at Forest.

Most of the above were England captain at some point. Yet Southgate gets no end of grief, but at least he's willing to try.

The FA really need to review how coaches are developed.

The British media seems to have too much of an agenda against English footballers / managers. They’ll dig through tweets, find old girlfriends, invent bung scandals (by entrapment) and then hound them out of a job.

It’s a disgrace. Bitter Scottish hacks/editors? Foreign newspaper owners - e.g. Russian? Not sure the reason but these lurid tales seem to sell papers so you have to blame those who buy them with their screaming headlines or click on the ad-approved links for creating a market. I guess we should be glad that Southgate seems to be pretty squeaky.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

3 months with Heckingbottom in charge with a squad that wasnt good enough and lots of different nationalities there is enough time? No transfer window to bring players he wanted. 

Heckingbottom shouldnt have gone to Leeds in hindsigt. Reckon he might get the Bradford job

You are quite correct. Heckingbottom had no real chance with the squad he inherited or time to build at Leeds.

I thought their scatter gun approach to managers would change when they got shut of the mental Italian owner, or is he still involved?

I hope Leeds go somewhere, League 1 preferably.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

To be fair, it seems that under Heckingbottom, theyve actually gone backwards compared to under Christensen, his record albeit only over 16 games is incredibly poor, the fans seem unanimous in their response, its like with Lambert, patience is only good if you see signs of progression, and as I said and the stats prove, they have slid further under Heckingbottom.

Not sure you can go down the "not another foreign manager" route either, I know you like promoting British managers but theyve given many a chance over the last few years, Redfearn, McDermott, Hockaday, Monk, Evans and now Heckingbottom and it hasnt worked for any of them.

Bielsa seems to be a bit of a firecracker but hes a bit of a tactical revolutionist whose managed some big clubs and is highly respected by managers including Guardiola and Pochettino, so maybe it would be a far more exciting appointment than someone like McLaren, Lee Johnson, Dean Smith, or than a total novice like a Lampard or a Gerrard.

Like us, Leeds are just one owner decision from being a laughing stock.

Sunderland have impressively carried the flag for a while and now Leeds could take it off them with another awful manager appointment.

Leeds are just not destined for success anymore. Anytime they get any positivity, it’s quickly stamped out. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, it seems that under Heckingbottom, theyve actually gone backwards compared to under Christensen, his record albeit only over 16 games is incredibly poor, the fans seem unanimous in their response, its like with Lambert, patience is only good if you see signs of progression, and as I said and the stats prove, they have slid further under Heckingbottom.

Not sure you can go down the "not another foreign manager" route either, I know you like promoting British managers but theyve given many a chance over the last few years, Redfearn, McDermott, Hockaday, Monk, Evans and now Heckingbottom and it hasnt worked for any of them.

Bielsa seems to be a bit of a firecracker but hes a bit of a tactical revolutionist whose managed some big clubs and is highly respected by managers including Guardiola and Pochettino, so maybe it would be a far more exciting appointment than someone like McLaren, Lee Johnson, Dean Smith, or than a total novice like a Lampard or a Gerrard.

Very unfair on Heckingbottom IMO. no chance to bring his own players he wanted, working with unbalance squad, far too many foriegn players.

Christiansen started well but things went bad after a couple of months  

They had Rosler, Christiansen and Milanic in the past 4 seasons aswell. 

Leeds in last few years have gone nowhere. 

Biesla has no experience of football in England. Will be culture shock for him. Yes they have some managers who has been successful but alot more failures. 

Lee Johnson and Dean Smith have both done good jobs at their clubs. I would prefer one of those than someone like Biesla. McClaren is McClaren. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bobby Robson was great manager. His achievements with England, Ipswich and Newcastle was excellent. 

Yes Stuart I agree with your embarrased comment when they sacked him

Errmm I think the name he mentioned was Bryan Robson not Bobby. I was only talking about footballers I have seen. Unfortunately I never saw Robson (Bobby) or Clough (Brian) in their playing days

2 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Errmm I think the name he mentioned was Bryan Robson not Bobby. I was only talking about footballers I have seen. Unfortunately I never saw Robson (Bobby) or Clough (Brian) in their playing days

I quote Stuart who mention Bobby Robson. Never quote anybody else so whats the problem?

I just think it' a bit sad that 22 years after El Tel told the FA that they needed to tap into the knowledge and expertise of ex England footballers to help us improve seems to have fallen on deaf ears. They are not all managers and nor would they need to be. They have experience of heartache (1996) and failure since then. What a bloody waste

Edited by ossyian
Finish sentence
  • Like 2