BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

21 hours ago, roverandout said:

Survival? We should be talking about promotion

Promotion? Really, I think the celebration drinks you must have had on Saturday night are still affecting your judgement. Yes, we all would love our team to get back to the Premiership, but this journey is only just getting started. A better choice of words might be consolidation. 

I personally think the Championship is a great league to be playing in. Almost all the teams have previously played in the top league and the results are so unpredictable, it makes, for me at least, great entertainment. We have more than held our own so far this season and if we continue to gain points like we have until the New Year, who knows, Venkys might just give Tony a few more rupees to help consolidate our position for the second half of the season. 

Let's enjoy this roller coaster ride, but not get ahead of ourselves and keep making progress. Just a plea to the boycotters, get yourselves back down to Ewood. I don't expect you to forgive Venkys, but our team needs as much support as possible if we are eventually going back to the Premiership. 

COYB

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Promotion? Really, I think the celebration drinks you must have had on Saturday night are still affecting your judgement. Yes, we all would love our team to get back to the Premiership, but this journey is only just getting started. A better choice of words might be consolidation. 

I personally think the Championship is a great league to be playing in. Almost all the teams have previously played in the top league and the results are so unpredictable, it makes, for me at least, great entertainment. We have more than held our own so far this season and if we continue to gain points like we have until the New Year, who knows, Venkys might just give Tony a few more rupees to help consolidate our position for the second half of the season. 

Let's enjoy this roller coaster ride, but not get ahead of ourselves and keep making progress. Just a plea to the boycotters, get yourselves back down to Ewood. I don't expect you to forgive Venkys, but our team needs as much support as possible if we are eventually going back to the Premiership. 

COYB

Mid table consolidation would be fairly acceptable but theres nothing to fear in a competitive but at times, slightly overestimated league.

From what we've seen so far, there is nothing to stop us from having half an eye on the play offs as an ambitious target, as long as people dont see that as the minimum expectation.

There are a lot of teams in the bottom 7 or 8, Ipswich, Hull, Reading, Rotherham, Reading and Bolton (Preston should eventually move upwards) that are exactly where they are expected to be and, barring a collapse from ourselves, should provide a comfortable buffer above safet

You look at teams like us, Wigan, Sheffield United, Norwich and Brentford, all teams in the top half who seem to be clubs looking up, working towards their full potential, but perhaps without the resources of Derby, Nottingham Forest, West Brom etc propping them up.

Also, your final comment has been debated in depth in other threads, but needless to say that is an unfair representation on what most consider to be the main reasons as to why we arent drawing in more respectable attendances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mid table consolidation would be fairly acceptable but theres nothing to fear in a competitive but at times, slightly overestimated league.

From what we've seen so far, there is nothing to stop us from having half an eye on the play offs as an ambitious target, as long as people dont see that as the minimum expectation.

There are a lot of teams in the bottom 7 or 8, Ipswich, Hull, Reading, Rotherham, Reading and Bolton (Preston should eventually move upwards) that are exactly where they are expected to be and, barring a collapse from ourselves, should provide a comfortable buffer above safet

You look at teams like us, Wigan, Sheffield United, Norwich and Brentford, all teams in the top half who seem to be clubs looking up, working towards their full potential, but perhaps without the resources of Derby, Nottingham Forest, West Brom etc propping them up.

Also, your final comment has been debated in depth in other threads, but needless to say that is an unfair representation on what most consider to be the main reasons as to why we arent drawing in more respectable attendances.

Your final comment about my final comment wasn’t necessary as I was merely trying to say to those supporters that they are missing out on some of the most positive football we’ve seen at Ewood for a long, long time. Most of what you said before has also been debated at length in other threads too. 

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

Your final comment about my final comment wasn’t necessary as I was merely trying to say to those supporters that they are missing out on some of the most positive football we’ve seen at Ewood for a long, long time. Most of what you said before has also been debated at length in other threads too. 

Apologies for reading your post in a slightly cynical light, my mistake.

I dont think we have hoards of boycotters missing out to be fair. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What do you mean by this comment "slightly overestimated league."

Personally I think its good league with plenty of quality. And that any team can beat anyone. Surely what you want

I agree mostly the teams you put into certain places in the league. I dont Forest will get top 6 due to the manager in place. 

Yesterday I was listening to Talksport and Matt Holland was talking about Ipswich. Said he heard that Marcus Evans had spoken to other managers and they had been problems between Hurst and some players. Over the way they had treated and talk to on the training ground. Plus he didnt understand why their 2 best players hasnt been playing which is the keeper Białkowski and left back Knuzden. 

The Championship is a a proper competition, I maybe biased but I find it infinitely more intriguing than the PL.

However, I think many Rovers fans over estimated it, i.e we wouldn’t be challenging at the top end because of the spending power/wage bills/parachute payments etc of other clubs.

It’s just that’s the Championship rarely works out that way. Despite money thrown around, there’s still a lot of evenly matched squads and a the majority of relegated sides find it hard to adapt.

