BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

4 hours ago, Paul said:

You're capable of better responses than this Stuart, though I'm not surprised by your reaction these days. In my immediate family I'm English, everyone else qualifies for British, Ukranian and Italian passports and citizenship, so we have a broad outlook on life.

As for shrugging off a win? My most recent experience is about 12 hours. I've been in Nice and Marseille since France won the World Cup. Fantastic celebrations in Nice from about 30 minutes after full time. We were present off and on for five hours - I'd estimate 1% to be football fans. By 1.00am it had quietened down considerably. By 8.00am Monday nothing in Nice to suggest France were winners, by the time we hit Marseille at 1.00pm Monday again no indication France are World Champions. All the flags, bunting etc. gone.

You're apparently happy to sacrifice Rovers promotion and possible prosperity for at most 7-8 hours driving around hanging out of car windows, tooting horns and waving flags. That's how long it lasts given my direct experience this week. Given the straight choice the question asked I'm not. I'd have been pleased if England had won, not that we were close to good enough, but sacrifice promotion? Never. 

Blimey Paul. You took your time with that reply. Must do better with your insults though, Old Bean.

You REALLY think that England winning the World Cup is about 7-8 hours of flags, horns and a bit of bunting? If that's a genuine opinion then we really are viewing this very very differently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Blimey Paul. You took your time with that reply. Must do better with your insults though, Old Bean.

You REALLY think that England winning the World Cup is about 7-8 hours of flags, horns and a bit of bunting? If that's a genuine opinion then we really are viewing this very very differently.

Stuart I know your game. I haven’t posted in weeks apart from a brief WC post but you’re quoting me immediately. If I wanted to insult you, which I don’t, it would be very clear.

Took my time? I’m on holiday enjoying Marseille. In an idle moment I thought I’d pop in here to see what was happening - no change I see. TDF has just finished.

If you feel winning the World Cup gives more than a bit of short term fun please enjoy it. Unfortunately recent history shows most sporting success doesn’t have tangible legacy benefits. If it did we’d have 27000 at Ewood every week. 

Edited by Paul

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

In 1966 it lasted while about midnight on the Saturday. Sunday it was business as usual.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

If you feel winning the World Cup gives more than a bit of short term fun please enjoy it. Unfortunately recent history shows most sporting success doesn’t have tangible legacy benefits. If it did we’d have 27000 at Ewood every week. 

Like I said Paul, clearly we view this very differently.

Maybe you look at it differently than me because England have already won the WC in your lifetime. Or maybe you genuinely don’t feel any affiliation to the national team. Or feel any pride in the historical achievement.

Comparing England winning the World Cup to a bit of bunting is like comparing a wedding to a bit of a party once.

Glad you know my game though. Very reassuring.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In 1966 it lasted while about midnight on the Saturday. Sunday it was business as usual.

Yep! I was celebrating Saturday night in Trafalgar square with a few hundred others. Climbed as far up Nelson's Column as I could and then down again!

Quite boring really!

On Villa. They are losing 5 million per month

The latest from the Birmingham Mail: “Villa need a cash injection before the weekend as owner Tony Xia’s problems continue to mount.

“Money needs to be raised by Friday to pay this month’s tax bill on time, but the embattled chairman is close to exhausting his loan options.

“Selling either Jack Grealish or James Chester would paper over the cracks in the short-term as Villa continue to lose around £5m a month.”

Do players still get paid? It sounds desperate but people like Bruce are still hanging in there with large wages.

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On Villa. They are losing 5 million per month

The latest from the Birmingham Mail: “Villa need a cash injection before the weekend as owner Tony Xia’s problems continue to mount.

“Money needs to be raised by Friday to pay this month’s tax bill on time, but the embattled chairman is close to exhausting his loan options.

“Selling either Jack Grealish or James Chester would paper over the cracks in the short-term as Villa continue to lose around £5m a month.”

Talking to a friend in China,  Tony Xia is a bit of a mystery,  no one knows who he is, unlike the Wolves owners Fosun who are a giant mutli multi billion pound company,  I even did a tiny bit of work for them myself.   There's been a big crackdown on people transferring money abroad as the government is trying to stop money laundering.

Well we play you in the opening round of games, bit belated I know (since fixtures were announced) but now is as good a time as any.  

Opening weekend is always a bit poignant no matter who you support as you can look back at previous years and there's always special memories along the way.    Hopefully the weather should be satisfactory on the day and for those who haven't travelled to our ground before (well there has to be some) it can be awkward / time consuming to enter and leave during match days.     Ipswich isn't the easiest place to get to or out of on the UK mainland.

Blackburn should be a good test for the new manager and whatever players we start with,  you just seen a promotion and will be eager to make a strong start back at the second level.    There are one or two doubts with our players as who may be leaving before the time of game but Bialkowski has signed a new contract which is welcome news for us, he is arguably one of the top goalkeepers outside of the premier league.

I don't know what to expect with Paul Hurst.   He arrived in something of a guessing capacity and other than his 'achievements' at his former club many are in the dark as to what we can really expect.    I don't expect a promotion, it's too soon after the appointment, but understand we are the longest serving residents of the championship league (2002 - )  and I for one have had nearly enough of failing to make it back and a succession of inept sub-standard managerial names and seasonal performances.

It should be a good game when it arrives, I hope Blackburn bring a good number of fans down despite any travel issues.      It's very rarely we sell out and last season saw too many instances of a half empty stadium.    20,000 + would represent an adequate turn out,  (and) would hope to win obviously.  ?

