BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

• Backroom

This time two years ago we were 23rd with 13 points after 16 games with a -9 goal difference, having just lost 2-1 to Aston Villa to make it three defeats in a row. Owen Coyle did his best Steve Kean impression by saying we "dominated the game" in the first half and claimed "there is enough in the team to know we will move up the table". True, but not with you at the helm, Owen. That said, you can't doubt the managerial credentials of a man who says "I've told the players, and I was quite vocal about it, that they must not give away soft goals when we are in a winning position". Such insight must have blown the players minds.

Compare and contrast, we just beat QPR to go 8th with 25 points after 16 games with a -1 goal difference. We already had 9 defeats under our belt this time two years ago, compared to just 3 this time around. Also despite winning our latest match and doing very well results-wise so far this season, the manager continues to demand improvement from the team. The difference between a proper manager and a fraud imitating one.

• Like 2

I was actually quite pleased Leeds won at Wigan. Wigan have been propped up by very strong home form. If that starts to deteriorate then they'll end up looking over their shoulders as their away form is rubbish. They've now lost 4 in 5.

From our point of view with us going to their place later this month I would prefer to be going to a side who had recently lost at home rather than to one protecting an 8 month unbeaten home record.

Just love this league when it's going well. I thought we were very comfortable yesterday. The keeper was at fault for the goal. Yeah the Prem is where the money is but we have been there and done that and Europe. I really love the Championship. So competitive and 14 teams could end up in the top 6. Pushed now I would say in no order. Leeds,Derby, Middlesbrough,Nottingham Forest will be in the mix. Villa will push on. Hopefully Rovers can stay with the pace. I honestly think Sheffield United will fall away. West Brom also. 

3 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Just love this league when it's going well. I thought we were very comfortable yesterday. The keeper was at fault for the goal. Yeah the Prem is where the money is but we have been there and done that and Europe. I really love the Championship. So competitive and 14 teams could end up in the top 6. Pushed now I would say in no order. Leeds,Derby, Middlesbrough,Nottingham Forest will be in the mix. Villa will push on. Hopefully Rovers can stay with the pace. I honestly think Sheffield United will fall away. West Brom also. 

Can't help but agree - i'd rather be challenging in the Championship than fighting relegation in the Prem. The only problem is you lose all your best players eventually in this league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I blame for not changing the squad around enough and failed in bringing in a right back, 3rd striker and midfield playmaker. Dawson and Rodriguez wanted out and failed to do I think has affected them badly. Hoolahan and Sako were signed as a last resort..lack of money. They should change their squad more in terms of more younger players for midfield like Ryan Woods and Adam Forshaw or Nick Powell. 

Brunt is a good player but needs legs around him. 

I hope Moore turns it around for his sake and WBA fans

Why do they need Hoolahan and Sako when they have Field and Burke getting splinters in their backside on the bench, or not even that?

They had big bids for them 2 players and turned them down. Look when we went down, Mowbray said some of our big players wanted out but he got them motivated.

Im not saying that others havent got their share of the blame but the manager isnt totally blameless, far from it and pinning their problems with setting up in a formation that doesnt suit them on Moores assistant is ridicilious. He makes the decisions, not the assistant.

Brunt certainly is not a Championship central midfielder in a 2 along with Livermore, especially at his age. Moore is playing him in a way that exposes his weaknesses.

Just now, CP Company Lad said:

Couldn't agree more about the Championship, fabulous league. Just an ironic shame that winning it means having (probably) less fun in the top flight. Even by normal standards, this year looks extremely hard to predict. We're in November now, and to my mind there's not a single team that stands out as emerging from a pack of 7 or 8 as favourites for automatic promotion. Maybe Derby in recent weeks. 

Sheffield United are a funny one. For me, they were the best team I've seen at Ewood this year and by a fair distance, but going off that performance you'd never have guessed that they would be leaking goals or dropping points as much as they have in some recent games. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DE. said:

This time two years ago we were 23rd with 13 points after 16 games with a -9 goal difference, having just lost 2-1 to Aston Villa to make it three defeats in a row. Owen Coyle did his best Steve Kean impression by saying we "dominated the game" in the first half and claimed "there is enough in the team to know we will move up the table". True, but not with you at the helm, Owen. That said, you can't doubt the managerial credentials of a man who says "I've told the players, and I was quite vocal about it, that they must not give away soft goals when we are in a winning position". Such insight must have blown the players minds.

Compare and contrast, we just beat QPR to go 8th with 25 points after 16 games with a -1 goal difference. We already had 9 defeats under our belt this time two years ago, compared to just 3 this time around. Also despite winning our latest match and doing very well results-wise so far this season, the manager continues to demand improvement from the team. The difference between a proper manager and a fraud imitating one.

It's genuinely quite scary how a guy like Coyle can be classed a professional football manager. He's just full of waffle and soundbites, just like K**n was.

When it comes down to training, tactics, motivation etc. his knowledge/ability must be so poor and yet people were still chucking jobs his way.

Mogga is obviously doing the business for us but he isn't faultless and yet the difference between what he inherited and what we have now is chalk and cheese. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It's genuinely quite scary how a guy like Coyle can be classed a professional football manager. He's just full of waffle and soundbites, just like K**n was.

When it comes down to training, tactics, motivation etc. his knowledge/ability must be so poor and yet people were still chucking jobs his way.

Mogga is obviously doing the business for us but he isn't faultless and yet the difference between what he inherited and what we have now is chalk and cheese. 

It's been spoken about a few times over the last 18 months, but this is a really important point which in a way has been playing out on most of the threads on this board.

Maybe this is the same at all clubs to a certain extent, but I think the chaos at Rovers over recent years, as well as some of the managerial appointments has made it really easy for fans to get grouped in the 'optimistic' or 'pessimistic' categories (see happy clappers or doom-mongers, if things get pejorative). 

Consequence of this is that fans get into the habit very easily of looking at any, often almost unrelated issue as a slight against their position, and therefore have a tendency to get very defensive to the point that we have two large groups who are constantly talking past each other. This was happening even under Bowyer. Refusal to recognise poor signings/soft underbelly because of the great work that he did, or indeed vice versa. 

Might be a bit of a tangent, but it makes points like your last one all the more important. I personally think the sun shines out of TM's backside, but I think amongst his best achievements is that because of what he has done & how much of a step up he is (as a manager and a bloke) than Coyle, it means that we now should be able to talk about things like players costing too much money or if we have a late goals issue without it descending into 'which of the two camps do you belong to' squabbles that we've been having for the last 5 years or more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Couldn't agree more about the Championship, fabulous league. Just an ironic shame that winning it means having (probably) less fun in the top flight. Even by normal standards, this year looks extremely hard to predict. We're in November now, and to my mind there's not a single team that stands out as emerging from a pack of 7 or 8 as favourites for automatic promotion. Maybe Derby in recent weeks. 

Sheffield United are a funny one. For me, they were the best team I've seen at Ewood this year and by a fair distance, but going off that performance you'd never have guessed that they would be leaking goals or dropping points as much as they have in some recent games. 

True about nobody running away with it at the moment. The league is going as it always does in other aspects, 25 points (which is what we are on) usually has you around 8th or 9th, as we are, the play off places teams are usually on around 26-30 points, which they are, team 3rd from bottom usually has around 14-15 points, which Reading do. The seasons were teams have ran away with it (i.e. Newcastle and Wolves in recent seasons) they have been on around 35-37 points, and the team in 3rd on around 30 points. The team in third this season is on 30 points but so are the top 2, that's the difference this season, meaning any team in the top half is still in with a good chance of play offs and any team in the top 6-8 are still in with a chance of top 2.

On 02/11/2018 at 10:29, JHRover said:

Interesting figures on Bristol City on twitter.

Losses this year up from £3.5 million to £23.5 million.

Losses over the last 6 years - £94 million

Wage bill up by £5 million.

£65 million in debt to their owner Steve Lansdown.

Not too dissimilar to what we've had really.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1059376131340677120

Swiss Ramble with an (as always) digestible Twitter thread on the Bristol City 17/18 financial results.

Their 16/17 and 17/18 results illustrate the need for occasional big sales in this league (Kodjia in 16/17, Reid and Bryan this year) without parachute payments, even if you're trying to keep wages somewhat sensible (and despite relatively impressive revenue growth too!). And you ultimately need an owner able to cover £100m+ losses over the long-term if promotion to the PL doesn't happen...

Bit depressing to think with their financial results (and merely okay results since their return to the Championship) Bristol City are something for us to aspire to ... managed to improve their revenue to £27m, crowds to 20k+, an owner willing to make some significant investments, etc. (Although I suppose we'd be starting from a heavily-indebted situation...)

Edited by RoverCanada

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do they need Hoolahan and Sako when they have Field and Burke getting splinters in their backside on the bench, or not even that?

They had big bids for them 2 players and turned them down. Look when we went down, Mowbray said some of our big players wanted out but he got them motivated.

Im not saying that others havent got their share of the blame but the manager isnt totally blameless, far from it and pinning their problems with setting up in a formation that doesnt suit them on Moores assistant is ridicilious. He makes the decisions, not the assistant.

Brunt certainly is not a Championship central midfielder in a 2 along with Livermore, especially at his age. Moore is playing him in a way that exposes his weaknesses.

for squad wise I guess in terms when injuries and suspensions. Sako is a decent free transfer. I don't know why Field and Burke aren't in the 18 man squad. Burke would be starting in I was in charge on the right wing. 

I'm not sure but I think Dawson and Rodriguez were promise move away when the club went down after discuss between them and club. Similar different to our situation tho with Mowbray, Lenihan and Mulgrew.

They are playing 3 at the back due to lack of a right backs at the club and this is why I highlight their transfer business and lack of money spend on rebuilding the squad. They need much more of overhauling of it. If I was there I would be playing 4-3-3 with the squad. Would you like me to name my 11?

Jones was on an impact there with Moore and with him having more experience then Moore, he will have more of a say IMO.

Brunt should be playing in 3 man midfield as I already said 

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Evans is out for Saturday, 5 yellows. 

Surely means Reed to the middle and Bennett to right mid, Nyambe back into the team. 

Hope we're a bit more positive than that and play Palmer or even Rothwell instead of Bennett wide. Rotherham have only scored 3 goals in 8 away games picking up just 2 points let's hope we take the game to them and start on the front foot. We don't want another drab lethargic performance like Saturday or against Millwall and Reading.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Hope we're a bit more positive than that and play Palmer or even Rothwell instead of Bennett wide. Rotherham have only scored 3 goals in 8 away games picking up just 2 points let's hope we take the game to them and start on the front foot. We don't want another drab lethargic performance like Saturday or against Millwall and Reading.

Oh god, I have a feeling its going to be one of those games. This is one where I would love if Mowbray took the initiative and did start Palmer or Rothwell out there. Maybe Rodwell with Reed in the middle too. Chances are it will be a conservative line up though and a 1-0 or 2-1 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they scored first. We never make it easy like. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

for squad wise I guess in terms when injuries and suspensions. Sako is a decent free transfer. I don't know why Field and Burke aren't in the 18 man squad. Burke would be starting in I was in charge on the right wing. 

I'm not sure but I think Dawson and Rodriguez were promise move away when the club went down after discuss between them and club. Similar different to our situation tho with Mowbray, Lenihan and Mulgrew.

They are playing 3 at the back due to lack of a right backs at the club and this is why I highlight their transfer business and lack of money spend on rebuilding the squad. They need much more of overhauling of it. If I was there I would be playing 4-3-3 with the squad. Would you like me to name my 11?

Jones was on an impact there with Moore and with him having more experience then Moore, he will have more of a say IMO.

My main point is that you've blamed everyone but the manager. Why sign Kyle Bartley when you need a right back more pressingly? Even if the assistant manager is having an impact, he isnt making the final decisions, it is up to the manager at the end of the day.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My main point is that you've blamed everyone but the manager. Why sign Kyle Bartley when you need a right back more pressingly? Even if the assistant manager is having an impact, he isnt making the final decisions, it is up to the manager at the end of the day.

But I did blamed Moore tho for not overall his squad and sign new players. Whether the funds was there I dont know but I do know I would have wanted a better all round squad suited to the championship..

Why sign Bartley? Probably cos they were selling Dawson and got in him to replace him.sensible thing to do but the sale never happened. I can get a few players names who they should have signed imo and would have better suited to championship level. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Evans is out for Saturday, 5 yellows. 

Surely means Reed to the middle and Bennett to right mid, Nyambe back into the team. 

My team

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Smallwood Reed

Bennett Dack Palmer

Brereton.

On 05/11/2018 at 16:44, chaddyrovers said:

Brunt's  another Whittingham for me. He's been a good player but his legs have gone.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brunt's  another Whittingham for me. He's been a good player but his legs have gone.

It seems increasingly rare for older players to be able to cut it in the Championship, particularly if they've been plying their trade in the PL for a number of years beforehand. It seems to take a certain, fairly unique type of character to make the step down and thrive.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

It seems increasingly rare for older players to be able to cut it in the Championship, particularly if they've been plying their trade in the PL for a number of years beforehand. It seems to take a certain, fairly unique type of character to make the step down and thrive.

Its a good point. Murphy couldnt. Whittingham couldnt. Championship football is very different to Premier League football. 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its a good point. Murphy couldnt. Whittingham couldnt. Championship football is very different to Premier League football. 

Its not because they are in the Championship, where the standard is obviously worse than the Premier League. All 3 players are/were just past it in general. Whittingham was let go by Cardiff after a season on the fringes, and struggled to meet expectations even in League 1. Brunt was hopeless in the Premier League last season, and Murphys game time at Fulham had decreased before he joined here, which was at a time when our club was in turmoil and Murphys motivation had gone.

Look at Pablo Hernandez and Stewart Downing. 2 old players playing key roles for their respective sides in the Championship.

The Championship is a great league to watch due the competitiveness, not necessarily the quality.

Edited by roversfan99

On 05/11/2018 at 20:18, chaddyrovers said:

But I did blamed Moore tho for not overall his squad and sign new players. Whether the funds was there I dont know but I do know I would have wanted a better all round squad suited to the championship..

Why sign Bartley? Probably cos they were selling Dawson and got in him to replace him.sensible thing to do but the sale never happened. I can get a few players names who they should have signed imo and would have better suited to championship level. 

You made a point the other day of saying that West Brom weren’t down when Moore took over. He took over in April when they were TEN points off safety. They actually went unbeaten for the whole of April and he got manager of the month. Don’t think anyone would have been able to keep them up last season so to hold that against him is harsh for me Chaddy. They’ve not made a great start this season but without spending much it was never going to be easy in such a competitive league. He’s got time to turn it round yet.