BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Villa won today and its sound like the fans are right behind Smith from game one. Seen the highlights, created chances by Swansea had chances tho today. 

Preston got a last minute equaliser at Hull. No surprise Bolton and Rotherham. 

Ipswich lost to QPR at home which I was surprise by. 

Boro got a 2-1 win last night at Sheffield Wednesday and Derby beat Sheffield United.

I am still surprise we are 7th and only 4 points of top. This league is wide open and I don't see us not making playoffs if we can keep this form up and every key players here and fit all season 

Ipswich continuing to regret the sacking of the man keeping them in the League. 

Wigan doing almost identical to us, 2 very similar teams, Cook doing a very good job there.

Thought Stoke were about to turn a corner and very surprised by Birmingham winning there.

Swansea will be an interesting game midweek. I dont think they will be in the play off hunt, not enough quality, depth or experience for me.

• Like 2

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ipswich lost to QPR at home which I was surprise by. 

So are Ipswich fans, which is funny as pretty much everybody outside of the anti-McCarthy crew saw the writing on the wall as soon as the supporters forced him out. They're still refusing to accept responsibility for it, too, which amuses me. They keep saying "it was his time to go" - but Mick didn't want to go, the owner didn't want him to go and the players definitely didn't want him to go. The only reason it was time for him to go was because a section of the fans made it impossible for him to do his job properly. I'd argue that regardless of what anybody thinks of Mick and his style of play, that is a poor state of affairs, and the fans who showed him the door should accept their culpability for the current situation they find themselves in.

• Like 7

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Hmmm, now what does that remind me of...

‘No no it was a good idea to sack Sam, we just didn’t know that he’d be replaced by Ke*n’

Similar in a lot of ways. Particularly when it comes to overrating the ability of the squad and underestimating the knowledge and experience needed to get the best out of limited players.

The main difference is that we had no idea how Venky's would act as owners. Ipswich fans knew full well that Evans wasn't going to invest any more than he had done previously, and that outside of Mick he had a pretty poor track record of selecting managers. I think a lot of them became complacent, thinking that keeping a club in this division was no big deal and even if the new manager turned out to be a dud at worst they'd be lower mid-table again. Alarm bells would have been ringing for me the moment Hurst came out with his line about the Championship and League 1 not being any different, whilst publicly berating the existing players at the club before the season had even started. He was clearly out of his depth from day one and the only question is how long Evans is willing to play the waiting game before realising he has no choice but to twist again and hope somebody is available to get what is a very poor team out of trouble on little to no budget. Good luck with that. 

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Similar in a lot of ways. Particularly when it comes to overrating the ability of the squad and underestimating the knowledge and experience needed to get the best out of limited players.

The main difference is that we had no idea how Venky's would act as owners. Ipswich fans knew full well that Evans wasn't going to invest any more than he had done previously, and that outside of Mick he had a pretty poor track record of selecting managers. I think a lot of them became complacent, thinking that keeping a club in this division was no big deal and even if the new manager turned out to be a dud at worst they'd be lower mid-table again. Alarm bells would have been ringing for me the moment Hurst came out with his line about the Championship and League 1 not being any different, whilst publicly berating the existing players at the club before the season had even started. He was clearly out of his depth from day one and the only question is how long Evans is willing to play the waiting game before realising he has no choice but to twist again and hope somebody is available to get what is a very poor team out of trouble on little to no budget. Good luck with that. 

From what I have read and hear it appears that fans have huge problems with the owner and his lack of investment. 

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

From what I have read and hear it appears that fans have huge problems with the owner and his lack of investment. 

A shame they aimed all their ire at McCarthy last season instead, then. They targeted a symptom of the problem rather than the root. McCarthy was the guy frantically bailing the water out of a sinking ship, whilst Captain Evans sipped a cocktail on top deck. The fans decided to throw McCarthy overboard.

Just now, DE. said:

A shame they aimed all their ire at McCarthy last season instead, then. They targeted a symptom of the problem rather than the root. McCarthy was the guy frantically bailing the water out of a sinking ship, whilst Captain Evans sipped a cocktail on top deck. The fans decided to throw McCarthy overboard.

I wouldnt even say that. Comparing again to Keans time here, he was very much a symptom of the problem, and he also received a heavy amount of fan ire.

McCarthy was very much overachieving in spite of the root problem. He wasnt even a symptom.

I also do wonder if McCarthy feels any resentment towards the funds that Hurst has been able to spend this summer? He may have been able to make his sides easier on the eye as well as effective.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Which is why they should have kept a manager perfect for working on such a budget with consistent overachievement.

but fans relationship have broken down with McCarthy and Evans. I can understand fans wanting a change of manager and different way of playing

Just now, DE. said:

haven't they aimed at Evans but I don't know how many games he attend in a season? 

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt even say that. Comparing again to Keans time here, he was very much a symptom of the problem, and he also received a heavy amount of fan ire.

McCarthy was very much overachieving in spite of the root problem. He wasnt even a symptom.

