BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Pretty happy with the Smith to Villa news. 

Put it this way, I expect Brentford will struggle to replace him easily and him going into Villa is unknown territory stuff, could be a masterstroke but could easily struggle under the weight of expectation and size of the club compared to plain sailing low pressure at Walsall and Brentford. 

Two weeks ago I wouldn't have fancied us to finish above either. Now I'm confident we can finish above both of them.

If I were a club wanting promotion as quickly as possible I'd be going with Bruce all day long, Smith is a big gamble seemingly built on the premise of the style he's delivered at Brentford (a club with a very unique set of conditions).

Be interesting to see who Brentford bring in. I suspect it won't be a big name, it will be someone to try and build on what Smith has done and a 'head coach'

Smith will probably go back to Brentford and buy the players he rates most. That's the usual thing isn't it?

I think appointing Terry as number two is genius. He obviously made a good impression with the fans who needed a lift and this appointment will certainly do that. He must have been good around the dressing room and a likeable guy because they wouldn't have brought him back if he was a bad influence or causing discontent so the players have someone they know well who they trust and believe in. The young players will look up to him. He will help sort out what has been a very poor defense and he can help the new manager not only with the player by being a go between but he knows there strengths and weaknesses better than anyone has he has played with them all. He knows the club and will prove a valuable asset to Dean Smith. I can see villa starting to be a force in this league. Don't know the director of whatever but two very good appointments imo and one the majority of villa fans will be happy with, believe in and get behind. JT doesn't have the best reputation to the man on the street but he is very respected in football circles. Don't let your personal view of his personality cloud your judgement on what's best from a professional perspective

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think appointing Terry as number two is genius. He obviously made a good impression with the fans who needed a lift and this appointment will certainly do that. He must have been good around the dressing room and a likeable guy because they wouldn't have brought him back if he was a bad influence or causing discontent so the players have someone they know well who they trust and believe in. The young players will look up to him. He will help sort out what has been a very poor defense and he can help the new manager not only with the player by being a go between but he knows there strengths and weaknesses better than anyone has he has played with them all. He knows the club and will prove a valuable asset to Dean Smith. I can see villa starting to be a force in this league. Don't know the director of whatever but two very good appointments imo and one the majority of villa fans will be happy with, believe in and get behind. JT doesn't have the best reputation to the man on the street but he is very respected in football circles. Don't let your personal view of his personality cloud your judgement on what's best from a professional perspective

Terry has never been in a professional coaching capacity so I think it's more prudent to be sceptical of his abilities than not. Being a top defender doesn't automatically make you a good defensive coach, and that's not even what he's been brought in as - he's assistant manager, which entails far more than just sorting out the defence. What has "JT" ever shown anybody to suggest he can help out tactically, for example? It's obviously a risk and I can't understand calling it "genius" when there's as of yet no proof that he's any good in a non-playing role. 

As far as him being a bad influence, he was only at Villa for a season. Look at his influence in getting multiple Chelsea managers sacked for a better perspective on his character. Not going to go into cheating on his girlfriend with a team-mate's girlfriend (and getting her pregnant in the process) or racist taunts to other players. Good player yes - good person, no. One of the worst. That's going to have far more impact in a non-playing role than a playing role, imo, so it's completely valid taking it into account. 

BBC News this morning announced John Terry's appointment as Assistant Coach before they even mentioned Dean Smith's appointment as Head Coach. The limelight and media infatuation will undoubtedly be on Terry rather than Smith. Whether that's a good thing or not only time will tell. Heaven help us when Villa play Derby.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good appointment by Villa. Smith is a good coach and will play the way some Villa want. Surprise by his number 2 choice but I would suspect that his Brentford number 2 O'Kelly will join him there. 

I said Villa would go down this director of football/head coach structure but I thought they would have for someone like Steve Walsh. 

Who next for Brentford? Wouldnt surprise if they appoint first team coach Franks as head coach for the season. Or appoint someone like Heckingbottom who would fit this head coach role. 

Wouldnt be surprise if Smith go back for Maupay from Brentford.

Will Brentford make top 2/6? All down to next appointment. 

Will Villa make top 6? Good chance. 

Will Villa fans be happy if he 'plays the way they want' yet they sit in mid-table for 3 years like Brentford have?

