BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Must be the most drawn out takeover in history been imminent for months

Yeah it's been mooted since April. £22m seems fairly reasonable for a small Championship club. What a Hong Kong company would want with a team like Wigan is another story. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

£22 million for a Championship/League 1 club with average crowds of 8,000.

What were Premier League stalwarts Blackburn Rovers sold for again?

In or around the same  if I recall correctly. When you see Villa being sold for 80 million, you would wonder what comes into the valuations. Not recent trophies anyway 

• Backroom

If the Walker Trust had waited a couple of years they could have sold us for much, much more. They really did sell at the wrong time. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but at the same time it was clear even in 2010 that PL rights fees were only going to go up. I remember even at the time people were surprised at how little we'd been given away for.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

If the Walker Trust had waited a couple of years they could have sold us for much, much more. They really did sell at the wrong time. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but at the same time it was clear even in 2010 that PL rights fees were only going to go up. I remember even at the time people were surprised at how little we'd been given away for.

Really poor deal..

The Walker family didnt need to sell but they didnt listen to the right people. 

I dont understand why Battersby and Currie didnt buy the club then. 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

£22 million for a Championship/League 1 club with average crowds of 8,000.

What were Premier League stalwarts Blackburn Rovers sold for again?

The going rate at the time Matty?

The Trust owed is nothing, you sell the club to the highest bidder, like selling your house.....

Ive never understood the moaning and groaning about the deal, the Pune rats bought the club and it was sold in good faith.

Considering the playing staff alone were probably worth more than the selling price, nevermind the club’s assets tells me they were caught with their pants down. Just shows how short sighted it was when TV revenues were rising exponentially.

Watford, WATFORD!! are now valued at £350 million.

Makes no odds to us, £20 or £200 million doesn’t mean a takeover will work out any better, but it serves those idiot Walkers right.

Edited by Mattyblue

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

The going rate at the time Matty?

The Trust owed is nothing, you sell the club to the highest bidder, like selling your house.....

Ive never understood the moaning and groaning about the deal, the Pune rats bought the club and it was sold in good faith.

The clue is in the name. 'Trust' suggests there was a bit more to the whole thing than just selling the club to the first/highest bidder without a care in the world. My understanding of a Trust, or at least the one that Jack Walker set up, is that there was a bit more thought behind it and a bit more due diligence as the people involved were under an obligation to ensure that the best decision and course of action for the football club was followed, not necessarily the one that saved them the most money as quickly as possible. 

Fairly sure Jack Walker said that the profits from his other businesses would be used towards funding the club into the future. Not necessarily a business decision that the accountants would have been keen on but those were his instructions.

The Trust have blood on their hands, and the small consolation is one or two of them might go to bed at night wondering how much more they could have pocketed had they held on for a few more years and sold the club now for hundreds of millions like smaller clubs than ours are valued at these days. Not so clever after all.

• Like 1

It's certainly galling that fourth division clubs such as Bournemouth and Watford are making multimillion pound profits and are valued in the hundreds of millions while we languish in the lower echelons up to our eyeballs in debt. But more to the point - what is Burnley FC worth now compared to us ? 

I see that Dean Smith has been appointed at Villa, a sensible choice compared to the likes of Henry and Faria. 

That said, I'm presuming that the new sporting director was not hand picked by the manager, and John Terry is a strange assistant. Surely you let him bring his own assistant rather than forcing Terry on him. If he hadnt have played his last and an ultimately failed season there then obviously he wouldnt be near that role now.

• Like 1

Aston Villa FC‏Verified account @AVFCOfficial

FollowFollow @AVFCOfficial

More

We are delighted to announce the appointments of Dean Smith as our new Head Coach, John Terry as Assistant Coach and Jesus Garcia Pitarch as Sporting Director

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1050129024721272839

Edited by perthblue02

• Backroom

Smith is in theory a good choice as manager. Sir Lionheart of England as assistant I can only see causing problems. He's an insidious character and will be looking for a way to take the top spot before too long. No idea who the Sporting Director is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Smith is in theory a good choice as manager. Sir Lionheart of England as assistant I can only see causing problems. He's an insidious character and will be looking for a way to take the top spot before too long. No idea who the Sporting Director is.