Just now, not exactly Scarface said:

Well we play you in the opening round of games, bit belated I know (since fixtures were announced) but now is as good a time as any.  

Opening weekend is always a bit poignant no matter who you support as you can look back at previous years and there's always special memories along the way.    Hopefully the weather should be satisfactory on the day and for those who haven't travelled to our ground before (well there has to be some) it can be awkward / time consuming to enter and leave during match days.     Ipswich isn't the easiest place to get to or out of on the UK mainland.

Blackburn should be a good test for the new manager and whatever players we start with,  you just seen a promotion and will be eager to make a strong start back at the second level.    There are one or two doubts with our players as who may be leaving before the time of game but Bialkowski has signed a new contract which is welcome news for us, he is arguably one of the top goalkeepers outside of the premier league.

I don't know what to expect with Paul Hurst.   He arrived in something of a guessing capacity and other than his 'achievements' at his former club many are in the dark as to what we can really expect.    I don't expect a promotion, it's too soon after the appointment, but understand we are the longest serving residents of the championship league (2002 - )  and I for one have had nearly enough of failing to make it back and a succession of inept sub-standard managerial names and seasonal performances.

It should be a good game when it arrives, I hope Blackburn bring a good number of fans down despite any travel issues.      It's very rarely we sell out and last season saw too many instances of a half empty stadium.    20,000 + would represent an adequate turn out,  (and) would hope to win obviously.  ?

We know all about Hurst :) He was our nemesis for a large part of last season. A bit of a calculated gamble of an appointment. Is he been given any money to spend? 

Just now, not exactly Scarface said:

He had Shrewsbury incredibly fit and organised last year, but I'd be surprised if you get a more exciting brand of football than with McCarthy. Says what he thinks as well - remember him having a go at the supporters for not turning out a couple of times. A real unknown quantity tbh but best of luck in every game but ours.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We know all about Hurst :) He was our nemesis for a large part of last season. A bit of a calculated gamble of an appointment. Is he been given any money to spend? 

What from Marcus Evans ?     He wouldn't give a starving mouse a piece of cheese..

No, there may be money to spend - Waghorn is at this moment question to a number of high profile bids and rumour from other clubs but the directors are resolute he won't be going anywhere unless the bids are upped to something like 8- 10 million.

Which won't happen.     Waghorn is a good player and reliable forward but if someone is prepared to pay the eight figure number the club are holding out for I'd be very surprised.  

But then it's not all about money.     We put together a team in the early 1980's that was one of Europe's best.    That was largely in part to a fine team ethic, player and manager harmony and players aware of their potential and utilising their abilities.       If the 2018 class can replicate that mindset and belief in the season ahead then we'll have half a chance of accomplishing something. 

But Yes Evans should invest, not everyone's flavour of the month.   To say he has the best interests of the club at heart is - to all intents and purposes - a very shallow statement.

• Like 1

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/07/20/club-statement-investment-in-aston-villa?view=amp#click=https://t.co/9noikPfXMf

villa found an amazing lifeline. Apparently two new billionaires to pump funds

Great news for Villa, pleased for them. Maybe not this season but they will be back in the PL soon.

Meanwhile we are chicken fodder.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Great news for Villa, pleased for them. Maybe not this season but they will be back in the PL soon.

Meanwhile we are chicken fodder.

You  overestimate  our  status ARA .. we have gone through the motions of fodder and are now the plain old chicken sh..

• Like 1

So Villa's impending crisis and disaster looks set to be avoided by the arrival of one of Africa's richest men and an American multi-millionaire.

I called it that nothing seriously bad would happen to Villa.

So far no financial disaster, no FFP sanctions, no embargo and apart from the likely sale of Grealish no major departures.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

So Villa's impending crisis and disaster looks set to be avoided by the arrival of one of Africa's richest men and an American multi-millionaire.

So far no financial disaster, no FFP sanctions, no embargo and apart from the likely sale of Grealish no major departures.

Now, now nobody likes a bragger. You called it, but you had zero idea that this would happen today. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Now, now nobody likes a bragger. You called it, but you had zero idea that this would happen today. 

No, but I expected some sort of development that would see them get off the hook rather than suffer disaster. Merely pointing out that all those predicting disaster at Villa may well, as expected, have got ahead of themselves. Many were waiting for Villa to become an example of what happens if you spend massive amounts and fail, yet it seems the answer is going to be not very much apart from one rich owner gives way to another. 

Clubs like Villa are too big to fail now - they aren’t too far away from a promotion team and the vast riches it brings, plus they are a big city club etc. Investors will see an opportunity for a good deal.

It happened to Leeds about 10/15 years too early.

Edited by Mattyblue

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

How do Villa get a mega rich owner and then when staring into the potential jaws of oblivion they get backing from not 1 but 2 billionaires?

And we get Venkys, f***ing Venkys!

F**k football!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

How do Villa get a mega rich owner and then when staring into the potential jaws of oblivion they get backing from not 1 but 2 billionaires?

F**k football!

Why? Because Venkys won’t sell.

You do wonder where it will end for Rovers.

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

F**k football!

Who is to blame? The handsitters who wouldnt protest in case it hurt their wittwe wovers.  If enough people had made a fuss things would be different...you reap what you sow.  Yet some people now have forgiven them for getting themselves a quarter of the way out of a mess venkyscum made.  Never forget..never forgive.

• Like 1