It's lovely to talk about nice football etc. but Villa need promotion, everything else is secondary. They've just got shut of a manager who has 4 promotions and a play off final in his last 6 seasons in the Championship and replaced him with a 'coach' who has never done anything except play 'nice football' at small clubs.

Substance over style in this league. You need a manager who will stick to the basics to grind out results every week. Some call it 'boring' or 'poor football' but more often than not it is those clubs and managers that get promoted.

Might be wrong of course and this could be a genius move but if I were a Villa fan I'd be cautious. Always apprehensive when a new manager comes in and all the talk is about the football his teams play rather than his results and achievements as a manager e.g. promotions. We had it under Kean when some people welcomed his appointment as he played 'good football' compared to Allardyce.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

BBC News this morning announced John Terry's appointment as Assistant Coach before they even mentioned Dean Smith's appointment as Head Coach. The limelight and media infatuation will undoubtedly be on Terry rather than Smith. Whether that's a good thing or not only time will tell. Heaven help us when Villa play Derby.

Rumour is that Villa are going to follow in the footsteps of 'Frank Lampard's Derby' and rename the club as 'John Terry's Aston Villa Football Club'

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good appointment by Villa. Smith is a good coach and will play the way some Villa want. Surprise by his number 2 choice but I would suspect that his Brentford number 2 O'Kelly will join him there. 

I said Villa would go down this director of football/head coach structure but I thought they would have for someone like Steve Walsh. 

Who next for Brentford? Wouldnt surprise if they appoint first team coach Franks as head coach for the season. Or appoint someone like Heckingbottom who would fit this head coach role. 

Wouldnt be surprise if Smith go back for Maupay from Brentford.

Will Brentford make top 2/6? All down to next appointment. 

Will Villa make top 6? Good chance. 

Almost certainly not his choice of an assistant.

If Brentford appointed Heckingbottom then we could almost certainly rule them out as a contender.

Problem at Villa is you could appoint anyone but hes still got to work with the very poor set of 3 or 4 defenders that they can cobble together until at least January.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Terry has never been in a professional coaching capacity so I think it's more prudent to be sceptical of his abilities than not. Being a top defender doesn't automatically make you a good defensive coach, and that's not even what he's been brought in as - he's assistant manager, which entails far more than just sorting out the defence. What has "JT" ever shown anybody to suggest he can help out tactically, for example? It's obviously a risk and I can't understand calling it "genius" when there's as of yet no proof that he's any good in a non-playing role. 

As far as him being a bad influence, he was only at Villa for a season. Look at his influence in getting multiple Chelsea managers sacked for a better perspective on his character. Not going to go into cheating on his girlfriend with a team-mate's girlfriend (and getting her pregnant in the process) or racist taunts to other players. Good player yes - good person, no. One of the worst. That's going to have far more impact in a non-playing role than a playing role, imo, so it's completely valid taking it into account. 

What Terry lacks Dean Smith can make up for that's why imo it is a good appointment. All the greats complimented each other's flaws. I'm not saying John Terry is a good person I'm saying he obviously has been a positive influence in that villa dressing room and people at the clubs, fans and players in the majority must be happy to have him back. The board wouldn't have hired him without doing there research into how the he is percieved among his piers. It's just my opinion and I think they will.compliment each other very well.

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Brentford appointed Heckingbottom then we could almost certainly rule them out as a contender.

Problem at Villa is you could appoint anyone but hes still got to work with the very poor set of 3 or 4 defenders that they can cobble together until at least January.

Heckingbottom had a poor time at Leeds (who hasn't)?.Not saying he would get them promoted but he is a good coach had Barnsley playing well and developed a lot of young players at for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We had it under Kean when some people welcomed his appointment as he played 'good football' compared to Allardyce.

Not sure this analogy stacks up really - unlike Dean Smith, Kean had absolutely no track record so therefore no style of play to speak of when he got the manager's gig, so I'm not sure on what basis his appointment was being welcomed (other than "he's not Allardyce").

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Will Villa fans be happy if he 'plays the way they want' yet they sit in mid-table for 3 years like Brentford have?

It's lovely to talk about nice football etc. but Villa need promotion, everything else is secondary. They've just got shut of a manager who has 4 promotions and a play off final in his last 6 seasons in the Championship and replaced him with a 'coach' who has never done anything except play 'nice football' at small clubs.