Sums it up well to me. Having Mr Self Interest as your number 2 is asking for trouble. I'm sure we can all write the script now - question is whether it happens in this season, next or the one after that. Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas, Smith agreeing to Terry as assistant is an equally daft idea. 

And that's before we even consider his competence or lack thereof. His credentials for assistant manager really aren't that great either, excluding his suspect loyalties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

What was it John Williams used to say in the 2000s?

’you’ll never make money out of a Blackburn Rovers’

Bournemouth with their 10,000 crowds made a 14million profit last year .

Read somewhere that West Ham have sold 53000 season tickets!! Along with massive TV income you'd think that was a passport to Heaven. Yet, as you say, Bournemouth are mixing with the best. So could we!

Pretty happy with the Smith to Villa news. 

Put it this way, I expect Brentford will struggle to replace him easily and him going into Villa is unknown territory stuff, could be a masterstroke but could easily struggle under the weight of expectation and size of the club compared to plain sailing low pressure at Walsall and Brentford. 

Two weeks ago I wouldn't have fancied us to finish above either. Now I'm confident we can finish above both of them.

If I were a club wanting promotion as quickly as possible I'd be going with Bruce all day long, Smith is a big gamble seemingly built on the premise of the style he's delivered at Brentford (a club with a very unique set of conditions).

Be interesting to see who Brentford bring in. I suspect it won't be a big name, it will be someone to try and build on what Smith has done and a 'head coach'

Edited by JHRover

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Pretty happy with the Smith to Villa news. 

Put it this way, I expect Brentford will struggle to replace him easily and him going into Villa is unknown territory stuff, could be a masterstroke but could easily struggle under the weight of expectation and size of the club compared to plain sailing low pressure at Walsall and Brentford. 

Two weeks ago I wouldn't have fancied us to finish above either. Now I'm confident we can finish above both of them.

If I were a club wanting promotion as quickly as possible I'd be going with Bruce all day long, Smith is a big gamble seemingly built on the premise of the style he's delivered at Brentford (a club with a very unique set of conditions).

Be interesting to see who Brentford bring in. I suspect it won't be a big name, it will be someone to try and build on what Smith has done and a 'head coach'

Their fans seem to think it'll be an internal appointment. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

It's certainly galling that fourth division clubs such as Bournemouth and Watford are making multimillion pound profits and are valued in the hundreds of millions while we languish in the lower echelons up to our eyeballs in debt. But more to the point - what is Burnley FC worth now compared to us ? 

I would suspect around £150m  -  £180m, but relegation would obviously impact severely on that figure...although we are debt free ..

I would doubt Watford and Bournemouth would be worth that much more, Bournemouth especially in view of their Ground and their proposals to move to a new Stadium. I can see the case for Villa & Leeds being move valuable in view of their potential, though. Mike Ashley turned down a bid of £250m for Newcastle last December, holding out for between £300m - £350m, if you believe Press reports ...

As for Rovers, it would depend on how much of the £152,250,000 that Venkys have put into the Club they were prepared to write off .... without that happening, there's no likelihood of a change in ownership any time soon, I suspect ! ??

Good appointment by Villa. Smith is a good coach and will play the way some Villa want. Surprise by his number 2 choice but I would suspect that his Brentford number 2 O'Kelly will join him there. 

I said Villa would go down this director of football/head coach structure but I thought they would have for someone like Steve Walsh. 

Who next for Brentford? Wouldnt surprise if they appoint first team coach Franks as head coach for the season. Or appoint someone like Heckingbottom who would fit this head coach role. 

Wouldnt be surprise if Smith go back for Maupay from Brentford.

Will Brentford make top 2/6? All down to next appointment. 

Will Villa make top 6? Good chance.