From what I’ve seen, there certainly no Wolves in it this season and it’s as wide open as ever.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What do you mean by this comment "slightly overestimated league."

Personally I think its good league with plenty of quality. And that any team can beat anyone. Surely what you want

I agree mostly the teams you put into certain places in the league. I dont Forest will get top 6 due to the manager in place. 

I dont feel that the quality within the League is as good as people seem to imply. It is intruiging and it is competitive but there are a lot of poor teams in it, Hull, Ipswich, Reading, Millwall, Rotherham, Bolton, QPR and Birmingham. Its why I was never of the opinion that wed be in a relegation scrap.

The reason its so fascinating is that you could probably put a blanket over the majority of the other teams. There is quality in it of course but thats not where the intrigue comes from.

The same Forest manager that got Boro promoted?

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The Championship is a a proper competition, I maybe biased but I find it infinitely more intriguing than the PL.

However, I think many Rovers fans over estimated it, i.e we wouldn’t be challenging at the top end because of the spending power/wage bills/parachute payments etc of other clubs.

It’s just that’s the Championship rarely works out that way. Despite money thrown around, there’s still a lot of evenly matched squads and a the majority of relegated sides find it hard to adapt.

From what I’ve seen, there certainly no Wolves in it this season and it’s as wide open as ever.

It's way more exciting. I think they should have 1st and 2nd qualify for the Champions league, then have a play off between 3rd,4th,5th and 6th for who gets the last 2 places, 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th. Like 2 finals. Would keep the interest in the season going and give teams in the top 10 a real target to aim for 

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yesterday I was listening to Talksport and Matt Holland was talking about Ipswich. Said he heard that Marcus Evans had spoken to other managers and they had been problems between Hurst and some players. Over the way they had treated and talk to on the training ground. Plus he didnt understand why their 2 best players hasnt been playing which is the keeper Białkowski and left back Knuzden. 

Yep, Hurst has made a rod for his own back in many ways. It's just inexperience. He had no idea how to handle a squad that was used to - with no offence to Hurst - a proper, experienced manager. They weren't going to be automatically in awe of a bloke whose career highlight is getting Shrewsbury to 3rd place in League 1 before losing the playoff final. He's come into the club acting like the big man and all it's done is turn a significant portion of the squad against him. Even after the QPR match he was still saying that the players need to take responsibility. He's been shifting the blame their way since day one and it's just further proof that he's way out of his depth. He wasn't ready to step up and Ipswich need to remove him from his position before he does any more damage.  

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Yep, Hurst has made a rod for his own back in many ways. It's just inexperience. He had no idea how to handle a squad that was used to - with no offence to Hurst - a proper, experienced manager. They weren't going to be automatically in awe of a bloke whose career highlight is getting Shrewsbury to 3rd place in League 1 before losing the playoff final. He's come into the club acting like the big man and all it's done is turn a significant portion of the squad against him. Even after the QPR match he was still saying that the players need to take responsibility. He's been shifting the blame their way since day one and it's just further proof that he's way out of his depth. He wasn't ready to step up and Ipswich need to remove him from his position before he does any more damage.  

I bet some Ipswich fans are feeling very silly for hounding MCarthy out now. Thats what it was, a hounding. Reminds me of some fans here when Allardyce was manager. Be careful what you wish for. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I bet some Ipswich fans are feeling very silly for hounding MCarthy out now. Thats what it was, a hounding. Reminds me of some fans here when Allardyce was manager. Be careful what you wish for. 

Possibly, but most of them won't admit it. It's just shifted to "it was his time to go" and "it's Evans' fault for hiring the wrong man" - even though the reaction to Hurst's appointment was pretty much universally positive. 

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Possibly, but most of them won't admit it. It's just shifted to "it was his time to go" and "it's Evans' fault for hiring the wrong man" - even though the reaction to Hurst's appointment was pretty much universally positive. 

It was a gamble that didn't pay off for them. Had a quick look on their forum there, the names they are mentioning as replacements are; Big Sam and Bruce. I can't see either of them being interested in a Championship relegation scrap. Interesting that they are who they want, when one of the reasons the criticized McCarthy was his style of football. 

Other names mentioned are 

George Burley 
Paul Lambert  
Simon Grayson 
Alan Pardew 
David Moyes 
Paul Heckingbottom 
Mark Warburton

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont feel that the quality within the League is as good as people seem to imply. It is intruiging and it is competitive but there are a lot of poor teams in it, Hull, Ipswich, Reading, Millwall, Rotherham, Bolton, QPR and Birmingham. Its why I was never of the opinion that wed be in a relegation scrap.

The reason its so fascinating is that you could probably put a blanket over the majority of the other teams. There is quality in it of course but thats not where the intrigue comes from.

The same Forest manager that got Boro promoted?

Yes. So what? 

