BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Reading have been the better side by far but the first few games rarely indicate how teams are going to progress through the season. Very surprised by how poor derby have been. Barrow has been quality and I said at the time it was unbelievable we didn't play him more. No vydra for derby ?. Reading look like they can create but will struggle to score goals

• Backroom

I'm far from convinced Lampard will be a success at Derby, but to be honest part of me hopes he is, if only because it might help assure other clubs that you can take a chance on inexperienced managers and succeed. Obviously if there's an experienced, recently successful manager available then that should always be the club's first choice, but if Lampard being a success helps break the merry-go-round of failed managers like Coyle taking post after post then I'm all for that. 

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

I firmly believe Lampard is going to be an a abject failure, said so when they hired him.  Gone by Xmas.

Won his first game though.

I’m torn personally. Same with Gerrard. They will both have incredible support networks you can be sure of that. It will come down to their own personal hunger and desire, and the tactical abilities of their number two. And of course results in the short term.

It’s not often any more that the top English players become managers - certainly not successful ones.

The most recent successful players-turned-managers off the top of my head are all non-English...

Dalglish

Souness

Mark Hughes (kind of)

Guardiola

Zidane

Deschamps

Beckenbauer

Ancellotti

Cruyff

The only Englishman I can think of racking my brain is Brian Clough. Ironically, the best manager England never had, who never got the chance because of the politics (and fear) within the crumblies at the F.A.

History backs you up though as it suggests that ex-England players don’t do all that well in management: Barnes, Ince, Adams, Neville, Gascoigne, Shearer, Southgate. Probably Ince and now Southgate being the best of a very bad bunch. It’s probably because they have had so much smoke blown up their backsides all through their careers that, one, they believe their own hype, two, they were naturally gifted and can’t cope with failure, and, three, they don’t have the staying power and determination required to stick at it and work even when things go badly and something they aren’t so gifted at.

They were fit and supremely gifted footballers but their grey matter and ability to turn what they could do so easily into what others could do was lacking. (Roy Keane once said as much). Management and especially man-management and tactical astuteness requires a totally different set of skills that, even if they were a captain, they don’t have. It does make me wonder what some of the older generation had that the modern day footballer doesn’t. Money, loyalty and a belief that they haven’t really done anything until they have won a competition no matter what their contemporaries say?

P.S. The other one that nearly did it and should probably be higher than Ince is Kevin Keegan. He just didn’t deserve to be in the list with those chumps).

P.P.S. Steve Bruce should have been the other success story but again he was, astonishingly, never picked for England. So maybe it is a curse!

TLDR: England players are jinxed when it comes to management.

I think Lampard will be fine if given time. And when I say fine, I mean a perfectly serviceable manager at this level.

Would still like to see him struggle a bit though, the rhetoric coming from Match of The Day types was that he was taking a step down and starting in a pub league!

Interesting the difference in approach between Rovers and Wigan in terms of recruitment. L1 champions last season are now 3-1 up in their opening game and had three new players starting and three on the bench. Even they felt they had to strengthen

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very surprise that Bolton won at West Brom. 

I'm not. Idiotic decision to keep Moore on and if they don't rectify it soon they'll pay the price and may be stuck in the Championship for a long time. 

• Like 2