BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It seems lots of problems behind the scenes, players unrest and dressing room upset. The way he spoke to players at the training ground and he treated the players badly. Dropped the best 2 players. Do you any more of the problems behind the scenes? 

Disagree. Probably the best appointment there. He knows the league. 

Cos I like Lambert alot. Very clever man and knowledge. 

I dont understand why youve put "he knows the league" considering your constant insistence that they were correct to sack McCarthy! He knew the league, as does Owen Coyle, hes been promoted from it too, a considerable time ago.

"Very clever man and knowledge." - Not really sure what evidence is on show to determine that either. Either way, it hasnt shown in his last 4 managerial stints.

The fans clamouring for entertaining football wont be happy that to replace McCarthy, whose seemingly main crime was not able to couple his ability to constantly get the maximum from low quality players with an unrealistic desire for attractive football, firstly with Hirst who was reknown for winning 1-0 at Shrewsbury, and then by Lambert who weve seen first hand does not play attractive football.

Dont personally understand why anyone would have a positive opinion of him either, comes across as very dull and boring and didnt do particularly well. Each to their own. I get your fondness for Hughes after the time he had here, scratching my head a bit regarding Lambert.

The only failure on Lambert's CV was relegation with Stoke last season. Not sure how keeping Villa up for 2 years and stabilising ourselves and Wolves during mid-season chaos could be construed as failure, unless you've got extremely high expectations.

Plenty of issues with him in terms of his character and his staying power when the going gets tough but based purely on results his record is good, except at Stoke where he was up against it from the word go. 

Realistically other than Bruce or McCarthy he's probably the best man Ipswich could get in terms of experience of going into difficult situations mid-season and getting results.

Interesting bit will be how he copes with Ipswich's limited budget but sounds like he'll have full control over transfers etc. which he wasn't going to get here or at Wolves and led to his departure from both. Maybe complete control on a limited budget appeals to him more than sharing power with someone in a suit.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont understand why youve put "he knows the league" considering your constant insistence that they were correct to sack McCarthy! He knew the league, as does Owen Coyle, hes been promoted from it too, a considerable time ago.

"Very clever man and knowledge." - Not really sure what evidence is on show to determine that either. Either way, it hasnt shown in his last 4 managerial stints.

The fans clamouring for entertaining football wont be happy that to replace McCarthy, whose seemingly main crime was not able to couple his ability to constantly get the maximum from low quality players with an unrealistic desire for attractive football, firstly with Hirst who was reknown for winning 1-0 at Shrewsbury, and then by Lambert who weve seen first hand does not play attractive football.

Dont personally understand why anyone would have a positive opinion of him either, comes across as very dull and boring and didnt do particularly well. Each to their own. I get your fondness for Hughes after the time he had here, scratching my head a bit regarding Lambert.

Blimey back this rubbish again. Obsess with McCarthy, move on FFS. Cant believe you include Coyle on any list after the damage he did here. 

cos Lambert is replacing Hurst who didn't have any championship experience before the Ipswich job. 

have you actually spoken to any Ipswich fans? Fans get fed up with McCarthy and his style understandable after so long as manager. His antics towards them wouldn't help this situation but neither did the fans help the situation with those comments. Plus the owner relationship with the fans hasn't help the situation either. 

did you ever met Lambert and spoke to him? 

on your comment about his last 4 managerial stints. When I was here, I thought his half season would be looking at the squad and then building a squad for a promotion bid the season after similar to the Souness's era. Villa was a massive rebuilding job whilst an owner who was losing interest quick and he did his job by keeping them up. But after O'Neill left Villa their owner lost interest and Villa was only going one way, down the league. Wolves, Strange time there with their owners having close relationship with Mendes. Stoke, didn't do well during his time but I would have like to see him given this season there cos its not like Rowett set the world on fire. Something not right there with the squad. far too many fractions there. 

13 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I think Lambert lost the dressing room here quicker than Jim Iley!!!

surprise by this comment. 

Not sure he lost the dressing room tbh. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It seems lots of problems behind the scenes, players unrest and dressing room upset. The way he spoke to players at the training ground and he treated the players badly. Dropped the best 2 players. Do you any more of the problems behind the scenes? 