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sounds like Evans has try to look for a new manager but the people he has spoken arent interest

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was a gamble that didn't pay off for them. Had a quick look on their forum there, the names they are mentioning as replacements are; Big Sam and Bruce. I can't see either of them being interested in a Championship relegation scrap. Interesting that they are who they want, when one of the reasons the criticized McCarthy was his style of football. 

George Burley 
Paul Lambert  
Simon Grayson 
Alan Pardew 
David Moyes 
Paul Heckingbottom 
Mark Warburton

Cant see most them going Ipswich. Possible Heckingbottom. Maybe Gary Bowyer should be on that list. 

Problem the lack of investment from the Owner

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Cant see most them going Ipswich. Possible Heckingbottom. Maybe Gary Bowyer should be on that list. 

Bowyer would be a good shout, but I don't think their fans would be too pleased. That could change the longer they stay in the relegation zone though.

Teams have spent less than them and are doing better. McCarthy got them to 12th and 60 points last season. Hurst was allowed to bring a good few in during the summer. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bowyer would be a good shout, but I don't think their fans would be too pleased. That could change the longer they stay in the relegation zone though.

Teams have spent less than them and are doing better. McCarthy got them to 12th and 60 points last season. Hurst was allowed to bring a good few in during the summer. 

Spent about 4/5 mil but recieved 11 million. Maybe he recruited too many league 1 or 2 players instead of buying championship experience .

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes. So what? 

Sounds like Evans has try to look for a new manager but the people he has spoken arent interest

Which most acknowledged that McCarthy managed to work miracles with and so it's proven so far this season.

Still, as long as they're playing good football, (they probably aren't if they're anything like Shrewsbury last season) who cares about being in the relegation zone and only winning one game so far in late October?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Part of the problem with forcing McCarthy out is that he had strong support from a lot of the club's better players. After witnessing the crowd turn unfairly on a manager they respected, most of those players then wanted out. Hence Hurst had little choice but to let the likes of Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick and Webster leave. Replacing them with L1/L2 players was I think just down to his mindset that there isn't much difference between the Championship and L1/L2, and I imagine these were the kind of players he was planning to bring to Shrewsbury if they got promoted. He's obviously finding out the hard way that he was wrong about the quality gap between the leagues, and probably realising he should have come up with a better plan than essentially sticking to the targets he'd already identified at Shrewsbury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For me, thats incredibly harsh. While there was an obvious section of our crowd who moaned and groaned, any dissent towards the manager wasnt a touch on how widespread and hostile it was to McCarthy. Fans didnt force Allardyce out at all.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

George Burley 
Paul Lambert  
Simon Grayson 
Alan Pardew 
David Moyes 
Paul Heckingbottom 
Mark Warburton

What a terrible list! Only Moyes would be remotely appealing and hed never go there. Any other club in that position, the irony is McCarthy would be first choice!

• Backroom

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Moyes and appealing in the same sentence.

Seriously though, there realistically are very few options available to Ipswich right now. The likes of Allardyce, Bruce and McCarthy aren't going to touch them. I very much doubt Lambert, Pardew or Moyes would be willing to take that chance either. Even the likes of Carvahal or Redknapp would probably have second thoughts considering the squad and budget. 

Warburton would probably be their best choice if they could convince him to come. Otherwise chances are it'll be a Burnley and Butcher combo which would be crowd-pleasing but most likely futile. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For me, thats incredibly harsh. While there was an obvious section of our crowd who moaned and groaned, any dissent towards the manager wasnt a touch on how widespread and hostile it was to McCarthy. Fans didnt force Allardyce out at all.

What a terrible list! Only Moyes would be remotely appealing and hed never go there. Any other club in that position, the irony is McCarthy would be first choice!

I said it reminded me, you are right they are very different situations. Allardyce definitely wasn't forced out. I meant that some fans wanted a younger coach in who would play better football, some were even optimistic about Kean. The reality set in then and many of those same fans realised just how good Allardyce was. I would imagine some Ipswich fans are starting to feel the same. 

Ya, it's a poor list. I bet they would love Mowbray. I can see Grayson getting it, probably the most realistic. Doubt he would keep them up though. It's ironic that the tight fisted owner may now need to break the bank to get someone in who could realistically keep them up. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Moyes and appealing in the same sentence.

Seriously though, there realistically are very few options available to Ipswich right now. The likes of Allardyce, Bruce and McCarthy aren't going to touch them. I very much doubt Lambert, Pardew or Moyes would be willing to take that chance either. Even the likes of Carvahal or Redknapp would probably have second thoughts considering the squad and budget. 

Warburton would probably be their best choice if they could convince him to come. Otherwise it'll most like be a Burnley and Butcher combo would would be crowd-pleasing but most likely futile. 

Harry is off to the jungle I hear. Maybe after eating enough kangaroo testicles , Ipswich will look appealing. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bowyer would be an interesting one actually. He'd definitely take it if offered and is used to working with no budget. It'd be a hell of a task to get that squad to safety though.