BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Wilder and Smith would be the obvious candidates but would either leave mid-season after doing so well with their current clubs?

Brentford are a good side after seeing us versus them, they have some good players in key areas and play some nice stuff.

I think Wilder is a Sheff Utd fan as well as being their manager. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

A Lucas Joao double has given Sheffield Wednesday a 2-1 win at Ashton Gate and we slip to tenth, a point and three goals off 6th. 

So what ! We also won this week-end. celebrate when given the opportunity.

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

Well for me the way the statement was phrased, I am positive it was negative. 

It looked pretty balanced to me. The last part was a positive given how close we still are to 6th. We’ve hardly had a great start to the season but we are still in touch.

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rumour is that Thierry Henry is likely to be the next Villa manager, with John Terry as his assistant. Huge gamble. Give me McCarthy or Bruce any day over that. 

I’d love to see just one of these ex players interested in management be give a player manager role before they finish. They know the club inside out and if they have what it takes they should be able to make their mark there with the existing infrastructure. Too often these days the incumbent manager is dismissed along with most of the backroom team.

Some will say it’s too big a job but did it get any bigger than when Kenny did it at Liverpool? They were a massive club then - far bigger than City and Chelsea, even in today’s terms.

And yes, I know Kenny was special.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

It looked pretty balanced to me. The last part was a positive given how close we still are to 6th. We’ve hardly had a great start to the season but we are still in touch.

To tell you the truth I think we have had a great start to the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

To tell you the truth I think we have had a great start to the season.

I can only say points wise we've exceeded my expectations. Playing wise there have been times when we've looked really good and worthy of being a contender for the play-offs. Other times we've looked a bit ropey. If all our games had have finished after 85 minutes we'd be looking really good.

22 hours ago, philipl said:

A Lucas Joao double has given Sheffield Wednesday a 2-1 win at Ashton Gate and we slip to tenth, a point and three goals off 6th. 

Thought he looked highly promising when he was on loan here during the relegation season, shame how things turned out.

Also, why on Earth would you replace Bruce with Moyes? What exactly would he do differently than the last regime? 

1 minute ago, Commondore said:

Thought he looked highly promising when he was on loan here during the relegation season, shame how things turned out.

Also, why on Earth would you replace Bruce with Moyes? What exactly would he do differently than the last regime? 

Hes the kind of player you dont want when you need to roll up your sleeves. He sauntered through games and often appeared like he couldnt be bothered, and ended the season out of the team. Think hes in and out at Wednesday too from what Ive seen.

Henry seems the favourite. Will be interesting to see the fan reaction if and when a big name such as Henry comes in when they lose a couple.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ive seen Rodgers and Martinez linked with the Villa job

Sky Sports and their friends have been in overdrive today linking various people with the Villa job. I suspect they're trying to stir up the betting market again after Henry looked to be nailed on yesterday, especially as they enter a 2 week break for the internationals.

Can't begin to imagine why either of those would leave very cushy numbers with Celtic and Belgium to drop into the bottom half of the Championship.

I don't rate either of those managers. Neither knows how to organise a defence which is Villa's biggest issue. I'll repeat yesterday's statement. Give me Mick McCarthy or Steve Bruce for a Championship promotion push over Henry, Rodgers or Martinez.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

• Backroom
5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sky Sports and their friends have been in overdrive today linking various people with the Villa job. I suspect they're trying to stir up the betting market again after Henry looked to be nailed on yesterday, especially as they enter a 2 week break for the internationals.

Can't begin to imagine why either of those would leave very cushy numbers with Celtic and Belgium to drop into the bottom half of the Championship.

Agreed, it would be a bizarre move, especially with such huge pressure. Villa basically have to get promoted this season or it'll be cost cutting to the extreme in the summer as FFP sanctions are supposed to kick in, and I don't see how Villa are going to be able to avoid being sanctioned. Much more likely that they'll be hiring a newcomer with nothing to lose or an experienced manager out of work who's at the last chance saloon - Henry and Moyes seem like the most obvious candidates, for whatever reason McCarthy doesn't seem to be in the running at all and I can't see Allardyce taking this one.

It always surprises me (even though I'm aware of it) how competitive the Championship is.

We've not had that many wins yet we're equal on points with play offs. I've also been struck by the number of games we should have either won or lost that have ended up draws - it's a very tight league. The fact only 2 teams have won over half their games is further evidence of this.

In light of the current conversations re: Villa this means they're really going to have to get it right, there's no margin for error. Forget missing out on going up, a wrong appointment and any team could find itself near the bottom. Even the teams I thought were much weaker than us have been picking up the odd win of late. Any Championship club this season is a bad appointment away from getting relegated imo.

58 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It always surprises me (even though I'm aware of it) how competitive the Championship is.

We've not had that many wins yet we're equal on points with play offs. I've also been struck by the number of games we should have either won or lost that have ended up draws - it's a very tight league. The fact only 2 teams have won over half their games is further evidence of this.

In light of the current conversations re: Villa this means they're really going to have to get it right, there's no margin for error. Forget missing out on going up, a wrong appointment and any team could find itself near the bottom. Even the teams I thought were much weaker than us have been picking up the odd win of late. Any Championship club this season is a bad appointment away from getting relegated imo.

The top teams are on low points totals. Usually after 12 games and 36 points available you would expect at least one team to be pushing 30 points or more yet Sheffield United sit top on 25 which is just over 2 points a game. Decent but not exactly trailblazing. They've also lost more games than we have so far and have conceded more than a goal a game.

Looking at the bottom clubs nobody is really adrift. With 1 win in 12 you would expect Ipswich to be marooned yet they are well in the mix in that bottom group.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The top teams are on low points totals. Usually after 12 games and 36 points available you would expect at least one team to be pushing 30 points or more yet Sheffield United sit top on 25 which is just over 2 points a game. Decent but not exactly trailblazing. They've also lost more games than we have so far and have conceded more than a goal a game.

Looking at the bottom clubs nobody is really adrift. With 1 win in 12 you would expect Ipswich to be marooned yet they are well in the mix in that bottom group.

Yes that is the crazy thing, Preston too have only won 1 (I think) yet are not down and out either.

People talk about the excitement of the Premiership, but manure and dingle struggles aside it's pretty much as you'd expect and not that entertaining. Contrast it with the closeness of the Championship and the most entertaining league in the world claim rings rather hollow. (Not to be confused with the quality/talent of the individual footballers, just the unexpected nature and intrigue of the championship is far superior.)

• Like 1