From what I read he treated the staff members he hadn't brought with him pretty poorly as well. As far as he was concerned everything from the players to the staff were below what he considered acceptable levels and he made everybody aware of it. Came across as an arrogant prick and pretty much turned everybody against him from day one. I don't think very many tears will be shed around the football club over his departure.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

I think Lambert lost the dressing room here quicker than Jim Iley!!!

I don't remember hearing about Lambert losing the dressing room. Can you expand on that?

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Interesting bit will be how he copes with Ipswich's limited budget but sounds like he'll have full control over transfers etc. which he wasn't going to get here or at Wolves and led to his departure from both. Maybe complete control on a limited budget appeals to him more than sharing power with someone in a suit.

Evans' comments this evening are making it pretty clear there ain't going to be a transfer budget for January, so Lambert had better be prepared to make do with what he's got. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blimey back this rubbish again. Obsess with McCarthy, move on FFS. Cant believe you include Coyle on any list after the damage he did here. 

cos Lambert is replacing Hurst who didn't have any championship experience before the Ipswich job. 

have you actually spoken to any Ipswich fans? Fans get fed up with McCarthy and his style understandable after so long as manager. His antics towards them wouldn't help this situation but neither did the fans help the situation with those comments. Plus the owner relationship with the fans hasn't help the situation either. 

did you ever met Lambert and spoke to him? 

on your comment about his last 4 managerial stints. When I was here, I thought his half season would be looking at the squad and then building a squad for a promotion bid the season after similar to the Souness's era. Villa was a massive rebuilding job whilst an owner who was losing interest quick and he did his job by keeping them up. But after O'Neill left Villa their owner lost interest and Villa was only going one way, down the league. Wolves, Strange time there with their owners having close relationship with Mendes. Stoke, didn't do well during his time but I would have like to see him given this season there cos its not like Rowett set the world on fire. Something not right there with the squad. far too many fractions there. 

surprise by this comment. 

Not sure he lost the dressing room tbh. 

My Coyle comment was belittling your "knows the league" retort that you often use. Coyle has promotion from this league, also ages ago, and a really poor recent record. Not saying Lambert is as bad or comparing them, just highlighting that all experience isnt good experience.

Not interested in what Ipswich fans think. I can clearly see that they had unrealistic expectations of the football Ipswich can play with a poor squad full of cheap players and frees, an under appreciation of the incredible consistency they had under McCarthy, and also think they have a divine right to give someone disgusting and personal abuse without any mild retaliation. They arent going to admit that they are wrong, even if the rest of the football world can see that.

End of the day, there seems to be excuses for why he didnt do well in all of his last 4 jobs. Owners, budget, control, players. The common denominator is Paul Lambert.

When he was here, the football was very dull. Not that I will be hypocritical and overly complain after my comments on McCarthy, but neither Hurst or Lambert will be able to give Ipswich fans football that is any more attractive than McCarthy, who at least had the results. You mention his building of a squad here,  he sold our best player and signed half a team of loans, hardly long-term thinking.

I cant really be bothered continuing with the Lambert debate further anyway, lets agree to disagree.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

From what I read he treated the staff members he hadn't brought with him pretty poorly as well. As far as he was concerned everything from the players to the staff were below what he considered acceptable levels and he made everybody aware of it. Came across as an arrogant prick and pretty much turned everybody against him from day one. I don't think very many tears will be shed around the football club over his departure.

I don't remember hearing about Lambert losing the dressing room. Can you expand on that?

Evans' comments this evening are making it pretty clear there ain't going to be a transfer budget for January, so Lambert had better be prepared to make do with what he's got. 

If Hurst has treated staff like that then its unacceptable and wrong. Reminds me of Ince's time here. He might not get another opportunity at this level. Maybe he be better in the lower leagues. 

I haven't seen those comments but if Lambert isn't going to sort of budget to bring him a couple of players like a target man striker and skilful number 10 llike Tony Watt then Ipswich is going down. Far too many league 1 players and not enough experience players was signed by Hurst. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

My Coyle comment was belittling your "knows the league" retort that you often use. Coyle has promotion from this league, also ages ago, and a really poor recent record. Not saying Lambert is as bad or comparing them, just highlighting that all experience isnt good experience.

