BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

massive risk considering Bielsa last 2 jobs where he hasn't lasted a season or even 6 months. his success was 5 years ago at best

it is that exciting really? big name really? 

never won a trophy in 3 European leagues he managed in. 

its McClaren not McLaren. won 2 trophies during his management career. one at FC Twente and one league cup at Boro. 

Yes I will admitted that McClaren hasn't done nothing since his first spell at Derby but you building Bielsa up like he Pep or Mourinho

Its on now - you are seriously correcting people on spelling with your 'extremely' poor grasp of the English language?

massive risk considering Bielsa last 2 jobs where he hasn't lasted a season or even 6 months. his success was 5 years ago at best

its McClaren not McLaren. won 2 trophies during his management career. one at FC Twente and one league cup at Boro. 

Yes I will admitted that McClaren hasn't done nothing since his first spell at Derby but you building Bielsa up like he Pep or Mourinho

Sentences start with a capital letters - basic stuff they teach 6 year olds.

Edited by JacknOry

Admit

anything

you're or you are

he is

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A massive gamble on a very temperamental guy. 

Not sure how exciting it is it? Lets see how he copes with championship football and British players. 

look at your comments. 

a big name who managed big clubs? really? not in Europe pal. 

Who would I have appointed? I would have gone for Dean Smith from Brentford. But I did say I would have kept Heckingbottom on and give him at least half a season and a summer of building his own squad. 

Leeds United have been gambleing  for years and achieve nothing but waste after waste of money. 

You always prefer the boring British candidate. Blocks of cement have more marketing prowess. Look how much attention Leeds United have gained from this appointment. Of course it's worth the risk and if he "walked out" it's hardly as if people like Bruce and Rowett (who would have walked out on Birmingham haven't) so be it. Might be the right fit for him though and the type Leeds United should look for. Not yet another "Plain Jane". The best manager Leeds had imposed his personality (I'm not saying Revie was generally better than Clough but obviously their records at Leeds were somewhat different!) on the place. They hadn't done sod all in football until he joined. He even changed the shirts so much for it being all modern "sacrilege" with nothing like that ever happening then. I'm not saying Bielsa will have the same success just that some people can impose their personality in certain environments and thrive. Whereas in others it may be more difficult.

Edited by Vinjay17

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/invited-under-21-teams-confirmed-for-201819-checkatrade-trophy/?utm_source=Direct

Invited teams for this season's FL Trophy. Notice that Middlesbrough, Fulham, Stoke, West Brom, Newcastle, Southampton and Wolves have all been invited ahead of our U23s despite finishing below them in the league last season, and being a division below us next season.

I suppose the excuse for that will be that Fulham, Newcastle, Wolves and Southampton are in the Premier league (not sure why that is relevant to participating in this competition). Nor does that explain why Boro, Stoke and West Brom have got invites ahead of us.

It shows a glimpse into the thinking of the league though, clearly preferring certain clubs in their competitions over others. All the gusto about helping young players develop yet Rovers' excellent crop of youngsters are being deprived of this opportunity behind West Brom's kids for reasons unknown.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 6

• Backroom

Certainly true although I think we showed little respect to the checkatrade last time we were in it in the championship. 

Would have been nice for the youngsters to be involved though 

Its scandalous really. I suppose its possible that Rovers may have been invited in but declined the offer, but more likely Is that the 'EFL' have us at the back of the queue of Category 1 academy clubs, despite the fact that we have had Category 1 status longer than most and our development side have performed better than many clubs, having won promotion last season to the top division.

I was under the impression that possession of Category 1 status put you on an even keel with others with that status, regardless of how your first team was performing.

It seems to me that someone at the 'EFL' are selecting clubs on the basis of how their first teams perform (hence mainly Premier League clubs) and have then got round to those who were recently in the Premier League but have dropped out.

Of course if it was a competition based on merit then the best performing academies from last season would be invited in, which would put us ahead of most. In theory it damages the competition because they're overlooking a well performing academy and allowing worse ones in.

The most insulting part is their continued insistence that there is some sort of player development aim in mind here, when actually the lads at Rovers are being denied the chance to challenge for this competition because they are at Blackburn Rovers and not a club where the first team is currently higher up.

Of course the competition is ludicrous and I'm relieved our first team isn't expected to be part of it, but the league really do disgust me with their decision making.

• Backroom

I seem to recall @Stuart making a point a month or two back about if they would be consistent and replace Sunderland like for like with us, that’s been answered at least 

It’s certainly a slap in the face for the club but maybe the case that our U23s have earned the right to play in the competition but our first team haven’t earned the right not to. Yet.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s certainly a slap in the face for the club but maybe the case that our U23s have earned the right to play in the competition but our first team haven’t earned the right not to. Yet.

