BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

12 hours ago, DE. said:

It'a amazing (and an indictment on the quality of the Championship) that they stayed up last season in all honesty. 

Bolton's chairman is blaming the players (whilst admitting he's ignoring the amounts they're entitled to in their contracts) and saying they'll be punished. Can't see that ending well. 

I don't think you can blame the players - it would seem that this is hardly the first time it has happened under this new ownership. How many of us would accept not being paid on time from our employment? Yes they earn a lot of money but this is irrelevant, we all have mortgages and bills to pay and all expect our contracted monies to come to us when they should.

The gist of the statement from the players is that it is more the fact that players are not being paid and nothing is even being said to them from the club about it.

Punished? Now that is laughable, punishing players for not fulfilling their contractual duties when you have not fulfilled yours by paying them their salary?

15 hours ago, DE. said:

It'a amazing (and an indictment on the quality of the Championship) that they stayed up last season in all honesty. 

Bolton's chairman is blaming the players (whilst admitting he's ignoring the amounts they're entitled to in their contracts) and saying they'll be punished. Can't see that ending well. 

I think Ken Anderson, is a chancer, who blames everyone, but himself, when things go wrong. I can see them having some serious problems this year. Last year was bad enough.

Some are saying it is just Ben Amos and a bonus payment only, which would be odd for a whole team to strike for one player that was out on loan last season. Others are saying it was two players who have not received a wage for June and that the whole squad has not been paid their bonuses for last season.  I think the latter sounds more plausible in forcing the team to strike and apparently similar happened last season.

All being told, all does not seem well in their camp.

Is it normal practice for Clubs to pay large bonuses simply for not being relegated? I'd have thought that should be taken as read and the bare minimum that should be expected. No wonder they're in trouble if That's what they've been doing.

Bonuses for promotion or wage cut in the event of relegation maybe. But not bonuses for staying up!

• Moderation Lead

If the squad haven’t been paid, then it’s bang out of order. Simple as, really. 

It seems like this isn’t an isolated incident, either. Saw a few comments from fans querying why players haven’t been paid when they’ve had the money from the sale of Madine etc as well. In any event, I can’t stand that lot and they were happy enough to dance on our grave, so balls to them.

• Like 3

On 08/07/2018 at 20:28, RevidgeBlue said:

Is it normal practice for Clubs to pay large bonuses simply for not being relegated? I'd have thought that should be taken as read and the bare minimum that should be expected. No wonder they're in trouble if That's what they've been doing.

Bonuses for promotion or wage cut in the event of relegation maybe. But not bonuses for staying up!

Yes it is. They had just been promoted so I guess this was their target. 

49 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yes it is. They had just been promoted so I guess this was their target. 

Ludicrous. It's an open invitation for the players to knock off for the season early if they were to reach relative safety by say the end of January.

Plus, not being relegated should go without saying and there's no massive financial benefit to the the Club in scraping survival.

It's a bit like Having a normal job and being told "Don't make a massive cock up which will bankrupt us and you'll get a huge bonus". (Which might).

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ludicrous. It's an open invitation for the players to knock off for the season early if they were to reach relative safety by say the end of January.

Plus, not being relegated should go without saying and there's no massive financial benefit to the the Club in scraping survival.

It's a bit like Having a normal job and being told "Don't make a massive cock up which will bankrupt us and you'll get a huge bonus". (Which might).

Well, they might have had structured bonuses the better they managed to do. 

Not every club will reward players with a bonus for avoiding relegation but in this case it is quite obvious it was their minimum target having just got promoted and they barely managed to put a squad together. They only just managed to stay up too.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That last sentence whilst extreme isn’t far from normal business practice.

A lot professionals in any industry have bonuses, they are even referred to as OTB - on target bonus. You meet your targets and get your standard bonus, do better and get more do slightly worse than expectations and often still get a bonus amount.

If survival was the aim for Bolton last season you would expect there would be bonuses as such, bigger bonuses would have kicked in if stretch targets were met.

It seems daft in the mega money world of football granted but it’s not unusual.

On 08/07/2018 at 13:28, RevidgeBlue said:

If we got promoted to the Premiership, would you think it acceptable that the players have a clause that rewards them for staying up? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we got promoted to the Premiership, would you think it acceptable that the players have a clause that rewards them for staying up? 

No. That should be taken as read.

Their basic wage should reflect the fact they are Premiership players and they should be remunerated accordingly. If however they fail to achieve that and get relegated then the contracts should allow for a pay cut.

Paying bonuses for merely doing the absolute bare minimum which is acceptable doesn't appear to have been a sensible policy for Bolton as they seem to be in all kinds of trouble.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No. That should be taken as read.

Their basic wage should reflect the fact they are Premiership players and they should be remunerated accordingly. If however they fail to achieve that and get relegated then the contracts should allow for a pay cut.

Paying bonuses for merely doing the absolute bare minimum which is acceptable doesn't appear to have been a sensible policy for Bolton as they seem to be in all kinds of trouble.

Perhaps not in Boltons case, but if we went up, I would have no problem with the players having such a bonus structure. In the first season back up at least 

I suppose it's about the aims of the organisation and 'what success looks like'.

Rovers, just like Bolton will want to avoid League 1 again at all costs. The Championship is leaving it further behind each passing year. So I can certainly understand why they would offer bonuses.

Doesn't strike of big ambition, but there you go.