Not interested in what Ipswich fans think. I can clearly see that they had unrealistic expectations of the football Ipswich can play with a poor squad full of cheap players and frees, an under appreciation of the incredible consistency they had under McCarthy, and also think they have a divine right to give someone disgusting and personal abuse without any mild retaliation. They arent going to admit that they are wrong, even if the rest of the football world can see that.

End of the day, there seems to be excuses for why he didnt do well in all of his last 4 jobs. Owners, budget, control, players. The common denominator is Paul Lambert.

When he was here, the football was very dull. Not that I will be hypocritical and overly complain after my comments on McCarthy, but neither Hurst or Lambert will be able to give Ipswich fans football that is any more attractive than McCarthy, who at least had the results. You mention his building of a squad here,  he sold our best player and signed half a team of loans, hardly long-term thinking.

I cant really be bothered continuing with the Lambert debate further anyway, lets agree to disagree.

you are not interest in what Ipswich fans think but you are interest in Forest fans opinions tho on Brereton, surely this double standard and dilute your opinion on Brereton then.

You are very happy to praised McCarthy style of football but not Lambert when its very similar over the recent past. double standard again?

So you never met Lambert then and spoke to him. maybe you should do before calling dull and boring.

on his time here, Rhodes wanted out of here for the past 12 months just like Rudy Gestede did. I did say when Lambert came in that Rhodes wouldn't suited Lambert style and he would be move on. He signed 7 players during his time here. Which 2 players are still here in Graham and Bennett.

I don't want to agree to disagree either.  

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If Hurst has treated staff like that then its unacceptable and wrong. Reminds me of Ince's time here. He might not get another opportunity at this level. Maybe he be better in the lower leagues. 

I haven't seen those comments but if Lambert isn't going to sort of budget to bring him a couple of players like a target man striker and skilful number 10 llike Tony Watt then Ipswich is going down. Far too many league 1 players and not enough experience players was signed by Hurst. 

you are not interest in what Ipswich fans think but you are interest in Forest fans opinions tho on Brereton, surely this double standard and dilute your opinion on Brereton then.

You are very happy to praised McCarthy style of football but not Lambert when its very similar over the recent past. double standard again?

So you never met Lambert then and spoke to him. maybe you should do before calling dull and boring.

on his time here, Rhodes wanted out of here for the past 12 months just like Rudy Gestede did. I did say when Lambert came in that Rhodes wouldn't suited Lambert style and he would be move on. He signed 7 players during his time here. Which 2 players are still here in Graham and Bennett.

I don't want to agree to disagree either.  

Just to clarify a couple of your misinterpretations:

I never once praised McCarthys style of play. I know that it is not the easiest on the eye, my point was that with the poor players and lack of money, that was the way he had to play and was more than justified with consistent levels of overachievement with limited players.

I am interested in fans opinions on Brereton predominantly in regards to his style of play and ability to play wide. This is because it is relevant to his struggles at the moment and his inability to play wide.

Im not interested in what Ipswich fans think partially because they hold a personal grudge against someone who they gave untold abuse too and couldnt hack getting a tiny bit back. You arent going to get fair opinions from there.

• Like 1

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Evans hasn't outright stated there's no budget, but if you read between the lines of what he's said this evening he's basically saying the club has the foundations for success, now they just need the right manager to take what they've got and progress. It'll be a hell of a job for Lambert to get that team anywhere. The squad he inherited here from Bowyer in 2015, as limited as it was, still had far more quality than the current Ipswich team.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just to clarify a couple of your misinterpretations:

I never once praised McCarthys style of play. I know that it is not the easiest on the eye, my point was that with the poor players and lack of money, that was the way he had to play and was more than justified with consistent levels of overachievement with limited players.

I am interested in fans opinions on Brereton predominantly in regards to his style of play and ability to play wide. This is because it is relevant to his struggles at the moment and his inability to play wide.

Im not interested in what Ipswich fans think partially because they hold a personal grudge against someone who they gave untold abuse too and couldnt hack getting a tiny bit back. You arent going to get fair opinions from there.