Hmmm. I think that is the way the league are approaching it - that because we were competing in League One last season with our 'first' team playing in the Checkatrade that for some reason this puts us at the back of the queue for this season's entry to the Checkatrade, and they've gone through those clubs in the Premier League before getting round to those in the Championship who were in the Premier League last season. They must think that those clubs enhance the competition more than say Rovers or Reading U23s would.

However, I don't see what relevance it is whether the first XI is a top half Premier League club or bottom half Championship club. It makes no difference to how the U23s perform. Irrespective of how well a club did last season the development squads all adhere to the same criteria and so should be treated in isolation.

If they were admitting Premier League academies to try and enhance the competition or help young players develop then they should be including the best academies on merit, not those who are at the bigger or those currently better performing at first team level. It makes a mockery of it because Rovers and Reading for example performed better than several clubs and yet their youngsters aren't getting the same chance as say Stoke's and West Brom's youngsters who finished bottom of Group 2 last season. 

Edited by JHRover

You seem to have got the point and then dismissed it @JHRover.

Clubs are able to put their youngsters in as U21s by arguing that the competition is beneath their first team to take part. We all think ours is but the league will look at it that there are other clubs who have a better argument.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with how well our U23s are doing or what they are capable of. This grey area has come about because higher clubs will have threatened to play inferior sides and the organisers and sponsors won’t want the bad press. We should do the same. Play our U23s in it (as the first team) and if the league don’t like it, we blame the fixture pile up, and take the fine. Sadly, we are too scared or too skint to do so.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You seem to have got the point and then dismissed it @JHRover.

Clubs are able to put their youngsters in as U21s by arguing that the competition is beneath their first team to take part. We all think ours is but the league will look at it that there are other clubs who have a better argument.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with how well our U23s are doing or what they are capable of. This grey area has come about because higher clubs will have threatened to play inferior sides and the organisers and sponsors won’t want the bad press. We should do the same. Play our U23s in it (as the first team) and if the league don’t like it, we blame the fixture pile up, and take the fine. Sadly, we are too scared or too skint to do so.

I don't think that is the point. Whether you are in the Premier League or Championship ought to be irrelevant. Whether you are Man Utd (whose u23 side will be a division below ours next season) or Blackburn Rovers ought to be irrelevant. Every club with Category 1 academy status is on an even keel and has to meet the same minimum standards. Just because some clubs have more fans/money or have a stronger first team doesn't mean their academy is any better or more deserving than another.

I can begin to accept or understand a policy of starting with those clubs currently in the Premier League, then working down. That still doesn't explain how Stoke/WBA/Middlesbrough have been invited before us.

Why is there a better argument for WBA or Stoke to enter this competition than there is Rovers? Are their U23s better? No. Are their academies of a higher standing? No. So why are their kids more deserving of an opportunity in the Checkatrade trophy?

I think you're confusing the rules. This season we aren't in the Checkatrade as we are in the Championship. The only way we could participate is by entering the U23s which is what we did 2 years ago. Last season we had to participate with our 'first' team which is why we got the hybrid reserves/first team selection and Mowbray had to sit in the dugout. At that stage I agreed that we should treat the competition with contempt and field a weakened side. This season is different and we could participate with our excellent crop of young players having a chance to compete against League One and Two clubs with no impact whatsoever upon the first team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lenihan hard at work in Dublin. Jesus he looks extremely sharp 

Have very high hopes for Darragh.

Think he could be a revelation for us this season. Hope we get another central defender in so there is intense competition for places.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 June 2018 at 07:52, philipl said:

Have very high hopes for Darragh.

Think he could be a revelation for us this season. Hope we get another central defender in so there is intense competition for places.

What's the thinking regarding him playing in the Smallwood role if we do get a new centre half in ?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What's the thinking regarding him playing in the Smallwood role if we do get a new centre half in ?

Mowbray has mentioned Lenihan's pace and athleticism being a vital asset at the back as it allows the back 4 to push up the pitch. You can't do that with a back 4 of Downing and Charlie. Downing is a stopper who is good in the air but he is very slow on the turn. Watch the Bristol Rovers goal we conceded at home. Downing gets caught following his man to the halfway line and gets embarrassingly turned. Granted the lad is quick but there will be a lot of quick players in the Championship. Basically with Downing and Charlie at the back our defensive line wouldn't be far outside our own box and so we'd be stretched all over the pitch. If Lenihan is moved into midfield we would need to replace him with pace not just height.