BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

59 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Are people being serious?

If someone had said to me on the way to Doncaster, ‘promotion for Rovers or England win the World Cup’, I’d have assumed the questioner was talking the proverbial!

Enjoyed the run of Kane et al, but Blackburn Rovers is everything to me. Like most folk I don’t give England a second thought outside of a few weeks every second summer.

It’s sad that as a nation people have become so apathetic to the national side.

Being British or English used to stand for something.

Why? 

Proud of the country, but in no possible way does that extend to the national team over Rovers - as much as I think this summer’s been great and these binary ‘would you rather? are always a bit daft anyway.

Put it this way, it took me till August to get over Brentford, I was over Wednesday night by the time I’d got back through my front door.

I hadn’t watched an England match since Iceland up to the World Cup. So it just seems incredulous to me that proper Rovers fans would get more upset about England losing in the World Cup then say we lost a play off final. We know full well that we don’t ‘go for promotion every year’, so if we did fluke a charge this coming season, it would possibly be now or never and could transform our club for a generation, turn it down for England winning a tournament half way across the world? Seriously?

You honestly telling me Stuart, putting this fun summer to one side that you give the national team much thought on a regular basis? Unless I’ve got you totally wrong, you are a Rovers obsessive like me, so I can’t imagine the travails of the FA over the years has pained you like the sad demise of this football club? If it has and it has for others then fair enough, but it’s not something I can relate to.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

If you asked the Club v Country question on a ManUre mb the answer would be 'Who?', on a Liverpool mb 'we're not English'

Personally I have always wanted both to succeed and am one who has and does follow 'the travails' of the English FA with interest and often horror.

I'm still pretty devastated. I was convinced that despite not being the best team ever to grace the world stage fortune was for once smiling on us. I'd even been to Amroth on the day of the Columbia game where no member of my family has been since 1966 final day (gran, grandad, mother as a child). My grandad passed away last year and It was written in the stars to me due to my personal portents. I was utterly convinced that this was the time and we will NEVER get as close again in all our lifetimes (if you are older than 20). 

League fortunes wax and wane regularly over someone's lifetime unless you support Rochdale ? but the world cup to an Englishman is THE zenith. The unconquered summit. The ONE.

Edited by Rover_Shaun

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s sad that as a nation people have become so apathetic to the national side.

Being British or English used to stand for something.

It is not a case of that at all. 

Never seen England win the world cup , but I have never seen Rovers win the FA cup either , and I know which one I would prefer. 

Would England winning the WC benefit Rovers? apart from maybe a few extra at Ewood on the wave of football fever , probably not.

Personally I give the Football Association England team probably more interest and respect than the FA gave to one of their leagues founder members being raped and pillaged by one of their approved agents under full view of one of their old ties , think that is fair enough.

Not taking into account the previous  paragraph, it has always been Rovers first England second for me

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Like winning the league vs winning the FA cup.

One is a slog. Your bread & butter. Something that you invest all your time & emotional energy in. The other is a great few days out and some amazing memories, but you'd never take a good cup run vs league success.

It would've been brilliant if England won the world cup, the entire country would need a week off work. Ultimately though, Rovers doing well is something I've thought about for not far off every day of my life since I was in short trousers! No contest.

36 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

It is not a case of that at all. 

Never seen England win the world cup , but I have never seen Rovers win the FA cup either , and I know which one I would prefer. 

Would England winning the WC benefit Rovers? apart from maybe a few extra at Ewood on the wave of football fever , probably not.

Personally I give the Football Association England team probably more interest and respect than the FA gave to one of their leagues founder members being raped and pillaged by one of their approved agents under full view of one of their old ties , think that is fair enough.

Not taking into account the previous  paragraph, it has always been Rovers first England second for me

Widening the jumpers again though mate.

The question as I answered it was ‘would you prefer England to win a World Cup or Rovers to win a promotion’?

I’ve never seen England win a World Cup and it’s hugely likely that I never will. I’ve seen Rovers win promotion three times.

Seems to have turned into a complete club v country debate.

It’s not promotion because it’s an achievement itself, it’s for the good and growth of the club.

If we’d not got out of League 1 quickly then who knows when we would. A promotion this season could be completely transformational - look at that lot down the M65. 

If potty Rovers fans like you Stu would rather England win a cup then see Rovers say win at Wembley for a return to the Premier League, then I really am shocked - now if it was World Cup or League Cup, that’s a real choice to make (still Rovers for me, though).