You are only interested in fans opinions when its suited your argument. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Evans hasn't outright stated there's no budget, but if you read between the lines of what he's said this evening he's basically saying the club has the foundations for success, now they just need the right manager to take what they've got and progress. It'll be a hell of a job for Lambert to get that team anywhere. The squad he inherited here from Bowyer in 2015, as limited as it was, still had far more quality than the current Ipswich team.

fair enough. thankyou for the reply

Lambert is quickly becoming a journey man.Left us because of issues not sure what they where. Not good enough for wolves. Just maybe he is not as good has he thinks he is. Will he have the release clause in this one to ensure they match his personal expectations.To big for his boots is this one( according to yoda).

Poor manager in my opinion who is packed full of excuses.Good luck to Ipswich 

• Like 2

What Lambert needs is for a good club where he can do a steady/good job over a number of years. He cannot afford a failure or another 6 month short spell like he's had in his last 3 jobs.

Are Ipswich the right club to do that? Depends what his expectations are. If he's realistic about the budget he can expect and is dropping the whole obsession he had here about spending to achieve promotion in the next 12 months and looks to build them up over a few years then in theory they are a good club. Whilst funds may be limited they don't have the ownership issues that he had at Villa (owner wanting to cut costs and sell), Rovers (owners who live in cloud cuckoo land) and Wolves (owners with very close ties to one agent which was incompatible with a manager like Lambert). At least Ipswich have a traditional structure with an owner who will allow time, within reason, and he will be left to get on with it like McCarthy was able to do.

Trouble is that whoever gets the job has tied hands until January, and looking at their squad it doesn't strike me as one that is massively underachieving, it is full of players used to playing at a lower level. Mind you with Rotherham, Hull and Bolton knocking about down there there's plenty of scope to find 3 clubs worse than them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What Lambert needs is for a good club where he can do a steady/good job over a number of years. He cannot afford a failure or another 6 month short spell like he's had in his last 3 jobs.

Are Ipswich the right club to do that? Depends what his expectations are. If he's realistic about the budget he can expect and is dropping the whole obsession he had here about spending to achieve promotion in the next 12 months and looks to build them up over a few years then in theory they are a good club. Whilst funds may be limited they don't have the ownership issues that he had at Villa (owner wanting to cut costs and sell), Rovers (owners who live in cloud cuckoo land) and Wolves (owners with very close ties to one agent which was incompatible with a manager like Lambert). At least Ipswich have a traditional structure with an owner who will allow time, within reason, and he will be left to get on with it like McCarthy was able to do.

Trouble is that whoever gets the job has tied hands until January, and looking at their squad it doesn't strike me as one that is massively underachieving, it is full of players used to playing at a lower level. Mind you with Rotherham, Hull and Bolton knocking about down there there's plenty of scope to find 3 clubs worse than them.

You list 3 clubs and theres also Stoke. Thats his 4 last jobs that hes not succeeded in any of, and they are all littered with excuses. Do you not get feeling that the excuses can wear thin after a while, if its 1 or 2 jobs then fair enough but it just seems like theres always a reason and im sure there are plenty of ready made excuses for potential failure at Ipswich.

You also mention Ipswich as a potential club to get a bit of time. Im not convinced that is the case. Obviously Hurst didnt last very long. McCarthys results were consistently above that which would bring his future into doubt, and it was his relationship with the fans turning toxic that eventually caused him to go. Lamberts football isnt attractive either, you couple that with his Norwich links and you can see a seemingly delusional set of fans sensing blood at the first opportunity.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You list 3 clubs and theres also Stoke. Thats his 4 last jobs that hes not succeeded in any of, and they are all littered with excuses. Do you not get feeling that the excuses can wear thin after a while, if its 1 or 2 jobs then fair enough but it just seems like theres always a reason and im sure there are plenty of ready made excuses for potential failure at Ipswich.

You also mention Ipswich as a potential club to get a bit of time. Im not convinced that is the case. Obviously Hurst didnt last very long. McCarthys results were consistently above that which would bring his future into doubt, and it was his relationship with the fans turning toxic that eventually caused him to go. Lamberts football isnt attractive either, you couple that with his Norwich links and you can see a seemingly delusional set of fans sensing blood at the first opportunity.

How are they excuses when they are facts? 