Substance over style in this league. You need a manager who will stick to the basics to grind out results every week. Some call it 'boring' or 'poor football' but more often than not it is those clubs and managers that get promoted.

Might be wrong of course and this could be a genius move but if I were a Villa fan I'd be cautious. Always apprehensive when a new manager comes in and all the talk is about the football his teams play rather than his results and achievements as a manager e.g. promotions. We had it under Kean when some people welcomed his appointment as he played 'good football' compared to Allardyce.

Brentford sell at least 2 key player every season. Egan left for Sheffield United. Woods for Stoke. 

Was target the last 2 season top 6? I dont know. 

I think I change was likely after a takeover. Bruce and fans relationship had hit rock bottom. Maybe Bruce should have walk away last summer. He recently looked very tired and like he had loads on his mind.  He need a break from football till next summer. 

Smith plays good football and Villa are capable of playing good football. Will be interest to see how it done.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His number 2 at Brentford is joining him at Villa..

Looks like Brentford 1st team coach Franks will get the head coach job. 

I wonder if he will promote a young defender from under 23's. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not sure this analogy stacks up really - unlike Dean Smith, Kean had absolutely no track record so therefore no style of play to speak of when he got the manager's gig, so I'm not sure on what basis his appointment was being welcomed (other than "he's not Allardyce").

I think the media hype (led by you know who) portrayed Kean as a forward thinking, innovative coach who would turn us into a Lancashire version of Barcelona. Some fans were duped by this and for some as you say Andy it was a case of ABA (anybody but Allardyce).

37 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

There were a few games at least after Allardyce's departure and following Kean's 'caretaker' appointment that he was being heralded as some bright up and coming coach who would improve our style of play whilst maintaining/improving results and a lot of Rovers fans embraced that as they were delighted to be rid of a so-called old fashioned 'boring' manager with a 'negative style' of play.

Most people knew it was only going to end one-way and that Allardyce was the best man for the job at the time, but allowed dislike of the man or his football style to come before acceptance that he was our best bet.

Similar sort of thing at Villa now. Dislike of Bruce or his style of play is coming before acceptance that his record in the Championship is exceptional, and likely to be the best bet of promotion any time soon. Mick McCarthy labelled old fashioned or boring because he deployed an effective and successful style at Ipswich. Meanwhile 'head coaches' who have nothing to their names in terms of success or track records but 'play nice football' are heralded as bright, progressive, ambitious etc.

Fair enough Kean had no track record and his reasons for getting the job far more dubious and sinister than Smith's are at Villa, but similar sort of process where an effective, experienced and capable manager has been shown the door and replaced with someone whose main selling point seems to be that he'll improve the style of football on offer.

The Villa press release for Smith immediately referenced him being 'known for his attractive and exciting brand of football' which suggests that was the reason he got the job. It will be interesting to see if they're happy to sit around in mid-table for a few years if he needs that time to adjust and build a side capable of doing it or if they'll fire him off after a few months if he doesn't work miracles and get them promoted playing swashbuckling football.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
55 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

To be fair, I can remember a number of people saying once we canned Allardyce 'At least we might play some good football now'. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair, I can remember a number of people saying once we canned Allardyce 'At least we might play some good football now'. 

I think that's the very point I was trying to make mate - based on getting rid of Sam rather than any Kean qualities, whereas Dean Smith's 'style of play' is very much a known quantity.

I do see the similarities in fans' views on the outgoing managers in both examples, it was the mention of the Scottish crook that made me question the comparison. Nobody deserves to be compared with that scrote.  

Edited by oldjamfan1

I remember all too well the night we beat Liverpool, an appalling Liverpool who were just about to sack Hodgson hearing ‘Steve Kean’s Blue n white army’, I ended up having a row with folk around us, ‘he’ll have us playing proper football’.

It was only when all the boardroom turmoil started emerging that such folk turned on him. But you are probably right oldjam, the ridiculous anti Sam nature of some fans just clouded all sense and judgement with them. Alarm bells should have been ringing loudly in their heads, if they liked Allardyce or not.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Back to normal at Ipswich. 2-0 down, getting battered. At home. To QPR.

Hurst looking likely to go down as one of their worst ever managerial appointments. Suffice to say Mogga made the right decision when he told Ipswich he wasn't interested.