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It’s not promotion because it’s an achievement itself, it’s for the good and growth of the club.

If we’d not got out of League 1 quickly then who knows when we would. A promotion this season could be completely transformational - look at that lot down the M65. 

If potty Rovers fans like you Stu would rather England win a cup then see Rovers say win at Wembley for a return to the Premier League, then I really am shocked - now if it was World Cup or League Cup, I could see the merits in your argument (still Rovers for me, though).

Last season we were playing for the very survival of the club. Another bad season and who knows we're we would be now. England can go again next time and the time after etc for ever.

You need to get a sense of perspective.  It's a game. In 1966 we didn't a week off work after the Final. It was old news on the Monday and we got on with normal life pretty quickly. We seem to make a massive deal out of everything these days.

I look at like this, what would you prefer - those kids in Thailand getting out of that cave or England winning the World Cup ? If they'd have died that would have been a tragedy. England losing to Croatia at football ? Come on, it's a bloody game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Widening the jumpers again though mate.

The question as I answered it was ‘would you prefer England to win a World Cup or Rovers to win a promotion’?

I’ve never seen England win a World Cup and it’s hugely likely that I never will. I’ve seen Rovers win promotion three times.

Seems to have turned into a complete club v country debate.

oh ok, with regards to the question , Rovers promotion for me every time.

Would be more benefitial* to the club than England winning the World Cup

*under normal circumstances

On 31/05/2018 at 13:41, ossyian said:

So did Bobby Charlton (twice or thrice the player Lampard was),  Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst, Alan Ball, Brian Kidd etc etc. An international footballer does not always = great manager!

My memory may be clouded but it seems to me top top players don't often do well in management.  I think Lampard will fail.

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

If potty Rovers fans like you Stu would rather England win a cup then see Rovers say win at Wembley for a return to the Premier League, then I really am shocked - now if it was World Cup or League Cup, that’s a real choice to make (still Rovers for me, though).

I am equally shocked that you wouldn’t want England to win the World Cup.

[moves goalposts to match opposition]

Club football has ups and downs, the World Cup is something else. There have only been 12 in my lifetime and 21 in total.

• Like 1

I would, sure it would be a great night.

But if someone said to me (God I presume?), ‘you never see an England World Cup win in your lifetime, but I put Rovers back in the Premier League  for it instead’, I’d snap his celestial hand off.

Just now, Stuart said:

I am equally shocked that you wouldn’t want England to win the World Cup.

[moves goalposts to match opposition]

Club football has ups and downs, the World Cup is something else. There have only been 12 in my lifetime and 21 in total.

I hope that you get to see an England WC win Stuart.

I saw '66, and have never forgotten that day and I often think back to it. Youtube is great for such recall.

It took years before improved technology could give a view on Hurst's 2nd goal, by which time the original film had obviously been 'got at'.....<_<

But if someone said to me (God I presume?), ‘you never see an England World Cup win in your lifetime, are but I put Rovers back in the Premier League  for it instead’, I’d snap his celestial hand off.

I00% agree Matt. England doing well is a nice and unexpected bonus. If they lose it's "hey ho".

Rovers is what really matters and what has you kicking the proverbial cat about the house when things are going badly.

But if someone said to me (God I presume?), ‘you never see an England World Cup win in your lifetime, but I put Rovers back in the Premier League  for it instead’, I’d snap his celestial hand off.

You can’t keep widening the target area or we’ll soon be playing rugby!

However Rovers “in the PL” ahead of England winning the World Cup?? I think one of us needs to lay off the beer.

Just now, Stuart said:

You can’t keep widening the target area or we’ll soon be playing rugby!

However Rovers “in the PL” ahead of England winning the World Cup?? I think one of us needs to lay off the beer.

I must be missing these goals entirely, tell me what the question is and I’ll answer it.

But to answer the question I see. Yes, abso-bloody-lutely Rovers in the PL over the World Cup. 

Think a fun few weeks has gone to a few heads, I’d hardly read an international post on here until a month ago, the World Cup thread was tumbleweed, not exactly full of anticipation for the pinnacle of the game for Rovers fans that is supposedly the World Cup, I’d hardly met anybody who had the slightest interest in international football until a month ago, now I’m meant to believe that we should prefer it to the club we pour our heart and soul into?

To quote you Stuart - ‘nah!’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1