Look at @DE. posts about Hurst attitude towards players and staff. Matt Holland said the same thing on talksport. Seems to me the Paul Ince attitude during his time here. 

Ipswich fans problems are with the owner and lack of investment. 

Cannot say I am not chuckling away at Hurst getting the sack. Seems extremely arrogant after a bit of a one hit wonder season that ultimately failed anyway. The whole way the move took place left a bad taste in the mouth anyway, it was obviously agreed long before the end of the season and his mind was obviously on that job (to the benefit of us at least) and according to Shrews fans he hardly looked bothered about missing out in the playoff final.

Then he rolls up, gets rids of a number of experienced championship players and brings in an influx of lower league players. Bringing one or two up is fine but they will need to complement the more experienced pros at this level. Huge gamble that didn't pay off - wouldn't mind picking up Gwion Edwards if they do go down though.  

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You say he has not succeeded in his last 4 jobs, but there's a difference between not succeeding and failing. Would you say he failed at Villa, Rovers or Wolves? Whilst the football may have been dire Villa managed to keep themselves in the Premier League for 2 years under his management with a very young squad and a limited budget, and I'm sure if you asked the owner at the time he was quite happy with survival. I'm sure Villa fans would prefer to be back there than where they are now, although many might not admit it.

Rovers and Wolves are often portrayed as failures but were they? Both clubs were in extremely fragile situations when he took over in November and both were looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone and needed a steady pair of hands to get them to safety. Wolves had just been taken over and had sacked Jackett and appointed Walter Zenga which was a bonkers appointment, they knew they needed a safe appointment until the summer and then regroup. Lambert provided that by delivering a mid-table finish with a good cup run and then they decided they wanted to go down the Mendes backed head coach Portuguese route which Lambert was never going to be suitable for, simply because he doesn't have the right agent. My recollection of his time at Rovers is that we were struggling by the time Bowyer was sacked, and although we weren't in the relegation zone we weren't that far off it. Whilst we didn't climb very much under his management there appeared to be some sort of plan and I felt performances at times were massively improved and we looked fitter (e.g. Middlesbrough at home when we were outstanding). It was only towards the last couple of months when survival was secure and promotion impossible and he'd obviously decided that he wasn't sticking around that results started to go downhill, as they usually will when you have nothing to play for and the players know the manager is leaving.

Maybe it is excuses but in football terms I think working for Lerner at Villa, Venkys at Rovers and the Chinese at Wolves he was always likely to be up against it like so many others have been before him.

Stoke was obviously a failure but they were also in disarray before he arrived. But given his position at the time he had to accept that job in the Premier League and give it a try even though it might have been advisable for him to avoid and not have the blemish on his cv.

Again I'm not excusing his personality, demeanour or behaviour. I think he's a strange bloke who appears to perhaps think he is better than he is and has form for dumping clubs when convenient for him. But that's a different issue. It isn't a popularity contest and managers aren't or shouldn't be judged on what they say or how they come across. His behaviour at Rovers in terms of clearly expecting or demanding a big budget to spend and not being prepared to play the game with Venkys like they expect their managers to (like flying around the world to meet them several times a season) appears to have upset a few. But focusing purely on results in his time here I certainly don't agree he failed. Perhaps overall he didn't live up to expectations of when he joined but it was early days. Like with Mowbray he needed a full summer to get things in place.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Cannot say I am not chuckling away at Hurst getting the sack. Seems extremely arrogant after a bit of a one hit wonder season that ultimately failed anyway. The whole way the move took place left a bad taste in the mouth anyway, it was obviously agreed long before the end of the season and his mind was obviously on that job (to the benefit of us at least) and according to Shrews fans he hardly looked bothered about missing out in the playoff final.

Then he rolls up, gets rids of a number of experienced championship players and brings in an influx of lower league players. Bringing one or two up is fine but they will need to complement the more experienced pros at this level. Huge gamble that didn't pay off - wouldn't mind picking up Gwion Edwards if they do go down though.  

Spot on with Edwards.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not random tweets tho Stuart but fans who attend every game. So unlucky Stuart ?. I aint playing your game anymore. Enjoy your day

It doesn’t make them right, it just provides a different opinion.

Enjoy your day also!