I also do wonder if McCarthy feels any resentment towards the funds that Hurst has been able to spend this summer? He may have been able to make his sides easier on the eye as well as effective.

I probably should have clarified a little - McCarthy himself wasn't the symptom, but the style of football he was playing was a symptom of the lack of investment. He overachieved by playing an extremely rigid style, but he had no choice. 

haven't they aimed at Evans but I don't know how many games he attend in a season? 

They have aimed it at Evans online, but at the ground it was all aimed at McCarthy. Evans attends quite a few games, he was there today but apparently got up and walked out when QPR got their penalty. Didn't stick around to see if they even scored it. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hurst has sold players to bring in his own players and only spent around 40% of funds he brought into the club and bringing in younger players. 

McCarthy didn't deserve personal abuse he got but he did things back. it was love hate relationship for a while. 

I do feel McCarthy could have played more attacking football than he did. Ive been impressed by Coleman and the job he has done. I can understand why they went for Hurst but I feel Ipswich need a change of owner before they can move forward

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

They have aimed it at Evans online, but at the ground it was all aimed at McCarthy. Evans attends quite a few games, he was there today but apparently got up and walked out when QPR got their penalty. Didn't stick around to see if they even scored it. 

pathetic that tbh

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do feel McCarthy could have played more attacking football than he did. Ive been impressed by Coleman and the job he has done. I can understand why they went for Hurst but I feel Ipswich need a change of owner before they can move forward

What's funny is that if the idea was to bring in a manager to play more attacking, expansive football, Hurst shouldn't have even been on the shortlist. His Shrewsbury team weren't known for that at all, quite the opposite. They were a defensive, counter attacking team that won games by the odd goal. Not too dissimilar to how McCarthy had Ipswich set up! It feels like Hurst knows he's expected to play a more entertaining brand of football, and as a result as compromised his own ideas to try and placate the owner and the fans. It would explain why Ipswich often look so clueless on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

pathetic that tbh

Ipswich fans are hoping it means he's had enough and will be imminently sacking Hurst. I'm not convinced. Today's performance was really, really bad though. At half time they'd had a single shot on goal, at home to QPR, coming off the back of beating Swansea 3-2. You would have expected them to have gained some belief and confidence from that result, but they played like Swansea had beaten them 10-0. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

What's funny is that if the idea was to bring in a manager to play more attacking, expansive football, Hurst shouldn't have even been on the shortlist. His Shrewsbury team weren't known for that at all, quite the opposite. They were a defensive, counter attacking team that won games by the odd goal. Not too dissimilar to how McCarthy had Ipswich set up! It feels like Hurst knows he's expected to play a more entertaining brand of football, and as a result as compromised his own ideas to try and placate the owner and the fans. It would explain why Ipswich often look so clueless on the pitch. 

Ipswich fans are hoping it means he's had enough and will be imminently sacking Hurst. I'm not convinced. Today's performance was really, really bad though. At half time they'd had a single shot on goal, at home to QPR, coming off the back of beating Swansea 3-2. You would have expected them to have gained some belief and confidence from that result, but they played like Swansea had beaten them 10-0. 

I agree on the shortlist if the plan was for more attacking football. Hurst did see like the next big thing from lower leagues. Even someone on here suggested him for the Stoke job after Lambert left

I cant see them sacking Hurst any time soon tbh. Not really what Evans plans are short or long term for the club but from my view it appears there isn't any leadership from the top. I cant see who they go for if Hurst does go aswell. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom

I cant see who they go for if Hurst does go aswell. 

That's their biggest problem. It's not exactly an attractive proposition to any decent manager:

- No transfer budget
- Poor, demotivated squad
- Jaded fanbase willing to hound the manager out if he doesn't play the style of football they want
- Limited ability to bring in staff

Form an orderly queue...

They'd probably have to gamble with another lower league manager. Or go for an out of work manager who's had past glories but fallen on hard times and hope it's just a slump - kind of like we did with Mowbray. 

I hear Coyle is still available. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Looking at midweek fixtures, most are top v bottom so could slip a few places with our visit to Swansea.

The Championship rarely turns out like that though Philip, it’s a brutal league and so hard to try and second-guess results.

Which is fantastic!

11 hours ago, DE. said:

Bradley Dack please note---sometimes you are better off where you are!  

11 hours ago, DE. said:

Hurst had a good half a season at Shrewsbury , results in 2018 were nothing to write home about .........The fans are getting what they deserve for hounding MC Carthy out !!!

A ridiculously tight division with just 5 points between Norwich in 5th and Bolton in 18th. The bottom 6 are slightly cut off but other than that the rest can switch massively off a couple of results. Back to back wins have catapulted us from bottom half to top six and a couple of defeats could see us drop significantly. 

We're doing well and the team are a joy to watch at the moment but too early to talk about play offs. Nothing to fear in this league where consistency is king. We're consistent at the moment and aren't losing games. Get through to Feb as we have been doing so far and survival should be all but secured.