Tweet from Skybet Championship official asking for predictions on who will win it, get in play offs and who will be relegated , only a couple of people predicting relegation for us (actually a couple more but they are bitter Dingles), two or three tipping us for the play offs

Link to Tweet and replies

Edited by perthblue02

4 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Tweet from Skybet Championship official asking for predictions on who will win it, get in play offs and who will be relegated , only a couple of people predicting relegation for us (actually a couple more but they are bitter Dingles), two or three tipping us for the play offs

We will be closer to 6th than 24th. 

A lot predicting play-offs.... Surprising. Now if we sign Baeur, Armstrong, Chapman and Maddison....

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

I think Boro and Stoke will go up and WBA through Playoffs. 

Ipswich, Rotherham and Wigan go dowm

Think its impossible at this early stage to be making such firm predictions to be honest.

Looking at Rovers, the squad weve got now is considerably weaker than last seasons (no Armstrong, Chapman, Payne etc) but we will sign players so its a moot point. If we didnt wed probably go down. But we will.

Stoke obviously have a settled defence, an experienced manager, Afobes a good signing and Etebo looks a decent player, bit of a World Cup revelation, they dont have any flair or width once Shaqiri leaves so that needs sorting.

They look better than the other 2 relegated teams, Swansea havent done anything bar lose Fabianski and Ki, West Brom seem to have a team of wantaways, you can never be sure how Moore will do, can see the front 2 leaving, big pressure on Burke to step up.

The traditional big clubs are a mixed bag, can see Villa struggling badly, Leeds have done nothing to back Bielsa, Forest have done some very interesting work in the transfer market, trying to replicate Wolves, spent big on Carvalho and Grabban will get plenty of goals. Can see them troubling the play offs.

Norwich have lost their 2 stars but Marshall, Rhodes, Leitner, Passlack etc represents a mix of proven Championship quality and highly rated foreign players, they might do quite well.

Can see QPR struggling with no money and a terrible manager, maybe they will drop to League 1. Also think Bolton will drop, surprised you didnt mention them @chaddyrovers adding Jason Lowe might be the final nail to an abject squad.

Ipswich will struggle but their managerial appointment is a shrewd one. Rotherham will struggle, think Wigan can stay up.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Think its impossible at this early stage to be making such firm predictions to be honest.

Looking at Rovers, the squad weve got now is considerably weaker than last seasons (no Armstrong, Chapman, Payne etc) but we will sign players so its a moot point. If we didnt wed probably go down. But we will.

Stoke obviously have a settled defence, an experienced manager, Afobes a good signing and Etebo looks a decent player, bit of a World Cup revelation, they dont have any flair or width once Shaqiri leaves so that needs sorting.

They look better than the other 2 relegated teams, Swansea havent done anything bar lose Fabianski and Ki, West Brom seem to have a team of wantaways, you can never be sure how Moore will do, can see the front 2 leaving, big pressure on Burke to step up.

The traditional big clubs are a mixed bag, can see Villa struggling badly, Leeds have done nothing to back Bielsa, Forest have done some very interesting work in the transfer market, trying to replicate Wolves, spent big on Carvalho and Grabban will get plenty of goals. Can see them troubling the play offs.

Norwich have lost their 2 stars but Marshall, Rhodes, Leitner, Passlack etc represents a mix of proven Championship quality and highly rated foreign players, they might do quite well.

Can see QPR struggling with no money and a terrible manager, maybe they will drop to League 1. Also think Bolton will drop, surprised you didnt mention them @chaddyrovers adding Jason Lowe might be the final nail to an abject squad.

Ipswich will struggle but their managerial appointment is a shrewd one. Rotherham will struggle, think Wigan can stay up.

My predictions are base on now and that's could change depending on what happens during the rest of the transfer window. 

I feel Pulis will have Boro up there in the top 2 and Stoke have a good squad but little unsure whether Rowett can take them up tbh. 

If WBA make the signings they are being linked with I can see them making playoffs at least. On Swansea. I  see that more of long term project of a couple of seasons before they challenge. maybe top 2 in season 19/20. lots of deadwood to clear out and signings to be made. 

Villa's chances are slim of promotion unless they keep some good players and who they buy. will Bruce stick around? I'm unsure. 

Leeds haven't back Bielsa so far. strange really. Also unsure on Karanka and whether he can get them promotion this season. 

I see QPR mid table tbh. good young players there with some experience. 

See Bolton staying up just again like last season. 21st. 

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wigan won't go down just as long as Cook is their manager.

Wigan have no money atm and are just looking at loans and frees. The takeover still hasn't happen and I would be questioning why not yet. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My predictions are base on now and that's could change depending on what happens during the rest of the transfer window. 

I feel Pulis will have Boro up there in the top 2 and Stoke have a good squad but little unsure whether Rowett can take them up tbh. 

If WBA make the signings they are being linked with I can see them making playoffs at least. On Swansea. I  see that more of long term project of a couple of seasons before they challenge. maybe top 2 in season 19/20. lots of deadwood to clear out and signings to be made. 

Villa's chances are slim of promotion unless they keep some good players and who they buy. will Bruce stick around? I'm unsure. 

Leeds haven't back Bielsa so far. strange really. Also unsure on Karanka and whether he can get them promotion this season. 

I see QPR mid table tbh. good young players there with some experience. 

See Bolton staying up just again like last season. 21st. 

Wigan have no money atm and are just looking at loans and frees. The takeover still hasn't happen and I would be questioning why not yet. 

Like him or loathe him Cook's a good manager at this level. He'll keep them up no problem.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces