BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The viewing figures just show you have more fans, as you should being a one club city. It's totally unfair to offer yourselves more money when smaller clubs have been consistently more successful than you over the space of a decade or so.

Money shouldn't be offered based on viewing figures but on success. In that respect you deserve what a mid table Championship club should get, 25,000 fans or not.

My argument is based on the amount of times we are on. I don't mind the 5.30 games as it provides more drinking time but these lunchtime games are horrendous. I suppose we can't help being box office in this league. Only Villa pull similar figures. Another big club.

20 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

My argument is based on the amount of times we are on. I don't mind the 5.30 games as it provides more drinking time but these lunchtime games are horrendous. I suppose we can't help being box office in this league. Only Villa pull similar figures. Another big club.

Agreed. I've actually posted before that I think the annual January Leeds meltdown itself should be pay per view I think. In fact all other games should be played at 3pm like an undercard, with Leeds vs X as the main event, if you will. The one thing I have certainly missed in this league is watching Leeds go from title contenders to just missing out on the play offs, starting with that January meltdown. Box office indeed.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

I suppose we can't help being box office in this league. Only Villa pull similar figures. Another big club.

?

You normally have to cast the net a bit wider to catch any whoppers on here. 

But sod it, I'm feeling obliging and don't want your efforts being in vain. 

So, in reply to you giving yourself a big pat on the back:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2016-2017/1/

2 seasons ago you were 5th in home league attendance. And of that list the most comparable to yourselves is Newcastle (a one team city of similarish size) , and they almost double your "box office" levels. 

So I'd maybe lay off labeling  yourself a big club some 18 months after Brighton, Derby, and Sheff Wed were all matching you. 

Good luck with it all though! Maybe some success on the pitch will help get you back to a decent level in English football for first time in decades. ?

Just now, J*B said:

Agreed. I've actually posted before that I think the annual January Leeds meltdown itself should be pay per view I think. In fact all other games should be played at 3pm like an undercard, with Leeds vs X as the main event, if you will. The one thing I have certainly missed in this league is watching Leeds go from title contenders to just missing out on the play offs, starting with that January meltdown. Box office indeed.

? Ruthless mate. Harsh but fair. 

1 minute ago, Silas said:

?

You normally have to cast the net a bit wider to catch any whoppers on here. 

But sod it, I'm feeling obliging and don't want your efforts being in vain. 

So, in reply to you giving yourself a big pat on the back:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2016-2017/1/

2 seasons ago you were 5th in home league attendance. And of that list the most comparable to yourselves is Newcastle (a one team city of similarish size) , and they almost double your "box office" levels. 

So I'd maybe lay off labeling  yourself a big club some 18 months after Brighton, Derby, and Sheff Wed were all matching you. 

Good luck with it all though! Maybe some success on the pitch will help get you back to a decent level in English football for first time in decades. ?

I have said it many many times that we are a big city club rather than a big club. Our attendances have always been average to ok on the whole. I started watching in the early 80s amoung crowds of 13/14,000 on occasion in 1983 but have also seen us in The Champions League Semi Final so it's all relevant really. Ups and downs much like life. Our away support sets us apart from most other clubs.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

I have said it many many times that we are a big city club rather than a big club. Our attendances have always been average to ok on the whole. I started watching in the early 80s amoung crowds of 13/14,000 on occasion in 1983 but have also seen us in The Champions League Semi Final so it's all relevant really. Ups and downs much like life. Our away support sets us apart from most other clubs.

All sounds pretty fair to me.

Good luck for season anyway.

Actually don't mind u lot after living there for 5 years. My housemate at Uni was Leeds too. Back when we were battling each other late 90's for top 6 in Prem. We bet each other for highest position. Genuinely can't remember who won. 

And like us now you've done the drop to League 1, and I do love a comeback. 

Wouldn't mind seeing u back up the top league.

See, I'm one of the few that don't hate u. ?

You do realise you're viewing figures are so good on Sky cos everyone is tuning in to watch you lose right. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas said:

All sounds pretty fair to me.

Good luck for season anyway.

Actually don't mind u lot after living there for 5 years. My housemate at Uni was Leeds too. Back when we were battling each other late 90's for top 6 in Prem. We bet each other for highest position. Genuinely can't remember who won. 

And like us now you've done the drop to League 1, and I do love a comeback. 

Wouldn't mind seeing u back up the top league.

See, I'm one of the few that don't hate u. ?

You do realise you're viewing figures are so good on Sky cos everyone is tuning in to watch you lose right. ?

We know that mate. Thanks for your kind endorsement of us. We are OK really.  I reckon we had higher finishes in that time probably. Dirty Leeds. We all hate Leeds scum ?

4 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

We know that mate. Thanks for your kind endorsement of us. We are OK really.  I reckon we had higher finishes in that time probably.  ?

We finished above you every Premier League season, often by quite a lot, until the 97/98 season when you pipped us by one place. We got relegated the next season, and subsequently missed the last season of the 90s. Since he said late 90's, yeh he probably lost the bet. 

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

Then lets not forget they also have separate sponsorship deals with Sky Bet who are headquartered in Leeds who therefore pump additional cash into them which other clubs wont get.

Some might consider that a conflict of interest. Especially since they choose to show more games of the team sponsored by Sky Bet than almost anyone else...

• Like 1

• Backroom
7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We finished above you every Premier League season, often by quite a lot, until the 97/98 season when you pipped us by one place. We got relegated the next season, and subsequently missed the last season of the 90s. Since he said late 90's, yeh he probably lost the bet. 

I  remember it was fairly tight all season between us, so must have been that 97/98 year.

Figures really,  I'm a dab hand at losing close season long bets.

Last one was with a Toon mate that they wouldn't win the Championship. Was winning that up till the 89th min of the 46th game when Brighton let a 10 man Villa equalise. (Damn you Grealish!)

This season is us versus Wigan for highest position. Looking good so far, but I'm pretty worried about their new owners splashing some cash in January. 

• Like 1

Middlesbrough another lot who seem to think they're a big club, only unlike Leeds they don't have anything to back that up and unlike Villa, Swansea, Stoke etc. have only had one failed Premier League season in recent years.

Very disappointed that they're charging such prices, note that they can do so because away fans are now along the side of the pitch rather than behind the goals and so can be charged more than their fans. 

This is why putting away fans upstairs at Ewood is necessary only if the club seizes the opportunity to charge away fans more.

The response I would expect to see would be an initial allocation of 3000 for them at Ewood at 30 quid a person and see how many they shift. Doubt we'd see a full Darwen End. Unfortunately they'll get the lower tier at 25 quid.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Middlesborough tickets details have been announced with adults at £30. With only the travel added to this the minimum spend for the majority will be £50. Wasn't a poster on here adamant that watching football is cheap!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/november/ticket-news-middlesbrough-a/

The price what I expected to paid. Off to this and staying over there aswell. I have no idea what the nightlife is like up there but I never will unless I go. Any recommendations for pubs or clubs to go to? or good quality restaurants? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The price what I expected to paid. Off to this and staying over there aswell. I have no idea what the nightlife is like up there but I never will unless I go. Any recommendations for pubs or clubs to go to? or good quality restaurants? 

Heard this is very nice - https://www.rabyhuntrestaurant.co.uk/ 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Boro is always fairly low attended anyway, fair distance away, not great for trains etc.

So at £30 I imagine it will be one of our lowest (weekend) followings of the season...

Just shows that all clubs think the same way. Don’t make any effort to get more people to the games, just milk those that will make the trip “at any cost”. Presumably home fans have to pay the same.

When TV takes over completely (universal red button) and attendances fall again, will clubs lower their prices or raise them again I wonder?

Football clubs blame the armchair fans yet it’s their own pricing strategies keep them sat in them.

Once you get to the point where away fans are in the habit of watching on TV, the final piece of the jigsaw will be in place for the European Super League.

46 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Just shows that all clubs think the same way. Don’t make any effort to get more people to the games, just milk those that will make the trip “at any cost”. Presumably home fans have to pay the same.

When TV takes over completely (universal red button) and attendances fall again, will clubs lower their prices or raise them again I wonder?

Football clubs blame the armchair fans yet it’s their own pricing strategies keep them sat in them.

Once you get to the point where away fans are in the habit of watching on TV, the final piece of the jigsaw will be in place for the European Super League.

I see the PL have appointed a top media executive as the new CEO,  expect even more PL and EFL media exposure.  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know a couple of lads from up there and a fight and a parmo come highly recommended.

New 5 year TV deal signed, the clubs blinked first by the looks of it...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11558301/sky-sports-extends-efl-contract-until-2024-broadcasting-138-live-games-per-season

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/november/efl-statement-efl-and-sky-sports-sign-five-season-deal/

And the red button continues, well more fool the clubs...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46282788

Part of me wants this to kick off big style to see how far it goes. The red button thing has set a dangerous precedent for me and if true that clubs are concerned about it but have been ignored whilst Harvey and his associates steam ahead and sign the deal it just confirms my long held suspicions about what has been going on.

Edited by JHRover

The fall out continues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46282792

‘A number of clubs have said they were not told about the EFL decision to allow Sky to show 'non-TV' midweek games on their red button service. The EFL is equally forthright in its view that they were. The disparity suggests the communication was not delivered effectively.’

BBC once again substituting 'biggest support' for 'best support' as though the two are the same. Just because Aston Villa and Leeds have the 'biggest support' doesn't mean they have the 'best support'. An Accy Stanley season ticket holder is every bit as good as a Leeds season ticket holder, just because there are more of them doesn't make them any better.

• Like 5

It’s like when Newcastle take 3,000 to an away game 

‘what fantastic , passionate support, they deserve success’

Why are any of those fans more passionate than say  the few hundred Carlisle or Exeter fans traipsing massive distances to watch their clubs? They’ve spent decades watching fourth tier plodders too!

• Like 8